Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Shes shirking her supposed responsibilities and assuming other ones, not too surprising not everybody keeps up

I mean it's a mixture of that and I assume it's also just having to account for wherever you might be in the game, but dad suggested doing oddjobs all of two hours ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I played Ayesha for like 8 hours straight last night jesus

So when people talk about the time limit, is it something that's gonna actually start stressing me out if I'm not doing tons of alchemy, not messing around a lot, etc? I'm in like month 10 of year 1, just won the second contest thing, and just did the Glass Ruins for the first time

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Unless the actual ending part redeems it, Regina's storyline sucks rear end the whole thing is framed as her parents pressuring her to quit and settle down when she obviously doesn't want to and just convinces herself it's what she should do.
Maybe I'm being too hard on it but the whole "Wow Ayesha you'd make a great wife, we should get married." "Silly Regina, we're both girls." "Haha, yeah." conversation kinda soured me on the whole thing lol

Isn't her deal more that she's been helping support her family for a long time and her next sibling down the line is stepping up to let her quit the mine?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing semi-blind (only my vague memories of playing the original PS3 version for a few hours when it first came out) and with a generally decent idea of how Atelier games work I finished the main quest in something like Year 2 Month 12

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Isn't her deal more that she's been helping support her family for a long time and her next sibling down the line is stepping up to let her quit the mine?

Maybe but it's very poorly portrayed if its something she's actually supposed to want instead of being pressured into it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

I played Ayesha for like 8 hours straight last night jesus

So when people talk about the time limit, is it something that's gonna actually start stressing me out if I'm not doing tons of alchemy, not messing around a lot, etc? I'm in like month 10 of year 1, just won the second contest thing, and just did the Glass Ruins for the first time

I'd say that that's pretty reasonable progress. Theres a trio of early game events--the glass factory, Marion's request, and one that unlocks after doing those two--which opens up the game. I'd say if you do all that by like, year 2 4/1 you're on track.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, oh my gosh, E&L is what I was wanting after Sophie. I've got a nice hub town to learn to love, I go out to the field to get items and such, and the deadline here...actually helps! So far! I feel like I've got an actual challenge here, so to speak? Instead of freely going out and triggering events, here I have to make sure I get my assignments done. And working against the threat of getting fired is legit.

That said I'm glad I played Ayesha first because I'm delighted to see these returning characters and I'm so glad they're doing okay. Though it would help if Wilbell wouldn't set fires in town...

A few other notes:

- Escha pronounced as Eska? Japan.....
- Escha being a furry with her tail is the funniest thing to me. I put cat ears on her as soon as I could.
- I had to flip a coin to choose between the two protagonists, and I hope I love this game enough to replay it immediately to check out Logy's side.
- Logy using his sword as a boomerang in combat is also hilarious. Sir please get an actual boomerang. Please. You will cut your hands when it returns someday...
- Crafting one item taking an entire day is still annoying, I really preferred Sophie's system of items taking hours depending on what they were. Ah well.
- And yep, it immediately makes my brain relax to know where the time limit is and what I need to do about it. Go figure.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Sakurazuka posted:

How important is the Attaker/Defender/Support role stuff in Ryza, I just want to give people whatever armour has the best stats and not worry about that

I've beaten it and I'mma be honest: until this post I had totally forgotten that was a thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Escha pronounced as Eska? Japan.....

Her and Logy's names are derived from eschatology, the part of theology concerned with the afterlife and what happens to souls. Eschatology is pronounced like that. Incidentally, the japanese word for 'and' in this context is 'to,' so the japanese title is literally 'escha to logy'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

Her and Logy's names are derived from eschatology, the part of theology concerned with the afterlife and what happens to souls. Eschatology is pronounced like that. Incidentally, the japanese word for 'and' in this context is 'to,' so the japanese title is literally 'escha to logy'

japan! you and your wordplay!

but oh man that makes a LOT more sense, yeah, I know that word, okie-dokie. Thank you!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

Her and Logy's names are derived from eschatology

lol how did I never notice that

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

precision posted:

lol how did I never notice that

Bomus points check out the Japanese title of the game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thinking about buying the Dusk games on PC. Are there any huge problems with the port?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tamba posted:

Thinking about buying the Dusk games on PC. Are there any huge problems with the port?

Atelier Ayesha: no problems that I could tell, it ran beautifully in windowed mode. One time it did boot up and not load my controller config, but a quick close/re-open fixed that.

Atelier Escha-to-logy: there's some ugly sharpening on fonts? It's not really noticeable except in a few scenes, and it doesn't impact anything, but it's...there. Sigh. Thanks Koei. I reported it in their bug report forum but who knows if they'll patch it. Other people have complained about missing shadows and other problems, but I haven't run into them.

Atelier Shallie: no comment, haven't installed yet. Has positive reviews on steam, mostly because it's the only one in the trilogy with no timelimit. ... which is kind of frustrating, even if I complained about Ayesha I still played it and had a good time so bleh. anyways.

Conclusion: bring a controller, have a good time, LOVE the fast forward options and the run toggle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Dusk ports don't seem crashy like the Arland ports were, at least (especially Meruru)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can I get the true Rorona ending if I never bring anyone but Sterk/Cordelia/Iksel to battle? Everyone else is too weak for my taste.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Escha: oh god the game wants to be SURE I catch all events. REALLY REALLY SURE. please send help I can't go anywhere in town without these people talking at me -

(but seriously I'm loving this, this right now is my platonic ideal of an atelier game and I'm really enjoying it! finished the first assignment/free time with everything done, and the cast is charming and :D!)

e: lmao ayesha good job in becoming a wanted criminal, I'm so proud of you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

Can I get the true Rorona ending if I never bring anyone but Sterk/Cordelia/Iksel to battle? Everyone else is too weak for my taste.

What do you mean by true ending? The Rorona endings are kind of weirdly structured. There's good/normal/bad based on how popular you are and how many stars you get on Sterk's exams. For each of those, you can choose a character whose events you finished to play a special role in the ending. Certain combinations will have a lot of unique dialogue and a CG--for example, if you pick Gio with a normal or bad ending, nothing particularly special happens. But if you pick Gio with a good ending, you get the Gio ending, with a CG and everything. On Rorona Plus and DX, you can choose any ending you qualify for so you don't need to tank your popularity to get the normal/bad endings.

On top of that, there's a handful of endings with special requirements. There's one for making all the pies, one for hitting level 50 with Rorona and Cordelia and defeating the optional bosses, one for having a lot of money, and one for doing Esty's events (since she was originally a DLC character she's outside the normal character stuff). On top of that, the Astrid ending is obtained by qualifying for all of the other character endings. This is the hardest one to get so I guess it's the "true" ending?

The Astrid ending is probably possible while only bringing your favorites into battle but would be very very difficult. Qualifying for friendship endings requires, among other things, having a high friendship rating with the person in question. You gain friendship points by either doing requests for them, or by bringing them with you in your party--though you can't go past 40 just by going on adventures with them. If you really want to get everybody's events, by far the easiest way is to rotate your party so nobody who has a friendship above 40 is with you, at least until you have everybody at 40.

All that said, I really don't recommend going for the Astrid ending on your first playthrough. You'll just stress yourself out. Go for the endings for your favorite friends and leave it at that.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 21, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Too much effort. Looks like Rorona is going to be a goddess of pies.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Started Ayesha.
There are Barrels around, but I can't interact with them. Are you sure this is an Atelier game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I couldn't find a single barrel I could 'Barrel!' in Ayesha. Not a problem in Ryza though lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tamba posted:

Started Ayesha.
There are Barrels around, but I can't interact with them. Are you sure this is an Atelier game?

You can barrel! them after you finish the main quest

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I screwed up in Ayesha and since I'm using PSNow I just started up EschaLogy and I think it might be my new favorite JRPG. It's so well put together and the way it does the time limit is amazing. Plus it has a Japanese voice option. Two Assignments down.

Question: when a trait needs an element's bar to fill past a line, will that trait go away if I use skills that take points?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This is the second time in a couple of days that someone has reminded me that the original PS3 version of Ayesha did not have the Japanese language track for some god forsaken reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I really like the JP tracks, they VAs in them are so cute... I have no idea why they'd leave them out. :(

I do wish they'd translate the battle barks, but ah well.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I really like all the english voices in Ayesha, except Regina

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have no idea why barrels are so exciting but it's funny anyway

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The story I heard is that when recording began for Atelier Marie (the first Atelier), they were just messing around to loosen up or check the equipment or something and Marie's VA just shouted (the japanese for) "Barrel!" for no particular reason. They thought it was funny, so they put it into the game, and then kept putting it into the sequels

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I have found the one flaw with Escha: you can't look at friendship values. Why. This only makes me nervous about leaving people behind. Ugh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The game ends on like, a full year of downtime where your only mandatory goal is "beat the final boss". It's almost trivial to get all the friendship events in E&L

the one caveat is that Awin specifically has an early missable event. This wasn't missable originally because it occurs before you're capable of removing him from your party...unless you get the DLC and swap him out for Wilbell. So just don't swap him out too early. Waiting until you get your fourth non-DLC character should be safe

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Does it matter if they're in the front or back row? Or is it just a flat bonus to be in the party?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does it matter if they're in the front or back row? Or is it just a flat bonus to be in the party?

There's a bonus for front row. Back row gains more points than out of party as well, but everybody gains at least a few points every day no matter what.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I pick up the Dusk collection, should I just play them in order, or would any of them be a better entry for someone who's new to the Atelier series? I've heard the best things about Escha & Logy as an entry point but that was years ago and I can't remember the reason given.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

If I pick up the Dusk collection, should I just play them in order, or would any of them be a better entry for someone who's new to the Atelier series? I've heard the best things about Escha & Logy as an entry point but that was years ago and I can't remember the reason given.

Just play Ayesha first imo.

Though I'm a bit biased since Atelier Ayesha is my all time favorite video game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Just play Ayesha first imo.

Though I'm a bit biased since Atelier Ayesha is my all time favorite video game

Works for me! And I see upthread that there are recurring characters so I should probably do them in order for that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, doesn't the PSNow collection have all the DLC? Cause I've got Rufus and Threia but I can't use Wilbell

Gimme my sassy witch back :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

Wait, doesn't the PSNow collection have all the DLC? Cause I've got Rufus and Threia but I can't use Wilbell

Gimme my sassy witch back :(

Apparently a limitation of PSNow is it never has DLC

You can still do her character arc, she just won't join in battle

Fun fact: On the original PS3 version, the E&L DLC character had a bug where there was no music for their special moves. So when they're supposed to trigger a music change (when their super finishes the battle) the music just goes completely silent. I dunno if the Plus or DX versions fixed that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

Apparently a limitation of PSNow is it never has DLC

That's weird in this specific case because there's a message that says it does include it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

precision posted:

That's weird in this specific case because there's a message that says it does include it though

Hm, I dunno then. Wilbell joining is tied to advancing her story far enough so it's possible you're just a bit behind. None of it is missable though.

e: Are you able to change into the DLC costumes? If you are, then wilbell will probably show up eventually. If you aren't then the DLC is probably disabled and you should do some troubleshooting