Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Akuma posted:

I think it's a joke.
Its literally the same chatacter Ayoade uses in every other show he presents, I really don't see why people take exception to it in the case of the crystal maze.

Personally I think its quite funny and as a long time fan of the crystal maze I think its fine to have some self depricating humour about the shows shonky wobblyness and bad prizes.

Also yeah Ahnk Morepork is one of the most described fantasy citys out there and those shots don't really line up. Tbh I'd rather the show be good than slavish to the sorce material so we'll see how it end up I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why the gently caress did I watch Dracula even after reading people talk about it here. Jesus Christ.

Also I tried to watch flea bag and I don’t get it at all. I’m blown away by all the awards and stuff. Not for me.

Looking forward to Avenue 5 though. I’ll watch anything with Jared in it. Hopefully it’ll be funny.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Why the gently caress did I watch Dracula even after reading people talk about it here. Jesus Christ.

Also I tried to watch flea bag and I don’t get it at all. I’m blown away by all the awards and stuff. Not for me.

Looking forward to Avenue 5 though. I’ll watch anything with Jared in it. Hopefully it’ll be funny.

You know how if someone has a bag of really dodgy sweets (bacon flavoured popcorn, chewy durian pastilles) and if they insist that no, actually, it's really very nice, everybody stays the gently caress away? But if you tell people "oh sweet jesus this is ghastly, you have to try how ghastly this is" people will bite their hand off to give it a go?

I feel like Dracula is the same.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bape Culture posted:

You know how she talks to the camera? Eventually they introduce a character that notices her doing it and goes "what the gently caress was that?" and the audience (well, me, anyway) goes "oh gently caress!" That was pretty good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Avenue 5 started on HBO last night, so I presume Sky Atlantic tonight or soon? I thought it was good fun, and I totally didn't recognise Rebecca Front due to her accent. Good cast, if you can't tolerate Josh Gad this won't change anything though.

It's on sky one on the 22nd of this month
I feel like we've sorta abandoned the sky Atlantic gimmick in a lot of ways

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never had it (was always a Virgin Media guy when I was back home) but it always looked like it was a bit of a missed opportunity. 22nd isn't too long a wait at least, and it's not like it's been touted as anything 'must see' but it's a good cast/crew combo, especially if you like space comedy stuff.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Wife and I marathon-ed the whole second series of Sex Education last night.

Even better than the first series. More please!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Bape Culture posted:

I hated fleabag at first and only watched it to sneer at the actress’ impossibly posh name/accent, but ended up really liking the first season. It might grow on you if you can overlook or enjoy all the character’s problems being, you know, posh london person problems.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Dell_Zincht posted:

Wife and I marathon-ed the whole second series of Sex Education last night.

Even better than the first series. More please!

A good post.

Also: Avenue 5 was very funny. Strong start.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Saw that the guy in the shadow of the guy in the shadow of Morse was scheduled to perform at a venue I've been to in Brighton for evens, so figured I'd shoot them an email asking them to cancel, lest I then push the event organisers to go elsewhere. Will see what response I get and maybe urge others to write too. The annual events I've been to have been packed solid so hopefully call leverage things a bit.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I read a thing about how he dumped his 'too-woke' girlfriend because she liked that anti-toxic masculinity Gillette advert.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

Saw that the guy in the shadow of the guy in the shadow of Morse was scheduled to perform at a venue I've been to in Brighton for evens, so figured I'd shoot them an email asking them to cancel, lest I then push the event organisers to go elsewhere. Will see what response I get and maybe urge others to write too. The annual events I've been to have been packed solid so hopefully call leverage things a bit.
I don't understand what any of this means...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

This sounds like a really dickish thing to do.

Why not go all out and send an angry letter to your local newspaper? You might even get your picture published if you sensationalise it enough. Better practice that Angry Daily Mail face!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Akuma posted:

I don't understand what any of this means...

Lawrence fox is a prick

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

Lawrence fox is a prick

Even so, no need to try to ruin other people's night who already have tickets, may have babysitters planned or hotels booked etc.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Even so, no need to try to ruin other people's night who already have tickets, may have babysitters planned or hotels booked etc.

I am trying to remove the worst part of their evening. I also doubt anyone is travelling for it.

Edit; I just realised this is the wrong thread. But not so bewildering as if I'd posted it to the MTG thread or something.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 20, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

I am trying to remove the worst part of their evening. I also doubt anyone is travelling for it.

Edit; I just realised this is the wrong thread. But not so bewildering as if I'd posted it to the MTG thread or something.

Without being funny, how do you know? Quite ironic that you're trying to censor someone's evening based on what you think. Almost a bit of a fascist thing to do....

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wow you are making a sincere attempt to cancel a performance because you, personally, don't like him? Or because he did a Bad in some red top gossip column?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Toxic masculinity isn't a thing, don't mind me I'm just dumping my girlfriend for liking an advert that challenges my concept of manhood.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Without being funny, how do you know? Quite ironic that you're trying to censor someone's evening based on what you think. Almost a bit of a fascist thing to do....

I don't think you know what words mean.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
It's no worries anyway, I've shot them a email letting them know what bullshittery BizzaroAzrael is up to.

On another note, I was about to watch Dracula but now am very very glad to know it's shite and to skip it. (I'm not one to stare at car crashes)

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Dell_Zincht posted:

You don't understand what censorship is.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Taear posted:

It's on sky one on the 22nd of this month
I feel like we've sorta abandoned the sky Atlantic gimmick in a lot of ways

What gimmick? Having a channel with good stuff on it?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Wow you are making a sincere attempt to cancel a performance because you, personally, don't like him? Or because he did a Bad in some red top gossip column?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0NrIEt8rrw

Ignore the twee bullshit music here, the lyrics are genuine neo-nazi "kill all the non-whites and leftists" stuff, genuinely worrying.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Ignore the twee bullshit music here, the lyrics are genuine neo-nazi "kill all the non-whites and leftists" stuff, genuinely worrying.

I understand the tired PC gone mad angle of the song (And the first to fall is laughter // Just to quell the long offended), but I don't see where it advocates violence against minorities, if I'm being honest.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Laurence Fox is getting his moment in the sun because hes a posh guy who says "snowflakes" a bunch so I'm totally happy with him losing a payday.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ookiimarukochan posted:

No they aren't

The song is awful and so is he but there's no need to see things that aren't there

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The whole loving song is about how he needs people for his "resistance" which is against "leftists", and the literal neo nazi memes played on the TV while he sings about that are part of it. Do you guys work for print media or something?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Never heard of the tosser until now. I hope he steps on some sort of career land mine as it is for certain he's not a cool dude.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But what does the chap from Endeavour have to say?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The whole "There hasn't been any racist treatment of Meghan Markle in media, also attacking me is racist since I'm white and black actors should shut up about racism" thing Fox did sure was a doozy.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I think he’s realised that whatever career opportunities were available to him just because he’s a lesser talented member of the Fox Family aren’t as well paid as an inevitable Daily Mail column.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ookiimarukochan posted:

The whole loving song is about how he needs people for his "resistance" which is against "leftists", and the literal neo nazi memes played on the TV while he sings about that are part of it. Do you guys work for print media or something?

I didn't watch the video for more than 10 seconds because the song is horrible. I read the lyrics and it is a massive stretch to say they are "genuine neo-nazi "kill all the non-whites and leftists" stuff"

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Strawman posted:

You don't understand what censorship is.

OP said he's trying to "remove the worst part of their evening" which would suggest there are other acts as well. How is that not censorship?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

OP said he's trying to "remove the worst part of their evening" which would suggest there are other acts as well. How is that not censorship?

why can I feel a 12-page rant about "cancel culture" coming on

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just please stop with the 'huh maybe the anti-racists are the real fascists all along, really makes you think' hot takes, please I'm begging you. Trying to make this oval office lose a gig might or might not be a good idea or might or might not be censorship but it's not loving fascism.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

marktheando posted:

Just please stop with the 'huh maybe the anti-racists are the real fascists all along, really makes you think' hot takes, please I'm begging you. Trying to make this oval office lose a gig might or might not be a good idea or might or might not be censorship but it's not loving fascism.

Okay calling it fascism might have been a bit stupid of me but even so, you've got to see the hypocrisy here in what the OP is doing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Okay calling it fascism might have been a bit stupid of me but even so, you've got to see the hypocrisy here in what the OP is doing.

No I don't. What's hypocritical about it?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mickolution posted:

What gimmick? Having a channel with good stuff on it?

That it was only things from the US. More specifically HBO things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So he's a whiny bitch, let him have his gig. We don't need some dubious moral quarantine where we aren't allowed to hear from unpleasant people.

As a free person I don't appreciate people pre cancelling anything that might give me wrong idea.

E: Hell having thought about it, yes he should be taken off - but as a result of wholesale rejection by his audience. Not because someone pulled strings on a 'for your own good' basis.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 22, 2020