Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think it showed up in UW sometimes pre-khans. Vaguely remember seeing it in a top 8 at a gp or pt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Dream Trawler isn't like Prognostic Sphinx, it's like Dragonlord Ojutai

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

I think it showed up in UW sometimes pre-khans. Vaguely remember seeing it in a top 8 at a gp or pt.

This was back when Block Constructed was actually a pro tour format - are you sure you're not just remembering that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pretty sure, but it was still a pretty rare sight.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm not watching a 24-minute video of someone projecting their mental illness onto the internet. It's sad and I really, sincerely hope he gets help.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Froghammer posted:

I'm not watching a 24-minute video of someone projecting their mental illness onto the internet. It's sad and I really, sincerely hope he gets help.

Wow, hosed up. I bet your wife and your stairs wish you'd stop going down on them wrong.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jabor posted:

Every protection spell - if the aura gives -toughness, then the creature would die at the same time the aura falls off.
Protection specifically prevents being enchanted by anything with the defined value. It's why White Ward had to have that very specific text at the end (and the other Wards too in case they got hit by Sleight of Mind).

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
But seriously no one should watch Travis Woo videos. Didn't he get banned off of multiple platforms for promoting nazi poo poo?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yes, it was a weird nazi apologia type thing that he kept doing despite literally everyone who wasn't an obvious nazi telling him to cut it out. he kept it up and got banned from practically everything magic related and was so shocked about it because he is a moron.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
here's an exciting new hot take: all auras should work like banishing light and enter the battlefield, pick a target, then attach to the target, and if the target becomes illegal before it's attached, they're sent to the graveyard from the battlefield. auras that don't need to be attached to a thing, like bestow creatures, get to stick around. this doesn't make auras dramatically more playable since removal still makes them bad but it at least makes their interaction with their target becoming illegal vaguely sensible. it also makes heroic worse but heroic is a bad ability that no one cares about

mostly this makes auras that do things when they ETB better, and breaks Rancor i guess but Rancor is already a card defined by being too good and is never going to be standard legal again so why not make it better. this post brought to you by iroas' blessing

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Casting something like Lazotep Plating and forcing my opponent to put Inevitable End on one of their creatures sounds pretty good. Sign me up.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I bet your wife and your stairs wish you'd stop going down on them wrong.

Excellent work.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Wow, hosed up. I bet your wife and your stairs wish you'd stop going down on them wrong.

:drat:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Very little feels worse than losing in Sealed to someone that has an insane bomb, but is still playing four colours for absolutely no reason (and of course never gets punished for it).

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Had a ton of fun of pre-release! I really loved it! I made a UB deck and went 1-1-1. Well, sort of, the last guy was being nice after beating me R1, Conceding R2 (don't think he could've won, but who knows!), and then they wanted to wrap the night up and he threw me the W - he was really sure he would lose the last game anyway cause he felt his BW was "trash" and he had lost a bunch before me. I think he was upset, kind of felt bad for the lad. He might've been upset with me cause I was arguing a rule in both games but really I wasn't trying to angle I just want to make sure I understand the rules cause I'm a noob. Sorry to him if I made him have a worse time. Anyway, great fun! Looking forward to playing again. Seems like everyone in that shop is playing two-headed dragon. Don't know if I'll make it out for anything but pre-releases but everyone was really nice. Not sure if I can make my deck into anything worthwhile, might post list later.

PS: Escape is so much fun. I thought I'd have an easier time with Black devotion given my color spread but it was not the case! I think the devotion mechanic is really good, too. Enchantments are absolutely insane in this set, obviously I'm noob so unsure if this is more-oft the case than not but wow. I mean B does struggle with enchantment removal anyway. Lost a game and the set as a result (2-0'd) literally only because of The Akroan War wiping three really strong creatures. Wasn't able to regain my footing after and that was the game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Prognostic Sphinx was a mainstay in Block Constructed(lol) because it was the best big creature against Elspeth 6

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JerryLee posted:

On the one hand, it's incontrovertible that Magic is a complex game that's accreted a lot of corner cases over the years. A lot of this could've been avoided (or at least attenuated) if they'd been slightly less keyword-happy for much of the past two decades, but I digress.

On the other hand, it's really baffling how low some people's expectations are for new players just learning the various interactions as they come up, just like every other more-than-marginally complex game in the history of ever.

Some of the reactions (both direct and reported) to learning how interaction X works in Magic read as though you were explaining to a new player how pawn promotion works in chess, and instead of just going "oh, huh, cool," they sat there with their mouth open going :saddowns: but is pawn!! how can become queen?? :saddowns: Granted that, again, Magic has a lot more of these interactions than chess or really 99% of games, any individual case is still just an individual case and you can learn them as they come up; there isn't a test next week or anything.

Edit: In fairness, I guess another part of the problem is that in Magic your source for learning new interactions is often the person playing them against you, and there's somewhat more of a history of people being scummy (or just wrong) than there is in some other games.

there's a big difference between "the combination of these two things under the rules i explained to you interact in an unexpected and cool way, that you could figure out on your own but haven't yet" and "actually, rule 703(c)(ii)(2) says that in this one specific circumstance, this works differently than it works in every other situation, which you would never know short of reading the rules cover-to-cover, and have now gotten got, good game"

i would compare it less to pawn promotion - which is a basic part of chess, and is something everyone is taught when they are being taught the rules - and more castling in chess, which is sort of the same "you know how in literally every other circumstance you can only move one piece at a time? well, except for this, where you can move two pieces AND violate the rules on how those pieces move at the same time"

like for example, the oblivion ring blink strategy is a neat corner case caused by strict application of fundamental rules of the game in an unexpected way. it will have the same "wait, that seems like cheating" reaction, but you can explain why it happens and people get an appreciation for the complexity of how the rules can interact to do unexpected things.

and i mean, this sort of bizarre corner-case exploiting is fun in certain circumstances - a decade ago when there were regular PBEM alpha centuari game threads in the Games forum, those games frequently had to stop at least once per game to decide if something I'd just done was exploiting a legitimate quirk of the rules or exploiting a bug (Alpha Centuari unfortunately is buggy enough and complex enough it's sort of a matter of debate where one ends and the other begins). but it's bad design when it's a physical card game with rules that basically say outright "don't try to read these to understand the game, these are reference materials for judges" and i think it'd be a lot better if it either got removed, or the interaction was the unexpected result of a standard, regular rule that you need to know to play the game

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm really loving this Azorius enchantment deck, but the "right" version is going to end up Bant, which makes me sad.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

loving :laffo:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Huxley posted:

I'm really loving this Azorius enchantment deck, but the "right" version is going to end up Bant, which makes me sad.

What's the list? Also what makes you think it would be Bant instead of Esper?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Escape is a fun mechanic. I had my doubts, but one on graveyards at all times is neat.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I won all my games by resolving Kiora Bests the Sea God, digging to it with scry and draw effects. It was the least good I felt about winning prizes at a prerelease ever. It felt like cheating.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

What's the list? Also what makes you think it would be Bant instead of Esper?

This is the list I was playing all weekend:

https://twitter.com/BryanGo/status/1218285009146015744

And now that I'm actually comparing lists, the Bant deck I've seen is actually an evolution of ramp, not so controlly (it's still running Prophecy, Teferi, Elspeth saga but also is on Nessin Wanderer, Setessan Champion, Nissa and Krasis).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

evilweasel posted:

there's a big difference between "the combination of these two things under the rules i explained to you interact in an unexpected and cool way, that you could figure out on your own but haven't yet" and "actually, rule 703(c)(ii)(2) says that in this one specific circumstance, this works differently than it works in every other situation, which you would never know short of reading the rules cover-to-cover, and have now gotten got, good game"

You make some good points in your post (as you note, castling would probably be a better analogy; I also thought of, but didn't mention, en passant) but this is a really silly way of describing the act of pointing out that Sun Titan (or whatever) does not use targeting language and thus gets around hexproof (and that this will moreover work exactly the same way in every situation to which it applies).

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Please RT to help me out I made a mistake and I need your help goons
https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1219334365748121601

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Dream trawler is one hosed card in Limited.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Dream trawler is one hosed card in Limited.

I wish they could ban cards in Limited. There have been strong bombs before but nothing in recent memory compares to Dream Trawler and Kiora Bests the Sea God. At least the saga is a mythic.

Related, does anyone remember that guy who lost round 1 to a Pack Rat in a sealed PTQ and filed for reimbursement? Wizards said "Okay, but we won't do this again for anyone."

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Boco_T posted:

Please RT to help me out I made a mistake and I need your help goons
https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1219334365748121601

Look on the bright side. You made someone very pleased with their P3p2.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

InterrupterJones posted:

Look on the bright side. You made someone very pleased with their P3p2.

Bots don’t have emotions

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oceanbound posted:

Bots don’t have emotions

Yeah if anything all he's done is gently caress up the bot picks and now you'll see that poo poo pick three pack 2 and 3 for the next week and a half.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah if anything all he's done is gently caress up the bot picks and now you'll see that poo poo pick three pack 2 and 3 for the next week and a half.

Arena bots don't update based on user input.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

PJOmega posted:

I think arena bots are or were based off mtgo trends

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

PJOmega posted:

At least not automatically. Bots pick order update on every new version release. I assume whoever updates them might look at users picks on Arena, but maybe even that's giving them too much credit.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PJOmega posted:

They should :colbert:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

WalrusWhiskers posted:

At least not automatically. Bots pick order update on every new version release. I assume whoever updates them might look at users picks on Arena, but maybe even that's giving them too much credit.

bots had their pick order for blue cards in Eldraine nearly in reverse order of what was the general consensus for like two months, and then in the last month they just took them blue cards over basically anything to the point it was a mistake to try to play blue like 90+% of the time. bot orders aren't based on any actual reality as far as people can tell.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I think you all will find that machine learning takes years and millions of iterations to achieve perfection.

So, draft more, and the bots will get better. Any problem with the bots can be solved by throwing your money at drafts.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

2020 GP schedule through August is up, no Legacy but the rest of the formats seem pretty evenly distributed.

https://www.cfbevents.com/2020

Seattle being Team Limited is weird since it is the only team event.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

LifeLynx posted:

I won all my games by resolving Kiora Bests the Sea God, digging to it with scry and draw effects. It was the least good I felt about winning prizes at a prerelease ever. It felt like cheating.

Ran into that in an arena pre release pod and the 8/8 can be managed as long as you have some enchantment removal ready to fire.

That one green uncommon enchantment tuck is gonna be a p1p1 in many scenarios I have a feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
My EDH deck revolves around Zur the Enchanter putting Auras on the battlefield that get around Shroud and Hexproof so please don't do anything to how Auras work, thanks.