Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

EasilyConfused posted:

Doesn't seem like this track has enough space for safe driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBe4NBIb0-4

Fakest poo poo ever, oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Agrinja posted:

Yeah I've seen those bailers do stupid poo poo and I've always advised my coworkers to not play with that garbage, and my response to crawling into the fucker has always been "lol no". Especially when the problem is something dumb like someone forgot to put the chains down before the bailer was filled. I don't even like standing next to the wire loops you put on because I've seen them overfill those fuckers all too much and then the wire bursts.

I worked at Costco for a summer and one day the entire store went silent because we heard a bang that sounded like a meteor had struck. Turned out there was too much poo poo in the baler and it was stuck, so the geniuses in back decided to chain the corner of it to a forklift fork, lift until the whole machine was tilted, and wiggle it to dislodge the contents. The sound was the door slamming on the ground, which was also the only thing that stopped the baler from falling right over and crushing the manager who was supervising.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/wy8aH7q.gifv

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Honey, was the minivan always a convertible?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's a spectacular tie-down job.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DandyLion posted:

Honey, was the minivan always a convertible?

“Yes but just the once”

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

White van saw it coming.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Proteus Jones posted:

That's a spectacular tie-down job.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How is he still able to walk?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Fallom posted:

Here's how the firefighter conversation should've gone: "You didn't pay your $75 fee, so we'll stick you with a $10,000 bill to put out this fire." "Ok."

Done

A few years ago I had a driver lose a barrel of liquid latex in front of a fire dept in MA, they responded immediately and cleaned up the spill in the road, and the chief called me and said that they would make the cleanup charge go away if we provided new shovels to replace the ones that were ruined by the latex. I contact my safety dept and they insisted I told the fire chief that we would replace the shovels and gear if we could get the trashed gear in return (I don't know why, it was a really sketchy trucking company I worked for). When I told the chief that they wanted the old equipment in return he immediately said "gently caress you, if you don't want to work with me we're charging you $25K for an emergency response and cleanup" and hung up.

The next morning I called the FD back to see if I could resolve the situation, asking for the chief, another guy gets on the line and says "Chief had a heart attack yesterday, he'll be out for a few months." Without missing a beat I tell the guy that the chief wanted me to call to arrange shipment of the new equipment that we were going to send to them to thank them for their help cleaning up the spill. We delivered the new gear and never got charged.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/mugrimm/status/1219314471014936578

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

How is he still able to walk?

Shock can be like that. Give him thirty seconds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

Shock can be like that. Give him thirty seconds.

I think the question is, how are his legs and pelvis still functional mechanically?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It didn't actually pin his knees to the wall, only his thighs by the look of it. Also, the bumper is made of collapsible plastic, he's fine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

haveblue posted:

I think the question is, how are his legs and pelvis still functional mechanically?

Shock can impart a certain amount of the "Warner Brothers" effect.

That, and it seems that his legs & pelvis were not shattered.
Possible flail chest/duodenal rupture, though

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure it looks worse than it actually is. I can't quite tell if he shatters the window with his chin or if it hits the window frames or whatever - that looks like one of the worst things in the GIF to my eye.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Meanwhile, the state of Vermont posts this handy ice-thickness chart:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Bah, 1½ inches is enough if you're on skis or snow shoes, and 24" carries a 45 ton tank! This according to FM 31-71 "Northern Operations".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Tanks are designed from their initial WW1 concept to have low pressure under the treads, hence being able to go over mud where wheeled vehicles can't. Also how could you not trust a chart that uses Godzilla?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Meanwhile, the state of Vermont posts this handy ice-thickness chart:

Infringing on both Toho's and Disney's copyright at the same time seems like a good idea. Maybe they'll cancel each other out?

Aramis fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 21, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Aramis posted:

Infringing on both Toho's and Disney's copyright at the same seems like a good idea. Maybe they'll cancel each other out?

I am not a lawyer, but i think it might slide by under "fair use."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The deadliest Jenga.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/j2w20Ii.gifv

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wouldn't a dab of gas straightened that out?

Genuinely asking.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Wasabi the J posted:

Genuinely asking.

He didn't balance his load over the trailer's axle properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW_gzdh6to

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 21, 2020

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Genuinely asking.

No, it would make it worse. Whatever he's towing had too much weight behind the rear axle and started swinging.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brute Hole Force posted:

Mr. Landis, your moving truck is going to be late.

:drat:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

That's pretty Sikh dude.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ekuNNN posted:

and not really OSHA because being in a fascist militia isn't really a job, but still:

jfc he is almost certainly doing this to protect the annodized finish on the aluminium cosplay accessories

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

When your costco reward check comes in

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm pretty sure it looks worse than it actually is. I can't quite tell if he shatters the window with his chin or if it hits the window frames or whatever - that looks like one of the worst things in the GIF to my eye.

i think the window was actually broken by something inside the vehicle which shifted into it when the car came to a rapid stop. In fact i don't think the car really impacted the guy at all, if you focus on the wheels you can see they lock up as the breaks go on

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hhahhaa bruh you cant leave those things out in the sun!!! smdh

one weird trick >.<

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's some rolling shutter alright.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Platystemon posted:

Step one on the transition to jet engines.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/november/pilot/singular-sensation

quote:

As Jones later recalled, things didn’t go well at first: “As soon as the engine was started, the plane began to vibrate; and by the time the throttle was halfway open, some of the cowling had been completely vibrated off the plane, and the front of the engine had a definite drooping appearance.”

Everts made some design changes, and on January 25, 1937, Jones gently lifted his Cub into the air to complete the first flight with a single-blade propeller. Soon after, he took off on a coast-to-coast publicity tour in a 145-horsepower Cessna Airmaster outfitted with a one-blade Everel. En route, he’d pull stunts such as calling the control tower on approach, saying he was coming in with only one blade on his propeller.

“Oh, my God!” the startled controller would exclaim. With emergency vehicles and a crowd gathered to witness the unfolding disaster, Jones would execute a perfect three-point landing, taxi up, shut down, and climb out with a shrug.

quote:

“As compared to the two-bladed propeller, it only kills half as many bugs,” Kropp said. “So, if your objective is to kill bugs, it’s a failure.”
:stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DandyLion posted:

Step one on the transition to jet engines.

It’s actually step one on the transition to constant‐speed propellers.

This thing is able to change pitch to “bite” the air more or less aggressively.

Because it has one blade, it can twist along the long axis of the blade to change pitch. All it needs is a pivot at the hub. The harder the blade smacks the air, the more it twists. Making a shallower angle means it smacks less air on each pass. Centrifugal action applies the restoring force. It’s a self‐regulating system.

Multibladed propellers have to have complicated mechanisms to twist (and secure) each blade separately, using oil pressure or electric power.

It didn’t actually work that well in practice, but it was a clever idea.

Information here

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

It’s actually step one on the transition to constant‐speed propellers.

This thing is able to change pitch to “bite” the air more or less aggressively.

Because it has one blade, it can twist along the long axis of the blade to change pitch. All it needs is a springy pivot at the hub.

Multibladed propellers have to have complicated mechanisms to twist (and secure) each blade separately.

It didn’t actually work that well in practice, but it was a clever idea.
You should post it in the Aviation Megathread for more :stare: