Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Virigoth posted:

hey it has air holes in the top!!!!

You have to pay extra for those to actually open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
the coolest thing about musk's space garbage is that every single satellite will have multiple components that will survive re-entry and have enough force to kill or injure

spacex simply brushed off this concern with "any house will stop the debris from being harmful"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

the coolest thing about musk's space garbage is that every single satellite will have multiple components that will survive re-entry and have enough force to kill or injure

spacex simply brushed off this concern with "any house will stop the debris from being harmful"

Would be poetic justice if a piece of space hits Musk while driving the Cybertruck and his career ends in a ironic ball of battery flames.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

etalian posted:

Would be poetic justice if a piece of space hits Musk while driving the Cybertruck and his career ends in a ironic ball of battery flames.

They'll launch his body into space in the Cybertruck for a Viking funeral

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

years later they decided to make printers cease printing altogether if your yellow cartridge ran out, even if you were just printing sheets of text and your black cartridge was brand new
/quote]
That's because yellow is needed to track the serial number of the printer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code
[quote="Jonny 290" post="501783921"]
in space nerd news, It's Happening

https://hackaday.com/2019/12/27/russias-newest-weather-satellite-may-have-be-killed-by-space-junk/

you don't want to know what one of these fuckin big birds costs.

elon brain: dont have to worry about global warming if you dont have any weather satellites up! launching more starlink garbage now.

(it's news today because it started sending signals out of its microwave transponder again yesterday, but, uh, the orbit does not look good)

sucks when it happens to scientific satellites, too bad it didn't junk some military crap.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

if that poo poo lands where i can see it, i'm loving keeping it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Clerical Terrors posted:

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1218112589978193920

I can't wait to rent my lovely I Can't Belive It's Not A Cubicle™ from my boss.

Because I would do that, gently caress open spaces.

We have a few of those at my work, scattered around through the open floorplan. They're only intended for brief use, say to take a phone call. And so to keep people from camping in them all day, they're scientifically designed to start getting uncomfortable after about five minutes -- the barstool seat is small, and the table area is too narrow to open a laptop properly and too close to stretch out your arms. Even with these factors "assisting" a quick turnover, there still aren't enough of them, so most of the time people just have to do their loud-rear end conference call out in the open and disturb everyone in earshot anyway.

I'm trying to popularize a term from Futurama for them, but so far it hasn't really caught on:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The dril corncob tweet but you're also paying a monthly fee to keep your corncob status

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

foobardog posted:

whatever happened to that car...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Laterite posted:

The dril corncob tweet but you're also paying a monthly fee to keep your corncob status

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Candle subscription service $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

vyelkin posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

guillotine the ones charging you for rent and utilities

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

foobardog posted:

If you sent the car it'd be self igniting

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well, thanks thread.

I decided to confirm what I knew about my InstantInk printer.

Results: I still can print just fine without a subscription because I don't have the special subscription-only cartridges. It scans just fine without any ink cartridges at all.

HOWEVER IT STILL SURE IS A HP INKJET.

I leave it on a shelf for two months doing nothing but scanning and it's internal cleanup algorithm has apparently been wasting ink for no good reason because those printheads are drier than great-grandma's vagina. When I boot it up without ink cartridges it first throws up a billion errors before it allows the scanning to happen. The cleanup algorithm might as well be fairy wishes and farts it's time to dig into the solvent box.

Also yes I absolutely need a scanner and a printer because of the aforementioned paperwork nightmare. This fucker was 20 euro and it's needs-suiting enough.

I have no idea how I'd go through one of those XL cartridges they send via the instant ink program before those dried up too. The ten buck ones get at best a month of printing regardless of use.

Yeah I'm a bit angry that people interpreted that as me calling HP good or capitalism good. HP's a shitshow with their inkjets but it's just in the old streaky dry bullshit that really sticks in my craw. Computer janitoring has left me with a deep distaste for printers. Tamagotchis, for assholes, by assholes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Utility $150

*finally spends less on candle subscription*

*prices on everything else get jacked up 200%*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah I'm a bit angry that people interpreted that as me calling HP good or capitalism good. HP's a shitshow with their inkjets but it's just in the old streaky dry bullshit that really sticks in my craw. Computer janitoring has left me with a deep distaste for printers. Tamagotchis, for assholes, by assholes.
people didnt misinterpret you. you were saying artificial physical scarcity by remotely bricking working ink cartridges with ink was just a normal subscription service ripoff.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

comedyblissoption posted:

people didnt misinterpret you. you were saying artificial physical scarcity by remotely bricking working ink cartridges with ink was just a normal subscription service ripoff.

Yes, that's what I was saying. I stand by it. You can disagree if you want.

Which doesn't mean people weren't making wild loving guesses as to what I was saying or how the HP service worked.

This is some Doctorow-level cyberpunk here. It's not a stepping stone to services that can be remotely cut off and deny you essential needs (that's 150 years old), it's not locking down cartridges you bought, it's not preventing you from scanning. HP's trick here is much older. You can compare the efficiency of the subscription services compared to cartridges to try to get the best advantage you can... but the actual bad deal here are consumer inkjets and their ink to begin with. They haven't been good for decades and if I legit didn't need the scanner I'd still not have one and I bought this one 2/3rds off. HP isn't going to do something evil in a way that differentiates them from regular capitalism because they are enjoying the situation where they're the default choice nobody ever got fired for buying. It's boring.

But not as boring as this derail jesus loving christ I don't care how you try to bait me into continuing it from now on I'm sick of it and I'm endless loving monotony.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/CharlesRollet1/status/1219216404211228672

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

birds at airports, rioters, etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i signed up for one of those weekly food delivery services and when i decided to cancel it midweek they came by and took away all the food i hadnt eaten yet

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s better than the last Benz, uh, “undesirables pacification” van.

:gas:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

This is some Doctorow-level cyberpunk here. It's not a stepping stone to services that can be remotely cut off and deny you essential needs (that's 150 years old), it's not locking down cartridges you bought, it's not preventing you from scanning.

it's locking you down from something you rightfully possess

you send them some money (enough to cover the cost of a cartridge plus some extra profit margin)!and they send you an ink cartridge. whether or not this officially counts as "bought" or not is a nonsense question, introduced by capitalists to muddle the concept of ownership and expand rent-seeking as much as possible in pursuit of a dystopian cyberpunk future where consumers own nothing at all

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

vyelkin posted:

i signed up for one of those weekly food delivery services and when i decided to cancel it midweek they came by and took away all the food i hadnt eaten yet

At least they didn't physically slice off the fat and muscle from your body and literally suck the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat, bud. That's just business as usual

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

At least they didn't physically slice off the fat and muscle from your body and literally suck the poo poo out of your rear end in a top hat, bud. That's just business as usual

That seems a little extreme, making you purge into a Blue Apron-branded bucket would be more feasible.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

wait really?

just don't let them in lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

mike12345 posted:

doesn't have machine learning to catalogue your butt and perfect the wipe

confuses birth mark as poo poo, proceeds to wipe off epidermis.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.thespinner.net/

No more romance in your love life? Use subliminal messaging!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

please stop posting about printers; I implore you

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

actionjackson posted:

wait really?

just don't let them in lol

lmao of course not really

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's our burden to carry

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1014096431106445312?s=19

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

spoiler alert: they do not

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And to think everyone in my Rifts group in 1992 laughed at me for making that real-life Glitter Boy armor.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Somehow still less complicated inside than the G11.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

seems like it would be easy to 3d print this gun; its mostly a rectangle with maybe some small cylanders/handles poking out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Stamp it in sheet metal.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You go to post with the dystopia you got, not the dystopia you want.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I’m fairly sure any claim of man-portable laser weaponry is suspect simply due to power requirements.

unless, not pictured in this diagram, it’s attached to a small nuclear reactor being carried on a big truck or something idk.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I've become so cynically conditioned by disappointing articles from these kinds of sites that anytime I see one claiming some kind of sci-fi tech is becoming reality I automatically assume it's bogus.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
PC Gamer is super excited about the laser gun pew pew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The only current practical offensive laser is to combine autotargeting with facial recognition to burn out the eyeballs of every human being in a defined target area.

This is a war crime, but when World War III breaks out that isn't going to matter.