Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This wasn't awful, but man those were some bad aliens, with a queen determined to chew as much scenery as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
With the Mars connection and similarity to the Racnoss, I wonder if we’re supposed to possibly think that their hive formed the core of what would become Mars ala the Racnoss with Earth.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
"Looks like you could fit 30 or 40 elephants in this baby, then transport them a couple hundred feet above New York, open the door and BLAMMO! Heh heh. Edison, you've done it again."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Decent enough to watch while eating nachos. Goofy adventure with some historical figures in it.

I thought about it and what tipped last week's episode for me is I'm sick of looking at grey wasteland post apocalyptic quarry settings.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
"Let them have the present. The future is mine."

B+ episode for me, as Tesla vs. Edison is one of my favorite "what if" arguments.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Complete soppy fan fiction level wankery.
Starting to get sick of them meeting famous people, gushing over them, then the famous person just ignoring asking questions and accepting their fate without going apeshit meeting someone from the future.
Hated the Van Gogh one for the same reason, if there was a whole gallery about me I would try to find out what the gently caress I do next.
Edision would have shot the Doc in the back of the head for the chance to get his hands on Tardis tech.
But oh no, sly winks and everythings perfect.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Better than the last episode at least.

The alien scorpion things were pretty cool though.

I know I talk about the monsters of Who a lot, but that has always been my favorite part of the show. Its weird though, the old show with no budget had super cool and interesting monsters, while new who with a modern TV budget, the monsters have just been, bad for the most part.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

A much better episode than last week.

The Doctor praising Tesla as "Should have been the first billionaire," was some weird bullshit, implying that she finds being a billionaire praise worthy or even interesting?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

happyhippy posted:

Starting to get sick of them meeting famous people, gushing over them, then the famous person just ignoring asking questions and accepting their fate without going apeshit meeting someone from the future.
Hated the Van Gogh one for the same reason, if there was a whole gallery about me I would try to find out what the gently caress I do next.
Edision would have shot the Doc in the back of the head for the chance to get his hands on Tardis tech.

The worst were the Rosa Parks and Ava Lovelace/ Noor Inayat Khan. These were people of great intelligence and will who were reduced to props. The Doctor comes in and says "I know you. You're (insert name here) You're important to history/." Then these strong willed humans might as well have been a cutout with their name below on a placard for all the agency they had. Meanwhile the cast carry out all the plot points so the famous person can do the famous thing that they are famous for. It just feels like the show is missing opportunities to let the historical figures breathe.

This episode was better but it would have been nice to have Tesla correct the Doctor on some small point when they were working on the tower. He did build it so it would have made sense for him to say "No, not that way, over there." I did like that Edison realized that Yaz's plan wasn't working so he took things into his own hand. More bickering between the two would have fleshed out their world a little more.

Yaz looked good in the period clothing. Ryan looked sharp too. It was a shame that the Doc wasn't in period clothing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love that they keep Graham being a blue collar working joe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Darth Brooks posted:

The worst were the Rosa Parks and Ava Lovelace/ Noor Inayat Khan. These were people of great intelligence and will who were reduced to props. The Doctor comes in and says "I know you. You're (insert name here) You're important to history/." Then these strong willed humans might as well have been a cutout with their name below on a placard for all the agency they had. Meanwhile the cast carry out all the plot points so the famous person can do the famous thing that they are famous for. It just feels like the show is missing opportunities to let the historical figures breathe.

Hey as least nothing is quite as bad as The Unicorn and the Wasp, where the Doctor declares,"Only Agathie Christie can solve this mystery!" and then practically shoves her out of the way to solve the mystery himself instead.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The Doctor praising Tesla as "Should have been the first billionaire," was some weird bullshit, implying that she finds being a billionaire praise worthy or even interesting?

I took that as her pointing out that Tesla should have been more successful than he was, in terms her companions (and the viewers) would better understand. What I found really interesting was that they didn't completely vilify Edison while still making it clear he was a huge rear end in a top hat (I liked the little touch about how he had eaten dinner with one of his dead workers recently). They made the I think pretty relevant point that Edison was as successful as he was because he was a Capitalist first and foremost and had no qualms about taking every advantage for a success he was only able to measure in terms of dollars and cents. Still a huge rear end in a top hat though :colbert:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SiKboy posted:

I know a little bit about tesla (I teach physics), and when my first thought in the episode is "Considering he didnt move to the US until he was in his 20s, thats a hell of an accent he doesnt have...", I am very worried I am going to be unable to stop nit-picking it.

For me it was every time Edison said "patents". In the US, it's pronounced pah-tents with a short A, not pay-tents with a long A.

Other than that, I enjoyed it!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, that episode was fun as hell. Not perfect, but I enjoyed every bit of it, and really that's all I can ask for.

A little thing I really want to highlight: I like that the reason Yaz and Edison can outrun the scorpions is very visibly that the scorpions suck. They keep crashing into each other, because they're the worst at cornering, and it's funny every single time!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I know I talk about the monsters of Who a lot, but that has always been my favorite part of the show. Its weird though, the old show with no budget had super cool and interesting monsters, while new who with a modern TV budget, the monsters have just been, bad for the most part.

Honestly I think it's one of those things where the lack of budget forced them to get creative with whatever props they could get their hands on. Early Star Trek was much the same.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Hey as least nothing is quite as bad as The Unicorn and the Wasp, where the Doctor declares,"Only Agathie Christie can solve this mystery!" and then practically shoves her out of the way to solve the mystery himself instead.

Yeah, but it only makes that episode funnier tbh. Gareth Roberts has always written like a psychopath, he couldn't give a single poo poo about most of his characters. They're either there for mockery or for murder. (Craig and Sophie, weirdly, being the exception, though even they end up raising a fascist dictator).

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was bored. I felt like it was a very "meh" episode, but compared to last week's it was a step up.

I still think Spyfall p1 was Chibnall's best work so far and that was even a bit shaky.

New showrunner please!

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Tesla not played by Bowie . 0/10

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ben Soosneb posted:

Tesla not played by Bowie . 0/10

He dead

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A good episode. No classic, but good and a big improvement from last week's mess.

SiKboy posted:

I know a little bit about tesla (I teach physics), and when my first thought in the episode is "Considering he didnt move to the US until he was in his 20s, thats a hell of an accent he doesnt have...", I am very worried I am going to be unable to stop nit-picking it.

Both actor and character moved to the US from the former Yugoslavia at about the same age :shrug:

Also I thought Tesla looked familiar but I totally didn't place him as Goran Višnjić, AKA Dr Kovač from ER

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

marktheando posted:

A good episode. No classic, but good and a big improvement from last week's mess.

Not everything can be Vengeance on Varos

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Classicbritcom/status/1219198426631458817?s=20

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

CommonShore posted:

I'm sick of looking at ... quarry settings.

This, uh, may not be the show for you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

This is the most blessed picture I have ever seen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's like watching Arrow and not liking pacific northwest forests.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Voting Floater posted:

This, uh, may not be the show for you.

Featureless grey quarries offered as a dystopian setting? There was just something extra bland about that episode's quarry world.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That was a good "not doing too much" episode. It didn't try to either make a statement on society or make a pivot in the show's canon, but you can't have every episode do that. I'm pleased enough to give it three and a half stars.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had a good time watching it and hating Edison.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Hey, with a bit of practical application he could've developed Amazon/Kerblam and been a real icon.

(in other words yes this is the modern BBC, capitalism is the best)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tesla would have stopped global warming! Thanks Chibnall!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

and hating Edison.

:hfive:

gently caress Edison.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but it only makes that episode funnier tbh. Gareth Roberts has always written like a psychopath, he couldn't give a single poo poo about most of his characters. They're either there for mockery or for murder. (Craig and Sophie, weirdly, being the exception, though even they end up raising a fascist dictator).

How dare you criticise Gareth Roberts, Graham Linehan's favourite Doctor Who writer and victim of the woke SJW Stasi.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MinettaLane/status/1219348038545743879?s=20

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

How dare you criticise Gareth Roberts, Graham Linehan's favourite Doctor Who writer and victim of the woke SJW Stasi.

You're right, I see that now. Gareth Roberts has truly suffered even more than anyone who's tried reading Gareth Robert's seminal Doctor Who New Adventure, Zamper!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nice :allears:

Also I checked out the first episode of Dracula and man I don't know what happened to Moffat and Gatiss but it was pretty bad. There were some good things in there (Jonathan's vow during Dracula's version of the Devil Tempting Jesus for example) but overall it felt like an extension of the worst excesses of the tail end of Sherlock. I hear it gets worse from there which is gonna be something to see.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

happyhippy posted:

Van Gogh was OK, because his mental illness prevented him from changing his fate even knowing how much he'd be loved in the future. It was a good moral on how there's some things/people you can't fix, even with time travel (and IRL without).

But riddle me this: why the gently caress did she have to MiB flashpen Ada Lovelace and Noor Inayat Khan but not Edison and Tesla? Seeing all that stuff didn't change history or their future inventions at all?

poo poo, even Herbert was inspired to write The Time Machine after his adventure with the Doctor. :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Nice :allears:

Also I checked out the first episode of Dracula and man I don't know what happened to Moffat and Gatiss but it was pretty bad. There were some good things in there (Jonathan's vow during Dracula's version of the Devil Tempting Jesus for example) but overall it felt like an extension of the worst excesses of the tail end of Sherlock. I hear it gets worse from there which is gonna be something to see.

Ain't gonna spoil it, but if you didn't already know, there's an actor in the second episode that's gonna make you all :aaaaa: My husband and I didn't, and sat there elbowing each other on the couch making vague "gah!" noises.

It's an interesting take on Dracula with a Moffat-esque ending I did not see coming (he's generally good at that, for me). and worth a look-see, imho. If not, it's only three episodes total, you won't have wasted too much time. Then again, I tend not to watch tv with a super critical eye, though, it's "just be in the moment" time-off for my brain unless it's blatantly offensive, visually dull, boring or just plain stupid (Titans, I'm looking in your direction). So ymmv, as always.

Also, that Matthew Waterhouse tweet was :discourse:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Astroman posted:

But riddle me this: why the gently caress did she have to MiB flashpen Ada Lovelace and Noor Inayat Khan but not Edison and Tesla? Seeing all that stuff didn't change history or their future inventions at all?

poo poo, even Herbert was inspired to write The Time Machine after his adventure with the Doctor. :shrug:

I can sorta justify this in a couple of ways.

1. Tesla and Edison didn't time travel or learn anything they shouldn't know yet, while Lovelace and Khan did. They saw aliens, sure, but going by the logic that essentially 'the alien ship was always going to be there' then there's no real impact on the timeline, while the Master just deliberately came charging into Lovelace and Khan's lives to gently caress with the timeline, even if he didn't really care that he was.

2. Tesla and Edison probably weren't going to stray from their paths after this one. We see them right in the swing of their work (probably on the way down; I don't know their timeline well, but I know 'Death Ray Tesla' was late-stage), seeing that aliens are real but getting no material from them probably just means they keep going about their lives. Meanwhile Lovelace and Khan saw future technology and history, Lovelace in a very formative time in her life and Khan right in the middle of a war that was still very iffy; you can easily imagine that if their memories weren't wiped, they'd probably influence the timeline in ways the Doctor wouldn't be a fan of.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Astroman posted:

Van Gogh was OK, because his mental illness prevented him from changing his fate even knowing how much he'd be loved in the future. It was a good moral on how there's some things/people you can't fix, even with time travel (and IRL without).

I think it's probably a (somewhat) good choice. For lesser known historical figures the writers may want to have the person own their story and accomplishments, and not fall into the trap of giving a fictional wizard credit for their real accomplishments.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think it's probably a (somewhat) good choice. For lesser known historical figures the writers may want to have the person own their story and accomplishments, and not fall into the trap of giving a fictional wizard credit for their real accomplishments.

She's far from a lesser known historical figure, but one thing I really liked about Rosa was that they very specifically did nothing to inspire or egg Rosa along, they just made sure the conditions were the way they were originally supposed to be, and Rosa's decision not to move from her seat was purely her own without the benefit of any future knowledge/guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I felt like Glenister was channeling Trump when portraying Edison. Something about the way he’d make his face sit.