Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the catfish grew on me but i really didn't like the ongoing joke about everyone wanting to eat them because like, they're just as alive as any other race we interact with but no one really bats an eye when someone talks about how good they smell when they're on fire or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
wait wait wait wait

The guy who played Scarecrow in The Dark Knight Trilogy is Emet-Selch's voice actor?!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Most, I said, far from all. Or perhaps I notice it more due to the wordplay.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

wait wait wait wait

The guy who played Scarecrow in The Dark Knight Trilogy is Emet-Selch's voice actor?!

no

Emet-Selch's real voice actor is Rene Zagger, but google tells you it's Cillian Murphy because of a reddit post with one upvote that says they kind of look similar

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Reddit! :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Countblanc posted:

the catfish grew on me but i really didn't like the ongoing joke about everyone wanting to eat them because like, they're just as alive as any other race we interact with but no one really bats an eye when someone talks about how good they smell when they're on fire or whatever

Carnivorous predators don't care about the sapience of their prey, just that they need to eat. That's just the way the catfish cooks.

Also it's way better than that one time back in ARR when I kept seeing a linkshell advertisement for Mi'quote who wanted to eat Lalafell (it's name was 'Fancy Feast.')

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm excited to become a Dark Knight but I think I'm actually going to get Scholar caught up and main it for a while. I'm kinda tired of tanking for a bit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EponymousMrYar posted:

Carnivorous predators don't care about the sapience of their prey, just that they need to eat. That's just the way the catfish cooks.

Also it's way better than that one time back in ARR when I kept seeing a linkshell advertisement for Mi'quote who wanted to eat Lalafell (it's name was 'Fancy Feast.')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YlTeJ2BLI4

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Of all the xaela tribes to pose a potential threat to the namazu in their potential dark futures you can avert, none are more fearsome than the Mol, of all people, because of their famous catfish buuz recipe.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It would be unforgivable to murder a Namazu.

But if one were to die in say a tragic festival accident, it would surely be a waste to not partake in the delicious feast presented to you by fate.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Gruckles posted:

It would be unforgivable to murder a Namazu.

But if one were to die in say a tragic festival accident, it would surely be a waste to not partake in the delicious feast presented to you by fate.

"if"

im pretty sure they die by the dozens every week just trying to fix breakfast

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

UHD posted:

"if"

im pretty sure they die by the dozens every week just trying to fix breakfast

Buuz is indeed a delicious breakfast, yes yes.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Catfish taste terrible, I am constantly confounded that anyone would want to eat one for anything other than revenge.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the most powerful leveling DPS from the base game, and is it going to change with 5.2? Looking to start a second Job once I hit 50 and finish ARR with the Paladin.

Also, is it worth saving the post game stuff until I buy the expansion and can earn exp again?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the most powerful leveling DPS from the base game, and is it going to change with 5.2? Looking to start a second Job once I hit 50 and finish ARR with the Paladin.

Also, is it worth saving the post game stuff until I buy the expansion and can earn exp again?

The exp you miss out from doing the 2.x msq can be made up for by just sticking with your roulettes every day. Regardless of whether or not you decide to move on into the patch content, though, absolutely do the Crystal Tower raids. The exp you get for completion is paltry but they unlock Alliance Raid Roulette which, along with Leveling, is sort of the daily bread and butter roulette routine. The story also has some ramifications in the msq later, too.

But if you want to level DPS, instead of looking for "the most powerful" find the one that looks and sounds the most fun for you to play. They're all viable at endgame in the hardest content, even the classes with the lowest DPS. Similarly, in casual content--the vast majority of the content--how well geared you are, how well you do mechanics, and how well you play your class is much, much more important.

Summoner and Monk both have rather involved playstyles but reward that effort with big numbers. Ninja, post-revamp, is similar but also has some party-wide utility and you flash gangsigns to cast jutsus. Black Mage also drops the big numbers but most of the challenge is in choosing the correct spot to park yourself and your leylines at and then not moving while chanting, as a mantra, "healers adjust." Dragoon doesn't have to worry about positionals until at least Heavensward content, but also the Dragoon job questline does get a little callout in the HW msq, which shouldn't be surprising. Bards are pretty easy at the moment and has a lot of partywide utility but don't really bring the big numbers if that's what you care about.

Give them all a spin, the Palace of the Dead lets you get a very incomplete picture of what their abilities look like at higher levels but everything in there dies so fast you'll never get a full rotation off.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 21, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Groggy nard posted:

Catfish taste terrible, I am constantly confounded that anyone would want to eat one for anything other than revenge.

Well there's you're problem, you're eating it served cold

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

nice

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
At work reading about DRK and thinking I may dive into that tonight. Any good low level glamour items I should seek out?

Heavy Iron Armor and the pants are essential of course. But I know nothing of level 30-50 DRK weapons! I’ll look through the primal stuff/mog weapon/etc at 50 but I’d love something glowy and cool for the first 20 levels!

Edit: OMG I want Fang of the Fearless Cat!!

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 21, 2020

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I think I started the long weekend with 1.5m MGP but I did it!

Current goal is to get two more The Slice is Right wins for the title, then figure out what I need to sacrifice in order to get 7 more Any Way the Wind Blows wins. And of course getting more MGP items

Also decided I want to get some stuff on Mog Station:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BGrifter posted:

At work reading about DRK and thinking I may dive into that tonight. Any good low level glamour items I should seek out?

Heavy Iron Armor and the pants are essential of course. But I know nothing of level 30-50 DRK weapons! I’ll look through the primal stuff/mog weapon/etc at 50 but I’d love something glowy and cool for the first 20 levels!

Edit: OMG I want Fang of the Fearless Cat!!

Well, since the Yo-Kai event seems to be rolling around for another run, based on the anniversary stream, you are in luck, you will get a chance to grind it out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

somepartsareme posted:

no

Emet-Selch's real voice actor is Rene Zagger, but google tells you it's Cillian Murphy because of a reddit post with one upvote that says they kind of look similar

Robert Carlyle would capture Emet's ratfucker energy better in a live action performance anyway.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
About a month ago someone posted about a tool you could use to more finely tune poses in /gpose, that would let you do things like apply different races poses to a character and so on. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and remembers, could you please repost it for me? I've gone back almost a hundred pages and haven't been able to find it. :smith:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

That drat Satyr posted:

About a month ago someone posted about a tool you could use to more finely tune poses in /gpose, that would let you do things like apply different races poses to a character and so on. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and remembers, could you please repost it for me? I've gone back almost a hundred pages and haven't been able to find it. :smith:

Who would dare link directly to illegal third-party tools in this very post?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Hello, I have just started to play this video game because my diseased mind was in the mood for a MMORPG and this seems to be the one everyone is talking about at the moment. Having just started the early progression/questing reminds me of WoW, the crafting reminds me a lot of LOTRO (which is a big plus, I'm digging crafting and harvesting as being a legit, class/job, which reminds me a little of Star Wars Galaxies, one of my favourite games of this type). The job system being based on what weapon you have equipped and being able to level them all independently seems pretty cool.

That said, from what little I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much particularly new or innovative here. I was just wondering what it was about the game that has made it flavour of the month. Anything particularly I'm missing, or just wouldn't have encountered yet... or is just a case of it doing what a load of other games have done but doing it well? This is not an obnoxious passive-aggressive dig at the game, I'm enjoying it and think I'll play it for a while, I'm just legit interested what about the game has people so high on it right now.

Oh also a big plus for me is being able to play on PC and PS4 on the same sub. Being able to some grinding on a console when I'm zoned out is pretty cool. Although PS4 remote play on my phone makes this potentially dangerous.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 21, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gravy Jones posted:

Hello, I have just started to play this video game because my diseased mind was in the mood for a MMORPG and this seems to be the one everyone is talking about at the moment. Having just started the early progression/questing reminds me of WoW, the crafting reminds me a lot of LOTRO (which is a big plus, I'm digging crafting and harvesting as being a legit, class/job, which reminds me a little of Star Wars Galaxies, one of my favourite games of this type). The job system being based on what weapon you have equipped and being able to level them all independently seems pretty cool.

That said, from what little I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much particularly new or innovative here. I was just wondering what it was about the game that has made it flavour of the month. Anything particularly I'm missing, or just wouldn't have encountered yet... or is just a case of it doing what a load of other games have done but doing it well? This is not an obnoxious passive-aggressive dig at the game, I'm enjoying it and think I'll play it for a while, I'm just legit interested what about the game has people so high on it right now.

Oh also a big plus for me is being able to play on PC and PS4 on the same sub. Being able to some grinding on a console when I'm zoned out is pretty cool. Although PS4 remote play on my phone makes this potentially dangerous.

The story gets very good when you enter the first expansion and incredibly good when you enter the newest one. That's where most of the hype comes from.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

SirSamVimes posted:

The story gets very good when you enter the first expansion and incredibly good when you enter the newest one. That's where most of the hype comes from.

The main quest, story stuff reminds me a lot of LOTRO as well, again not a a bad thing. Looking forward to it.

Is the main story/quest stuff all soloable? Outside of side stuff, optional epilogues, high level loot and the like, of course... just the meat and bones of the actual story?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gravy Jones posted:

The main quest, story stuff reminds me a lot of LOTRO as well, again not a a bad thing. Looking forward to it.

Is the main story/quest stuff all soloable? Outside of side stuff, optional epilogues, high level loot and the like, of course... just the meat and bones of the actual story?

There are mandarory 4 man dungeons and 8 man trials (single boss raids with no trash) but they're all very doable with randoms from the Duty Finder.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A very random question, but does anyone remember what the Demi-Bahamut's HP situation was, back when Summoner pets even had HP? Did it have any? If it did, how much relative to other things?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cleretic posted:

A very random question, but does anyone remember what the Demi-Bahamut's HP situation was, back when Summoner pets even had HP? Did it have any? How much did it have, relative to other things?

It had no HP, period. Didn't even show up in your party list.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

SirSamVimes posted:

There are mandarory 4 man dungeons and 8 man trials (single boss raids with no trash) but they're all very doable with randoms from the Duty Finder.

Cool thanks. Still getting my head around everything and fortunately started on the same world as the EU Goon Guild so I should look at that. I thought the whole thing was going to be a bit expensive but managed to get expansions for both PS and PC for around £15 each (I already had the starters), which ain't bad. Single subscription for both platforms is what swung it for me though.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Cool thanks. Still getting my head around everything and fortunately started on the same world as the EU Goon Guild so I should look at that.

sup fellow new EU goon :unsmith:

I don’t know what level you’re at presently, but in my experience all MSQ content so far (I’m lvl38) has been easily soloable. The mandatory group stuff is mainly just waiting around until the dungeon finder pops and then facerolling whatever comes up.

A question regarding leveling gear: so far I’ve been using only quest rewards and dungeon drops. Are there any other ways to get good lower-level gear or should I be fine this way until I hit 50?

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

Gravy Jones posted:

Cool thanks. Still getting my head around everything and fortunately started on the same world as the EU Goon Guild so I should look at that. I thought the whole thing was going to be a bit expensive but managed to get expansions for both PS and PC for around £15 each (I already had the starters), which ain't bad. Single subscription for both platforms is what swung it for me though.

All the stuff that makes it so popular doesn’t really start until just before you begin the first expansion. But from then on while story can be subjective (outside of the latest expansion which everyone agrees is incredible) the game basically just keeps getting better. The music, locations and the big set pieces, raids, dungeons and fights just keep getting better and better. Like there’s some really fun and interesting poo poo in this game but the biggest problem the game has is you won’t see most of that until you go through the extremely basic and often tedious base game. The latest expansion is incredible but a lot of that comes from playing thru all the story and fights previous and having that as part of your experience.

There’s a lot of kind of interesting backstory to why the base game is how it is, mainly because of how god awful the first release was. I personally haven’t played other MMOs past maybe trying out some trials of them but i really love this game and I still struggled with most of the base game content. Hell my favourite thing about leveling all my jobs to 80 is I don’t have to do any of the content from 2.0 until the next expansion and level increase.

Edit; for gear basically just use vendor stuff until you hit 45 where your job quest will give you most of a set. At 50-60-70 your job quests will always give you a base set to wear then you use a token system to by that version of that level caps endgame gear, it’ll make more sense once you get to that point.

keirharder fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 21, 2020

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Just the Nepto Dragon left, now. And it has a double window right after I get off of work :black101:

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

That drat Satyr posted:

Going to add, for the love of God be very careful with this and don't use it anywhere near using the aesthetician. I would restart FF before using his bell just to be safe. Pretty sure there's a disclaimer in the documentation but that's one of the few times you send local data to the server and they can see that you're using the tool.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Zack Ater posted:

Just the Nepto Dragon left, now. And it has a double window right after I get off of work :black101:

Good work. Nepto Dragon is actually way easier than the other legends, so this is a lock.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Was running Eden Descent again last night and got told I was an amazing BLM...

They are going to be surprised to find out that most times I am face tanking the floor and that deathless run was just a fluke, but for a while, I felt strangely warm and happy inside.

The secret is memorizing the AOE patterns so you don't have to try to react to them in real-time. The community here can just be so wholesome.

Then there was a copied factory run where a healer got salty AF when a DPS had their pc crash and tried to get us to kick them before they managed to log back in, which took less than 3 minutes.

The First is a land of contrasts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I am extremely bad at summoner. I have not looked up and proper rotations for it and even the parts I know I keep messing up. Yet still, despite having not played it for over a year and never maining it, I keep winding up as top or second highest dps in alliance DR (which has been giving me nothing but Rabanastre lately for some reason). The same thing happened when I ran bard from 70 to 80.

Conclusion: most people are really awful at dps in this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The key is to be always pressing buttons as opposed to not pressing buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Summoner is kind of complicated to do optimally I guess but not that hard to do passably. So long as you're pushing all your buttons and keeping dots up and not sitting on stacks of anything you're probably fine.