Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Appoda posted:

The G13 would be ideal if it wasn't three hundred loving dollars. That's twice as much as what I paid for my mouse! :v: And while there are other keypads with a similar configuration, I've looked; there's almost none that have a true analog stick. Most things you see like the Nostromo are more like 4-8 way buttons.

That looks neat, except for the octagonal gate. I've always hated how those felt on controller analog sticks.

As for the bluetooth conversation, for some reason bluetooth is total rear end on my PC so I don't use it for stuff like game controllers. There's also the whole latency thing; not sure how significant that is, but it's gonna be more than a wire.

As noted, the G13 has been out of production for a while, Amazon and Newegg lets stores jack up the price when they get to "limited stock" or something like that. It's lovely, but quite common. Currently the Logitech G700 mouse is listed for 250 for example.

For Bluetooth, are you using an old version perhaps? Version 5.1 is the absolute latest (Jan. 2019), though I don't think it's been adopted by anything outside of cell phones just yet. 4.0 adapters are everywhere however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, I'm hoping someone out there takes the basic G13 idea and makes something simple and robust. But whatevs. I'll hold half a xbone controller until then.

Re: bluetooth, I'm pretty sure my adapter is a 4.2; it works just fine for other devices, but for some reason the bluetooth stuff is hinky. Don't worry though, I have a steam controller with its own adapter if I ever truly need wireless gaming! :v:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

v1ld posted:

Didn't know of the Rollermouse, but something I did when I had pain from bad typing habits was to switch to a Kinesis Advantage split keyboard. There is enough space between the wells for a trackpad, so I stuck one in there and it was great for quite a few years.

You may be able to do something similar today with so many split keyboards now available. I've personally got a Corne keyboard and a Helix, but there are lots of other splits, including with staggered key layouts, that may let you place a touchpad or trackball in between.

Another option may be to pick up a bluetooth keyboard meant to convert a tablet into a laptop. For instance, any number of good keyboards over at Brydge that have built in trackpads. I have their Pixel Slate keyboard and it's very good as a laptop like keyboard goes, certainly very good for coding. It is pure bluetooth with no connectors involved so it should work in any context you may need it in.

The advantage seems awfully big for my desk, but the Freestyle Pro looks interesting. I suppose with a split keyboard your right hand could also be positioned much closer to the mouse and have less travel. I'm not sure if a trackball between the split would feel right. Maybe just having my arms shoulder width apart would help the neck/shoulder pain. I've got to ponder that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Appoda posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping someone out there takes the basic G13 idea and makes something simple and robust. But whatevs. I'll hold half a xbone controller until then.

Re: bluetooth, I'm pretty sure my adapter is a 4.2; it works just fine for other devices, but for some reason the bluetooth stuff is hinky. Don't worry though, I have a steam controller with its own adapter if I ever truly need wireless gaming! :v:

Razer makes a couple of G13 alternatives/successors, notably with mechanical or optical switches. They're closer in style to the original Belkin Nostromo than the G13, but notably there's a Warehouse Deal of the Orbweaver for a very reasonable $65.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ShadowHawk posted:

I've heard that for ergonomics I should be mousing by moving my arm rather than just wriggling my wrist

Trouble is my hand if I grip a mouse in a reasonable way my wrist ends up hitting the table rather than being in the air, and it's a lot harder to move my arm when it drags my wrist across the table. So I subconsciously end up just wriggling my wrist.

Is there a really big mouse for people with larger glove sizes?

Deathadders are pretty big. Might have some QC problems (I assume the elite doesn't but it's loving expensive). Re wrist/arm - I've never heard of it being that big a deal for ergonomics if you're not doing marathon sessions. For most people using the arm is better for aiming (with a lowish DPI), although some can do pure wrist (there's some CS Pro with an effective DPI of 3,240 for an extreme example).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Khorne posted:

XTD is pretty much the EMP / AIMO right? I sort of wanted to get that, but it is very heavy which is unfortunate. Would be nice if they updated that line.

Nah, XTD has more ergonomic curvature, Kone AIMO is mostly symmetrical (save for the buttons). There's a Kain AIMO too which is more obviously symmetrical (and looks better and is newer).

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

Maybe just having my arms shoulder width apart would help the neck/shoulder pain. I've got to ponder that.

As someone who always used full-size keyboards until I tried using a Kinesis at work on a lark - it absolutely makes a difference. If you're mostly doing typing, a split keyboard will definitely make a difference; if you do a lot of mousing and typing, though, a tenkeyless keyboard might be more suitable.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

As someone who always used full-size keyboards until I tried using a Kinesis at work on a lark - it absolutely makes a difference. If you're mostly doing typing, a split keyboard will definitely make a difference; if you do a lot of mousing and typing, though, a tenkeyless keyboard might be more suitable.

Yeah I already have a tenkeyless but I bought a split keyboard to try. I used a Microsoft ergo keyboard a long long time ago, but so far this actually split keyboard is super weird feeling to type on. I'll post about it in the keyboard thread though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
M65 elite came in. Mostly happy with it. Really glad my thumb doesn't reach the sniper button or the mouse would be unusable. The left wing the thumb rests on I need to get used to, currently when I move the mouse right the right side lifts up off the pad and the plastic even scrapes my mousepad due to downward pressure placed on the thumb wing thing by my hand. Sucks bad, but maybe I'll get used to it. If I don't get used to it I am going to cut it off or uhh put mouse skate tape under it first.

Otherwise it's alright. A little shorter than I thought height wise. The stock feet are bad on hard pads, but that's kinda normal logitech's stock feet also suck on hard pads.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 31, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Does anyone have good recs for lefthanded mice? Wired or wireless is OK. I don't need a poo poo load of buttons.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
The G502 Hero that Logitech replaced my G502 Proteus Spectrum with in January is now starting with the double click/click + drag problems that I originally had with the Proteus Spectrum. Not sure if they'll RMA the RMA they sent me, but I opened a ticket anyway.

In looking up possible solutions to this that I could do myself I stumbled upon this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5BhECVlKJA

which is an over-detailed explanation of what the actual problem is with these switches in these mice. Maybe everyone already knows this and I'm an idiot, but it was a pretty interesting watch. I'm not an electrical engineer so I don't know if he's completely accurate, but it was surprising to see that the switches aren't really at fault in a lot of cases. It seems more like manufacturers are using the wrong switches for the mice they're designing and not compensating for that. Which kind of sucks because it's a problem that is so obtuse to the regular consumer that it's unlikely it will ever get fixed.

If Logitech won't replace this mouse, can anyone recommend me something that won't go bad in 9 months, or tell me if swapping switches out is something a complete novice who has never touched a soldering iron can do? I wouldn't mind trying out those Japanese Omron's he mentions in the video if they'll perform better in the G502 since I do love this mouse.

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 31, 2019

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'm mouse shopping right now and am considering either the Logitech G Pro Hero or G403. Are there any significant differences besides ergonomics and price?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
To state the obvious, the G Pro Hero is wired.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I'm pretty sure they both come in wired and wireless versions, and I'd be looking at the wired ones in any case.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm pretty sure they both come in wired and wireless versions, and I'd be looking at the wired ones in any case.

The G502 is considered to among their best wired mouse - there's even a reddit sub dedicated to it, make of that what you will. It seems to be cheaper than either of the two you're looking at, neither of which I've used.

I have a 502, 602 and a Swiftpoint Z. The 502 is way better than the 602, a difference that can be felt immediately upon using them. The 502's spacey looks get normalized very soon, if that's a concern. If the looks don't bother you, I'd say pick up the 502 as it's one of the best mice I've ever used. I would say best if not for the Z, but the Z has functionality not on any other mouse and is significantly more expensive and uglyfunctional as a consequence.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
502 is good but quite heavy and for most people a bit large. I used one for years and liked it, but for gaming the 120 odd grams is quite noticeable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Appoda posted:

Has anyone tried controller + mouse? I played around with that for Sekiro and it works surprisingly well, though it is kind of awkward to hold half a controller in one hand while using the mouse in the other. A controller intended for one hand with a good analog stick would be preferable.
I do this all the time with third-person shooter games, it's great as long as you don't need a lot of inputs while running around. Something like a Wii nunchuck with more buttons would probably make it even better.

Unfortunately there are a significant number of games that have a "gamepad mode" and a "keyboard/mouse mode" and don't allow the two to be used at the same time. AssCreed is one of the largest names I can think of that pulls this poo poo, IIRC it actually required manually switching between modes, where other titles will just stop listening to gamepads while using kb/m or vice versa.

Its Chocolate posted:

oh I didn't realize you could actually hook up Xbox One controllers with USB, I thought it was just for charging
You were probably thinking of the Xbox 360, where only the fairly rare wired controllers support native USB and the wireless controllers' "Play and Charge" cable is charge-only. To use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with a PC you must have the wireless dongle, though luckily there are fairly cheap knockoffs these days. You can even technically harvest the receiver from a dead Xbox 360 if you happen to have one of those around.

As noted by others the Xbox One controllers are all capable of operating as wired devices using standard cables (MicroUSB on most, USB-C on the latest Elite controller) and they all support a proprietary wireless protocol based on WiFi Direct which is used to communicate with the console or the official dongle. Later models (produced since the introduction of the Xbox One S) also support standard Bluetooth HID mode for use with PCs, phones, tablets, etc.

Regarding Bluetooth, the fact that two of the three major families of game consoles have been using Bluetooth for their controllers for over a decade at this point and continue to do so should put to bed any idea of it being inherently laggy or unsuitable for gaming. The protocol itself is entirely capable of low latency operation, but a lot of PC Bluetooth adapters and protocol stacks are pretty trash so it's hard to guarantee a consistent experience unless you control it end-to-end.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 6, 2020

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Any owners of Razer Basilisk Ultimate or perhaps Viper Ultimate who are experiencing random slow wake up speed? Usually it takes about a second to wake up the mouse but some times it will take 5 or more seconds. I'm wary of Razer quality historically I've never owned a Razer mouse that didn't have a fatal flaw early in its life though I haven't used a Razer mouse since the original Death Adder.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Neurosis posted:

502 is good but quite heavy and for most people a bit large. I used one for years and liked it, but for gaming the 120 odd grams is quite noticeable.

Nonsense. I ended up getting one and added ALL the included extra weights to the mouse. Now I just need to find a way to install stiffer springs on my Unicomp board.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Just built my first pc, courtesy of the build thread. My mouse is skipping/lagging every few seconds. It is a G602 that I've had for over a year- no issues when plugged into my laptop. I downloaded the dumb logitech program to confirm the drivers are up to date. Google suggested turning off "allow device off to save power" for USB ports in device manager and uinstalling/reinstalling via device manager- no change from doing those. Fresh batteries and a clean mouse pad. Any suggestions?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

Just built my first pc, courtesy of the build thread. My mouse is skipping/lagging every few seconds. It is a G602 that I've had for over a year- no issues when plugged into my laptop. I downloaded the dumb logitech program to confirm the drivers are up to date. Google suggested turning off "allow device off to save power" for USB ports in device manager and uinstalling/reinstalling via device manager- no change from doing those. Fresh batteries and a clean mouse pad. Any suggestions?

Move it away from the back of the PC if you're plugged in there, could be interference since it's wireless. Try the front USB ports or a port on your monitor or a hub.

E: I meant don't plug the little wireless receiver dongle into the back of the PC, not moving the mouse itself away! I have a 602 as well and found it to be more laggy with the receiver plugged into the back USB ports where there seems to be more EMF interference.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 12, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FastestGunAlive posted:

Check your motherboard's website for USB drivers. Also change USB port to one on a different controller to check that (different color should be fine, or your monitor/front of pc).

v1ld posted:

Move it away from the back of the PC if you're plugged in there, could be interference since it's wireless. Try the front USB ports or a port on your monitor or a hub.
This is also good to eliminate variables.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 12, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is there a recommendation for low cost productivity mice that have a GREAT sensor?

Like I'm trying to get my work to buy new mice because the cheap ones we have are constantly not sending inputs due to our lack of mousepad.

We cannot have mouse pads because they wear out too quickly, so we end up using our desks directly; it seems like due to the color and specularity of our desks, they're they just stop responding until they are lifted off and reset down.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Wasabi the J posted:

We cannot have mouse pads because they wear out too quickly

I'm thinking this is the part you need to address. Unless your work uniform is mandatory long-sleeved sandpaper shirts, this should not be happening.

Even really good sensors don't track well on bad enough surfaces, and there are a lot of options for more durable surfaces that will track well.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
So obvious... thanks V1ld

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's a 24 hour manned NOC so everything gets used 24/7

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You can buy bulk mouse pads for under a buck each, and even with 24/7 use I doubt they'd wear out in less than 6 months. They'd probably last more than a year with a quick cleaning every once and a while.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FastestGunAlive posted:

USB 3.0 can add interference to 2.4 GHz wireless devices (I'm assuming that's what the mouse is using), the mainboard (USB port layout etc.) and case will influence that too.

I also had Logitech wireless mice for ages and on notebooks I never had problems, and for my desktop I used the USB extender cables that came with the mice.

If I use the receivers directly plugged into my SFF box the same mice started randomly lagging or temporarily lost connection, especially if I was more than about 1 m from the case. I also use an extender for the receiver now and everything is fine again, so I thing it's either normal interference with a boost by USB 3.0 :v:, but could also be the case's fault (the SFF box is a Dan A4 so everything is really close together).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I've heard that the g602 has issues with logitech G Hub software, maybe hit up oldversion.com and get Logitech Gaming Software 9.xx. though if it was having this problem before you installed the software that probably isn't it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Logitech works decent without extra drivers. Do the problems occur regardless of what you have installed for the mouse?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
So I've been fighting with muscle damage on my right hand (pinkie finger basically hurts from holding mouse and it's localized exclusively to that spot) and I'm trying to find something that would fit my hand best. Out of desparation I got a Razer Abyssus, since I remember it being one of the few mice I used where my hand didn't feel awkward. It's working out nicely, but it's main issue is it's not long and it doesn't quite feel tall enough through the middle. Is there any mice that would be similiar in weight and width to this while being a bit taller? if I get something too heavy my hand will definitely start hurting again, so I have to be careful with that sort of thing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Have you considered a trackball so you don't have to move the mouse at all? I've started using an index finger trackball at work and it's pretty nice, adjusted to it pretty quickly. They have another model named the Huge which is apparently better for smaller hands. :shrug:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Not gonna be particularly useful for finding a mouse to get better with, but I'm gonna yet again harp on the thought that maybe the reason you got injured in the first place is having a sensitivity/DPI that's too high. You should not need to squeeze your mouse with your pinkie to get precision. Let your arm do more work so your hand can be more relaxed. The other thing to consider is wrist angle. Getting a mouse that alleviates symptoms is good and all, but you need to address the source of the problem. You don't want to live with hand pain for the rest of your life.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I tried a trackball. It was kind of a mess and I couldn't ever get comfortable. (also my fingers started hurting from the rotation movements after about 30 minutes but my arm control is fine)

K8.0 posted:

Not gonna be particularly useful for finding a mouse to get better with, but I'm gonna yet again harp on the thought that maybe the reason you got injured in the first place is having a sensitivity/DPI that's too high. You should not need to squeeze your mouse with your pinkie to get precision. Let your arm do more work so your hand can be more relaxed. The other thing to consider is wrist angle. Getting a mouse that alleviates symptoms is good and all, but you need to address the source of the problem. You don't want to live with hand pain for the rest of your life.

I never considered that. I could try knocking it down some if that helps.
I think part of why this issue happened at all was because of having to press down on the middle mouse button constantly while doing 3D modelling. from there my hand started gripping with my pinkie to hold the thing steady, and years of that has caused this issue. alot of it is honestly that the button is usually too close in and too low, but not much I can do about that because nearly all these mice are designed that way.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 19, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Another idea is mix up your mouse bindings. Maybe get a mouse that gives you an extra side button that's easy to reach that you can bind to middle mouse. Whatever it takes to get the injury-causing motion to stop happening.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Yeah, I absolutely would want to do that. if it were somewhere close to my thumb I'd give that a shot. there's ONE mouse that seems to do that that was a Kickstarter thing, but I forgot the name of it. I know it had a joystick on the side of it and a bunch of axis controllers like a 3D mouse would normally have.

EDIT: this thing https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/665701421/the-most-accurate-and-versatile-gaming-mouse-ever
Honestly something like this would probably remove the need to even use the scroll wheel or middle mouse button altogether. It's a 3D mouse without being 1000 dollars, at the very least.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 19, 2020

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Yeah, I absolutely would want to do that. if it were somewhere close to my thumb I'd give that a shot. there's ONE mouse that seems to do that that was a Kickstarter thing, but I forgot the name of it. I know it had a joystick on the side of it and a bunch of axis controllers like a 3D mouse would normally have.

EDIT: this thing https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/665701421/the-most-accurate-and-versatile-gaming-mouse-ever
Honestly something like this would probably remove the need to even use the scroll wheel or middle mouse button altogether. It's a 3D mouse without being 1000 dollars, at the very least.

You might end up with more/same issues trying to use that though, as you'd be tilting the mouse itself plus trying to use the joystick. If the feet are particularly slick (and/or your mouse pad is), you'll more than likely end up pinching your mouse all over again. That and you are going to be fighting a lot of muscle memory.

A lot of manufacturer's make mice with multiple side buttons. There are one's with a literal numpad on the side from Logitech, Razer, and Steelseries (search for "MMO Mouse").

Logitech has the G602 with 6 side buttons that can be had for 30 bucks or less quite often and has really good battery life. Though the buttons are a touch on the small side.

Razer has a mouse that has interchangeable side panels that can give you 2, 7 or 12 side buttons (Naga Trinity).

There are also mice with buttons on both sides.

Of course, numerous Chinese knock-offs of all of those as well.

All the major manufacturer's have the option to re-map all their buttons. I think most of them can even have different mappings trigger only in certain programs (I know Logitech can do this, and it usually works quite well). Some allow you to set new mappings in the software, save it to the mouse, then turn off the software.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

For a "good enough" cheap gaming mouse, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Redragon M652 for around US$13. I got it as something to temporarily place my Logitech G403 which I need to RMA because of it's poo poo quality scroll wheel, but I might just use it full time instead.

It feels pretty good in the hand, and it's pretty nice not having to recharge the mouse daily and having a scroll wheel that actually works without constantly trying to deal with its lovely rotary encoder that constantly craps out. And while I'm sure I could get a mouse with a much better sensor, this one works well enough and has a stable wireless connection for my lovely old gaming reflexes to deal with.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Diabetes Forecast posted:

So I've been fighting with muscle damage on my right hand (pinkie finger basically hurts from holding mouse and it's localized exclusively to that spot) and I'm trying to find something that would fit my hand best. Out of desparation I got a Razer Abyssus, since I remember it being one of the few mice I used where my hand didn't feel awkward. It's working out nicely, but it's main issue is it's not long and it doesn't quite feel tall enough through the middle. Is there any mice that would be similiar in weight and width to this while being a bit taller? if I get something too heavy my hand will definitely start hurting again, so I have to be careful with that sort of thing.

the new Viper is ambidextrous and 9mm longer/2mm higher. Not sure if that would help

but also maybe try a wider mouse in addition to lower sens? with a narrow mouse and high sens you're squeezing your hand inward both to hold something uncomfortably narrow and to be precise. I used to like ambi mice but as they're generally more narrow, over the years it started to get uncomfortable to grip them for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

emdash posted:

the new Viper is ambidextrous and 9mm longer/2mm higher. Not sure if that would help

but also maybe try a wider mouse in addition to lower sens? with a narrow mouse and high sens you're squeezing your hand inward both to hold something uncomfortably narrow and to be precise. I used to like ambi mice but as they're generally more narrow, over the years it started to get uncomfortable to grip them for a long time

I actually am swapping back from right handed mice, and my experience with the situation from Death Adder to vertical mouse to trackball to CADmouse was almost all the same. lovely grip surfaces (had to buy grip tape to put on the CADmouse and even that didn't help that well), heavier overall weight leading to having to hold it tighter to reposition, and the awful insistence on having a MASSIVE thumb indention. it's been one thing after another when I swapped to non-ambidextrous mice, and I feel like that DeathAdder caused the injury besides my job requiring me to deal with high weight loads.