Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Linhardt is my very relatable ADHD friend so I’m happy he’s getting his chance to explore under the school like he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

:hmmyes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Mercedes is probably the best pure healer in the game, what with having Physic and Fortify, but Warp is Warp and Linhardt also comes with Excalibur.

I prefer Marianne. She has Physic, Thoron, and Silence.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Marianne rules but she’s actually one of the worst at a healer role and better off doing a hybrid fighting role

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FractalSandwich posted:

If it were up to me, all games would have exclusively female protagonists, and major characters, and minor characters. But that's an acceptable compromise.

I don't really suffer from "medium envy" the way some people do, but it does seem like anime are much more willing to have a mainly- or all-female cast than games are, in general. I wonder why that is.

Many women like seeing men along with women in the fiction they enjoy. Your take seems like it only makes sense in a world where the audience can only be straight males and you want them to only experience female characters to broaden their horizons or whatever.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 20, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Marianne has swords affinity for a reason. That reason is Levin swords.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Marianne is secretly your second reason caster not a healer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Been seeing guides that I should make Marianne a dancer

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
She's a really great dancer, but it's definitely not the optimal use of Marianne (Gremory or Dark Knight, for my money). It's like making Dorothea a dancer- she'll do great, because she has good magic and a great spell list, but because of her good magic and great spell list, its more optimal to make her a Gremory.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I still wouldn’t go in deciding anyone as your Dancer unless you’re going for some Sword Avoid +20 gimmick with Ferdinand or w/e. Dancer is best used as a band-aid to make your worst unit great.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I made Felix my dancer on my second playthrough, and even though he only very begrudgingly agreed to do so, I'm sure he enjoys being an unkillable dodge tank who also looks fabulous. Plus I showed him the secrets of Reason and he just asked if I could let him be a Mortal Savant one day. Which I may, because that's also a pretty fab lookin' class.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I made Felix into a Mortal Savant and Sylvain into a Dark Knight my first play through and while neither were great at the magic half of their jobs, they both looked rad and Fashion Emblem is what matters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

capitaldelendaest posted:

She's a really great dancer, but it's definitely not the optimal use of Marianne (Gremory or Dark Knight, for my money).

Hmm I was thinking Lysithea and/or Dorothea would be my Gremories

I was thinking I wasn't going to min-max but who am I kidding, I've been using tea time and gift guides so I might was well just start going all in.

This is what I think my squad will be? (I am in Golden Deer)

fByleth
Lysithea
Marianne
Hilda
Leonie
Ingrid
Dorothea
Mercedes
Annette
Petra

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it is BULLSHIT that I can't make HILDA and EDELGARD be on the SAME TEAM. this game loving SUCKS

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

indigi posted:

it is BULLSHIT that I can't make HILDA and EDELGARD be on the SAME TEAM. this game loving SUCKS

They are quarantined to the dlc because two axe girls is TOO powerful.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I put marianne on a pretty pretty pegasus so that she could always have an animal friend with her and because with Levin Sword (and later, Blutgang) she didn't really need her other spells, not when Lysithea is there.

KittyEmpress posted:

Also anyone who dislikes Mercedes is wrong.
:hai:
I generally try to win the tournaments with characters that make sense, but if I lose to a bullshit crit I 100% do this

hopeandjoy posted:

Linhardt is my very relatable ADHD friend so I’m happy he’s getting his chance to explore under the school like he wants.
linhardt tries to join ash house immediately because "professor, it's a giant dark cave, I could nap all the time and nobody could stop me, professor-"

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm I was thinking Lysithea and/or Dorothea would be my Gremories

I was thinking I wasn't going to min-max but who am I kidding, I've been using tea time and gift guides so I might was well just start going all in.

This is what I think my squad will be? (I am in Golden Deer)

fByleth
Lysithea
Marianne
Hilda
Leonie
Ingrid
Dorothea
Mercedes
Annette
Petra

If your main magic slots are already taken, I highly reccomend making Marianne a dancer, I'm doing that right now in BL maddening and it's great having a dancer with silence and thoron, plus the outfit is super cute on her. : )

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

If they were allowed on the same team then they would shatter the earth with their combined might.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hunt11 posted:

If they were allowed on the same team then they would shatter the earth with their combined might.

*extremely Barack Obama voice* then perish

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The best dancers are the token horse units (Ferdinand, Sylvain, and Lorenz) because this game hate horses. Ferdinand and Sylvain also have talents that work well with the dodge tank kit that the dancers have, and Lorenz looks really pretty in the outfit.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Endorph posted:

because i would not call sylvain, felix, or dedue 'overly feminine'. heck even if we're limiting this to people who can gently caress byleth for some reason, jeritza has a ponytail but is otherwise not exactly hyperfeminine. furthermore framing this as about 'straight men' is stupid when so much of three houses marketing is aimed at, and its fanbase consists of, women.

furthermore im not especially interested in takes on the gay rep in a game from someone who literally hasnt played it and seems dismissive of the idea of giving it any thought or credit.

oh ok, that makes sense and it's pretty silly of that tweeter! thank you :)

indigi posted:

when will we get an fe with all axe users on the same team? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The current gay male S-ranks are Linhardt, Alois and, I think, Gilbert and Jeritza? That does not strike me as dedication to any sort of archetype, and is a massive step up from the rest of the series which has one gay option per sex and both are with sociopathic sex pests.
Rhajat being a sociopathic sexpest is a lie forced on you by the homophobes at treehouse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Unfortunately she's from a child unit which is kinda weird and also in Birthright. I really don't like the Hoshidan siblings at all.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Btw Hegemon Edelgard having a nonzero chance to crit is bullshit.

^^It's true and it's bullshit that the translation of Rhajat is worse than the original, but unless I suddenly get the time and motivation to learn Japanese just for gaming purposes, I'm gonna have to keep judging the games by the version I am able to play.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 20, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Eimi posted:

Unfortunately she's from a child unit which is kinda weird and also in Birthright. I really don't like the Hoshidan siblings at all.

Takumi is great though, he's the only character willing to call out Corrin and that alone gives him my respect even if the game really wants to convince you he's wrong.

The rest are forgettable but Takumi is best bro.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

Doesn't help that Birthright is one of the most miserably boring games in the entire series. Really weird to me how they split fates between "the actually kind of good one" and "the dogshit one" but whatever.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Booky posted:

when will we get an fe with all axe users on the same team? :v:

Someone making this exact wish on a monkey's paw is the best explanation for Revelations that I can imagine.

Endorph posted:

Rhajat being a sociopathic sexpest is a lie forced on you by the homophobes at treehouse.

I honestly do not care about Rhajat enough to contest this. The important thing is that we can all agree that Niles is the worst.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Takumi is great though, he's the only character willing to call out Corrin and that alone gives him my respect even if the game really wants to convince you he's wrong.

The rest are forgettable but Takumi is best bro.

I mean that he's openly an rear end in a top hat is better than Ryoma and pegasus sister. (Hinata?) But yeah I'm replaying Fates just to see how it fails/holds up, and at least Conquest is better than I remember and I like a lot of the characters here. More than say the Awakening adult cast.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cyril is the best dancer cause he sucks otherwise

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Conquest is extremely solid in terms of gameplay, and the plot is so ridiculous it spins right back to amazing, whereas the other two paths are just boring.

I'm still not over the scene where Corrin tells Azura she's going to tell her handlers she's gonna do war crimes to get them off her back, and Azura absolutely losing her poo poo in the next scene because Corrin told her handlers she was gonna do war crimes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Conquest is hilarious because Corrin's blend of suicidally-incompetent and child-like naivete are so at odds with what's going on yet played perfectly staright. Garon is trying so hard to kill Corrin but then they just wander back into his throne room after inexplicably surviving another suicide mission and he's all "Ah yes, congratulations my child for passing my uh... fifth test of your strength! Truly you are an asset to this royal family! Now then, for my sixth test of your strength..." and Corrin just smiles blankly while all their other siblings squirm.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's endearing in a strange way. Like of course some princess raised in a tower all her life is a loving idiot. But she's gonna go out there and do her best. Then her actually competent siblings can save the day. The biggest problem is that Xander or someone should've come up with plan let's just kill the obviously evil king earlier.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Cyril is the best dancer cause he sucks otherwise

Wait, can you make Cyril your dancer? He's not a student.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Conquest is extremely solid in terms of gameplay, and the plot is so ridiculous it spins right back to amazing, whereas the other two paths are just boring.

OTOH, Conquest also decided Wary Fighter Golems was a good idea instead of horribly unpleasant, so “solid” is a bit of a stretch.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

OTOH, Conquest also decided Wary Fighter Golems was a good idea instead of horribly unpleasant, so “solid” is a bit of a stretch.

This seems to be a problem with letting the FE designers play with skills in general.

Also I am loving fed up with Edelgard critting my units from across the map in the last BL chapter. >(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cattail Prophet posted:

Wait, can you make Cyril your dancer? He's not a student.

I made Flayn a dancer, so I assume Cyril would work too. If you recruit him early enough

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Also I am loving fed up with Edelgard critting my units from across the map in the last BL chapter. >(

Note that Edelgard is a moron and will always spend one of her attacks on Dimitri who can tank them very well if he's in range.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

This seems to be a problem with letting the FE designers play with skills in general.

Fates is crazy dickish about skills. Like the idea of another ranged weapon and a ranged weapon triangle? Sure cool. Making one of those just loving give out debuffs that last for loving ever?!!? Fuuuuck off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Note that Edelgard is a moron and will always spend one of her attacks on Dimitri who can tank them very well if he's in range.

I've seen people say that but that is very much not what she is doing to me, I leave Dimitri in range, she goes for whoever she wants. And no one is tanking her crits for me on Maddening.

God I hate siege spell havers that can crit, it's the most bullshit fake difficulty.