Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sheep Tag ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’ve always thought Burbenog’s was the best tower defense game I’ve played and nothing else really compared. It was like this cooperative but competitive thing with crazy variety.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Cats and mice was amazing.

Those rpgs with savefiles built into the map.

The Thing where you do bloodtests to figure out who the monster is.

Heaven vs Hell.

War3 maps are the best.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

eric ciaramella posted:

how's underlords doing? they making money on that yet?

Andrigaar posted:

Underlords lost like 80% of its consistent playerbase.

I check the cost of the cards every 1-2 months also. That it's stable at $40-$50 when the amount of players is usually under 100 is mind boggling.

Underlords fell into the problem Valve had with Dota 2 (which started losing players due to it.) That is, Valve started making huge changes in response to Reddit idiots and also ideas that they thought sounded good. Here's Underlords on the board - no, they're not balanced well, but it's okay, they'll fix it! Here's another Underlord and he sucks! Also, now your Underlord abilities are entirely random! Now certain alliances have been removed entirely. Now this, now that. It prevents players from feeling comfortable with the game but also prevents them from figuring it out at all. Why would you play if you could come back in a week and find these huge changes that typically aren't balanced well, if at all?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I miss old wc3 customs. Island defense with the titans or whatever was super fun.

I wonder if people will bother with wc3 reforged custom maps

At this point, Reforged is looking to be a disaster, so, it's unlikely.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

At this point, Reforged is looking to be a disaster, so, it's unlikely.

What's going on with Reforged? I haven't followed anything about it since it was first announced.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Anyone remembers Tides of Blood? I was an idiot back then but I liked it far more than DOTA.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Leagues TFT does the same thing with reworking poo poo every season, I kind of treat of like a card expansion like CCGs at this point. A buddy of mine is less into it since they're pretty much flipping the table every season making it a new game to learn.

Char posted:

Anyone remembers Tides of Blood? I was an idiot back then but I liked it far more than DOTA.

Jimmy eat World, pluck yew. The abilities felt more wild in that game in general I recall.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Agrias120 posted:

What's going on with Reforged? I haven't followed anything about it since it was first announced.

In short: a lot.

In 2018, we saw our first gameplay of Reforged: the 'reforged' mission where Arthas purges the city of Stratholm and has his conflict with Uther and Jaina. It had all the things Reforged had been sold as having throughout the various campaign maps, for better or worse. New cutscenes, new voice acting, a map to better match WoW's take on the city, etc. According to people who played it, the map had mini bosses and easter eggs and all sorts of new stuff in it. There was also a new UI.

By 2019, all of that has been removed or rolled back. Apparently, this is due to significant members of the Warcraft 3 community really disapproving of the changes. Blizzard has mentioned in interviews, but not actually announced, that there won't be any new cutscenes, no new voice acting, no map changes, etc. But the pre-order page on the Blizzard website still lists that there will be four hours of new cutscenes ("Enjoy an epic saga retold with over four hours of reshot cutscenes and updated voice-overs that breathe new life into the earliest renditions of Azeroth’s key characters.") On the Warcraft 3 subreddit, there's even a big stickied thread that says, basically, 'We don't actually know what's in Reforged yet, information is conflicting.'

Then, Blizzard missed their release date of December 2019. They had a beta, though, but that brought with it more problems - there's bugs and issues and the graphics aren't nearly as good as what was seen in the Culling demo. While Blizzard has said it's due to feedback making them have these changes, if you go back and look at all the videos and threads, people are generally pretty positive and hoping for the changes (excepting the UI.) It seems like Blizzard just might not have had the manpower or resources to complete the things they promised. Apparently, all the new graphics were outsourced to another studio.

So, at this point, it looks like Reforged just might be a Warcraft 3 HD model and texture pack. And while there's some good in that (they're redoing all the units that share models to make them unique) it's really not was promised or advertised and Blizzard's been really cagey about what people will be getting for their money in a week's time. The Blizzard forums are burning down with people who are upset that the Culling demo is, seemingly, nothing like what they're getting. While there are a lot of War3 purists (I'm not interested in any of the new stuff, for example) there're a lot of people who came to Warcraft through WoW and thought they were getting a Warcraft 3 that would match the new stuff. And appeasing the purists, if that is what Blizzard has done, is strange because not only are they a much smaller market, they could also just import the old maps into Reforged and have them work perfectly, which people have already done. There're Reforged playthroughs of the original campaign maps up on Youtube right now!

It's possible that Blizzard has been lying in interviews, and Reforged is going to be like the Culling demo, but it's just been radio silence and no one seems happy about it at all.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 21, 2020

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Char posted:

Was that the one with the script kiddie hero whose ultimate ability was to spam hundreds of particle efforts, therefore forcing players with bad hardware to crash out of the game?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Char posted:

I loved that map, it's where I figured out what "feeding" was, by doing it a lot.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

God reforged is honestly at a hot mess level right now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there any blizzard property that isn’t a flaming disaster right now?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

In short: a lot.

drat. Thanks for that. That's, uh, some poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The only thing I remember about Tides of Blood is I think there was a straight-up Paul Atreides ripoff with a Weirding Way ability

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
It's interesting to compare it to the Starcraft Remaster. Through the development process, there were updates just about every week. In Reforged, there's been virtually none since the Culling demo at Blizzcon. The Starcraft Remaster was very clear about what it was, and the few alterations they made (just giving the big green text infodumps some pictures) were generally quite positive. I've seen the theory floating around that Blizzard vastly underestimated the amount of work it would take to "reforge" Warcraft 3, but that seems like it makes Blizzard out to be incredibly stupid. But the idea that they did all this work and then scrapped it because pro players of an almost two-decade-old game got upset, that's crazy, too.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Hearthstone Battlegrounds seems popular

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Their tax department seems to be doing quite well.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Anyone ever play wc3 island troll tribes? You were a team of four and would probably starve to death without some good hunting, when you figured it out though you could build like tents and meat storage and eventually you'd send a guy to one of the other islands with a bonfire and they'd just drop a bonfire next to the other player's buildings to burn them down. Good times.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Horizon Burning posted:

It's interesting to compare it to the Starcraft Remaster. Through the development process, there were updates just about every week. In Reforged, there's been virtually none since the Culling demo at Blizzcon. The Starcraft Remaster was very clear about what it was, and the few alterations they made (just giving the big green text infodumps some pictures) were generally quite positive. I've seen the theory floating around that Blizzard vastly underestimated the amount of work it would take to "reforge" Warcraft 3, but that seems like it makes Blizzard out to be incredibly stupid. But the idea that they did all this work and then scrapped it because pro players of an almost two-decade-old game got upset, that's crazy, too.

The negative response to The Culling Demo would probably be the issue to me. Blizzard want Warcraft 3 Reforged to appeal to the people who already own Warcraft 3, because it's a captive audience they are trying to tap (it's the same as why Classic is almost perfectly a copy of actual Classic instead of the feeling/ideas of Classic with no jank/better art).

This is dumb because the changes made for The Culling demo were actually extremely good, and anyone whining just wants a HD texture pack instead of an actual interesting product.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone remember the evolution map? The one where you'd run around eating critters and grow increasingly stronger, until all players are dead.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone remember the evolution map? The one where you'd run around eating critters and grow increasingly stronger, until all players are dead.

someone pls photoshop Spore cell stage with arthas head on the cell tia

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

queef anxiety posted:

someone pls photoshop Spore cell stage with arthas head on the cell tia

It's basically the human campaign but in 30 minutes.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Lord_Magmar posted:

The negative response to The Culling Demo would probably be the issue to me. Blizzard want Warcraft 3 Reforged to appeal to the people who already own Warcraft 3, because it's a captive audience they are trying to tap (it's the same as why Classic is almost perfectly a copy of actual Classic instead of the feeling/ideas of Classic with no jank/better art).

This is dumb because the changes made for The Culling demo were actually extremely good, and anyone whining just wants a HD texture pack instead of an actual interesting product.

Well, let's look at some stats. If we bring up Blizzard's Culling campaign trailer, there's 7800~ likes and 300~ dislikes. If we bring up Grubby's (a Warcraft 3 pro player) playthrough of the demo, there's 11,000~ likes and 700~ dislikes. Back2Warcraft has an outlier ratio of 16,000~ to 9500~ but there are many, many comments from people saying they're rating it down because the people playing won't shut up and let them hear the voice acting and such. Of the first ten comments on that video, over half are some version of 'please shut up.'

Seems like Blizzard is really overvaluing whatever they think that core audience is.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 21, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I looked up the culling demo and it looks really bad and unfinished tbh. Seems like something they rushed out for blizzcon just to have something to show.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Horizon Burning posted:

Well, let's look at some stats. If we bring up Blizzard's Culling campaign trailer, there's 7800~ likes and 300~ dislikes. If we bring up Grubby's (a Warcraft 3 pro player) playthrough of the demo, there's 11,000~ likes and 700~ dislikes. Back2Warcraft has an outlier ratio of 16,000~ to 9500~ but there are many, many comments from people saying they're rating it down because the people playing won't shut up and let them hear the voice acting and such. Of the first ten comments on that video, over half are some version of 'please shut up.'

Seems like Blizzard is really overvaluing whatever they think that core audience is.

Or undervaluing Youtube Like/Dislike ratios.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Also lots of wc3 players like grubby are airing their worries about the game as well

I'm baffled how a really easy money making remaster is in such a state

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MiddleOne posted:

I looked up the culling demo and it looks really bad and unfinished tbh. Seems like something they rushed out for blizzcon just to have something to show.

Yeah when they first showed that cutscene my first thought was that it had to be a placeholder because it looked and sounded really amateur.

But no it turns out that was the good version of the game that will be lost to time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Genesis of Empires was one of my fave maps and I always wished someone made an RTS like it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm curious if the "unique model for every unit" is biting Reforged in the rear end. Off the top of my head there are more than 200 creeps alone, and in classic WC3 every 3 or so of them shared one model. For instance, Mud Golems, Rock Golems and Granite Golems all used the same model, except Mud Golems were tiny and Granite Golems were purple. Going from 70ish unique models to 200 seems like a ton of work, and that's not including all the various one-offs that appear in campaign maps.

MiddleOne posted:

Was this the one where you could evolve into an Undead, which gave you Fortified or whatever building armor was, which meant you beat most other evolutions? IIRC you could also evolve into some kind of holy units, which gained Siege damage that let them poo poo all over Undead but otherwise kind of sucked.

I think there were a few evolution-type maps so I may be misremembering.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It has now been 1 year since the last update for Artifact.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/583950/announcements/detail/1712958942366879379

Happy Long Hauliversary!!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
People would sue for that long haul poo poo but no one really cares. It's embarrassing they couldnt even make it to one expansion.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 29, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Love how they spent so long trying to make 4d chess and wouldn't listen to any feedback that the game wasn't fun and then Runeterra comes out and has a slight gimmick on the Hearthstone formula and it's a million times better and people love it. Imagine how bad Runeterra would be if your units attacked and defended randomly. What the gently caress were they thinking

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's still nutty to me that Garfield came up with the design first and then thought hey let's make this Dota. It's a really bad design that made me think it was trying to translate Dota into a card game rather than make a card game with Dota dressing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly the core design of "card game played across three lanes" isn't terrible, and I suspect that's more what Garfield is referring to. It is admittedly a cool gameplay puzzle of needing to manage multiple boards at once with the same deck, choosing when to abandon one board to gain an advantage in another, etc. I think a really cool and interesting game could be made of that, but artifact is NOT it. I wonder exactly how much of the game Garfield "made" before taking it to valve - at least with tabletop games, they can change quite drastically from when they're initially designed and pitched to when they're published. It's fully possible Valve were the ones that added the random bullshit and were the ones who designed the boring rear end cards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah the core concept it fine. It's the Dota specific elements (item shop, random creeps etc) that bog it down. That and the boring cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is it any better than if that Elder Scrolls game were played across three lanes instead of two?

I definitely feel like splitting things up into three entirely separate boards made it a huge pain to watch, and something like making three lanes that you see and play all at once would have been better.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I enjoyed artifact honestly. The three lane thing was extremely my jam but games were way too long

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 29, 2020

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I liked artifact too. it just needed a few tweaks to rules, some card rebalancing, and a new interesting set.

it had no advertising, no community engagement, no interest. they expected to open the doors and have people flood in. they were idiots. it's not a bad game but they botched the roll out so completely that it never had a chance.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Who won the $1,000,000 tournament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
the rumor was that we only got half of what should have been the first set at launch, right? it really was like playing a pre-Modern MTG core set, like Sixth Edition or something