Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that thumbnail gave me ptsd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Fidelitious posted:

The blame lies pretty heavily on Crytek. The last statement CIG ever made regarding access to SQ42 is that it would be through the Star Citizen client, thus not breaking any terms of the GLA. That statement was publicly available, so it was pretty weird for Crytek to try and sue them over their release of SQ42 when
1. It hasn't been released
2. Their announced release method doesn't contradict any terms

Also, CIG has already paid all the costs required by their contract. They made a payment to get the license as well as including Crytek's work on the original prototype/demo thing. They also gave all their patches to the engine back to Crytek (eventually). As far as we know, CIG owes nothing to Crytek at this point.

I've checked and it's not in my correspondence with CIG when I got my refund (maybe because I've left early enough?) but I think I recall e-mails from CIG warning the leavers that after voiding their account which included both SC and SQ42, they would need to buy SQ54 separately when they come crawling back...

Was that not a thing? Maybe it was only reported in the "press" and I'm misremembering?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Latest update on that, had a meeting with my surgeon dude a few days ago, it's all systems go for the operation, so just waiting for a date now.
I am having the titanium screws put into my skull now, good poo poo imo.

It's this, it's pretty cool how it works - and my cyborg status will be reinstated

https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/hearing-aids/bone-anchored

Heh, ask them for the post x-ray. The surgeon went nuts drilling screws into my shoulder. You'll probably be able to pick up shortwave radio with your setup.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

shrach posted:

Question for people who still think there's some gotcha in the engine swap and Crytek have a good case relating to it
I mean...
CIG switched to Lumberyard, only it didn't really switch to it and continued working with CryEngine 3.7 fork.
So, yeah, Amazon says "we had the right to re-sell the historic versions of CryEngine" but is it so? Did Crytek just sell off their rights to their own engine to Amazon to do whatever with it?

Is this... normal? It doesn't sound normal. Maybe Crytek hosed up with the contract or they didn't anticipate how it could backfire.

I mean they are the ones that sued CIG for doing just that. Switching to Lumberyard and still using their code instead of Amazon's new fork / code.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

peter gabriel posted:

Latest update on that, had a meeting with my surgeon dude a few days ago, it's all systems go for the operation, so just waiting for a date now.
I am having the titanium screws put into my skull now, good poo poo imo.

It's this, it's pretty cool how it works - and my cyborg status will be reinstated

https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/hearing-aids/bone-anchored

Best of all luck with the operation man. And a quick recovery!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, ask them for the post x-ray. The surgeon went nuts drilling screws into my shoulder. You'll probably be able to pick up shortwave radio with your setup.

Titanium is a terrible radio wave conductor unfortunately.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ITT: we convince pgabz to get a brass skull plate and revive steampunk

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

ITT: we convince pgabz to get a brass skull plate and revive steampunk

OOOH, can we also have a boiler/furnace installed to power his cochlear implant?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Thanks all you rock :D

It'll be a while but I am in the queue or something now, I'll be press studding all kinds of crap to my head no doubt, I am thinking of balloons or kites or something

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AbstractNapper posted:

I mean...
CIG switched to Lumberyard, only it didn't really switch to it and continued working with CryEngine 3.7 fork.
So, yeah, Amazon says "we had the right to re-sell the historic versions of CryEngine" but is it so? Did Crytek just sell off their rights to their own engine to Amazon to do whatever with it?

Is this... normal? It doesn't sound normal. Maybe Crytek hosed up with the contract or they didn't anticipate how it could backfire.

I mean they are the ones that sued CIG for doing just that. Switching to Lumberyard and still using their code instead of Amazon's new fork / code.
Yeah but they sued CIG about two years before they bothered to ask Amazon what they actually licenced to CIG. Why would Crytek ask Amazon if they licensed CryEngine rights to CIG if Crytek didn't think they would be allowed to? Why would Amazon admit it in an email if they weren't allowed to? A cursory google search suggests Amazon paid $50-70m to Crytek, at a time when Crytek really needed cash. It wasn't a normal deal at all and given most people thought Amazon massively overpaid and I dare say probably still think that, you can be fairly sure they at least got the rights to do whatever they wanted with it.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

shrach posted:

Question for people who still think there's some gotcha in the engine swap and Crytek have a good case relating to it.

I don't understand what anyone who thinks there's some gotcha moment in the headers or whatever, actually thinks should have happened and how there can be a gotcha? I just don't even know where an alternative to CryEngine-source3.7.zip could come from that people still think CIG should have used to swap to?
Eight months later CIG changed Crytek.licence.txt to Amazon.licence.txt which at this point, seems acceptable unless Crytek want to have a go at suing Amazon for their relicensing practices.

It's what isn't in Lumberyard code that is in Cryengines. Easy to identify stuff like Scaleform is in Cryengines but if you look on all the builds of Lumberyard, it's absent and it's guaranteed there's other stuff that prevents "we switched in 2 days" statement from being true. The question can now be posed "did CIG go get a license for that bit of software?" because the debate is are they still using Cryengines things when they shouldn't.

Does Amazon have all the previous builds of Cryengine and everything attached to them, probably but unless they themselves released it via their builds of the engine, then it's still off limits unless you go pay for it through a 3rd party.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Songbearer posted:

If Common Knowledge had the same weight as evidence nobody would have funded Star Citizen

If common sense was common the world would have been a better place. But it's not.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

stingtwo posted:

It's what isn't in Lumberyard code that is in Cryengines. Easy to identify stuff like Scaleform is in Cryengines but if you look on all the builds of Lumberyard, it's absent and it's guaranteed there's other stuff that prevents "we switched in 2 days" statement from being true. The question can now be posed "did CIG go get a license for that bit of software?" because the debate is are they still using Cryengines things when they shouldn't.

Does Amazon have all the previous builds of Cryengine and everything attached to them, probably but unless they themselves released it via their builds of the engine, then it's still off limits unless you go pay for it through a 3rd party.

One of us must be missing something because Amazon literally said that they licensed to CIG the exact old versions of CryEngine to that which they licensed from Crytek. Lumberyard might as well be irrelevant, no one (CIG/Amazon/Crytek) is claiming CIG are actually using anything other than an old version of CryEngine. In my opinion, Chris Roberts' mouth is not a trusted source of information, the "we switched in 2 days" was Chris being allowed to talk when he shouldn't. Except now Chris Roberts never talks and we get less humour out of it...

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
$50 million for a full game engine is relatively cheap when you consider a game engine used to cost 1-3million PER game, I think even Ubisoft payed Crytek millions over a decade ago for the rights to use build off Cryengine for their own in-house engine that became Dunia, so the cost is pretty cheap to open it up to everyone.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Keep your hands off Eizouken Star Citizen!

Irony being the tiny goblin character is chris roberts in some ways.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DandyLion posted:

Titanium is a terrible radio wave conductor unfortunately.

Look at this fudster.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

shrach posted:

Question for people who still think there's some gotcha in the engine swap and Crytek have a good case relating to it.

CIG: Originally they got an exclusive licence for CryEngine from Crytek. It's exclusive to CIG, they cannot resell it.
Downloaded:
Cryengine-source3.7.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt

Amazon: They got a non-exclusive licence for CryEngine from Crytek. They can seemingly resell whatever they want and make whatever changes they want.
Downloaded:
CryEngine-source3.7.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt
CryEngine-source3.8.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt
Created:
Lumberyard-source.zip which has whatever headers and Amazon.licence.txt

CIG: Swapped from CryEngine-source3.7.zip to CryEngine-source3.7.zip which are actually identical, so there's no headers to be changed or anything to even swap.

I don't understand what anyone who thinks there's some gotcha moment in the headers or whatever, actually thinks should have happened and how there can be a gotcha? I just don't even know where an alternative to CryEngine-source3.7.zip could come from that people still think CIG should have used to swap to?
Eight months later CIG changed Crytek.licence.txt to Amazon.licence.txt which at this point, seems acceptable unless Crytek want to have a go at suing Amazon for their relicensing practices.

to me that feels like something that should not be possible.
Amazon doesnt want it because that just allows ppl to license their multiplayer games with cryengine license if they dont use lumberyard's features.(by using older version of lumberyard)
Crytek doesnt obviously want it either because it lets ppl skip 5% royalty on single player games by going to amazon license instead.

That is for all those 10 games that are still being developed using lumberyard/cryengine (new world, hunt showdown, and all the other longer term projects )

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
And more to the point that interests the end consumer / gamer and/or backer. (because gently caress if will try and find more reason to Crytek's actions, screw them)

How misleading is the "built with Lumberyard" tag for Star Citizen in the Amazon's official Lumberyard page?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Thanks all you rock :D

It'll be a while but I am in the queue or something now, I'll be press studding all kinds of crap to my head no doubt, I am thinking of balloons or kites or something

i hope it all works out for you in the best possible way dancing cat man

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The whole fun about space court was always that Discovery or eventually the court case would dig up stuff that the most open development ever kept hidden because well, they would not work well as marketing or it would expose their incompetence / scam further.

We may have known about the fake engine switch, and trust me, if you have some development experience what happened is hilarious -- yea, so is their use of "refactoring", etc. or their first hellish Gantt charts but imagine a higher degree of hilarity.

But that poo poo being admitted by Amazon (in the e-mail) and being used by CIG to prove they are within their rights (while having lied to their own backers about what they did) in a legal document, two years after the "switch" and into the legal drama... this is what space court was supposed to bring all along :lol:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Fidelitious posted:

The last statement CIG ever made regarding access to SQ42 is that it would be through the Star Citizen client, thus not breaking any terms of the GLA. That statement was publicly available, so it was pretty weird for Crytek to try and sue them over their release of SQ42 when
1. It hasn't been released
2. Their announced release method doesn't contradict any terms

Cry got to discovery in part by arguing that selling & marketing SQ42 solo was enough to break the contract. So it’s not like it was a totally sketchy position or a waste of time exactly. CIG naturally have focused mainly on the rest of the clause, regarding actual delivery (because they like to keep us entertained). But it was still up for debate in court.

quote:

Also, CIG has already paid all the costs required by their contract. They made a payment to get the license as well as including Crytek's work on the original prototype/demo thing. They also gave all their patches to the engine back to Crytek (eventually). As far as we know, CIG owes nothing to Crytek at this point.

The patch stuff came post legal action, so they get legal points there. Which may help any dismissal get ‘without prejudice’ status. So there’s that. (And I want to see jury selection, Agent’s margarita posting, and at least one more giant redaction. Stop trampling on my dreams XD)

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 20, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shrach posted:

quote:

I dunno about ‘good case’, I’m just not sure it’s a dead case just yet.

Here are my massive guesses as to why...

* Cry says the GLA was never terminated. The grounds for termination were pretty high. CIG don’t seem to have argued back at all on this. I’m guessing the GLA is still in effect (at least in theory).

* Code audits seem to be able to tease out some form of history timeline. (I’m damned if I’m going to read all the Linux court cases, but that’s the gist I’m getting). Assuming the current code hasn’t been re-written wholesale, then there’ll be some code in use from the pre-Lumberyard times. That, I’m extra-guessing, would keep the GLA in play. (Potentially up to any SQ42 launch).

e: The Amazon license to use that same CE codebase doesn’t necessarily supersede the Cry license. They’re possibly both in effect.

I don’t know if any of the above is true. But it seems to be what Cry’s argument is. And these bits also got over the line to the discovery stage. Plus there seems to be some precedent for the audit stuff. So who knows :shrug:

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 20, 2020

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Dark Off posted:

to me that feels like something that should not be possible.
Amazon doesnt want it because that just allows ppl to license their multiplayer games with cryengine license if they dont use lumberyard's features.(by using older version of lumberyard)
Crytek doesnt obviously want it either because it lets ppl skip 5% royalty on single player games by going to amazon license instead.

That is for all those 10 games that are still being developed using lumberyard/cryengine (new world, hunt showdown, and all the other longer term projects )

CIG does add a bit more and mentions "rights which Amazon granted in order to minimize the engineering time it would take CIG to migrate to Lumberyard."
The implication is clear, that CIG did get a special licence from Amazon and part of the deal is that CIG are probably supposed to switch over to the actual Lumberyard engine. The fact that they haven't actually switched to Lumberyard yet feels like that is something between CIG and Amazon that we may get to look forward to on another day.

AbstractNapper posted:

And more to the point that interests the end consumer / gamer and/or backer. (because gently caress if will try and find more reason to Crytek's actions, screw them)

How misleading is the "built with Lumberyard" tag for Star Citizen in the Amazon's official Lumberyard page?
CIG mention this kinda if you can figure out the redacted part given the context. "By agreement dated April 30, 2016, Amazon granted CIG the right to use [SIX LINES OF REDACTED poo poo]. On December 23, 2016, after taking multiple steps to effect a switch of its engine code to the [~22 CHARS REDACTED] under license from Amazon, CIG began displaying the trademark for Lumberyard instead of CryEngine on the opening splash screen for Star Citizen."

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He’s pretty invested in SC isn’t he? From what I’ve seen nearly all his videos slant in favor of CIG.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

MarcusSA posted:

He’s pretty invested in SC isn’t he? From what I’ve seen nearly all his videos slant in favor of CIG.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok yeah that’s what I thought.

Honestly he’s a lawyer and a SC fan so I really don’t trust anything that comes out of the dudes mouth.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I'm still kinda divided on the trial.

While I'm rooting for Crytek, I wouldn't mind if they were cryRekt. CR would lose a golden way out of this mess and the poo poo show would continue for longer.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'd much rather CIG continue to shamble on eventually releasing some kind of SQ42 which gets reviewed poorly and Chris can't blame anyone but himself.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Which one of you bastards is part of the new Moderators team on starcitizen_refunds? Before I submit my entry request, I'd like to know which goon I'm dealing with...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

mjotto posted:

Which one of you bastards is part of the new Moderators team on starcitizen_refunds? Before I submit my entry request, I'd like to know which goon I'm dealing with...

To gain entry, first bring anime to the cockroach king

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

AbstractNapper posted:

It's certainly possible: a licensor (Crytek) can grant his licensee (Amazon) the right to license the product to third parties (CI-not-G).

Like everything regarding IP and contracts, the contract must address the scope and limits of this right to sub-license. For instance, the original licensor might be entitled to a fee on every sub-license, or the licensee might be allowed to sub-license only to a specific customer or geographic market, etc.

And again, like everything regarding IP and contracts, if your licensing agreement was drafted without addressing those issues, that will be up to the court to interpret if you did or not.
Of course you can also explicitly have granted your licensee the right to freely sub-license your product because you were starving for cash.

Until we see what is in Crytek/Amazon agreement, we'll never know.

People tend to forget that the Yerli brothers are almost as exceptional as Croberts.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 20, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on, today has been loving wild

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

cryrekt!!!!!!!!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

https://youtu.be/Bw-opH4f8Qg

Man, the more videos I watch about MS Flight Simulator the more amazing it seems. Like this is the actual cutting edge of game development, not shoving a bunch of empty and lifeless planets into a broken CryEngine mod from 2011.

It has all of the fiddly details that any tedious game dad sim junkie could want, it even has fully simulated cockpit controls and gauges; all combined with a gorgeous 1:1 recreation of Earth with terabytes of real world satellite data streamed from Microsoft’s servers.

And you don’t have to spend $1000 for a single airplane.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

the new stargur fiasco i would guess :allears:

Citizens nuking the only resource they could turn to if RSI/CIG went bankrupt .
This is like repeat of that bot that scoured SA thread for pic's and mass reported em to imgur. Taking down tons of citizen submitted pictures in process and even more cute cat pictures.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on, today has been loving wild

Are we in trouble for these "hate crimes" I mean do I need to get a lawyer? I hear Ortwyn is amazing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

CRIMES AGAINST VIDEO GAMES

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

#FreeBORTWAGGEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Chris publicly said that they switched to Lumberyard. Turns out he lied and they never switched.