Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

having a roadmap for killing a service is weirdly organized. I thought google usually just went “welp this is over, goodbye and goodnight”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it does seem uncharacteristic for them to give a two and a half year timeline for depreciation, yeah.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

google is going to introduce a new AI-based product that helps them determine when to sunset other products

Google Sundown

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Google Sundown

i did and it just gave me photos of joe biden :confused:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

google is going to introduce a new AI-based product that helps them determine when to sunset other products

Google Sundown

the first software program to contemplate its own mortality

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

Google Sundown

self driving to the graveyard

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

edit: a bit grim retrospectively

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

still lol at people who buy a chrome book for their parents because it’s easier but needs internet to work at all

what a trap that is

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it's ultimately self harm to buy your parents anything not apple

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Partycat posted:

still lol at people who buy a chrome book for their parents because it’s easier but needs internet to work at all

what a trap that is

what are your parents doing on the computer that isn't on the internet?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

jesus WEP posted:

it's ultimately self harm to buy your parents anything

yeah, keep your hard-earned money, boomers can afford to buy their own poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

yeah, keep your hard-earned money, boomers can afford to buy their own poo poo

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its only anroid adjacent but i dunno where else

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/the-pinephone-starts-shipping-a-linux-powered-smartphone-for-150/

i still can't disrespect this group of nerdos for wanting to mess with linux on the phone desktop :shrug:

its not the silly expensive very open soured purism phone mentioned in the article but whateva

Bulgakov fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 17, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bulgakov posted:

its only anroid adjacent but i dunno where else

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/the-pinephone-starts-shipping-a-linux-powered-smartphone-for-150/

i still can't disrespect this group of nerdos for wanting to mess with linux on the phone desktop :shrug:

its not the silly expensive very open soured purism phone mentioned in the article but whateva

absolutely getting one if there isn't some vast additional hidden flaw, a fun bit of pointless geekery.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

absolutely getting one if there isn't some vast additional hidden flaw, a fun bit of pointless geekery.

I won't because saving my money

:hmmyes:

but it does have the vibe of the same bullshit I had fun messing around with at a local circuit city while waiting for the bus during primary school or whateva

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

the hidden flaw is that it’s unusable as a smartphone

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the one thing i really want to experiment or tinker with is the tool that could save my life if i get in an accident or during an emergency. theyre trying to skype my dying wife in? hang on let me crack open the back of my phone to flip this DIP switch for the camera

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

the one thing i really want to experiment or tinker with is the tool that could save my life if i get in an accident or during an emergency. theyre trying to skype my dying wife in? hang on let me crack open the back of my phone to flip this DIP switch for the camera

haha this is the dumbest take, "i must carry a phone at all times out of fear of death"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haha this is the dumbest take, "i must carry a phone at all times out of fear of death"

It also must have be at or above 50% battery.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes, it's true: some people have loved ones and dependents that could "dial into" your experimental hobbyist phone bloks for emergencies. personally i think it's important to take that into account if youre going to be carrying around a phone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

yes, it's true: some people have loved ones and dependents that could "dial into" your experimental hobbyist phone bloks for emergencies. personally i think it's important to take that into account if youre going to be carrying around a phone

i am actually not quite sure what the scenario described in this post is, but i lived most of my life without a cell phone (much less a smartphone) and the one i now have spends most of the day muted. it is a point that maybe i should at some point set up some priority list for potentially important stuff, but tbqh i am not the emergency services and i don't think it is that an healthy ambition to be 100% available just because death indeed is potentially imminent for us all.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, again: pointless geekery. please do not get one if your phone is important to you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

do you think someone whose idea of a good time is loving around with a telephone has loved ones

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
if an Emt FaceTimed me to talk to my wife on the verge of death, completely brutalized in a car accident.. well I’d be one unhappy camper

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/20979039?hl=en

pixel 4's face unlock is breaking if you follow a notification telling you to re-enroll your face.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
idk where the google thread is

this seems like a bad idea:

Report: Google wants to bring the Steam game store to… Chrome OS?

quote:

We have a wild report from Android Police this morning, as the site claims that Google is working to bring official Steam support to Chrome OS. Yes, Valve's Steam. The gaming platform. On Chromebooks.
So will some manufacturer step up and make a gaming-focused Chromebook? Android Police writes that "Liu said we could expect [Chrome OS' lack of powerful hardware] to change: more powerful Chromebooks, especially AMD Chromebooks, are coming. Liu would not explicitly confirm that any of these models would contain discrete Radeon graphics but told us to stay tuned."

Chromebook hardware has gotten really bloated over the years and can seem pretty far from the original idea of a light, fast Web-focused laptop. Today, you can get Chromebooks with 1TB of storage for, I guess, a whole lot of Linux and Android apps. A gaming Chromebook would be a thicker, hotter, heavier, more expensive laptop, and I wonder if anyone wants a Chromebook like that. (If they start outfitting Chromebooks with gamer RGB lights, let the record show that the Chromebook Pixel was a trailblazer with its light bar.)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/report-google-wants-to-bring-the-steam-game-store-to-chrome-os/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't really get the incredulity. There are plenty of games on steam that will run perfectly fine on iGPU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I don't really get the incredulity. There are plenty of games on steam that will run perfectly fine on iGPU
it's interesting and funny in that it'd be competing with google's own games platform in stadia, but the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing is hardly new

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
which one will get shut down first?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~Coxy posted:

The Kins posted:

it's interesting and funny in that it'd be competing with google's own games platform in stadia, but the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing is hardly new

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

which one will get shut down first?

i'll bet if it happens at all you'll get a meager handful of under powered options from acer and maybe some other c-tier OEM, one generation of hardware before everyone realizes that no one wants to spend console/laptop money on a not-quite-a-laptop that sucks at playing games

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Kins posted:

maybe its similar to nvidias angle where they charge for remote time and access your library on steam for licensing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Kins posted:

and it's a separate storefront within google's walled garden, which i thought wasn't allowed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

idk where the google thread is

this seems like a bad idea:

Report: Google wants to bring the Steam game store to… Chrome OS?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/01/report-google-wants-to-bring-the-steam-game-store-to-chrome-os/

they're adding the mobile steam app, not games.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm shocked stadia hasn't been canceled yet, by any measure it's a huge flop

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jeeze give it some time its only been like 40 days. its got like a whole month to go before google deletes it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

I'm shocked stadia hasn't been canceled yet, by any measure it's a huge flop

has it been released yet or is still in beta?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-stadia-early-adopters-giving-up-2020-1

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

...We got tricked into being beta testers and it pisses me off.

incredible, they somehow managed to find someone who has never before used a google service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

on a very basic level the whole thing seems just too fiddly/complex to be a successful mass market product and lacking features and content that would make enthusiasts want it, especially since most of that cohort already owns a console or pc