Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

do you cover Bloodlines the ill fated Aliens ripoff multi series crossover event that made exactly 1 menorable hero put of all the annuals it used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

do you cover Bloodlines the ill fated Aliens ripoff multi series crossover event that made exactly 1 menorable hero put of all the annuals it used

We're mostly focused on Vertigo and Mature Readers comics but we will definitely do a Hitman episode if only as an appendix to our Preacher series

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

dsriggs posted:

Why couldn’t Coward Tony/Coward Jericho just pay for Vinny to get on the drat cruise? He’s stuck up in Canada in the middle of Winter.

Vince’s other job is covering football. Leaving to a boat with limited internet during Championship week and the super bowl build probably isn’t a fit

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I Before E posted:

We're mostly focused on Vertigo and Mature Readers comics but we will definitely do a Hitman episode if only as an appendix to our Preacher series

if you do just make a note that this was running in 1993 in the middle of both of Knightfall and The Death & Return of Superman

friggin insane amount of crossover crossovers that again only amounted to one memorable hero

that wasnt even memorable for what he did in the series

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

coconono posted:

NJPW does their business off live gates and merch sales AFAIK. Its different than US promotions that are driven by their TV deals and when they usually lose that, they're so overextended without the TV money the promotion folds.

When has that happened?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

When has that happened?

ECW, WCW

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonna cut to the chase: do you talk about the BWAHAHA era of Justice League?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ah, yes, 20 years ago

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gonna cut to the chase: do you talk about the BWAHAHA era of Justice League?

No, but Keith Giffen did draw the cover to the comic we discuss this episode.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WSX, Lucha Underground, Wrestlelicious, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

E: gently caress YOU MOUSE I ONLY CLICKED ONCE

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TNA lost their deal with Spike and while they didn't actually die they more or less completely collapsed as a company.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ah, yes, 20 years ago

Ah, yes, I'll just name the two biggest examples of the thing you asked about and you'll be rude.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

TNA lost their deal with Spike and while they didn't actually die they more or less completely collapsed as a company.

TNA is an outlier because the people running it are too stupid to realize it died in 2009.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

TNA is an outlier because the people running it are too stupid to realize it died in 2009.

The collapse of TNA can pretty much be directly connected to the rise of Okada in New Japan which is hilarious for so many reasons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Neither ECW or WCW lived off their TV money.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

if you do just make a note that this was running in 1993 in the middle of both of Knightfall and The Death & Return of Superman

friggin insane amount of crossover crossovers that again only amounted to one memorable hero

that wasnt even memorable for what he did in the series

Who are you to doubt Nightblade

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

lol at the "collapse" of TNA

like it ever had a great rise to begin with

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Neither ECW or WCW lived off their TV money.

They certainly died without it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

They certainly died without it

ECW died because after the TNN deal there was no way to go forward so Heyman took the job with the WWF instead of continuing to lose money. The TNN deal was an attempt to get more exposure and improve house show and PPVs. It didn't do that. It isn't close to the same situation.

WCW was losing tens of millions of dollars and Turner attempted to sell before cancelling it. They couldn't because of Vince's deal with TNN. The company didn't die because it was cancelled and they weren't getting huge TV rights fees. The TV show was cancelled because the second buyer fell through and they were sick of losing millions upon millions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1219369812830359552?s=19

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lmao they let Bryan on the boat

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

WSX, Lucha Underground, Wrestlelicious, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Lucha Underground was a TV show not a promotion, so it would make sense that they folded when the show got canned

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Someone's boatlagged .

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lucha Underground was a TV show not a promotion, so it would make sense that they folded when the show got canned

they tried running live events. it didn't take.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

they tried running live events. it didn't take.

as I said...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This rules, goddamn. I want to see more of Stat doing moves like this in AEW. Don’t mind the other guy.

https://twitter.com/heelstratus/status/1219078551720398848?s=20

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

I'm noticing a distinct lack of gold on this boat.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

ECW died because after the TNN deal there was no way to go forward so Heyman took the job with the WWF instead of continuing to lose money. The TNN deal was an attempt to get more exposure and improve house show and PPVs. It didn't do that. It isn't close to the same situation.

WCW was losing tens of millions of dollars and Turner attempted to sell before cancelling it. They couldn't because of Vince's deal with TNN. The company didn't die because it was cancelled and they weren't getting huge TV rights fees. The TV show was cancelled because the second buyer fell through and they were sick of losing millions upon millions.

Okay, I'll concede the point.

Has there been a promotion that was in the profit until they lost their tv deal?

Maybe it's because TV deals have only started to be massively inflated in the last 10 years or so that it's become a possibility.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Jordan7hm posted:

This rules, goddamn. I want to see more of Stat doing moves like this in AEW. Don’t mind the other guy.

https://twitter.com/heelstratus/status/1219078551720398848?s=20

Has she even hit the 450 in AEW yet? If not it's wild that she just has that in her back pocket (and has the piledriver as an alternate sick finish for TV)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fez_machine posted:

Okay, I'll concede the point.

Has there been a promotion that was in the profit until they lost their tv deal?

Maybe it's because TV deals have only started to be massively inflated in the last 10 years or so that it's become a possibility.

I don't believe so. TNA wasn't profitable but they had to drastically cut costs after losing Spike and eventually had to be sold. So they went from unprofitable to very unprofitable.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRafTer posted:

I don't believe so. TNA wasn't profitable but they had to drastically cut costs after losing Spike and eventually had to be sold. So they went from unprofitable to very unprofitable.

iIRC TNA had like an 18 month window of profitability on Spike some time in 2010-2011.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

iIRC TNA had like an 18 month window of profitability on Spike some time in 2010-2011.

It was in 2008 and I believe it was less than a year.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TNA was definitely not profitable during 2010-2011 because that period was all about falling buyrates and spending tons of money on travel/Hogan and friends.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That screenshot reminds me how much I miss the chaotic feeling that WWF/E used to have (and that thankfully AEW is doing a good job of trying to realize), just that screenshot alone things look insane and if you watch the actual promo there's like 1000 things all going on at once and they're all incredible.

Yeah current WWE is so controlled down to the word that nothing fun can or will happen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ryan (from Cumberland, Maryland) wants a Jumping Bomb Angel to enter the Royal Rumble. Only one though, definitely not both of them. He also doesn't care WHICH one, but there can only be one of them there. He was very adamant about this.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
I’ll be honest here, I don’t much care for Ryan from Cumberland

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I thought he was banned

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's no Jim from Virginia, that's for drat sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah current WWE is so controlled down to the word that nothing fun can or will happen

Apparently Vince hated that promo.

So there you go.