Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Volume might be a factor too.

Metals, less dense than humans/water? Whoever made that sign did it to annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Inceltown posted:

250kg / person seems strange. It's in kg not lbs so they're not from the USA but that is also about the only place where you'd find 4 people that big together.

Elevators are rated for way more than those plates read, it's more just "This many people can fit into it without it being uncomfortable", with the kg thing barely even mattering.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Elevators are rated for way more than those plates read, it's more just "This many people can fit into it without it being uncomfortable", with the kg thing barely even mattering.

tell that to the 10 person max in my apartment building's tiny elevators. You'd have to be very familiar with the other people to get more than 6 in.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

bike tory posted:

tell that to the 10 person max in my apartment building's tiny elevators. You'd have to be very familiar with the other people to get more than 6 in.

Well, seems like someone isn't counting the overhead space when you have already 6 people crammed in there.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

bike tory posted:

?????

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nütte2Bütte

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was about to say idgi, but literally as I was typing it, I got it. Very droll.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Samovar posted:

I was about to say idgi, but literally as I was typing it, I got it. Very droll.

Ok, I don't get it. I thought it was just Frakes having some fun in outtakes. Am I missing something?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, I don't get it. I thought it was just Frakes having some fun in outtakes. Am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Mr. Frakes has had back problems since the late 80's, and that move on all the low chairs is him not wanting to either let himself down with an arm, or accidentally crash into the seat if his back spasmed.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

1 (fatass) horse

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Dannywilson posted:

Mr. Frakes has had back problems since the late 80's, and that move on all the low chairs is him not wanting to either let himself down with an arm, or accidentally crash into the seat if his back spasmed.
I feel that doesn't explain much about the original Riker chase video... I still don't get it.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Cable Guy posted:

I feel that doesn't explain much about the original Riker chase video... I still don't get it.

Don’t think of it chasing someone. Think of it as him running away from a chair that has lit candles where the chair-back is.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Could you break it down further for us?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

primate run

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agents are GO! posted:

Dannywilson posted:

Attempting the chair sitting maneuver he is well known for would set his genitals on fire. Many people do not like having their genitals set on fire due to the associated pain and injury. The joke presumes Riker/Frakes also does not want to have his genitals set on fire. The gif shows Riker/Frakes running away. In context, it is implied he is running away from the chair. It is implied he is running away because he is scared that should he swing his legs over the chair he will be injured as described above. The humour comes from the piecing together of disparate pieces of information and cultural references to reach an unexpected conclusion and is enhanced by the exaggerated nature of the depicted response.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

So he does some kind of abnormal move with chairs?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Goodness gracious.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I always thought that clip was him chasing the other crewmember, because it looks like he starts to run after he turns and sees them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mushika posted:

I know this is a few pages back, but insects are delicious. Toasted worms, too. I draw the line at dogs, cats, cetaceans, and pinnipeds, but invertebrates are fair game.

Take that back.

Octopodes are invertebrates.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The chair was wet.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

freeedr posted:

Frakes hurt his back many years ago while moving furniture and found that the normal "fall back into the chair" way of sitting tended to exacerbate the injury. He got into the habit of sort of side-stepping over chairs to sit and, if the chair had a low back like many on the Enterprise do, just sort of climbing over and sitting straight down. Frakes is 6'3" after all.

This has been your daily TrekFact™

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Scratch Monkey posted:

This has been your daily TrekFact™

SUBSCRIBE

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

freeedr posted:

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

What really gets me is him getting up off of the chair the same way

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

The post is now funny because he would be dragging his uniformed sack across open flames. Fine job all around

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

luv 2 wake up to a page and a half explaining a joke

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey keep up kayfabe, maybe we can do it all again

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I get that the chair would be uncomfortable to him because of his back problems since candles are not conducive with proper lumbar support, but that doesn't explain why he is running after the other crew member. Were they the one that built the chair?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I get that the chair would be uncomfortable to him because of his back problems since candles are not conducive with proper lumbar support, but that doesn't explain why he is running after the other crew member. Were they the one that built the chair?

It's meta. In this joke scenario, the Riker in the gif is responding to the post here on the forums about the chair. The clip has nothing to do with candle chair, they are forcing the interaction for the purposes of human comedy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't get it, can someone explain this joke to me?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

bike tory posted:

I don't get it, can someone explain this joke to me?

Data was laughing at the thought of how silly it is the way Riker mounts a chair, and after having a good laugh turns to see Riker take the captains chair 'over the top'.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Riker did that thing where he pretends to put his hair into a ponytail

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Solice Kirsk posted:

He isn't running after the other crew member, he's observing an anomalous/dangerous situation unfolding onboard the Enterprise, that requires a rapid retirement from the area, as the ship's Executive Officer Riker is the second-highest ranking member of the crew after the Captain, and often in charge of on-scene damage control, because of his position he likely feels morally and ethically obligated to ensure the safety of the crewmember in yellow (a junior engineering rating) so he's warning the crewmember of the dangerous/anomalous situation developing behind them, which the junior person had not yet observed, and encouraging them to flee as well. A more junior officer might not feel the same obligation, and might ignore his fellow crewmember or say something like "don't worry about why I'm running away, everything is normal.

Obviously the anomalous/dangerous situation is implied to be the chair that poses a unique risk to Riker's genitals, therefore it's even funnier that he would importune another crew member to flee with him, when the chair presumably poses no risk to said crewmember's genitalia.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Geordi's visor lets him see...through the fourth wall!?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

Riker did that thing where he pretends to put his hair into a ponytail

He should’ve grew a mullet when he grew the beard.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Elviscat posted:

He isn't running after the other crew member, he's observing an anomalous/dangerous situation unfolding onboard the Enterprise, that requires a rapid retirement from the area, as the ship's Executive Officer Riker is the second-highest ranking member of the crew after the Captain, and often in charge of on-scene damage control, because of his position he likely feels morally and ethically obligated to ensure the safety of the crewmember in yellow (a junior engineering rating) so he's warning the crewmember of the dangerous/anomalous situation developing behind them, which the junior person had not yet observed, and encouraging them to flee as well. A more junior officer might not feel the same obligation, and might ignore his fellow crewmember or say something like "don't worry about why I'm running away, everything is normal.

Obviously the anomalous/dangerous situation is implied to be the chair that poses a unique risk to Riker's genitals, therefore it's even funnier that he would importune another crew member to flee with him, when the chair presumably poses no risk to said crewmember's genitalia.

Yeah I'm still not getting it. Does Riker often talk about his genitals with the crew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

bike tory posted:

Yeah I'm still not getting it. Does Riker often talk about his genitals with the crew?

With aliens. I'm sure the crew picks up snippets here and there.