Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Yeah, it obviously is easier to create time consuming content and streams when you don’t have the 50-60+ hours weekly in a full time job (not only the job but traveling time and all parts of the day that are bound because of it) that are locked to pay the bills and rent but your parents who do.

An Idris monthly streamdonation goal sounds amazing tho. Let your viewers pay for your jpegs.
World of Warcraft has viewer loot challenges in streams, everyone plays with and against the streamer, live.

It would be hilarious to find SC stream events like this with the asterisk „max 50-60 players because of server limits“ lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fartbox posted:

A lot of streamers and youtube stars come from wealthy backgrounds

As do politicians, movie stars and entrepreneurs. That's why it's almost funny Donald Trump is president, he's a classic failson who fails upwards all the time.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Fartbox posted:

A lot of streamers and youtube stars come from wealthy backgrounds

Didn' t this guy mention he comes from an oil industry background? Presume he has got enough savings maybe for an early retirement, topped up with streaming income, as sucky as it may be?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I just can't fathom people who stream for a living. Even if you love video games that much, doing it as a job seems like hell. What if you stop liking them? What if Twitch shuts down? What if the world moves on? What then?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I just can't fathom people who stream for a living. Even if you love video games that much, doing it as a job seems like hell. What if you stop liking them? What if Twitch shuts down? What if the world moves on? What then?

pandering to the type of people that watch streams would drive me to suicide.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Inacio posted:

pandering to the type of people that watch streams would drive me to suicide.

Imagine them in their underwear

NO, wait, DON'T!!!!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Ok, I've figured it out. The best space court conclusion...

Amazon claim breach of contract because CIG still aren't using Lumberyard. CIG make amends with Crytek, and give them a slice of future earnings. Cryengine splashes return to the screen.

SQ42 bombs.

Everything is beautiful!

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

AceOfFlames posted:

I've wondered this as well. Also I've learned that if you do your hobby as a career, you have to grind it out even when you don't want to — because it's work now — which takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it. I came to resent acting and writing because making a "career" at something you love can can make you come to resent it.

The saying "find a job doing something you love and you'll never work a day in your life" is bullshit. What it should be is "find a job doing something you love and you will always be on the clock."

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

DrJlaw posted:

I spent $35 on it in the initial post-Kickstarter campaign. Maybe I'll get a game out of it, but certainly they're getting no more money from me before a release. I spent $50 on Elite Dangerous a year later and actually got a game, even.

elite dangerous is a game? when did that happen? hell I've played the thing and I can't call it anything more than a grind engine strapped to the back of a pretty face

edit: okay downvoters indulge me,

what sense of reward do you get from Elite Dangerous (hereafter reffered to as ED for the sake of brevity) for grinding so long and hard?

regular combat, pays so little yet you risk everything for it, thargoid combat huuge upfront grind on the order of over 40 hours to get into it. pvp no official medium (that i know of) and again pays peanuts

but cargo/mining (they're both selling stuff strategically, the only difference is the source of the stuff) and exploration fishbait cargo/mining and exploration! there again grind, exploration pays dividends but there no risk neutron stars dont buffet you around too much if your not stupid enough to dive right into the center of the spinny death ball, and fuel scoops and the route planner mean you never run out of fuel either so no risk of death no risk of stranding, and ive not once encountered any aliens between the bubble and colonia so no risk of being suddenly blown up or shot, so we have a grand total of 0 risk in exploration

and cargo can be lucrative but it a, requires upfront money that you would get via grind, and b is no fun its only flying from point to point

and mining yes void opal, and deep core/sub surface mining is fun and engaging but its pay is only okay and frontier seem to want to quash it a fair bit recently (reading between the lines of recent youtube videos about ED patch notes) and even it wasn't as profitable as sitting there pissing lasers at an asteroid and firing limpets mining painite LIKE A DAMNED BOT!

and passenger missions, just fly round to the various points your guests request never in any more danger than cargo running sitll doesnt pay much

ooh and rescue, well you've got me there that one was actually tense and engaging although they still goofed it up by giving us freaking fines, for having the gall to be blown off course directly over another landing pad and not immediately teleport away from it.

and thanks to the way things are balanced unless your a true masochist engineering is all but a requirement which means [sarcasm] YAY MORE GRINDING! [/sarcasm] and thanks to frontiers lack of foresight you cant just buy the mats no you have to grind by finding a site and driving around shooting the same boxes then logging out then back in and repeating until full multiples AGAIN LIKE A FREAKING BOT!

the guardian ruins are the only time frontier moved remotely in an engaging direction ala ancient ruin puzzles, but even then your still looking at repeating them for 40+ hours until your loong past sick of them if you want to unlock all the guardian tech because frontier had to make you UNLOCK EACH AND EVERY PIECE OF GUARDIAN TECH INDIVIDUALLY RIGHT DOWN TO SEPARATING EACH SIZE OF FIXED, GIMBALLED AND TURRETED WEAPON INTO SEPARATE UNLOCKS! 1e fixed thats an unlock 1e gimballed thats another unlock 1e turreted thats another unlock 2e fixed thats another unlock and on and on oh you want another kind of weapon woops better start all over again.

and then theres rare commodities yes lets make you fly all over the galaxy multiple times to complete one step in unlocking one engineer, thankfully not every engineer does that.

and frontiers newest thing? big carriers that never disappear can have only one per instance and cant actually be piloted so basically your buying a space station that you can every once in awhile move somewhere else. in net effect no more than a guild/organization/group/yougettheidea/etc wide landing pad
that has some services that you will probably have to grind up raw mats for.

please downvoters indulge me by explaining how frontier has at all tried to make this anything other than a grind engine strapped to the back of a pretty face you play dress up with.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 21, 2020

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ED is a game, because they released a game that could've been publicly criticized and has release date, if we want to be technical. Check Wiki or Metacritic.

As for the rest of your rant - fun or reward are subjective. What sense of reward aside of "I am good at it" and "I have bigger numbers" do you get from running TTD for thousand hours, from running thousands of hours of Japanese RPGs (way too long after you've beaten the story), from flying around in MS FS?

None. And yet people still do that, because they enjoy it.

I like flying around in Elite (with passengers, killing NPC, laser mining or simply just flying) not for the reward, but for the flying itself. Flying is the reward, not any payment or rank.

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 21, 2020

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Space games with 'slow burn' game mechanics are clearly of no interest to you. It's a game because it has the coveted status of "released" and pretty much everything in it works as it should without sending the pc crashing to it's desktop at every chance it gets.

ED does what every 'Elite' game since the very first which was released in 1984, and it does those things very well for the most part, it was always going to be slow and grindy as that it the whole point of Elite. Your argument is almost purely based upon 'It takes ages to make money/unlock items!' which is probably the dumbest and most pointless complaint you could possibly have for ED, it's not a fast paced game and it's not an arcade game with a highscore board.

I can't comment on the engineers stuff because I've never bothered with them despite apparently having a bunch of them unlocked.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
E:D is a game that you can play much longer than you should, but that doesn't make it bad or not a game. It's a shame Frontier took it in the direction of endless grinding rather than catering to sane people who would prefer to come back for short bursts of new content, but it's still an incredibly fun experience for a very reasonable length of time.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
You guys are arguing with a reddit quote. The "okay downvoters" didn't give it away?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Xakura posted:

You guys are arguing with a reddit quote. The "okay downvoters" didn't give it away?

Don't ruin it I was enjoying the sincere responses!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xakura posted:

Haha, i got it, but putting it in a quote would have helped others.

I do find it funny how some SC backers go on rants against ED as though it has any bearing on SC.

The only difference is ED is released and open to criticism while CIG and backers use SC's alpha state as a shield to being criticised.

Therefore the only solution is for SC to never release.

Also, i touched on this in a comment elsewhere when someone was talking about the grind in ED. People don't feel the grind that will be in SC yet because of the wipes and how its a waste of time trying to earn anything yet. Once it releases (or stop the wipes) then the cries about the grind will come, especially if CIG ever get round to implmeneting some of their more insane ideas, like manual loading and unloading of cargo.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Agony Aunt posted:

Also, i touched on this in a comment elsewhere when someone was talking about the grind in ED. People don't feel the grind that will be in SC yet because of the wipes and how its a waste of time trying to earn anything yet. Once it releases (or stop the wipes) then the cries about the grind will come, especially if CIG ever get round to implmeneting some of their more insane ideas, like manual loading and unloading of cargo.

There's no grind in SC cause you can pay money to get what you want.

There's no pay to win in SC because you can grind out what you want.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Xakura posted:

My excuse is that I've been awake all night working, so basically tiredness and fatigue has thrown off my 'reddit quote' compass. :)

Everyone has a 'stupid day' or 10, today is mine, don't take it from me fudster :argh:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

If this ends up being true you all will never see another post from me again btw, I'm not gonna wear that albatross around my neck

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SoftNum posted:

There's no grind in SC cause you can pay money to get what you want.

There's no pay to win in SC because you can grind out what you want.

There's no SC

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet needs a hug from Kayak :(

Seriously those guys all have mental health issues, the best is to just get as far away from those people as possible, it is well beyond touching the poo at this point.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I can see the edited pixels. Do better, you've got it in you!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sum Mors posted:

[url=https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/crytek-cloud-imperium-battle-over-how-to-end-star-citizen-lawsuit/]

elite dangerous is a game? when did that happen? hell I've played the thing and I can't call it anything more than a grind engine strapped to the back of a pretty face

edit: okay downvoters indulge me,

what sense of reward do you get from Elite Dangerous (hereafter reffered to as ED for the sake of brevity) for grinding so long and hard?

regular combat, pays so little yet you risk everything for it, thargoid combat huuge upfront grind on the order of over 40 hours to get into it. pvp no official medium (that i know of) and again pays peanuts

but cargo/mining (they're both selling stuff strategically, the only difference is the source of the stuff) and exploration fishbait cargo/mining and exploration! there again grind, exploration pays dividends but there no risk neutron stars dont buffet you around too much if your not stupid enough to dive right into the center of the spinny death ball, and fuel scoops and the route planner mean you never run out of fuel either so no risk of death no risk of stranding, and ive not once encountered any aliens between the bubble and colonia so no risk of being suddenly blown up or shot, so we have a grand total of 0 risk in exploration

and cargo can be lucrative but it a, requires upfront money that you would get via grind, and b is no fun its only flying from point to point

and mining yes void opal, and deep core/sub surface mining is fun and engaging but its pay is only okay and frontier seem to want to quash it a fair bit recently (reading between the lines of recent youtube videos about ED patch notes) and even it wasn't as profitable as sitting there pissing lasers at an asteroid and firing limpets mining painite LIKE A DAMNED BOT!

and passenger missions, just fly round to the various points your guests request never in any more danger than cargo running sitll doesnt pay much

ooh and rescue, well you've got me there that one was actually tense and engaging although they still goofed it up by giving us freaking fines, for having the gall to be blown off course directly over another landing pad and not immediately teleport away from it.

and thanks to the way things are balanced unless your a true masochist engineering is all but a requirement which means [sarcasm] YAY MORE GRINDING! [/sarcasm] and thanks to frontiers lack of foresight you cant just buy the mats no you have to grind by finding a site and driving around shooting the same boxes then logging out then back in and repeating until full multiples AGAIN LIKE A FREAKING BOT!

the guardian ruins are the only time frontier moved remotely in an engaging direction ala ancient ruin puzzles, but even then your still looking at repeating them for 40+ hours until your loong past sick of them if you want to unlock all the guardian tech because frontier had to make you UNLOCK EACH AND EVERY PIECE OF GUARDIAN TECH INDIVIDUALLY RIGHT DOWN TO SEPARATING EACH SIZE OF FIXED, GIMBALLED AND TURRETED WEAPON INTO SEPARATE UNLOCKS! 1e fixed thats an unlock 1e gimballed thats another unlock 1e turreted thats another unlock 2e fixed thats another unlock and on and on oh you want another kind of weapon woops better start all over again.

and then theres rare commodities yes lets make you fly all over the galaxy multiple times to complete one step in unlocking one engineer, thankfully not every engineer does that.

and frontiers newest thing? big carriers that never disappear can have only one per instance and cant actually be piloted so basically your buying a space station that you can every once in awhile move somewhere else. in net effect no more than a guild/organization/group/yougettheidea/etc wide landing pad
that has some services that you will probably have to grind up raw mats for.

please downvoters indulge me by explaining how frontier has at all tried to make this anything other than a grind engine strapped to the back of a pretty face you play dress up with.

Is that a reddit meltdown? Yes, yes it is a meltdown! Nice meltdown.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Quavers posted:

The Rexshilla competition is hotting up!
https://twitter.com/RichardOnTwitch/status/1219411492916944898

Wait a minute...

:v: :homebrew:

I'm dying to know what his benefits and retirement package include with such a career windfall decision.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Stop telling new players to upgrade their ship before they have even played the game...
I’m seeing an influx of people on this subreddit who are recommending that new players should upgrade their ships before even playing the game.
Usually these new players come here for advice and giving people a false pretence that the problems / bugs they are having is due to the ship they are flying is seriously ignorant.
Point new players to ‘starter guides’ and workarounds for the current patches bugs instead... that will actually be of use to them.
Yes upgrading your ship is obviously better but this decision should be made after, you know, actually seeing if you like the game first...
Giving new players the impression they HAVE to spend more money is about as scummy as all the bad practices followed by the cancerous money grabbing gaming companies in this industry that you claim to hate, and you should feel bad.

255 comments :kingsley:

Edit: best reply

:argh: You again...
gently caress off. People are sick of having new players complaining about the lovely starter ship experience, and are recommending that they upgrade to a ship that will not only give them a better experience, but be far more useful in the long run.
My God you are holier than thou windbag.

People should stop complaining to CI!G about the broken starter ships, and pay more money to get working ships :homebrew:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 21, 2020

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
wtf happened to /r/starcitizen_refunds?!
edit: it is a joke right? RIGHT?

Nellistos fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 21, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol it's funny that they removed that. but also please don't post reddit screenshots here.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

lol it's funny that they removed that. but also please don't post reddit screenshots here.

You trying to put Miribot out of a job? What kind of fascist toilet bowl nonsense is that?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

You trying to put Miribot out of a job? What kind of fascist toilet bowl nonsense is that?

Thems the rules now, on account of a handful of people decided to go way too hard on a reddit dumb-dumb and ruin our ability to have nice things.

But then again I'm not a mod any more so idk.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Thems the rules now, on account of a handful of people decided to go way too hard on a reddit dumb-dumb and ruin our ability to have nice things.

But then again I'm not a mod any more so idk.

Whaaaaaat? Whoever came up with that spineless poo poo as a set of rules has got to be a long term backer.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

Whaaaaaat? Whoever came up with that spineless poo poo as a set of rules has got to be a long term backer.

Well I mean yeah I backed in 2013 so you could say things are getting pretty serious.

monkeytek posted:

Beet needs a hug from Kayak :(

Seriously those guys all have mental health issues, the best is to just get as far away from those people as possible, it is well beyond touching the poo at this point.

Yeah I hosed up and engaged after a bunch of them found my twitter. It was a dumb decision.

e: but it happened on reddit using a reddit account, so we can leave it there imo.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 21, 2020

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Well I mean yeah I backed in 2013 so you could say things are getting pretty serious.

Yeah I hosed up and engaged after a bunch of them found my twitter. It was a dumb decision.

Those idiots stop being a menace the moment you turn off your monitor.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Quavers posted:

Stop telling new players to upgrade their ship before they have even played the game.

Levels of irony I cant even

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nice meltdown Beet.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DapperDon posted:

I'm dying to know what his benefits and retirement package include with such a career windfall decision.

I believe it is he gets to spend more time with his waifu pillow.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Agony Aunt posted:

Nice meltdown Beet.

Thank you. FWIW I stand by calling the "SA's forums aren't indexed so they can hide their secret threads full of crimes" dude the dumbest guy I've ever talked to lol.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

DapperDon posted:

Those idiots stop being a menace the moment you turn off your monitor.

Until one of those fuckbois find out a piece of personal info and show up at your doorstep one day.

Had it happen to two friends, gently caress that noise, the crazies can stay in their little make believe "I'm the superhero, ultimate stud" universe.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

Thank you. FWIW I stand by calling the "SA's forums aren't indexed so they can hide their secret threads full of crimes" dude the dumbest guy I've ever talked to lol.

They are the people P.T. Barnum loved oh so much.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

monkeytek posted:

Until one of those fuckbois find out a piece of personal info and show up at your doorstep one day.

Had it happen to two friends, gently caress that noise, the crazies can stay in their little make believe "I'm the superhero, ultimate stud" universe.

I refuse to live in fear of anyone. Least of all that tribe of extra chromosomes.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

He never stops topping his level of insanity. The best part is watching his latest and greatest tinfoil hattery crumble under even a casual glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

I'm pretty sure even the citizens who care enough to still be mad at me online don't care enough to come knock on my door. Truth be told I just kinda kept followed the slapfight back upstream after it left twitter cause I was bored and avoiding work.