Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dietrich posted:

Finally beat the game. I can crush wizard of legend every time and this one gave me a run for the money for 3 days.

I got my first clear in this pretty quickly, I can't make it anywhere in WoT :v:

Speaking of beating the game, is there a roadmap for what they're adding to the final release? Only picked this up recently but the ending felt pretty abrupt, I figured a year in the oven would have got it close to done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

victrix posted:

I got my first clear in this pretty quickly, I can't make it anywhere in WoT :v:

Speaking of beating the game, is there a roadmap for what they're adding to the final release? Only picked this up recently but the ending felt pretty abrupt, I figured a year in the oven would have got it close to done.

I believe there's an option to that effect available on the game's main menu, and failing that it's also available from the game's Steam page. The ending (along with one more Olympian, another weapon(?), and possibly some other less-specific stuff) are the major outstanding items on the to-do list, from what I recall correctly.

Benagain posted:

Edit: thing I've known for a while but just ran into again playing, Artemis commits the horrible error of being horny on main.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the conversation you're talking about yet but given that it's Artemis, I'm not so sure -

...god dammit this is a joke about her character portrait, isn't it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Supergiant posted:

Coming Soon:
Our first Major Update of 2020 is right around the corner, and will usher in a new Olympian, deepening both the gameplay and the story. We're also in the thick of iterating on game systems and content, and building out the rest of the story. Your feedback directly affects which parts of the game we'll be focusing on.

Looking Ahead:
We expect to be in Early Access until sometime in 2020 (exact date TBD). With much of the game structure now intact, we have some meaty Major Updates still to come, adding the new Olympian, and later, a brand-new weapon. We also have to create the ending of the game (something we always allot plenty of time to), and continue iterating on and polishing just about everything.
This coming patch is mostly about the new Olympian. Might be more Ambrosia-enabled characters.

It won't finish the weapons or give An Actual Ending.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Anyone else recently noticed slowdown when playing the game? I've been playing for about a month and it ran like butter at first but the last handful of times I've booted it up it'll start slowing down when too much stuff is going on on screen and it becomes unplayable. Not sure what would have caused that...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

untzthatshit posted:

Anyone else recently noticed slowdown when playing the game? I've been playing for about a month and it ran like butter at first but the last handful of times I've booted it up it'll start slowing down when too much stuff is going on on screen and it becomes unplayable. Not sure what would have caused that...

I sometimes notice it hitch for half a second which is pretty annoying in such a fast-paced game. Not sure of the cause either myself.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Played a Hestia Rail game with 9 minute pact on. Fastest game to that point but had bad luck in Styx (had a bad setup for killing tons of little things) and ran out of time on Hades 2 but managed to kill him before my health ticked down.

Finally had enough blood so I fully upgraded Poseidon sword and started another game with just Extreme Measures 3 pact, got early Epic Aphrodite cast and Chaos boon for +70% cast damage, everything just melted away. Could NOT get Artemis to give me more casts or exit wounds or burst shot. Honestly I'm not sure how much good Exit Wounds would have done, lots of stuff died before I ran out of casts. Hermes in the last Charon shop gave me +80% cast rate and Hades was a peach, ended up 3 minutes faster (22:38) than when I was intentionally racing with Rail. Tons of time could have been saved just by not doing chests or looking for gold jars.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

vdate posted:

I believe there's an option to that effect available on the game's main menu, and failing that it's also available from the game's Steam page. The ending (along with one more Olympian, another weapon(?), and possibly some other less-specific stuff) are the major outstanding items on the to-do list, from what I recall correctly.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the conversation you're talking about yet but given that it's Artemis, I'm not so sure -

...god dammit this is a joke about her character portrait, isn't it

I'm not sure what they're referring to specifically, but I have gotten a couple of Artemis lines that are flirty and her Duo with Aphrodite has her ready to... ask you out I guess? Do Gods even go on dates? It's possible she's about to ask if you want to gently caress

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Hogama posted:

This coming patch is mostly about the new Olympian. Might be more Ambrosia-enabled characters.

Let Us Interact More With Head Chef :discourse:

In other news, Ares' blade cast + larger blades + longer-lasting blades+suck in + increasing damage over time on blades + Artemis' making blades home in on enemies + Artemis' +3 Extra Casts is about as absurd as you'd think. I had Hera's Bow. I fought the final boss phase 2 and they died in two hexa-shots

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 19, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy gently caress I cannot handle Tisiphone at all. And the fourth boss kicks my rear end for some absolutely bizarre reason, what exactly is happening in that fight?

Is there a boss practice mode?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pollyanna posted:

Holy gently caress I cannot handle Tisiphone at all. And the fourth boss kicks my rear end for some absolutely bizarre reason, what exactly is happening in that fight?

i wish, that's the hardest thing about the endboss - it takes 20-30 minutes to get to it so it's going to take you A WHILE to learn the patterns to any meaningful degree

your spoilerboss you mostly want to Keep Dodging Forever (incidentally the correct strat in many situations), she doesn't really have any terribly complicated moves

Dietrich posted:

Finally beat the game. I can crush wizard of legend every time and this one gave me a run for the money for 3 days.

i'm broadly terrible at this game / any game involving rapid response time but the learning curve is actually, well, learnable

with the exception of the complaint above

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The final boss can take a lot of attempts to get the hang of; I think it was around my 30th escape attempt that I finally got past them.

Then again the only other game in this vein I've ever played was Binding of Isaac, and I'm not especially good at them in general. :shobon:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
A couple of notes about final boss patterns.

I read in a dev blog or post somewhere that they viewed learning the final boss attacks as a problem, since you have to play upwards of 45 minutes just to get a shot at it for most newer players. I wish I could remember where this was. I think it was on Reddit or a blog somewhere. Anyway, their solution was to incorporate the attack patterns of the final boss into other enemies and bosses in the game. This meant that you'd get a chance to see most of them and practice in other places before the end and get more reps in without slogging all the way through only to die in a few seconds.

Spear thrust - Used by the spear carriers in Elysium.
Spin attack - Used by Theseus and Asterius.
Lasers - Used by the snakestones in Styx. The snakestone mid-boss uses the 360 laser attack too.
Shockwave - Unfortunately, I think the only place this shows up is in the Middle-Management version of the megagorgon/skullcrusher fight in Asphodel.

Also, it can be worth it to level up and use the acorn keepsake from Eurydice if you're still trying to learn these attacks. It'll almost certainly keep you alive long enough to practice a little bit, even if you arrive with low health.

EDIT - I cannot type at all tonight.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 20, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

The 4th boss's patterns take some getting used to because a lot of his attacks combo in some way and you can get absolutely wrecked in no time if you panic.

Eventually you get enough upgrades that you can just start straight up dps racing him though.

Tricks I know are:
1. Play keep away until he does an attack, then attack
2. If you see him begin a sweep, immediately dodge twice to the side
3. When you see the urns pop up, run away into a safe zone and dodge through the wave
4. Lasers in phase 2 are free dps if you stick really close to him

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Break urns when they pop up so there’s a safe zone during the main explosion!

Always pop skulls when he’s invisible, almost never worth popping them when he’s a target.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
In the boss 4 lair theres a safe zone to the left with the cliff, the left rubble in the middle doesnt block projectiles/beam, but the right rubble does. Use them to kite the boss around, abusing your ability to dash through them

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

kaschei posted:

Break urns when they pop up so there’s a safe zone during the main explosion!

Always pop skulls when he’s invisible, almost never worth popping them when he’s a target.

It's still a good idea to kill the skulls if you're able. This is especially true if you have Ares or Artemis boons that give you bonus damage or marked status for killing an enemy, because the skulls counts as a kill.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Also, it can be worth it to level up and use the acorn keepsake from Eurydice if you're still trying to learn these attacks. It'll almost certainly keep you alive long enough to practice a little bit, even if you arrive with low health.

Level up the broken spearpoint instead, it will save you more HP than any other relic over the course of the last level.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna try for a four-pointer from the stands:

When Zag dies, he is in fact born somewhere as an unremarkable child, lives out his life, dies, and comes back having remembered none of it. The length of a mortal life is nothing to the gods or the dead, so the time is nothing to his friends and family. Nobody tells him because it's not like he ever did anything important, he was a mortal, the fun part is when he escapes from the land of the dead again. That's when the Olympians lay their bets, just like always, maybe try to nudge the game one way or the other; and Hades tries to stop you again, for reason's he's already explained. You can't escape death in a way that matters. Not sure where Persephone fits into all this. Maybe she's up top, and you talk to her every time you live another life, and she patiently tells you the whole story again.

It doesn't really fit with Supergiant's usual story beats, but I figure it's plausible.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ragnar34 posted:

When Zag dies, he is in fact born somewhere as an unremarkable child, lives out his life, dies, and comes back having remembered none of it. The length of a mortal life is nothing to the gods or the dead, so the time is nothing to his friends and family. Nobody tells him because it's not like he ever did anything important, he was a mortal, the fun part is when he escapes from the land of the dead again. That's when the Olympians lay their bets, just like always, maybe try to nudge the game one way or the other; and Hades tries to stop you again, for reason's he's already explained. You can't escape death in a way that matters. Not sure where Persephone fits into all this. Maybe she's up top, and you talk to her every time you live another life, and she patiently tells you the whole story again.

It doesn't really fit with Supergiant's usual story beats, but I figure it's plausible.

I like this. It may not fit the dev's usual style (I wouldn't know) but it fits the theme of eternal repetition that Greek mythology has going on with Sisyphus and Prometheus

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Eraflure posted:

Level up the broken spearpoint instead, it will save you more HP than any other relic over the course of the last level.

Why not both? They're good for different things. The acorn is for bosses specifically and is helpful because it absorbs ALL damage a few times. Broken spearpoint is helpful if you're getting damaged multiple times very quickly. The last boss can hit for high damage with single shots, especially when you've been skull marked. If you're dying so fast that you can't get any practice with his attack patterns and tells, the spearpoint won't help as much with that. And that's the situation I was talking about.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ragnar34 posted:

Possible. I also like the theory someone posted earlier that it's post-modern nuclear/cchange wasteland hellscape outside, which is why persephone is missing/gone, it's always snowing, railguns/grenade launchers, some clues to it being radioactive outside, and hades being weird about it.

although that wouldn't explain the constant stream of souls into the underworld, so probably not.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Possible. I also like the theory someone posted earlier that it's post-modern nuclear/cchange wasteland hellscape outside, which is why persephone is missing/gone, it's always snowing, railguns/grenade launchers, some clues to it being radioactive outside, and hades being weird about it.

although that wouldn't explain the constant stream of souls into the underworld, so probably not.

Is it a constant stream or is there just an unusually long line of souls waiting to speak to Hades? Like a lot of souls came there at the same time so it's backed up?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LifeLynx posted:

Is it a constant stream or is there just an unusually long line of souls waiting to speak to Hades? Like a lot of souls came there at the same time so it's backed up?

Ah yeah, that could be. I'd just figured everyone woulda been dead and swarmed in if it were so.

We're basically just in :lost::lost::lost: TVIV territory speculation, so who knows.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In the original myth, Persephone must spend 1/4th of the year with Hades, and 3/4ths of the year with her family back on Earth / Olympus. Winter as a season exists because that is the fourth of the year that Persephone spends with Hades, and Demeter, her mother, the harvest goddess mourns for her absence. When Persephone returns, Demeter rejoices, bringing spring.

Tomorrow we'll (probably) get Demeter's take on the whole mess, but so far the Olympians haven't said anything about the world getting abnormally messed up, even the ones fairly close to nature like Artemis or Poseidon. When Hades says winter is new he could be referring to just this winter cycle is a relatively new thing that's only been around since the Persephone events (how old is Zagreus? How long was Persephone with Hades before Zagreus was born?), not that it's permanent winter year-round. Or the winter could be a localized effect around the entrance to Hades' domain, representing Demeter's displeasure with him, but she really can't do anything to harm him other than dump snow on his front door.

edit: I doubt the reincarnation thing is correct. Reincarnation doesn't show up in Greek myths about the afterlife, and if the game really did take place over that long a timespan, Persephone herself would die and show up in the underworld for Zagreus to meet. Nyx says she is certain Persephone is still alive because if she wasn't she'd be down here. Reincarnation would also cheapen the stories of Orpheus and Eurydice, of Achilles and Patroclus, etc.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 20, 2020

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Persephone herself would die and show up in the underworld for Zagreus to meet.
Why? Do you just mean the annual return she "must" make?

But I think you may be onto something. Hades knows something is keeping Persephone in the underworld, possibly something he did when she tried to leave, possibly something to do with Zagreus being born (hence her letter not mentioning Zag). Winter is permanent because Persephone isn't "out there" for Zagreus to find. This is the reason Hades has forbidden Zagreus to leave.

There are a lot of snippets about gods and mortality. A good bit about Eurydice being a dead divine being. I think somewhere Achilles speculates that Zagreus is a god of mortality? And he may have brought mortality to Persephone.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
It might just be that Zagreus, like the other major NPCs, is bound to the underworld: he can "escape" but his fate is to stay trapped there forever, so he just trips on a rock or something as soon as he gets out.

You could even imagine a "true ending" where you try to change this in Zagreus's usual style... by fighting the Fates.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

kaschei posted:

Winter is permanent because Persephone isn't "out there" for Zagreus to find. This is the reason Hades has forbidden Zagreus to leave.

Nah, I think she is, on your first escape, Hades asks Zag that if he meets her to tell her that Cerberus is doing very well That kind of feels like as close to genuine as ol' passive aggressive Dad can be.

kaschei posted:

There are a lot of snippets about gods and mortality. A good bit about Eurydice being a dead divine being. I think somewhere Achilles speculates that Zagreus is a god of mortality?

Zagreus is the god of talking back to Hades.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm sure Supergiant will have their spin on the whole thing, but it may be useful to look at the known myths of Zagreus.

Encyclopædia Britannica posted:

Zagreus, in Orphic myth, a divine child who was the son of Zeus (as a snake) and his daughter Persephone. Zeus intended to make Zagreus his heir and bestow on him unlimited power, but Hera out of jealousy urged the Titans to attack the child while she beguiled him with toys. The Titans, who were opposed to Zeus’ power, tore Zagreus to pieces and consumed him except for his heart. Athena managed to save the child’s heart and brought it to Zeus, who swallowed it. Zeus punished the Titans for their crime by blasting them into soot with his thunderbolts. From these remains arose mortals, who were partly wicked and partly divine. Zeus then begot a son in the body of Semele, and this child, made from the heart of Zagreus, was called Dionysus. Zagreus thus came to be identified with Dionysus in Orphic mythology, an outgrowth of the Hellenistic mystery religion based on the teaching and songs of Orpheus.

Wikipedia foreword posted:

However, in the earliest mention of Zagreus, he is paired with Gaia (Earth) and called the “highest” god [of the underworld?] and Aeschylus links Zagreus with Hades, possibly as Hades' son, or Hades himself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xaris posted:

Ares says that if mortals ever created something like the hestia rail, then it would change the face of warfare forever. Remember, it's a weapon that was used to defeat the titans, not something brought in from the mortal world. I think that rules out a few things

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

Why doesn't he remember any of it? And he remembers the previous escape attempts but not the mortal life that he just finished experiencing? Why do other mortals remember their lives but not Zag? And why does Hypnos not remark on this mortal death at all, when that seems to be his favorite thing to do?

Most importantly, what would a reincarnation cycle even add to this story? It seems extraneous and doesn't really fit well with a Greek mythological setting

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
You also have to remember that when Hades and the like say the surface world is all hosed up, it's because they're comparing it to the underworld. They're not used to sunlight and wind and birds singing and all that stuff, of course they would think the surface world is a sensory overloading hellhole.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's a funny little scene you can run into between Thanatos and Hypnos where Hypnos suggest that if every mortal died at once, it would make Thanatos' job much easier and they could spend more time together. Thanatos just tells him to stop being ridiculous and that's the end of that.

Could mean something, could not. Who knows.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The night material description openly says that you're bound to the underworld the mpre of it you have in you.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Broken Cog posted:

There's a funny little scene you can run into between Thanatos and Hypnos where Hypnos suggest that if every mortal died at once, it would make Thanatos' job much easier and they could spend more time together. Thanatos just tells him to stop being ridiculous and that's the end of that.

Could mean something, could not. Who knows.

Sleepyboi just wants to hang out with his big brother

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
This games a sequel to Hadestown, right?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's actually a subplot in this game where Dionysus suggests Zag plays a prank on Orpheus-- the next time you meet him, Zag tells the bard the story about the heart, and how he and Di are the same being. The bard eats it up, and promises to spread the word in a new song.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
I have literally hundreds of complete runs in this game and I love that, after all this time, I still stumble on builds I've never tried that completely blow my mind. I'm trying to work through the prophecies list and managed to get Scintillating Feast... along with +3 casts from Artemis, double cast shots, and various lightning upgrades. God drat, that was unexpectedly amazing. Just a strobe of lightning bolts. Super fun. Super easy clear.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm the opposite - I feel like even if I haven't seen literally everything, i've explored a lot of the possibility space in the game while trying to complete the prophecy list and doing failed runs. It's actually winning the game at more than low heat that i'm slowly working through.

(This is also why i'm never gonna play on Hell Mode, since I don't want to have to reunlock everything just for a special additional pact condition.)

The new Olympian should be fun/shake things up, if nothing else i'll have someone to give nectar to again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hate using casts. Having limited resources really goes against my plan of dashing around avoiding attacks and hammering the attack and/or special button. I used to pick up the Artemis cast to stick a boss with it and get the bonus damage, but even that really disrupts my game flow. I'm sure there's some ultra damage combos where you just press the cast button and the screen clears, but it can't be as satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I started thinking Zag was (minor boss fight dialogue spoiler)the god of blood. It represents both life and death, and Alecto says he's the only god who actually bleeds red blood.