Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

TACD posted:

So Boris' Oven-Ready Deal™ has gone into the bin? Not surprising I suppose.

Thanks all!

No this is it, it was just that our terrible media never pushed the point that leaving the EU was a moment in time but the reorganizing of our international relationships has to happen afterwards and will take time.

Basically February is going to be full of announcements of post Brexit policies which are 100% internal and could have been done in the EU and then the next 10 months is a slow pressure building as negotiations still happen and little progress is made and we see what social forces are pressuring the Tories the most to see where they buckle. So they'll probably sell out everything to protect the City but that depends exactly how disaster capitalist they actually are and might just want to fire sale the entire country and then escape in the aircraft carrier.

namesake fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Anyone ever wonder what the country would look like if the Restoration had never happened?

Like, the answer is probably "a hereditary Puritan theocracy" because there is always more and it is always worse but imagine living in the three hundred and seventy one year old Commonwealth of Britain.
Would there still have been a bourgeois revolution in the late 17th century and a bunch of Liberal philosophy following it? Would Hobbes' Behemoth be more famous than Leviathan? Would there have been a union in 1707?

What of workers' democracies that gained power? Would they manage better gains or have been destroyed with more force?

What would have happened with America with no king in Britain to rally against, but with a bunch of wealthy Royalists fleeing to Virginia and the Carolinas?

What would have been the equivalent of the Victorian Era?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah can someone please clarify. Is this the man who was racist on question time? Because I'd never seen it heard of him before this week, and I'm an active consumer of bad detective shows.
Isn't it the guy who doesn't date women under 35 because he's banned from schools despite his, and I quote the counsel for the defence, sick motor?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Thanks all!

He never had a deal, the transition agreement was what he signed up to, it's literally what May had with northern ireland lopped off.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Puntification posted:

Who is this guy?

Actor. Plays D.Sgt Hathaway, the sidekick in Lewis. Related in some way to actor Emilia Fox.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

He never had a deal, the transition agreement was what he signed up to, it's literally what May had with northern ireland lopped off.

Wouldn't it be a beautiful irony if, after the 'ra failed to assassinate Thatcher, Boris hosed off the unionists so hard he got blown up by whatever's left of the UVF

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Problem with hard right lunatics assassinating sitting MPs is that it just shifts everything a bit further to the right.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Problem with hard right lunatics assassinating sitting MPs is that it just shifts everything a bit further to the right.

let me have this dream, guva

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

So does hard right lunatics not assassinating sitting MPs because they moved to the right of their own free will.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TACD posted:

Thanks all!

Also Javid has already publicly thrown the manufacturing sector under the bus by saying the UK will not align to EU regulations, and they had three years to prepare so what are they complaining about. Completely ignoring, of course, that the Conservative government spent much of those three years doing either a) gently caress all or b) assuring the manufacturing sector that they would continue to be able to trade with the EU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

So does hard right lunatics not assassinating sitting MPs because they moved to the right of their own free will.
I still continue to be disturbed by the fact that a neo nazi assassinated a sitting MP in the street for political reasons and the reaction was within weeks turned into a tragedy about a brave mother killed by a quiet gardener rather than that a neo nazi assassinated a sitting MP in the street for political reasons.

I guess National Action and their subgroups Atonal Inaction and Definitely Not National Action got banned from having stickers over it. :effort:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Apologies for the express, but this is a typical example of how brexit has been turned into a sport, with non of the complexities of what it actually means being important, just ‘winning’.

quote:

Listeners of the interview took to Twitter to mock the Remaniac podcast host and his complaints.

One viewer said: “Remoaners deserve their faces rubbed in Brexit. Three and a half years of attempting to tear up the result of the ballot box, let the nose rubbing begin.

Another added: “Big Ben is the property of the people of the United Kingdom who the majority who voted to leave the EU.

Constant ‘remoaners’, ‘remaniacs’ and us-v-them. They don’t give a poo poo about what it means, they care that they won.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Red Oktober posted:

Apologies for the express, but this is a typical example of how brexit has been turned into a sport, with non of the complexities of what it actually means being important, just ‘winning’.

Constant ‘remoaners’, ‘remaniacs’ and us-v-them. They don’t give a poo poo about what it means, they care that they won.

this has literally been the case since the day after the referendum lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I had the chance to date this girl and now she's really hot fml

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51149531

quote:

Brexit: Big Ben fundraiser given £50,000

Millionaire businessman Arron Banks and the Leave Means Leave group have donated £50,000 to a campaign to make Big Ben ring when the UK leaves the EU.

An online appeal has raised more than £200,000, with the cost of making the famous bell work in time for the one-off event estimated to be £500,000.

Big Ben is being renovated, but the PM this week suggested a fund be set up to make it chime at 23:00 on 31 January.

But the MPs' group running Parliament doubts this is feasible.

The House of Commons Commission estimates that getting the bell to ring during renovation works on the Palace of Westminster's Elizabeth Tower, which houses Big Ben, would cost between £350,000 and £500,000.

It says this would involve bringing back the chiming mechanism and installing a temporary floor, and delays to the conservation work.

The commission argues the estimated costs could not be justified, and questions the idea that public donations should cover them.

But the campaign group Stand Up 4 Brexit's "Big Ben must bong for Brexit" campaign had raised more than £200,000 on the GofFundMe website by Friday afternoon.

Conservative MP Mark Francois told BBC Radio 4's The World at One that the pro-Brexit Leave Means Leave campaign and Mr Banks had donated £50,000.

He queried whether the cost of getting the bell to ring again was really £500,000, adding that he believed officials had "deliberately inflated the figure" because "they don't want to do it".

"Don't tell me it takes two weeks to attach a clapper to a bell," he said.

Mr Francois also said he believed the prime minister should table a motion in the Commons on Monday to compel the Commons authorities to bong Big Ben.

He said Boris Johnson was the one who had "fired the starting gun" on the campaign by suggesting public donations during his BBC Breakfast interview on Tuesday.

Responding to a question in Parliament from Mr Francois, Sir Paul Beresford - a member of the commission - said the cost of ringing the bell on New Year's Eve and Remembrance Sunday in 2019 had totalled £14,200.

"The striking of Big Ben on these occasions was co-ordinated around the planned works so as to minimise the impact on the project costs and to ensure it did not result in any delay," Sir Paul said.

"If the project team are required to strike the bell with less notice, the costs would substantially increase due to the unexpected impact on the project schedule."

Downing Street has said the chiming of Big Ben is "a matter for the House" of Commons.

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle, who is chairman of the Commons Commission, said: "You are talking about £50,000 a bong."

Nice PR for Arron Banks to give a bung to his side's new grift fund and have it trumpeted by the BBC.

Parts that stand out to me:

quote:

Big Ben is being renovated, but the PM this week suggested a fund be set up to make it chime at 23:00 on 31 January.

But the MPs' group running Parliament doubts this is feasible.

The MPs' group running parliament? Is that not the government?

Oh! It refers to:

quote:

The House of Commons Commission estimates that getting the bell to ring during renovation works on the Palace of Westminster's Elizabeth Tower, which houses Big Ben, would cost between £350,000 and £500,000.

It says this would involve bringing back the chiming mechanism and installing a temporary floor, and delays to the conservation work.

The commission argues the estimated costs could not be justified, and questions the idea that public donations should cover them.

Setting up a conflict between plucky Boris and the doubting remoaners who run (administer) Parliament and want to stop anything Brexit related out of petulance.

quote:

Conservative MP Mark Francois told BBC Radio 4's The World at One that the pro-Brexit Leave Means Leave campaign and Mr Banks had donated £50,000.

He queried whether the cost of getting the bell to ring again was really £500,000, adding that he believed officials had "deliberately inflated the figure" because "they don't want to do it".

Oh hey, the rhetoric gets stronger. That treacherous House of Commons Commission and their 'practical concerns'.

quote:

Mr Francois also said he believed the prime minister should table a motion in the Commons on Monday to compel the Commons authorities to bong Big Ben.

Oh hey, looks like we're getting more power for the executive on the back of this entirely fabricated controversy.

quote:

Responding to a question in Parliament from Mr Francois, Sir Paul Beresford - a member of the commission - said the cost of ringing the bell on New Year's Eve and Remembrance Sunday in 2019 had totalled £14,200.

"The striking of Big Ben on these occasions was co-ordinated around the planned works so as to minimise the impact on the project costs and to ensure it did not result in any delay," Sir Paul said.

"If the project team are required to strike the bell with less notice, the costs would substantially increase due to the unexpected impact on the project schedule."

Oh hey, the HoCC's estimates are in fact reasonable given the nature of the proposal. Shame this is at the bottom of the article, below everyone calling them snivelling remoaner liars.

One last bit out of order:

quote:

[Mark Francois] said Boris Johnson was the one who had "fired the starting gun" on the campaign by suggesting public donations during his BBC Breakfast interview on Tuesday.

Yes, the Prime Minister started a grift fund for his mates and for his own political benefit, as if he doesn't control the country's finances. The leader of the governing party is an outsider bravely battling those who would thwart Brexit.

Remember, if Big Ben bongs, plucky Boris made it happen! And if it doesn't, remoaner traitors did it!

This is a prime example of the collusion between the governing party and media organisations. The national discourse is what they want it to be. We're seeing what they do with that power.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 20, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's almost as if the whole thing is just a diversion away from the actual meat of the deal....

Boris' barebones Brexit bargain begets bogus Big Ben bong barny.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Don't tell me it takes two weeks to attach a clapper," says bell end expert.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Red Oktober posted:

I watched a YouTube vid from the Telegraph the other day, 12 reasons why Big Ben should ring for Brexit, hosted by a JRM lookalike. I thought it was parody it was so bad, but there were no comments so I couldn't be sure. So much moaning about "remoaners" though. Had my ad blocker on at least, don't wanna give them any revenue...

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Red Oktober posted:

'Remainiacs' is the actual name of their podcast. Believe me if you listen to it, you'd want to rub Brexit in their faces as well.

The latest episode included such gems as - implying the green new deal is European. Describing the EU as the "greatest peace project in the history of the world". Ranting that RBL must be defeated and that she is untrustworthy and a hardcore brexiter, while implying Lisa Nandy is the real europhiles choice.

Edit: My favorite Alex Andreou moment was where two weeks before the election (despite his constant demands for a second referendum) he said: "I don't care who wins, because either we will get a decent government, or get a decent opposition." which betrays the stark contradiction at the heart of the liberal mindset. That the left actually offers everything they say they want, yet simultaneously through their actions fight tooth and nail to prevent.

He has since joined the Labour Party to vote for Jess Philips.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 20, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Does anybody know how the labour leadership hustings work? Are there audience questions or is it just pre approved questions? Considering if it's worth going but only if I can yell at them not to tack right to appease the media.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ChinnyHonk/status/1219173636617228288

The subject was barely discussed for three decades except ALL THE loving TIME CHRIST

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Guavanaut posted:

Would there still have been a bourgeois revolution in the late 17th century and a bunch of Liberal philosophy following it? Would Hobbes' Behemoth be more famous than Leviathan? Would there have been a union in 1707?

What of workers' democracies that gained power? Would they manage better gains or have been destroyed with more force?

What would have happened with America with no king in Britain to rally against, but with a bunch of wealthy Royalists fleeing to Virginia and the Carolinas?

What would have been the equivalent of the Victorian Era?

If you want to get this serious with it we should probably start by figuring out how the Restoration is avoided and what sort of political culture emerges once things shake out.

Miftan posted:

Does anybody know how the labour leadership hustings work? Are there audience questions or is it just pre approved questions? Considering if it's worth going but only if I can yell at them not to tack right to appease the media.

Every hustings I've ever been to took questions from the floor. One of those was a Scottish leader hustings, but I've not been to a national leader one yet.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I'm pretty sure the whole point of a hustings is that it's a public open floor? Might get off my arse and go to one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
At the hustings for selecting our GE candidate organised by Welsh Useless Labour there were NO questions from the floor allowed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

If you want to get this serious with it we should probably start by figuring out how the Restoration is avoided and what sort of political culture emerges once things shake out.
Charles II's boat sinks on its way back from the Netherlands leading to a period of national mourning during which James attempts to take the throne and dies of Popery.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

WhatEvil posted:

Eh. Luton's pretty inoffensive. Easier to get to from lots of places than either London or Birmingham airports.

Calling it "London Luton" is a piss take, though.

Why? It's only 30m on the train to St Pancras which is pretty in line with getting to any of the other airports.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

HappyCamperGL posted:

Actor. Plays D.Sgt Hathaway, the sidekick in Lewis. Related in some way to actor Emilia Fox.

So he's the sidekick's sidekick? Why is he suddenly all over the place? What did he do to get this platform?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Why? It's only 30m on the train to St Pancras which is pretty in line with getting to any of the other airports.

Hey Llamas, so did you end drinking alone with Tim on Saturday? lol if so.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Charles II's boat sinks on its way back from the Netherlands leading to a period of national mourning during which James attempts to take the throne and dies of Popery.

But that would rob us of the best parenthetical statement in English Literature

Samuel Pepys, 25th May 1660 posted:

I went, and Mr. Mansell, and one of the King’s footmen, with a dog that the King loved, (which poo poo in the boat, which made us laugh, and me think that a King and all that belong to him are but just as others are), in a boat by ourselves

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

HappyCamperGL posted:

Thanks!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Miftan posted:

I mean you can yell at them either way, you just might get escorted out by security if you do it without being invited.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean you can yell at them either way, you just might get escorted out by security if you do it without being invited.

That was always part of the plan.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

I had the chance to date this girl and now she's really hot fml

ugly ducklings strike again

meanwhile I was pretty good looking back then and now I'm a terrible goon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is a lovely day in the village and we are all horrible goons.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So he's the sidekick's sidekick? Why is he suddenly all over the place? What did he do to get this platform?

Best I can tell, it started on QT, and now he's some gammon anti-woke champion saying that black and working class actors should know their place and not complain about being black and working class if they get famous. Or some poo poo. And other stuff that amounts to "What if Jordon Peterson, but a bit part actor from a spin off of a detective tv show".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

"What if Jordon Peterson, but a bit part actor from a spin off of a detective tv show".

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

loving :lol:
---

Unrelated, Jessflaps already setting up excuses if she fails to become labour leader:

"Hustings are a bad way to decide who would make a good Labour leader posted:

I said at the beginning of this process that I would tell the truth. I said that I was the bold choice and only bold could beat Boris Johnson, and I meant it. And then I did something I didn’t think I would do, and I stopped being bold. I didn’t lie, but I certainly stopped being real. I really believe that authentic, big-hearted, funny, kind and different politics is the only way to beat Johnson. So I am going to practise it.

So now for the honesty.

I hated the first hustings on Saturday. Genuinely the most inspiring moment was the sound of a baby crying in the audience. That was Baby Alfie, whose mother I knocked doors with while he was still safe in the womb. She knocked doors in the rain, in a seat we lost, while she was nine months pregnant and in possible slow labour.

The hustings was awful. I was awful because I was trying to hit a million different lines and messages in 40 seconds. Some were my lines, some were other people’s, and it fell flat.

It was not all my failing. The format of the hustings is terrible. To answer any question in 40 seconds is ridiculous. If it were possible to sum up, for example, an economic plan or an industrial strategy in 40 seconds, one wonders why they are actually hundreds of pages long. What a ridiculous farce.

[...]

Ready for some more honesty? The likelihood that anyone but Keir Starmer or Rebecca Long-Bailey is going to win is, well, pretty low. Shock horror! What I am meant to say is, “Anything is possible, the campaign is long.” I get it. I am not blind. The likelihood of someone like me, who speaks like I do and says the things I say, ever being elected to be a party leader is slim. So I tried to do what was required, to learn lines, appear statesmanlike (as if!) and say the things I am meant to say. Turns out I cannot do it, because when I try it looks fake.

Also, I don’t think it is what leadership actually looks like. Leadership to me is deeds not words.

[...]

I might not look the most like a prime minister in this race. I cannot win that war so I am going to stop fighting it. I am going to do the thing that made tens of thousands of people ask me to run to be the leader. I am going to say what I think. I probably won’t win, but I am guessing that I might just inspire others to give it a go, too. I believe that the only way to beat a compulsive liar, who thinks only of himself but has the gift of the gab, is to be brutally honest, give a real toss about the people in our country and also have the gift of the gab. I could be wrong, but I would rather give this way a go than ever deliver a line in 40 seconds again.

TBF she isn't wrong about the format of the hustings necessarily , but holy hell that's a lot of laying groundwork for excuses about why it's likely she's going to have her arse handed to her.

Did a frequency count on the text; you'll all be shocked to know the 2nd highest word frequency at 48 out of 964 was the pronoun, "I". :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

ugly ducklings strike again

Nah she was always very pretty, I just did not have my poo poo together at all at that time

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I mean, hustings aren't how we decide who is Labour leader. The election is. I'd bet that a significant proportion iof the membership never actually see a hustings.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Desiderata posted:

'Remainiacs' is the actual name of their podcast. Believe me if you listen to it, you'd want to rub Brexit in their faces as well.

The latest episode included such gems as - implying the green new deal is European. Describing the EU as the "greatest peace project in the history of the world". Ranting that RBL must be defeated and that she is untrustworthy and a hardcore brexiter, while implying Lisa Nandy is the real europhiles choice.

i mean, Timmermans is EU commissioner in charge of the Green New Deal and the EU is/was an explicit peace project. I have a lot of problems with the current undemocratic and bourgeois EU institutions but I have to admit that this level of peaceful cooperation between, for instance, Germany and France or the UK would've been impossible without the ESCS and the EEC. As flawed as the EU is, European integration has not been without its advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean, hustings aren't how we decide who is Labour leader. The election is. I'd bet that a significant proportion iof the membership never actually see a hustings.

I meant in the sense of 40 secs to answer a question - but it's clear why that's there - too easy to waffle on otherwise. And yeah, the actual election is the important thing, it's just amusing to see her flub it - even though she's clearly doing this to boost her profile rather than having any actual expectations of winning.