Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on, today has been loving wild

that's not a quarantine message, the owners of the subreddit did it themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Dark Off posted:

the new stargur fiasco i would guess :allears:

The what now?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

shrach posted:

Question for people who still think there's some gotcha in the engine swap and Crytek have a good case relating to it.

CIG: Originally they got an exclusive licence for CryEngine from Crytek. It's exclusive to CIG, they cannot resell it.
Downloaded:
Cryengine-source3.7.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt

Amazon: They got a non-exclusive licence for CryEngine from Crytek. They can seemingly resell whatever they want and make whatever changes they want.
Downloaded:
CryEngine-source3.7.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt
CryEngine-source3.8.zip from Crytek which has Crytek headers and Crytek.licence.txt
Created:
Lumberyard-source.zip which has whatever headers and Amazon.licence.txt

CIG: Swapped from CryEngine-source3.7.zip to CryEngine-source3.7.zip which are actually identical, so there's no headers to be changed or anything to even swap.

I don't understand what anyone who thinks there's some gotcha moment in the headers or whatever, actually thinks should have happened and how there can be a gotcha? I just don't even know where an alternative to CryEngine-source3.7.zip could come from that people still think CIG should have used to swap to?
Eight months later CIG changed Crytek.licence.txt to Amazon.licence.txt which at this point, seems acceptable unless Crytek want to have a go at suing Amazon for their relicensing practices.

Brilliant summary of the issue with the information we have available.

It hinges on amazon being able to provide the 3.7 cry engine to CIG. I know that they were on hard times but having Amazon go back to the last of your old clients to pinch them from you with your own product seams like an unbelievably terrible deal.

I Inferr the redacted part where they admit they are still using cry engine 3.7 is because there lumberyard contract dosent allow them to admit they are not really using lumberyard.

I have to hand it to ortwinning. They got the demo and a cheap engine deal from crytek, without having to promote cry engine. They got discounted AWS servers from lumberyard, without using lumberyard. The only party getting what they really want is CIG. To bad their development skills don't match the legal ones.

What I still can't grasp is all the legal desk pounding when a quick phone conference with a couple of pages from the Amazon contract would have sufficed.
Like here has to be more to this than pissing up 0.5 million in legal fees when it could have been resolved in an afternoon.

I think crytek screwed up as all CIG have to do to make good is throw on a crytek splash screen and release it through the same game client. Untill they have a game and need to use AWS or lumberyard so badly they can't back out of it they have no leverage just a but a bunch of nerds dicking around with space ship models and mocap animation has no consequences to anyone.

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 21, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

Star Citizen: A Hate Crime Against Video Games

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

:lol:

Looking through Ceddit and it's a bloodbath

:smugdroid: This user has deleted their account

:ohdear:

Then strangely...

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1219288598920470529
:shrug:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The Rexshilla competition is hotting up!
https://twitter.com/RichardOnTwitch/status/1219411492916944898

Wait a minute...

:v: :homebrew:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did this just happen?

Kinda reads like a joke.

drat.
The only reliable source of information about SC on the Internet has gone down.

Guess I'll have to rely on Uncle Derek's twitter feeds now.

Can I have a titanium head like pgabz?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Where will I rub now?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Quavers posted:

Wait a minute...

This guy is a fuckin weirdo i hope this works out as i expect it will

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dogeh posted:

drat.
The only reliable source of information about SC on the Internet has gone down.

First pixelemonade and now this!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Either a) he’s a bad IT professional or b) a bad IT professional.

No way in hell a well paid IT professional would do full time streaming. Unless, well worlds crazy anyway.

Buy an Idris.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

no_recall posted:

No way in hell a well paid IT professional would do full time streaming. Unless, well worlds crazy anyway.

Buy an Idris.

That’s the guy that used to have an intermission screen showing a mostly naked underage cartoon girl right ?

Couldn’t pick a Better career mister content creator

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Love to create Content™ hours and hours of hot fresh Content™

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

OK.
Not reading Uncle Derek's feed either.
It's all impeachment, Trump this, McConnell that.

Can someone get the Bot Wagon guy to turn it back on? Ha ha joke's over.
Or has he been ousted by that Kazan and his hacking ini files?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I messaged the subreddit and the admins a while ago to see what the deal was, I haven't heard back.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So today my free roll pulled one of the rarest ship waifus from the gacha in a lovely f2p game and it's a billion times more real than any of the ships people have pay hundreds of dollars for in SC.

She also has cat ears.

That's my ship story. God bless.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

I heard that Verticles and Toejam are the new ReFUDian mods :lol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

This is all too much of a shock to me.

Of all the underhanded ways that Crytek could get revenge on CIG after the failing lawsuit, stealing the refunds reddit is a 4D chess strategy I didn't think of :laffo:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: So how the heck am I supposed to get a refund?

I've messaged the support team like 6 times since I bought the game and they've just ignored me. Not a single response in two weeks and I'm fairly sure my deadline on getting a refund is fast approaching. Pretty uncool IMO, the refund policy on their website is very clear. If they choose to simply ignore requests then I suppose consumers have no case whatsoever though.

:ohdear:

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Damnit, this means I now have to actually refer back to my own notes when getting into stupid internet slapfights with people on Reddit.

At this point I might as well just give up, it's basically the worst kind of electricity.

Godspeed Beet, may your Spectrum adventures in your new Idris be everything you dreamed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beluga Snail posted:

Godspeed Beet, may your Spectrum adventures in your new Idris be everything you dreamed.

When it finally gets released into the game in 2016, it's going to be everything I ever dreamed of.

And all I had to do was sell you all out and sign a bunch of paperwork Ortwin assured me was "standard procedure"

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

When it finally gets released into the game in 2016, it's going to be everything I ever dreamed of.

And all I had to do was sell you all out and sign a bunch of paperwork Ortwin assured me was "standard procedure"

:same:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

I heard that Verticles and Toejam are the new ReFUDian mods :lol:

If this ends up being true you all will never see another post from me again btw, I'm not gonna wear that albatross around my neck

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm sure there is a morale there somewhere.

Morale is : if you feel like a dick, buy an idris.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megalobster posted:

People tend to forget that the Yerli brothers are almost as exceptional as Croberts.

And their current walking around cash comes from the Turkish government. Skadden, Arps & Flomm are literally the template for the evil law firm.

Coutts & Co are also literally like the inspiration for Gringotts bank in Rowling.

My mirth comes from not caring about either side.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

If this ends up being true you all will never see another post from me again btw, I'm not gonna wear that albatross around my neck

You'd deprive us of not only our hate sub, but *Kayak* as well?

You monster.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Beluga Snail posted:

You'd deprive us of not only our hate sub, but *Kayak* as well?

You monster.

In fact, for scaring us all like that, you need to post a Kayak pic just to make us all feel better.

Also, I just realized, we can't get Kayak sixers any more.... :(

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Good news. A position in high school IT support opened up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sorry not sorry guys.

I killed the subreddit.

It was getting to be too much work moderating all those loving idiots with their "Star Citizen" this and "Squadron 42" that. So much so that I couldn't even enjoy the board game time I had set aside with friends yesterday.

So I decided it had a good run and needed to be put down.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

no_recall posted:

Buy an Idris.

Yeah, I wonder what that math is. I am working in IT since 20 years as well, and while I have a small YT base of 7K subs and up to 150 viewers in my streams (the 2 biggest German streamers in my game are around 200-220 for reference) , the money won’t even cover my monthly LTE Internet fee of 200 Euro.

I would need 2500 (lol) twitch prime subs and 25K views on every video weekly on YT before even considering making the switch. There is no way I would sleep well knowing my lifestyle, car, paying the rent and hobbys or even my marriage are depending on Internet donations and viewclicks for advertising placements.
And don’t you ever miss your routine. I had some health issues months ago and quit my content for 2 months. I still got my salary, 100%, because contracts.
But YouTube or twitch ? Haha, nope.
My viewrate went down 2000-2500 per video to 1000 and many unfollowed. My buddy had to pause his streaming for 2 weeks and lost 15% of his twitch subscribers. While 15% doesn’t seem much it seriously hurt him and his wallet. It is 2 weeks of lost donations and twitch bits as well.

You have to have a serious fundamental base of subs and Patreons to really walk this route.

If you are a single in a small flat and few expenses and able to cut your spending because you are playing games 12 hours per day anyway it’s nice money or at least enough and better than their dumb underpaid 9-17 day job.

Most streamers I know who quit their job to live the streaming dream are between 25 and 35 years, sometimes live in their parents house and they had salaries way below 2K per month in Germany.

TLDR:
Maybe Captain Richard had a bad paid Helpdesk job in IT because he you need at least 1500-2500 twitch subs and random donations and YouTube adsense money on top to earn what you earn in IT in my country in a „successful“ career.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 21, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dogeh posted:

In fact, for scaring us all like that, you need to post a Kayak pic just to make us all feel better.

Also, I just realized, we can't get Kayak sixers any more.... :(

I'm on mobile so I apologize if you've seen this one already

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
We can't be angry at those eyes can we?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Quavers posted:

Wait a minute...

Lol It’s always a good idea to wade into an already overcrowded market and shout “me too!”. Plus a streaming career based on a stagnant 8 year old pre-alpha in a niche genre can only go up up! Just ask Bad News Baron, things are going great for him.

I don’t know, I guess maybe if you were deluded enough to think SC will launch with a decent percentage of its promised content sometime before the heat death of the universe; you could imagine that it could bring all of the 35 and up game dads together and be a big hit someday and make you a star. Or maybe he’s just getting some of that sweet sweet Calder cash.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 21, 2020

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm on mobile so I apologize if you've seen this one already

Thanks Beet!

Iceclaw posted:

We can't be angry at those eyes can we?

:same:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.PayDay posted:

TLDR:
Maybe Captain Richard had a bad paid Helpdesk job in IT because he you need at least 1500-2500 twitch subs and random donations and YouTube adsense money on top to earn what you earn in IT in my country in a „successful“ career.

Like Rex, if he's streaming for CR, that sweet sweet Calders money is where its at.

Counterpoint though, CIG can just print JPGs for him to sell off the grey market, 500-700 dollars per sale is pretty sweet and im 100% sure there are fish in the sea for this kinda business.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Star Citizen: refunding is a hate crime

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's really simple guys, Captain Richard has rich parents. It explains so much, the failson with a successful ego.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

JackSplater posted:

The what now?

basically star citizen version of imgur. They made it when all the screenshots got mass reported by the bot that was crawling SA thread.
Obviously it didn't even last 2 weeks before it was shutdown, it was full of bad designs/security issues like letting users upload text files into it or letting users upload 16gb jpg's to it

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

A lot of streamers and youtube stars come from wealthy backgrounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Sir, you have not had "a long career in IT". I can see that by looking at you. With your definition of time it is fitting that you're playing a game designed by Senior Developers who need a permission slip signed to travel.