Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Just a little clarification on the putting auras into play thing. The act of targeting in Magic is purely something that happens while something is on the stack. Nothing that happens outside of something being on the stack ever targets, and every not aura spell that targets goes to the graveyard afterwards. The closest you ever get to non auras targeting is things that trigger on cast, with a trigger that targets, like some of the Eldrazi.

Basically think of it like aura spells aren't really casting the aura ON something. They're more like casting a "mark this thing" spell, that on resolution cause an entirely unrelated aura to pop up and materialize attached to the thing you marked. The aura, once in play, has no sense of ever touching the word "target," and shouldn't be thought of as "targeting."

And you can't really do things differently without large changes to the game. If an aura being put into play should target, when should it target? Should all cards that reanimate a permanent just put the thing into play if it's not an aura, but put the card onto the stack if it is an aura? Since again, fundamentally nothing that isn't on the stack can target. Should hexproof and shroud be mechanically changed so they are "can't be targeted or attached?" That would work but also would make giving shroud to your own creature cause all auras to fall off, and also is kind of weird and inelegant to explain to someone. Basically, auras are extremely weird and bad ruleswise and WotC has said as much repeatedly before, but it's so easy to grasp what they SHOULD be doing that they haven't deleted the mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHbs9ul0Cjg

Yes Hoogland, but I want to play this. More Pod, please.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GoutPatrol posted:

Yes Hoogland, but

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dear god Golos needs to be removed from Brawl like a month ago. A full 3/4 of my games are against this stupid deck.

Edit: And most of the rest are against 5 color Niv.

Edit 2: Also maybe if they could fix Arena so it doesn't randomly crash my whole computer that would be ok

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 21, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cactrot posted:

2020 GP schedule through August is up, no Legacy but the rest of the formats seem pretty evenly distributed.

https://www.cfbevents.com/2020

Seattle being Team Limited is weird since it is the only team event.

There are dedicated areas for other formats right? I think I can make the Jersey one if it's got pioneer or Commander areas

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Clowner posted:

There are dedicated areas for other formats right? I think I can make the Jersey one if it's got pioneer or Commander areas

yea there's a big list of events here: https://my.cfbevents.com/event/102/schedule and you'll probably find a section of ppl playing casual commander games or whatever

fyi the rake is pretty high at these events, especially late on sunday when everything good is gone from the prize wall

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

GoutPatrol posted:

Whoa, I actually made it more than 15 seconds into a hoogland thing. Vannifar is an amazingly fun card, but any deck built around it surviving a turn isn’t going to be very good.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

I appreciate the sentiment. But just after listening to the explanation in the first couple minutes I’m ducking sold. I don’t even need to waste wild cards on this, only time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I actually like Hoogs just fine nowadays. Besides his tendency to up-talk I think he has a lot of fun playing cool decks.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Has anyone broken the red Yawgmoth’s Will yet for Standard?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

They should :colbert:

Agreed, but for now they don't.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Mike N Eich posted:

Has anyone broken the red Yawgmoth’s Will yet for Standard?

Not in Standard, but there's a Pioneer deck that makes use of it to combo people out with self Mill into Thassa's oracle. Todd Anderson played a lot of it earlier today

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could probably try it in the mono-blue Thassa's Oracle/Nyx Lotus/Corridor Monitor shell alongside the Escape card that self-mills for 4. Being able to replay it for only three cards instead of four gives you a ton of card selection if you have the mana, which digs you towards a Corridor Monitor or another Lotus way faster than Gadwick does. And heck, since Nyx Lotus is Legendary you can just keep replaying them from your graveyard if you have enough devotion for that to be mana-positive.

Is it worth it? Well, you'll need to squeeze some red sources into your otherwise mono-blue deck. But maybe it's worth trying?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

suicidesteve posted:

Dear god Golos needs to be removed from Brawl like a month ago. A full 3/4 of my games are against this stupid deck.
Well Wizards found more than 50% of Brawlers in the Brawlers Hall were paying gold to play awful games of magic with Golos so I'm thinking they consider that a rousing success.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Well Wizards found more than 50% of Brawlers in the Brawlers Hall were paying gold to play awful games of magic with Golos so I'm thinking they consider that a rousing success.

When brawl first came to Arena I was thinking 'Wow this format is going to be awesome, I've heard so many good things about it!" but then after playing it online I'm more like "gently caress brawl I'm never touching this poo poo rear end format" because of the decks people play in it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
lol did they fuckin' put brawl on another digital client and loving let it rot on the vine again under one clear best deck pushing all others aside

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think Golos is the best deck it's just the most popular since it's 5 color ramp good stuff.

Or maybe the wednesday queue isn't as poo poo. I've read the paid queue is utter torturous monotony but I ain't paying two drafts a month to play a format with support so dismal it launched with Oko legal and spyglass banned.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
wait is the paid queue still a thing? lol

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Jabor posted:

You could probably try it in the mono-blue Thassa's Oracle/Nyx Lotus/Corridor Monitor shell alongside the Escape card that self-mills for 4. Being able to replay it for only three cards instead of four gives you a ton of card selection if you have the mana, which digs you towards a Corridor Monitor or another Lotus way faster than Gadwick does. And heck, since Nyx Lotus is Legendary you can just keep replaying them from your graveyard if you have enough devotion for that to be mana-positive.

Is it worth it? Well, you'll need to squeeze some red sources into your otherwise mono-blue deck. But maybe it's worth trying?

Nyx Lotus enters the battlefield tapped so you're going to need Corridor Monitor, which makes the amount of cards you're escaping with quickly unreasonable

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Hellsau posted:

lol did they fuckin' put brawl on another digital client and loving let it rot on the vine again under one clear best deck pushing all others aside

From my experience it's split between people playing various good stuff multi-color decks with the commanders being Golos, Bolas, and maybe Kiora. Strangely, I didn't see much Kenrith as a commander but he pops up a lot. They limited access to when you can play it unless you pay a weeks worth of free-mium currency, but I'd rather just spend it on packs or drafts then go against some rear end in a top hat who manages to curve out into their commander on turn four and then runs away with ramp or card advantage. Fires of Invention is also pure bullshit in this format and I guarantee you every opponent will draw it perfectly on curve. The times when I won were feelbad too because it was usually just dropping a turn three Nissa or some other bomb without opponent having an answer.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Brawl was fun but I always forget about Wednesday and I'm not spending 10 packs/2 drafts to unlock the Brawl queue for a month

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

GoutPatrol posted:

Van e fear

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hellsau posted:

Golos invalidates the Commander Tax while also deck thinning and generating card advantage while also negating the need for deck building restrictions. It’s just the best Commander in the current brawl format and the only card in Standard that deals with it is banned.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 21, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Spiderdrake posted:

I ain't paying two drafts a month to play a format with support so dismal it launched with Oko legal and spyglass banned.

lol. loving what?

Haha. Can’t let people have feelbads in their shiny new planeswalker commander format, eh? Goddamn, WotC.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

Whoa, I actually made it more than 15 seconds into a hoogland thing. Vannifar is an amazingly fun card, but any deck built around it surviving a turn isn’t going to be very good.
It does seem like you have a very high chance of winning instantly if you untap with Vannifar. Maybe it's worth playing something like Crashing Drawbridge so you can get your opponent when they tap out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

AlternateNu posted:

lol. loving what?

Haha. Can’t let people have feelbads in their shiny new planeswalker commander format, eh? Goddamn, WotC.

it's banned for the same reason oko is banned, it shuts off half the decks in the format

planeswalker brawl decks are weak enough anyway that it's fine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

it's banned for the same reason oko is banned, it shuts off half the decks in the format

planeswalker brawl decks are weak enough anyway that it's fine

Spyglass doesn’t win you the game or produce an endless supply of 3/3 beaters, they’re not even remotely comparable. If your deck can’t deal with an artifact then your deck isn’t really maximizing the Singleton nature of the format.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 21, 2020

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I think the whole idea is to not shut down planeswalker commanders specifically

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thinking about it isn't Spark Double better than Deathless Knight for the Vannifar combo and probably a more useful card in general? Not that I'm going to craft them

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

If you deck can’t deal with an artifact then your deck isn’t really maximizing the Singleton nature of the format.
or you're playing black

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Attestant posted:

I think the whole idea is to not shut down planeswalker commanders specifically

it's a one-of that you still need to draw, and is gone once your opponent answers it (immediately unlocking your commander again).

in comparison, when the format launched with spyglass banned, you could play a planeswalker commander that specifically shut down creature commanders permanently, only cost 3, you had him literally every game, you could just re-cast him if he got answered, and answering him didn't actually unlock your creature commander if it'd already been shut down.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

or you're playing black

Meteor golem

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bust Rodd posted:

Meteor golem

Putting a 7 mana 3/3 in your deck to specifically remove a 2 mana spyglass is a terrible idea.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cactrot posted:

Putting a 7 mana 3/3 in your deck to specifically remove a 2 mana spyglass is a terrible idea.

I mean there are lots of artifacts in Brawl like the The Great Henge, and Embercleave

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So after re-installing Arena and blasting through a couple of Theros sealed events over the weekend, I realized that a good chunk of my Arclight Phoenix deck was still around and standard-legal. With Ox of Agonas printed, does anyone think this deck still has legs? There are still a decent chunk of Phoenix enablers around (Merfolk Secretkeeper is also pretty dang good here), but I feel like I need a transformative sideboard against graveyard hate (Crackling Drake, maybe).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

or you're playing black

target discard his rear end

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Necronomicon posted:

So after re-installing Arena and blasting through a couple of Theros sealed events over the weekend, I realized that a good chunk of my Arclight Phoenix deck was still around and standard-legal. With Ox of Agonas printed, does anyone think this deck still has legs? There are still a decent chunk of Phoenix enablers around (Merfolk Secretkeeper is also pretty dang good here), but I feel like I need a transformative sideboard against graveyard hate (Crackling Drake, maybe).

Yeah, SCG was testing out an ox pheonix deck week or so ago and it did pretty well. And yes Crackling Drake is pretty good against graveyard hate and doesn't get neutered by Escaping your sorceries.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think I went like 8-0 last night with that Mono White devotion deck and got back into Platinum for the first time in awhile

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, Brawl's a bad format but it wouldn't make it a better format to bring back a card that just shuts off entire decks unless they pull an artifact removal answer because it can just shut off any Commander built around an activated ability, including all Planeswalkers. It's the same reason they eventually let you return your Commander to the Command Zone from being tucked into the deck in EDH- it mostly punishes mediocre and fun decks that require their Commander to have a game plan while the top-tier decks usually can just tutor out of the problem the next turn or just ignore it because the Commander has usually done it's job just by coming onto the field and they're about to win the game anyways.
'
It's not just a massive feel bad but it also just makes the strong decks stronger because five-color good stuff with the mana to activate Golos is almost certainly still more likely to win a game with Golos turned off then, say, an Araya or Scions or Kenrith who suddenly lose a lot of their ability to even play their deck (or at least with Kenrith, much of their diplomatic gameplan) if they can't even count on their Commander doing anything when they bring them down. If the only way to make Golos palatable is to make it so that the opponent may as well not be playing Golos, that's a problem with Golos, not Spyglass being absent in the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Phoenix moderately functional in quick play but definitely not competitive.

When the deck just hits it’s still scary but it’s not reliable enough.