Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

I finally got around to trying Kenji's miso risotto, and I loved it! I made it with some soy sauce and maple syrup-glazed brussels sprouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Keret posted:

Anyone have success with making vegan okonomiyaki? I got a bunch of cabbage in my CSA box this week and it seemed like a fun way to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj8uedTuui8

I have not tried this, but No Recipes is usually pretty good, especially for Japanese stuff

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

I made these for dinner last night and they were both delicious and relatively easy to make.

Thanks for posting those recepies!

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Just over 2.5 years vegan here, and had my first really bad flu run in where I was not able to do much of anything.

My observation: It's frustratingly difficult to find vegan canned soups. I'm going to keep some tomato soup stocked as a base in the future. The number of vegetable soups with meat bases confuses me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rat posted:

Just over 2.5 years vegan here, and had my first really bad flu run in where I was not able to do much of anything.

My observation: It's frustratingly difficult to find vegan canned soups. I'm going to keep some tomato soup stocked as a base in the future. The number of vegetable soups with meat bases confuses me

They're probably using chicken or beef stock.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Skwirl posted:

They're probably using chicken or beef stock.
For sure. I'm just surprised at how many vegetable soups aren't even vegetarian. Not a regular soup purchaser here

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I like to cook lentils and add cup-a-soups to the broth for flavour, mash it up and you’ve got a lentil and x soup. Minestrone is my favourite. It’s cheap, simple and easy (not going to win any awards for haute cuisine) but it’ll do.

I’m constantly reading conflicting information about whether pot noodles (and similar) which advertise as meat flavoured actually contain meat. Apparently chicken pot noodles contain milk but no chicken, potted super noodles contain chicken but no milk and normal super noodles contain neither. I’ve never got a definitive answer, but you can always add the ramen to the lentil/minestrone soup and then you’ve got noodles as well.

I’m positive the ramen themselves are vegan so it’s only the seasoning sachets we’re talking about here. “Curry” flavoured sachets appear to be completely vegan in every brand I’ve looked at.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've heard the classic Lipton Onion Soup mix (which, growing up, we would only ever use to make a sour cream dip) is vegan. In any case, my solution for when I get sick is just to always have emergency leftover soup in the freezer.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I made a lentil bolognese the other day and I'm proud to say that it was bad!

The recipe I used as a base (which I will not be sharing for hopefully obvious reasons) made some weird calls for how to cook the lentils themselves which I should have trusted my gut and cooked them normally since I, like, am quite confident I know how to not gently caress up lentils--but it ended up requiring a lot of adjustments mid-cooking in order to avoid them being unacceptably crunchy. I'm certain most of it was my fault in the end, but it was a good opportunity for learning, and I'm glad for it at least.

It has also prompted me to start loving around with making tomato sauces from scratch instead of using jarred sauces wholecloth or mixing and matching, which isn't really all that complicated or groundbreaking but is something I should have done a long time ago.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ThePagey posted:

I made a lentil bolognese the other day and I'm proud to say that it was bad!

The recipe I used as a base (which I will not be sharing for hopefully obvious reasons) made some weird calls for how to cook the lentils themselves which I should have trusted my gut and cooked them normally since I, like, am quite confident I know how to not gently caress up lentils--but it ended up requiring a lot of adjustments mid-cooking in order to avoid them being unacceptably crunchy. I'm certain most of it was my fault in the end, but it was a good opportunity for learning, and I'm glad for it at least.

It has also prompted me to start loving around with making tomato sauces from scratch instead of using jarred sauces wholecloth or mixing and matching, which isn't really all that complicated or groundbreaking but is something I should have done a long time ago.

Post recipe please. I bet I could adapt my mom's sauce, and that would be delightful.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Stella Parks from Bravetart uses malt extract to mirror brown butter in her vegan recipes and after picking some up from a homebrew place for super cheap I've realized how great it is in literally everything.

I can make my own vegan Milo, punch up creamy puddings, and generally help all flavours. Highly recommend as a secret baking/dessert hack.

Also is there a reason people don't use shortening in baking and put coconut oil in everything? Is it just a holdover from "all processed things are bad?" And the trans fat scare? I find it to be a really useful fat, especially the flavoured kind.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Segue posted:

Also is there a reason people don't use shortening in baking and put coconut oil in everything? Is it just a holdover from "all processed things are bad?" And the trans fat scare? I find it to be a really useful fat, especially the flavoured kind.
I think you mostly nailed it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The first thing someone asks me about what I just baked, every time: But what about the... good stuff... you know... butter?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Segue posted:

Calling it a scare implies there's little evidence supporting it, but there's a fair amount of scientific research that shows trans fats are bad. Similarly, the high saturated fat content of coconut oil is bad.

No disrespect intended to people who use either in their recipes.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Vinestalk posted:

Calling it a scare implies there's little evidence supporting it, but there's a fair amount of scientific research that shows trans fats are bad. Similarly, the high saturated fat content of coconut oil is bad.

No disrespect intended to people who use either in their recipes.

Yeah, if I wasn't clear shortening used to contain trans fats but was reformulated to contain almost none after the trans fat research came out. So it was scary for a while but has been fine for ages now. I just assumed people subbed it out and never subbed it back in now that it's better.

It's lower in saturated fat than coconut oil which is apparently quite unhealthy but "natural" so all the weird white vegan blogs are all in on it.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

When I was starting out my first stint as vegan I bought a huge jar of coconut oil and used it in everything because that's what everyone in the vegan blogosphere seemed to be using. It was supposedly so much better for you than canola oil and margerine because it was natural, unlike those evil processed oils - this was back when coconut oil bullet coffee was the thing. I wisened up pretty quick when I realised how much of the vegan blogger scene runs on suburban health nut farts and had little interest in actual research.

The malt extract is a good tip, I should get some! I've noticed that it's also used in some meal recipes to give things a savoury sweet kick. Anyone have any experience of using it for other things than baking?

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Lazy cooking for the week is a yellow curry full of mushrooms and soy meat. Served on top of vegetables and some rice. Hit the spot

Cooked down 3 pounds and 3 kinds of mushrooms in this saucy dish :dance:

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
My new GF is vegan, and also gluten-free. I’m not a vegan, but am trying vegetarianism. Valentine’s Day is coming up quickly, and I’d like to cook a dinner together for V Day(primarily because her dining restrictions make it really hard to go out, second cuz I couldn’t find a proper reservation!).

Can someone recommend a nice dinner to cook at home that would be fun for a couple to cook together? Ideally two courses, paired with wine(wine is gluten free right?!)

I have access to all sorts of tools and such(blender/instant pot/kitchen aid/sous vide)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

lord1234 posted:

My new GF is vegan, and also gluten-free. I’m not a vegan, but am trying vegetarianism. Valentine’s Day is coming up quickly, and I’d like to cook a dinner together for V Day(primarily because her dining restrictions make it really hard to go out, second cuz I couldn’t find a proper reservation!).

Can someone recommend a nice dinner to cook at home that would be fun for a couple to cook together? Ideally two courses, paired with wine(wine is gluten free right?!)

I have access to all sorts of tools and such(blender/instant pot/kitchen aid/sous vide)
Literally anything. You can cook anything. Whatever you want. The OP has like 800 suggestions. Just pick food that looks good.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rat posted:

Lazy cooking for the week is a yellow curry full of mushrooms and soy meat. Served on top of vegetables and some rice. Hit the spot

Cooked down 3 pounds and 3 kinds of mushrooms in this saucy dish :dance:

Tell me more, I loving love mushrooms and need more in my life.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mango Polo posted:

Tell me more, I loving love mushrooms and need more in my life.
Well I bought baby oyster, crimini, and shiitake mushrooms and had a heap

I chopped up a small onion, garlic, and grated ginger and cooked that with Thai yellow curry paste in a bit of oil to infuse flavor. Deglaze with veg broth and coconut milk. Got it well infused and dropped things to a simmer

I added mushrooms in different stages after this (plus peppers) and their mushroom juice went through the whole dish. Added the soy meat fairly early and it sucked up the sauce. Used raw sugar, rice vinegar, and soya sauce to balance it out

Used maybe 1/4 cup ground raw cashews to thicken it up a bit

So good hot and excellent leftovers

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Literally anything. You can cook anything. Whatever you want. The OP has like 800 suggestions. Just pick food that looks good.

Does Veganism make you angry of something? You have been shutting down every adjacent question itt and talking about "white people freezing tofu". Give this dude a break, he is asking for a festive vegan dinner. How is that not a valid question?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Does Veganism make you angry of something? You have been shutting down every adjacent question itt and talking about "white people freezing tofu". Give this dude a break, he is asking for a festive vegan dinner. How is that not a valid question?

It's not like the thread has too many posts in it, as is.

I personally like making dinner plans, for me or for anyone else! One thing going mostly vegan has forced me to do is to rething the 'three courses, mains-sides' kind of thinking about dining since the sides usually end up being the most interesting foods! (I'm not a fan of 'tofu steaks' and so on.) A nice dinner vegan dinner can also be a Middle-Eastern / Asian affair where you just cook a number of tasty 'sides' and then share them with your date, who is usually thrilled to be presented with a number of colourful bowls and plates instead of the usual 'meat+veggies' kind of thing.

I'm pretty short on actual suggestions, but if you want to try something different what about making a bowl of Tino's lemon rice (recipe in the op), a lentil curry, some oven roasted veggies with a sauce, and perhaps some savoury nibblies like little falafels? A bowl of hummus is easy to make ahead, as is some tabbouleh, if you want try middle eastern. Don't be afraid to mix things up, it's your meal, after all. Just open a bottle of nice crisp white wine and maybe also make something sweet ahead of time to serve with coffee to finish things off. One thing people don't often get about vegan dining is that when done properly it is a lot more fun than regular dining!

e: typos

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 5, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wait how is pressing/freezing tofu a white people thing

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Wait how is pressing/freezing tofu a white people thing

Authentic Asians Never Freeze Their Tofu is something I heard in this thread. I'm not sure if that is supposed to stop me from doing so to get a different texture or what but you gotta shame people for something I guess

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

lord1234 posted:

I 100% recommend making a pasta dish together from scratch--it's more fun if you don't have a machine, too, imo. I've done spinach pasta in the past, which you can make into, functionally, any style you want. Hanging out, sipping white wine, and loving around trying to make like pumpkin-filled ravioli is 100% my style of Valentine's day evening, but the options are functionally unlimited. That, and it's pretty easy to make things you know you'll like since, I assume, you've had various pasta dishes before.

Tomato-based sauces are an option, though that requires a bit of waiting around to let them cook which can be fine if you budget time for it (or just say gently caress it and let it take however long it takes). BUT I've had a lot of success in the past making pestos with other people. You can make them out of basically any green vegetable you want and adjust to taste and if you gently caress it up you can always have a jar of Prego or some poo poo on hand to save the meal.

Also put that blender to use and learn to make some cashew-based Not Parmesan(TM). It's absurdly simple and the results are super worth having on hand for dishes that call for it.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

lord1234 posted:

I'm gonna go a bit off piste here and suggest Sri Lankan dal curry (she recommends subbing milk for coconut cream; you'd want to sub coconut milk) and Chetna Makan's cumin potato recipe. If you've got an asian market nearby, pick up some frozen paratha or pre-fab naan to round out the meal. For a first course, I'd go with a salad; do some googling for Sri Lankan, or Indian, or Bangladeshi salad dishes and pick whatever you think would pair well (maybe savory and veggie based; maybe fruitier for an inversion of the traditional savory-then-sweet).

And no matter what you decide to make, practice it once before cooking it for her (or anyone) to get the techniques and so you can adjust the seasonings to your taste without having to wing it on the day.

Also, I'm sorry to break it to you, but a lot of wine isn't vegan. The most common fining agents (gelatin, skim milk, isinglass, egg white) are animal products; do a search for "vegan wine" to find safe brands. And while I'm here ruining things for you, since my wife is a vegan confectioner I have learned that the vast majority of sugar isn't vegan either. Common white sugar is bleached with bone char, so if candy is on the menu anywhere, you'll need to check that it's made with unbleached cane or organic sugar (which by definition is not bleached with bone char).

mdxi fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 5, 2020

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Here is a pasta related idea:

Make Turkish Manti. These are like tiny raviolis. The dough is easy to make and really nothing can go wrong (they don't tend to pop or anything and are hard to overcook).
Inside, I would put Turkish walnut paste (again, probably some good options on google or youtube). Manti work with many varieties, many of them can be vegan. I have had them with different nuts combinations, herbes, mushrooms etc. (in a well known Manti restaurant in Turkey, so it's authentic and not necessarily a meat dish).

Once cooked, put them on a plate. Then you add some vegan yoghurt equivalent or anything else fresh and fatty. Vegan yogurt based on nuts would probably go really great with it. On top of that you add a mixture of tomato paste and oil: slightly fry the tomato paste in the oil and drizzle it over the plate hot.

Like so

It's good.
Like, super good. I always joke that after my Turkish wife made fresh manti from scratch, I immediately proposed. I am only half joking.

Edit:

https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2011/02/walnut-red-pepper-paste-dip-cevizli-biber/
I like to keep the Walnuts a bit bigger for this, or mix small and medium chopped bits.

Manti like so:
https://turkishfoodchef.com/turkish-ravioli-manti/

this has eggs, but you can use a dough without it. In fact, you can use any sort of dough you can roll out as pasta or pizza dough. Turkish cuisine is cool like that.
Just please don't call them "Turkish raviolis" in the presence of a Turk.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 5, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Sorry, no, but I do get frustrated when people ask for recipes. Like, just recipes, no qualification, no details about what food they like or what they want to cook or anything to narrow it down, just "recipes." I worked very hard on the OP and stuffed it full of like 80 links which together contain thousands and thousands of recipes, and someone who comes in saying "what should I cook" makes me feel like they're imagining there are about six good vegan recipes and everything else is poo poo, and so it would be nice if someone could please suggest the six good ones thank you very much. That is how most people think about veganism and it's so far from the truth that it makes me frustrated when I see people repeat the sentiment. If you literally just want "recipes," no details, then you could spend the rest of the month reading stuff linked in the OP and still have stuff left over.

As for shutting down every adjacent question, if you want to make a vegan thread for fake vegan food, go right ahead. I know what those threads turn out like because I read plenty of vegan blogs where every recipe is "mix vegan yogurt with vegan ricotta and then top it with vegan cheese" and there's nothing wrong with that but it's just not the kind of thing that I want to talk about, for various reasons. It's easy for a vegan thread to turn into "which fake cheese tastes the least like a rubber rear end in a top hat" because there are a thousand opinions on that sort of thing. I want this thread to be a thread for actual food - actual recipes that actual people came up with because they taste good, not as a substitute for different foods.

If I offended you with that remark about white people freezing tofu I apologize. It was not my intention to offend. I just think it's a very quick way of summing up a phenomenon I find pretty frustrating, which is people taking a wonderful, delicious, varied ingredient which has been a staple food in a few cuisines for hundreds (thousands?) of years and then immediately assuming that its taste and texture are bland and hosed up and that the only way to fix it is to run it through the proverbial ringer. To me that's more or less equivalent to saying there's nothing useful to learn from, say, Sichuan cuisine and that the only sensible way to cook food is to fit it into the American model of cooking, which is "what is my meat and what am I going to marinate my meat in," except in this case the meat is tofu. That sort of attitude frustrates me because I think it's the biggest obstacle to veganism: it limits people's vision of what a meal can be and what food can be. And it leads to someone thinking that there must be very few viable vegan Valentine's day recipes, because of course the main way to make a Valentine's meal is to cook a meat, and veganism rules that out.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 6, 2020

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I agree with your sentiment that a lot of places are trying to round-peg-square-hole vegan dishes, and I appreciate the variety of recipes posted. A lot of work has gone into the OP and it is a great resource.

I do think the thread is a little hyper-focused though. The guy looking to make a vegan health/fitness cookbook or some recipe ideas doesn't sound like it should be out of the scope of this thread. A healthy dish can still be a delicious dish. I understand the desire to not have this turn into a health-focused thread, but how much traffic is a super specific vegan only fitness thread really going to get in YLLS?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vinestalk posted:

I understand the desire to not have this turn into a health-focused thread, but how much traffic is a super specific vegan only fitness thread really going to get in YLLS?
My earlier post didn't say "no gainz allowed in here," I said this is a food thread so it doesn't have many resources and thus they should try checking out those other threads. If people want to post vegan gainz stuff in here that's fine by me (as long as it's not a bunch of fake cheeze or whatever) - that's still vegan food, after all. I was just trying to say that this is GWS and GWS threads typically don't have a lot of that kind of info, so they'll likely do better if they look elsewhere.

I didn't mean to come off as not allowing someone to post something. If I did I apologize. I was just trying to be helpful. I read a lot of GWS threads and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of gainz info in any of them. That's true of the Chinese food thread, the Indian food thread, the hot sauce thread, etc. It's also true of the vegan thread. It doesn't have to be true. If people want to post gainz stuff in here be my guest. But right now there just isn't a lot of that in this thread so I decided to link stuff that might be helpful. Again I apologize if it came off like I was trying to exclude that stuff. I wasn't. Any real food is allowed here, including gainz food. (I don't know much about gainz so I don't really know what that entails.)

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

It was me who was shut down for earlier for the nutrition question (by you) which I accepted and I subsequently did not engage or respond to keep the thread from being bad somehow. That's fine. I felt that I had valid nutritional concerns since I am struggling with retaining muscle now, AND a lot of good info got posted. But alright, I see your point and I went elsewhere.

But now some guy asks a pretty valid question - what is a meal you have prepared in a more festive or romantic setting that is also vegan? I am sure you did, I did and everyone did at some point have experience with making a meal that a) appeals and looks like effort and b) doesn't tend to go wrong for some complicated reason. All that needs to be done is to post some favorite meal for that occasion.
But he got shut down hard - and this made me go back a page and check and yup - same guy.

Look, I get it. It's a great effort op. But you come across in a very hostile way. I don't think you mean to, so I wanted to point it out.

As for the notion of real vegan food - I think that is fair. I posted the recipe above specifically because it can be prepared with a vegan filling and people in the actual country eat it that way. And that yogurt step - I should have said - can be skipped and many people do, especially for non meat manti the yogurt comes as a side if at all. I mention it because I think something like cashew yogurt would actually work pretty nice here.

Some concessions need to be made. The cultures that produce actual vegan food are mostly in S or E Asia. Not everyone enjoys that food every time.
As for white people freezing tofu... I don't get the issue but I am also not really offended. It's just a really weird thing to have a strong opinion about?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Again, I apologize if I came off as hostile. It get frustrated by the very common sentiment that vegan food is a limited, crabbed, very specific diet that requires searching out the few good recipes if you don't want to just eat, like, Indian or Chinese food every day or something:

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Some concessions need to be made. The cultures that produce actual vegan food are mostly in S or E Asia. Not everyone enjoys that food every time.
Because like, no! There are a million Ethiopian recipes, Italian recipes, Middle Eastern recipes, Mexican recipes, Hungarian and Hungarian and Hungarian and Hungarian and Hungarian recipes, Afghani recipes, Georgian recipes, etc. I get very sad and frustrated when people use the poverty of vegan cuisines and the shittiness of American fake vegan food as an excuse not to eat vegan when actually there's more vegan food around the world than they've ever heard of. I hear so many people say stuff like "I could never go vegan, fake hamburgers taste terrible and I can't just eat tofu every day" as if the only vegan food that exists are fake replacements for actual food, or tofu treated the way Americans treat tofu - frozen, pressed, and doused in sauce to disguise the fact that the texture is rather lamentable once you've frozen and pressed it. (Which incidentally explains why the "freeze the tofu!" thing set me off too.) It leads people to reject veganism because they wrongly think basically all the food tastes like poo poo except for the Asian food and the ten good non-Asian recipes, which let's face it, who can eat Asian food and ten good recipes for the rest of their lives? Nobody (except about a third of the world's population but whatever).

If I can digress for a moment: this is an ethics-free thread for similar reasons to why it's a fake-stuff-free thread: that all just derails from the conversation I want to have, which is about delicious vegan food. But I'm not vegan for taste reasons. I like hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, breakfast sausage, lovely Hershey's milk chocolate, and yogurt. I'm vegan primarily for ethical reasons. I think it's deeply evil to eat animals in most cases. And so it frustrates me for ethical reasons when people come up with excuses to eat animals, and most of the excuses are things like "almost all the good vegan food is just Southeast Asian and East Asian and I just can't have that stuff for every meal." That's just wrong! Like, I'm sorry, but it's flat out false. I know that you might not feel the same way about the ethics of eating meat as I do - lord knows the vast majority of the Earth disagrees with the vegan ethical stance. But I hope you can understand why someone with ethical views like mine might get frustrated by this sort of thing. Imagine you met people who say "gee I'd love to stop stealing money from your wallet, but there's just no other sensible way for me to get cash to feed myself." Maybe the first one or two or six or eighteen times you heard that excuse, you'd patiently sit the person down and explain that actually it's quite possible to get a job and earn money that way, rather than stealing your money. But after a while you'd probably get frustrated: like hey motherfucker have you noticed how many people get money without stealing my wallet?

I feel similar. I know it's wrong for me to let my frustration show because each person who says "hey what's a vegan food, lemme know what the good ones are" is asking for the first time. It's not like it's the same person asking each time. I should just be frustrated with the culture that blinds people to the existence of vegan food, not with the people who are asking the question. I apologize, again. I should be friendlier and nicer. After all, this is not the vegan ethics thread, so I shouldn't really be letting any of this get to me. I'll try to do better in the future, I promise. I'll try to be nicer. I just hope that (although I'm sure you likely disagree with me) you can maybe start to see where I'm coming from here.

So, sorry about the ethics derail. I know it's not a good defense of my lovely actions here. I should be nicer to everyone. I'll try. Thank you for pointing out that I came across as hostile.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 6, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And now, to cleanse the thread of all that unpleasantness, some recipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eso-DbzRY4A
The adorable Mexican grandma whose videos have been blowing up the Internet lately. In Spanish but easy to understand. My favorite part is how she adds "a little salt" to everything, by which she means about a handful.

Italian braised red onions.

Koulouri, a Greek sesame bread ring recently featured in the final episode of The Good Place.

A bunch of Indonesian food: fried tofu in chili soy sauce, fried tofu in spicy broth, jicama stir fry, fried tofu with galangal, stir fried green beans, generic pickle recipe and pickled shallots, coconut spinach rice, eggplant stew, kale in spicy coconut broth, chayote in spicy coconut broth, yam leaves curry (I dunno if I've ever seen yam leaves for sale so maybe use spinach or another leafy green...), chayote in fermented soybean sauce, eggplants with chili sauce, and for dessert, banana and mung bean starch cake, mung bean cake with grated coconut, lemongrass jelly, longan in ginger syrup, or mango. Also one bonus recipe.

From The Guardian, which often has good vegan recipes, four soups, including a broccoli, ginger and quinoa soup and a lentil soup with artichoke.

Spanish potatoes two ways: with romesco sauce and with mojo picon sauce. You can also serve that sauce with grilled leeks and finish up with a fig loaf if you love figs as much as me.

Finally, some relatively simple recipes:

Korean shishito peppers and potatoes
Ethiopian cauliflower and potato (lovely video, good food)
Russian eggplant caviar
German beet salad
Czech cauliflower salad
Russian borscht
Spanish mushroom soup
South African baked beans (chakalaka)
Greek beet and onion salad

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
TC, you do a great job and I really have loved thread.

For my own content, I like seitan a lot as a part of my weightlifting diet. It's easy to make since vital wheat gluten is packaged at stores nowadays, it's relatively cheap, it's straight protein, and it's very customizable to accentuate whatever dish you're making. To make seitan more enjoyable for my fellow health-focused vegans, I think the most common ingredients for adding taste are:

Vegetable Stock
Nutritional Yeast
Liquid Smoke
Tomato Paste

Those are a nice base to begin with something. The liquid smoke is probably the most optional part of that, since not everyone is looking for that flavor. 2:1 ratio of VWG to water then it's pretty much free reign to toss in any herbs/spices/ingredients and experiment. The kneading that comes after is really the only challenging part, because you really want to get in there and force all those glutens to bond together.

I'm personally a fan of steam then cook for texture and taste. But that is a more involved process. For meal prepping, boiling is quicker but you need to season the water a fair amount (veggie stock and/or salt) to prevent your seitan from becoming a glorified bouillon.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

While we're talking about this kind of stuff, I wanted to say that your posts (and many other excellent posts by others in this thread) have helped me eat a lot more plant based and discover entire cuisines and recipes I'd otherwise be ignorant of. So cheers for that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Liquid smoke is totally cheating in the best way. Magical stuff when used in moderation.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
TC is absolutely in the right and has every right to be offended when people totally ignore his hard work.
All good Asian groceries have yam leaves frozen and mine has them fresh too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

TheCog posted:

While we're talking about this kind of stuff, I wanted to say that your posts (and many other excellent posts by others in this thread) have helped me eat a lot more plant based and discover entire cuisines and recipes I'd otherwise be ignorant of. So cheers for that.

:same:

I don't know many other herbivores in person, and this thread has been my main resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"almost all the good vegan food is just Southeast Asian and East Asian and I just can't have that stuff for every meal."

Oh man, so sorry for the people who feel like that! I totally could have South/East Asian food for every meal. So many amazing options...

We made this killer black pepper/soy sauce mushroom sushi and red pepper nigiri the other evening. It was show-stopper delicious.