Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Kitfox88 posted:

Oh, I thought they were ones that actually totally removed the quests from the game. :v:
I think Skyrim Unbound is the one that lets you disable the quests entirely, remove dragons, and make the World Walls inert. So you can just do what you want from there, and pick your starting location (including random), starting equipment/class etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Not really a little thing, since it's throughout the entire game, but Katamari Damacy's soundtrack is ridiculously good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not really a little thing, since it's throughout the entire game, but Katamari Damacy's soundtrack is ridiculously good.

Nah.

na na na na na na na na~

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mierenneuker posted:

Nah.

na na na na na na na na~

KA-TA-MARI DO YOUR BEST

gently caress that song is still stuck in my head even a decade later

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will never not interrupt the king in the middle of his stage-opener monologues causing him to freak out and whine so loudly that the speech bubble covers up half the screen

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've still been playing a ton of Breath of the Wild lately, and I appreciate the little touches of how arrows (and anything made of wood) behave once you actively equip them - you can walk up to flames to set the arrowheads on fire, rain will put them out, and if you're in a hot enough area they'll spontaneously light up. Also, in this environment bomb arrows will spontaneously explode when you draw them, something that makes complete sense but I'd never even considered and which definitely didn't take several rounds of damaging myself to figure out what was happening :downs:

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite's Cortez just killing time waiting for the lift in the cyberpunk era with a spy who was investigating the same facility.

"So, uh... you been with the company long?"

"...You get dental?"

And of course; "It's TIME to SPLIT!" ":stare:.... I'll get the next one..."

The best cut scene imo is the train breaking scene. I think it was the first time I saw deceptive camera work utilised ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jF1HkJfgK8&t=24m50s

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’m playing Metal Max Returns and it’s full of little things that make it stand out of SNES-era RPGs. Fast travel is unlocked pretty early and costs nothing, death has no penalty aside from teleporting you back to a town, every type of shopkeeper (there’s about a dozen) has a unique sprite so you can immediately tell who sells what. Attacks have different animations for missing or glancing off armor, and there’s an option to have battles automatically move through each turn and just summarize the results at the end. I’m referring to a guide for some parts because it’s pretty open and doesn’t guide you along, but it’s really impressed me.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've still been playing a ton of Breath of the Wild lately, and I appreciate the little touches of how arrows (and anything made of wood) behave once you actively equip them - you can walk up to flames to set the arrowheads on fire, rain will put them out, and if you're in a hot enough area they'll spontaneously light up. Also, in this environment bomb arrows will spontaneously explode when you draw them, something that makes complete sense but I'd never even considered and which definitely didn't take several rounds of damaging myself to figure out what was happening :downs:

I made myself play blind for a long time, and figuring out what the loving deal with lightning was a real revelation.

Also I bought hard into the promise of beating the intro plateau and then being able to do whatever the gently caress you want, so I jumped off in a random direction and never found the loving inventory upgrade dude on my own. Had like 130 koroks before I broke down and looked it up.

That game had such a sick engine though. I remember back in Ocarina of Time, trying to drop lit bombs onto switches hoping it would weigh them down and then being disappointed it didnt work. In BotW, you can go into your inventory and drop a bunch of fruit or weapons or whatever and it will actually work, they'll weigh switches down, and different types of switches respond to different amounts of weight.

poo poo, some of the puzzles are things like completing electrical circuits built into the ground by manipulating switches and environmental objects within the room, and you can totally cheese them by dropping a bunch of metal spears from your inventory and bridging gaps between electrical points that way, and it totally works. Nowhere in the game is this hinted at, you just know that metal attracts lightning and try it out, and it works. So cool.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Jan 20, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing the original Just Cause because I never got around to it but it sounded fun, and I like how arcadey the action is. You have a ton of health, so you can just run in willy nilly and start shooting and it's fine, which is nice given how the protagonists of many open world games are made of paper. Also the game asking if you want to save it instead of forcing you to walk to a camp is a nice feature. The narratives behind the collectibles are cute too. Also the freeform nature of the map, I was able to just walk along the cliffs and hop onto the exterior wall of the prison, only having to deal with the gates on the way out.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Jan 20, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The original Just Cause is extremely rough. A showcase of how much games can change in a few years. I imagine the arrival of better hardware with the 360 and PS3 also helped

I could still see myself playing Just Cause 2, but the original.... oof. That post-GTA 3 era produced some games that were ambitious for the time, but have not aged well. Except for a video game connoisseur like you, BioEnchanted :)

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Jan 20, 2020

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I've only played JC3, but I love it dearly because it's such a masterpiece of rear end in a top hat physics. I'll never get tired of using the grappling hook to drag something heavy onto a busy road and watch the AI use the cars and people to create accidental, emergent carnage while trying to pathfind around it.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mierenneuker posted:

The original Just Cause is extremely rough. A showcase of how much games can change in a few years. I imagine the arrival of better hardware with the 360 and PS3 also helped

I could still see myself playing Just Cause 2, but the original.... oof. That post-GTA 3 era produced some games that were ambitious for the time, but have not aged well. Except for a video game connoisseur like you, BioEnchanted :)

Yeah I've played the whole series (and leave 3 on my PS4 for when I just want to chill out and fly around for a bit) but playing 2 again recently was hard enough work. (And the voice acting, oh my god. "my name is Bolo Santosee"). I can't imagine going back to 1.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Bio just played through GTAIII, nothing can phase him.

Pretty neat that GTAIII is the basic template of a huge genre of AAA games even now, 20 years later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Bio just played through GTAIII, nothing can phase him.

I actually got stuck on that one, at the building site raid. The mission where you have to go to the airport, then the building site, broke me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 1 minute!

Mierenneuker posted:

The GTA ripoffs of that era were almost always terrible, but the sequels of those games were all probably more worth picking up than any GTA games contemporary to them. Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs, plus Saints Row and Crackdown if we expand the window a little bit.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
One more Metal Max Returns thing, only because it’s so important: 100% chance to run away. There’s a bit of managing your exp and what enemies you kill, and the encounter makeup can shift kind of wildly due to being able to explore pretty freely, so it’s so refreshing to just be able to run away from everything. There are Wanted monsters that are like bosses you can randomly encounter in some areas, and you can spend a turn throwing a tracker on them and then run away, and you’ll be able to find that monster on your map when you’re better prepared.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

The GTA ripoffs of that era were almost always terrible, but the sequels of those games were all probably more worth picking up than any GTA games contemporary to them. Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs, plus Saints Row and Crackdown if we expand the window a little bit.
Yeah they usually tried to copy GTA(3) with a different plot/setting, but didn't have experience with the formula. By the time they released sequels they had developed improvements to actual gameplay systems.

Meanwhile Rockstar just moved 3D GTA to other cities and then to the HD age. Gameplay is not important anyway, please play our interactive gangster movie.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

One more Metal Max Returns thing, only because it’s so important: 100% chance to run away. There’s a bit of managing your exp and what enemies you kill, and the encounter makeup can shift kind of wildly due to being able to explore pretty freely, so it’s so refreshing to just be able to run away from everything. There are Wanted monsters that are like bosses you can randomly encounter in some areas, and you can spend a turn throwing a tracker on them and then run away, and you’ll be able to find that monster on your map when you’re better prepared.

I was intrigued so I looked this up on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Max_(video_game)

quote:

Metal Max (メタルマックス, Metaru Makkusu) is a 1991 Japanese video game co-developed by Crea-Tech and Data East and was published by Data East for the Nintendo Famicom. It is a turn-based, nonlinear, open world, vehicle combat, role-playing video game and the first of the Metal Max series.

Metal Max is set in a futuristic post-apocalyptic world, where the surviving humans cluster in underground villages and ruins while "monster hunters" fight the monsters and outlaws outside.The game got a sequel, Metal Max 2, and was remade for the Super Famicom as Metal Max Returns. A direct sequel Metal Saga: Season of Steel was published in 2006 for Nintendo DS.

You must be playing some sort of translation? What made you want to seek this game out, it seems pretty neat and I've never heard of it.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Metal Saga: Season of Steel sounds like a Harvest Moon game where everyone and everything is robots.

Also I wish for it to be on the record that Crackdown 1 is the superior game in the franchise, with 2 replacing most of the gangs and gunplay with firing solar lasers at mutants, like a r18 movie that gets a Saturday morning cartoon.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Also I bought hard into the promise of beating the intro plateau and then being able to do whatever the gently caress you want, so I jumped off in a random direction and never found the loving inventory upgrade dude on my own. Had like 130 koroks before I broke down and looked it up.

I managed to totally miss all the great fairy fountains even though the game pretty much points you right at it so I beat most of the game before realizing I could upgrade armour. Made combat a whole lot harder than it needed to be

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Olaf The Stout posted:

I was intrigued so I looked this up on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Max_(video_game)

You must be playing some sort of translation? What made you want to seek this game out, it seems pretty neat and I've never heard of it.

It came up on a video by SNES Drunk. I’m kinda familiar with the series although I’d never played one, and there’s a pretty good fan translation. I wasn’t prepared for how attentive the developers were for the little things. Like, when your in a tank you’re limited to tank options, but in something like the Buggy, with a more open top, you can attack with your equipped weapon as well as whatever you’ve slapped on the vehicle. This is nice because the second party member you find is a mechanic and can disable mechanical vehicles when equipped with a wrench. A wrench that throws like a boomerang and either comes back to him or bounces off the enemy and lands in the field. Just a real pleasing amount of little details stuffed in a 16-bit RPG

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

orcane posted:

Meanwhile Rockstar just moved 3D GTA to other cities and then to the HD age. Gameplay is not important anyway, please play our interactive gangster movie.

Eh, GTAV was a huge improvement on the tone they tried out with IV. And the gameplay was pretty incredible by 2013 standards.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The tone of GTAIV aged better than V.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

spongepuppy posted:

I've only played JC3, but I love it dearly because it's such a masterpiece of rear end in a top hat physics. I'll never get tired of using the grappling hook to drag something heavy onto a busy road and watch the AI use the cars and people to create accidental, emergent carnage while trying to pathfind around it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYuDCst06WQ

My favourite GTA clone were the True Crime games for some rasin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Olaf The Stout posted:

That game had such a sick engine though.

Yep, it is super well designed, especially as a big first step in that direction. I still have problems with some of the game design, but it's clicking a lot better on this playthrough so I'm really looking forward to the sequel. There are lots of nice tweaks they could make, but it feels like the biggest hurdle is over with by just having that engine ready to go.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SpaceCommie posted:

The best cut scene imo is the train breaking scene. I think it was the first time I saw deceptive camera work utilised ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jF1HkJfgK8&t=24m50s

Have you seen Top Secret!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOZokJ7AUI

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yep, it is super well designed, especially as a big first step in that direction. I still have problems with some of the game design, but it's clicking a lot better on this playthrough so I'm really looking forward to the sequel. There are lots of nice tweaks they could make, but it feels like the biggest hurdle is over with by just having that engine ready to go.

The engine also allows for a lot of fuckery with certain bows and weapons. You can basically infinite combo heavy weapons using a bow glitch and stun lock the hardest enemies in the game. You can also use this to ramp up kinetic energy on stasis-locked physics objects and rail gun a metal castle door at mach 5 to liquify a bokoblin

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The thing I love about that movie (well, one of many things) is they do variations on that joke (camera angle messing with your perceptions) a few times but the fact that they do it different ways makes it funny every time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I genuinely wished there were more parody movies that were lovingly made and well executed instead is lazy money grabs.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

No, but I keep meaning to (I've seen that clip though).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
No Just Cause game being released with coop is basically the biggest crime in video game history.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh for sure, a few others have pointed out that the first open world game is where they lay the basics out, and the sequels are where they really gel. Absolutely, the engine really is a wonderful achievement. On that front alone I'm very excited for BotW 2, can't wait to see how nintendo challenges themselves here.

And here is where we pour one out for Mad Max. Avalanche, gimmee fuckin Mad Max 2: With Motorcycles, please.

Also while I'm here, gimmee a fuckin sequel to Fury Road as well What The gently caress.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That reminds me of something. In Mad Max: Fury Road (the open world game) one of the collectables is polaroid photos. The photo is generally a pre-apocalypse photo of something mundane, then the back of the photo will have something depressing someone wrote on it right after the apocalypse, then Max will say something about how things are even worse now. Ex: Picture of a cute dog, back of photo has writing about how dismayed the person was that they had to leave their dog behind when evacuating; Max chimes in “People didn’t eat dogs then...”

However, one exception to this pattern is a photo of a motorcycle. The back of the photo has written succinctly: “What is this?”

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

It came up on a video by SNES Drunk. I’m kinda familiar with the series although I’d never played one, and there’s a pretty good fan translation. I wasn’t prepared for how attentive the developers were for the little things. Like, when your in a tank you’re limited to tank options, but in something like the Buggy, with a more open top, you can attack with your equipped weapon as well as whatever you’ve slapped on the vehicle. This is nice because the second party member you find is a mechanic and can disable mechanical vehicles when equipped with a wrench. A wrench that throws like a boomerang and either comes back to him or bounces off the enemy and lands in the field. Just a real pleasing amount of little details stuffed in a 16-bit RPG

Dang that sounds pretty fun honestly. I'm reading in the wiki that it's a non-linear open world RPG too, in 1991on the snes, that's pretty interesting. Apparently you can go in a bunch of different directions on the world map right from the start, and there's different quests in every direction that aren't dependent on each other. That's pretty neat to see in a SNES RPG, how does it handle XP and lvl scaling in an open world?

Ariong posted:

That reminds me of something. In Mad Max: Fury Road (the open world game) one of the collectables is polaroid photos. The photo is generally a pre-apocalypse photo of something mundane, then the back of the photo will have something depressing someone wrote on it right after the apocalypse, then Max will say something about how things are even worse now. Ex: Picture of a cute dog, back of photo has writing about how dismayed the person was that they had to leave their dog behind when evacuating; Max chimes in “People didn’t eat dogs then...”

However, one exception to this pattern is a photo of a motorcycle. The back of the photo has written succinctly: “What is this?”

Yep, just a tease. An even bigger one is far latter in the game you can find a super-custom rare car called the Demented Chariot. It's at the end of a quest, somebody tells you where a dead warlord is entombed. When he was killed in a local war that took place before the game, he was buried almost like egyptian royalty, in a large hidden tomb with 4 of his wives also entombed with him, and all his worldly wealth and food and water also, and a ton of in-game currency, and the chariot itself. It's a car with a motorcycle mounted on top doing a wheelie, with the preserved skeleton of the warlord, Doctor Dementus, mounted on it. The car itself handles a lot like a motorcycle kind of, it's extremely light, prone to doing wheelies, has a ton of suspension, has insane acceleration, the engine is very high pitched, and it has a lot of boost charges.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jan 20, 2020

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I think my favorite thing about the Mad Max game is how it leans into the mystical aspect of the series. There's an environment you end up traversing several times; an airport sunken into the sand. When you drive to it for the first time for story reasons, Max recognizes the place and says, "Ah, it's an airport." Chumbucket, the mechanic gremlin dude who rides on top of Max's car, goes, "What's an airport?"

How would Max, a man in his 40's at most, know what a thing from the pre-collapse world is, but not Chumbucket not know, a dude who is clearly much older than him? I love that stuff. How long has it been since civilization fell? How old is Max?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like it when series leaves long-unanswered questions intentionally and not just, like forget to care enough. Maybe Max, like the Dread Pirate Roberts, is more of an idea of a wandering cowboy or whatever that is a mystical un-ending being (or lineage of knowledgable hyper-capable dudes). I bet, though, that the writers just wanted Max to act like an insert of the player itself and be able to point out that it's an airport buried beneath the sand and the gremlin is saying 'whats an airport' to reiterate that society is destroyed or whatever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Samuringa posted:

The tone of GTAIV aged better than V.

Even if it didnt exactly work IV at least had a consistent tone. V is trying to be both 4 and the 3-era wackiness and it does not jive

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elfface posted:

Also I wish for it to be on the record that Crackdown 1 is the superior game in the franchise, with 2 replacing most of the gangs and gunplay with firing solar lasers at mutants, like a r18 movie that gets a Saturday morning cartoon.

Crackdown to Crackdown 2 had the problem where Microsoft was soft on the series and took too long to greenlight the sequel so the original studio had moved on to another game. Which ended up being a mediocre MMO that was more noticeable for trying to enforce a post release review embargo and extremely bad messaging (where "you don't need a subscription to play" but by "play" they didn't mean playing the game but using it as a glorified chat room as you couldn't do any missions or engage in combat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy7wVL6iW-s

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Jan 20, 2020