Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Still shopping myself, but it says SOMETHING that the TRBX304 seems like everyone's second favorite bass when they can't agree on what their favorite starter is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah I keep circling around the idea of getting a CV70s Jazz, although they’re making the CV60s in daphne blue now and it looks so good. The biggest thing holding me back from getting the 60s today is that I’m pretty sure I want my next bass to have a maple board.

The blue's fine but that clash with with the tortoiseshell pickguard :barf:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh man I love the jazz body shape with the daphne blue and the tort, it’s like far out space age/midcentury kitsch to the max. Wanna play that bass in a Frank Lloyd Wright house while people shitfaced on martinis do the twist.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 19, 2020

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The GSR200 is dirt cheap and weighs less than a lot of Les Pauls. They make great little project basses. The default electronics are pretty lousy, but it's got a big cavity to swap hardware out and really play around with. A little bit of work goes a long way on them.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Ibanez' main faults in the 200-300 price range seem to revolve around issues a soldering iron can cure. And I've figured previously that if I used to do board repairs I can probably wring the Chinesium out of one.

They are drat pretty in a simple way.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Anyone know of a way to get a bridge for a bass with the string spacing of a Bronco? I'm itching to start modding. Maybe a P-bass pickup and a new pickguard. The bridge has a crappy two-saddle thing going on, and while that's OK for a fartin' around bass, I need something better to realize the dream of an Imprecision Bass. And guess what I can't find in any of the usual spots?

The string spacing at the bridge is 2.075", or thereabouts. Maybe 2 5/64ths. I think the Mustang bass uses the same string spacing, but I can't find those bridges either.

The Schaller 4-string roller is adjustable, down to 2 3/32nds, which is 2.094". That could be close enough. Any other ideas? Anyone got a line on those sweet, sweet Mustang bridges?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
You can get narrower from bridge to nut, right? Isn’t every jazz bass that way? Or at least every p-bass with a jazz neck?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Thermos H Christ posted:

You can get narrower from bridge to nut, right? Isn’t every jazz bass that way? Or at least every p-bass with a jazz neck?

I've measured my Jazz bass, and it's too wide. The short scale bass bridge is super narrow.

Since I posted this, I found a page that featured a modded Bronco that had the Schaller bridge, and it looked like it was working OK. But the price... yikes.

I'm going to make a monster out of this little cheapo thing yet. My plan is to eventually spend more on it than I spent on it. If that sounds dumb... it is. But I love the body shape. And the whole thing weighs, like, five pounds.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
There's a fine tradition of turning your guitar (or bass guitar) of choice into its own strange beast.

I mean, just look at Frankenstrat.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

As a beginner what should I be practicing and for how long? There’s so much to learn here and I don’t really know where to start.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
What kind of music made you want to take up the bass? Practice that until your fingers start to feel tired, but before they start hurting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the good things about bass is you can get by in a lot of songs with really simple playing! It takes a lot longer to get extremely good on bass than it does to get extremely good on guitar because of the size of everything and the amount of force you need on the strings by comparison, but most songs have relatively simple lines that people have built careers on. ZZ Top, for instance, has some notoriously boring basslines that are good for practice when you're a complete beginner.

Remember that no matter how much you practice scales, you'll want to play along to songs. Along with making practice a lot more fun (the biggest obstacle to learning an instrument is getting bored by rote exercises), it gets you into the groove of playing with a band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16jG3__5NgE

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

What you need is Rob Thomas feat. Carlos Suntana in "Smooth", friend.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

fat bossy gerbil posted:

As a beginner what should I be practicing and for how long? There’s so much to learn here and I don’t really know where to start.

I always big up StudyBass since it's a really nice lesson plan with a good focus on why you play stuff as well as how. It gives you some exercises and also songs that use the thing you just learned so you can put it to use!

As a beginner it's also worth spending time getting your basic technique down. That means getting used to fretting (either by running through a scale box pattern, or just doing one finger per fret like 5 6 7 8 on each string) and picking. If you're learning to play fingerstyle (recommended even if you're gonna be picking too) you need to get used to the plucking pattern you do with your fingers, and where your hand goes when you're playing each string, to keep all the others muted. That's something that becomes natural as you get used to doing it, so it's a good thing to drill

Any good left hand/right hand intro should cover this stuff, so just make it part of your practice routine (preferably with a metronome) and do 10 mins a day or more if you're cool with it. Then you can work on playing some songs you like - and if you can try to pick out the root notes and play those without looking up a tab, hell even better

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gearhead posted:

Still shopping myself, but it says SOMETHING that the TRBX304 seems like everyone's second favorite bass when they can't agree on what their favorite starter is.

BB234 is even more obscure but god does it kick rear end.

And it’s the only bass I found that’s a P-bass shape with a natural finish and PJ pickups that’s cheap. Squier just doesn’t make anything like it

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I tried to really study bass for real but then the siren call of just playing cool songs from tabs I got off the internet was too strong to resist.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hellblazer187 posted:

I tried to really study bass for real but then the siren call of just playing cool songs from tabs I got off the internet was too strong to resist.

No reason why those can’t be the same thing! :)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

fat bossy gerbil posted:

If you’re in any way music game inclined I highly recommend Rocksmith 2014. The original game has a bass “expansion” but the sequel got full bass support from day one, including every single downloadable song released for it. At about 1500 hours into that, I warm up with Hysteria, Rio, and The Trooper whenever I grab my bass off the shelf. Probably 10:1 bass:guitar playtime for me easily.

It’s a great way to get yourself into playing bass lines you wouldn’t even think of touching otherwise.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
And if you somehow manage to get tired of the massive amount of official content on Rocksmith, there's approximately 10 trillion custom dlc tracks out there.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I found Rocksmith didn't really jive well with how I learn songs (piece by piece, repeating small sections, at my own pace) so it was really frustrating at times. Plus it could be really janky with actually detecting what note I was playing.

Besides those issues, it's a good learning tool, and it'll expose you to other bass lines you'd never think of learning, like Dewgy said.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It also doesn't really work unless you have a good command of the fretboard and the notation is kind of non-standard.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there a trick to getting rocksmith working without noticeable lag between playing the note and the sound showing up in the computer? The lag was too much for me and I might be missing a setting.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I’ve got rocksmith and it’s alright but I want to know what I should be doing outside of playing the game because I know it’s not teaching me poo poo about technique or music and I don’t want to put six months into it and be able to play a bunch of songs but not really know how to play bass.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

You say that like you'll be playing the songs independently of Rocksmith in six months

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Are lessons an option for you? My teacher helps me figure out the bass line for a song, and we use that to look at the theory. It's been helpful! Plus, like Rocksmith, you'll practice more if you're learning songs you like.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chunderbucket posted:

You say that like you'll be playing the songs independently of Rocksmith in six months

It depends. You can learn the song with Rocksmith just as well as learning it with tabs, and I have. It's a matter of practice.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I kind of wish I had put the extra effort into learning to play right handed. It would be so much easier to find gear.

I'd love to go try out some basses but the stores around here usually have at most 1 lefty bass.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
does anyone play bass left handed the way hendrix plays a righty guitar left handed? seems doable

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Well, I now understand what people say about a guitar calling to you. Today I was out at one of the local music stores and stumbled across an abandoned Classic Vibe 60s P-bass that someone had put flats on and apparently never touched again. It still had the factory stickers on the back.

Strummed on it a couple of times. Put it back on the rack. Checked out another one. Came back to it. Repeated this cycle two or three more times before I realized what was going on.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

does anyone play bass left handed the way hendrix plays a righty guitar left handed? seems doable

Paul McCartney played the viola bass back in the day because it was symmetrical so he could flip it over without it looking stupid.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mononeon does this. Another one of Prince's bassists did this too, can't remember his name though. He's in the videos for Cream and Peach, from memory.

kare
Mar 19, 2002

The bass player from Tinariwen (desert blues) plays the bass (and the guitar too) like this, without even restringing. Lefty, on righty instruments strung normally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItnw3Z7WgY

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

Paul McCartney played the viola bass back in the day because it was symmetrical so he could flip it over without it looking stupid.

... IIRC, in interviews, he's stated that the main reason he used the Hofner was the price: they were not rich and famous rock stars yet, and the Fender was simply too expensive.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

I just remembered that Jimmy Haslip from Yellowjackets does this, with the strings still in right-hand orientation, and on a six-string to boot.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

can anyone recommend a bass synth pedal thats worth using that isent 400$ or is this one of those situations where its gonna be an expensive purchase nomatter what?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ASenileAnimal posted:

can anyone recommend a bass synth pedal thats worth using that isent 400$ or is this one of those situations where its gonna be an expensive purchase nomatter what?

You can find a used MarkBass Super Synth for $150+. Speaking of, I need to get one myself now that they're reasonable in price...

I had an old Boss SYB-3 that I was pretty happy with. It was glitchy from time to time... But it did what I needed it to do.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Source Audio c4. It takes a good amount of tweaking because it's got a shitload of features in a very small package. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and there are two reasons I don't have one yet:

1. Looks like I need to spend extra to get another device to let it and my HX Stomp communicate via midi

2. The new Bergantino NXT 112 cab is making me GAS real hard

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
I mostly play guitar, so apologies if this is a stupid question, but the OP is quite old by now...

The bass I use for home recording and generally goofing around is a serious piece of poo poo and I want a new one. I play mostly rock/blues/punk/metal.

Are the Squier Classic Vibes generally good instruments or are there something else in that price range I should look at?

If I get a Squier should I get a J-bass or a P-bass?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They'll both get the job done in those genres so I would suggest picking the one whose neck shape you like best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
WELL.

With that question in mind, I just found out that some people do a JPJ setup.

In other words, both single coils from a J, with a P-Bass pickup wedged in between (usually on a P Bass)

Can somebody explain why that would be a bad idea? Why is this not done more often?