Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goonzeki Tags are queued up for those I saw who asked for them. Waiting on admins or whoever to do them. Hopefully it doesnt kill the other tags we have (eg Pro Posting)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

If you're seeing it in the top division it means that person rose through the rest of the ranks very fast

Ichinojo in particular rocketed up the ranks. I think part of what makes him so frustrating is that when he’s on, he can look like an unstoppable monster, but all too often, it looks like he’s just seeing how lazy he can be while coasting to a 8-7. Dude got to skip the lower divisions since he was an amateur champ, but he still crushed everyone on the way up, starting his first tournament in January and ending the year as Sekiwake.

My least favourite fatty was Gagamaru. At least even fat Ichinojo could get some wins. Gagamaru couldn’t even use his bulk to survive outside the lowest makuichinojo ranks.

Also, is it too late to ask to be made goonzeki?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For crying out loud, Tsurugisho, just withdraw. Please, do it for your future left knee.

Edit:
Pretty stoked, I’m trying to arrange a sumo night in March at a bar I’m a regular at. They’re able to stream twitch onto the TVs there, and seem open to the idea. I figure if I can get them to hold the event on the mid-tournament day or the final day, there will at least be the English language NHK World graphics package so people won’t be entirely confused.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 21, 2020

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

New gang tags are looking sweet :D

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
salt bae did the happiest and most enthusiastic envelope collecting i've ever seen tonight which made me very happy. shodai fought like he sold his soul to become unbeatable. he ain't going to be letting no m17 take the lead

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fisting by many posted:

New gang tags are looking sweet :D

I'm on my phone using Awful App. Did they remove thenold tags or are they stacked?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Stacked. 😄

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My favorite thing about Chiyomaru is that he's a huge goofball, especially on the jungyo tour. He has a running bit that he used to post on Instagram (idk if he's still allowed to after the social media mini-scandal a couple months ago) where he'd find a wrestler who was taking a nap, and then shake their shoulder to wake them up and say "Hey hey hey! You look tired, you should get some rest while you can." It was funny every single time.

Sorry for the late results, busy day today!

Day 9 standings

code:
Bentai		28
bessantj	22
fisting by many	25.5
Kenning		27
Marching Powder	21
Martytoof	26
Mekchu		22.5
ratmosphere	26
Rigel		26
Robviously	31
Scythe		23
sivad		23
Spokes		23
Thauros		22

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:argh: Still 3 points shy!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

GOIEDO :frogout:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Think Robviously is cheating. Can be the only explanation I'm not in first.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

PREDICTION: Tokushoryu will lose tomorrow, so will Shodai

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut posted:

GOIEDO :frogout:

he just forgot how to sumo altogether

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Today might have been the grumpiest I've seen Aoiyama act.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Marching Powder posted:

I am still so hyped from yesterday's big result. This basho has been great even without the yoko's.

Big thanks to Elissimpark for the avatar inspiration and Mekchu those gang tags are literal art and I want to be yokogoona so bad one day

Gah, I was going to dig up some more options for you! Sorry, life got in the way.

Still, that text is fantastic!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Awwwwww...

Hattorizakura is 0-5.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

My least favourite fatty was Gagamaru. At least even fat Ichinojo could get some wins. Gagamaru couldn’t even use his bulk to survive outside the lowest makuichinojo ranks.

I never understood how he could be so big, yet be so freaking weak. People pushed him around like one of those giant balls.

Ikioi was one of my favorites til he started falling off. I do like shodai now because dude looks like a concerned baby.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Awwwwww...

Hattorizakura is 0-5.

But Ura is 5-0. There are five people in Jonidan who are 5-0 if they all end on 7-0 Sunday will be a busy day for play offs. Can't wait.

<-- sweet tag!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

But Ura is 5-0. There are five people in Jonidan who are 5-0 if they all end on 7-0 Sunday will be a busy day for play offs. Can't wait.

<-- sweet tag!
Unfortunately they set up the lower division matchups based on same same record rather than close in ranking so they'll have the 5-0s face off and eliminate each other as much as possible.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Unfortunately they set up the lower division matchups based on same same record rather than close in ranking so they'll have the 5-0s face off and eliminate each other as much as possible.

Ah, that seems sensible.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

sivad posted:

Goeido is a bum, and I've irrationally hated him since he henka'd Tochinoshin in early 2018.

Same. The Enho match was still a little painful to watch. Goeido clearly doesn't have his head in the game.

quote:

Also down for a gangtag.

Also same. I don't post often but I've been following the thread for a couple of years at this point.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

pseudodragon posted:

This does also happen in the top division towards the end of the tournament if someone is doing extremely well at a lower rank. If Tokushoryu is still level on Thursday/Friday they'll probably schedule him to fight Shodai before Sunday.

Basically they're going to want to avoid the lowest ranked guy winning the whole thing if they can. You'll often end up with a guy getting wrecked in the meatgrinder and demoted way lower than his true ability in the next tournament racking up a good score, so they give themselves the freedom to have them fight one or two guys further up to make or break them.

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 21, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

They're already moving him up a little bit, so far the highest he's fought is both M12s, but today he has M8e Aoiyama.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Let’s play a dumb game. Where does Takayasu rank after this basho?

I’m saying M8-9 and being optimistic.

M9 just to nail down a number I guess.

Yes yes factors etc.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Martytoof posted:

M9 just to nail down a number I guess.

Yes yes factors etc.

I don't think there's enough people moving up to knock him down that far (unless he goes kyujo and I haven't heard about it). Tochi went 2-3-10 and only fell to M6. Takayasu *might* fall that far if enough things go against him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Well he's 4-6 so the worst he can finish is 4-11:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=S&form1_wins=4&form1_losses=11

Based on this chart, M6 seems to be the lowest he could go down to, but M5 or better is much more likely.

He could still finish 8-7 or whatever and stay at Sekiwake, lets see if he can give Goeido loss #8 today.

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 22, 2020

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My fandom is clearly not doing Kotoeko any good. Sorry, bro.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seeing the tags on the full site. Yeah they look awesome. Thank you everyone for liking them so much.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

anakha posted:

Today might have been the grumpiest I've seen Aoiyama act.

Not usually an Aoiyama fan but I enjoyed the theatrics. Good bout too. Takanoyama and Asashoryu highlights got me following this sport years go but I've always pulled for Tochinoshin, especially when he juiced to the gills in 2018. I check in on Hattorizakura occasionally if only because I'm certain I could crush him. He managed one win in 2018 (just look at that tachi-ai)and another in 2019 (with real sumo even). Can he keep his streak alive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dmZD_9fPg
Somehow I doubt it.

If the Goonzeki tag is still up I'd like in, it owns and anything to proselytize this silly sport is good. I had been meaning to join the game but then it seemed everyone I was familiar with finally bounced to juryo. It's fun to follow along anyway and new man-mountains are long overdue.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Great set of bouts today! Aoiyama v. Terutsuoyoshi ruled, Shodai v. Shohozan was awesome. Even with all the injuries and kyujo this is shaping up to be a really exciting basho.

First round of kachi-koshi have come in! Things are gonna be all over the place from now until the final Sunday.

Day 10 standings

code:
Bentai		32
bessantj	28
fisting by many	29.5
Kenning		34
Marching Powder	24
Martytoof	31
Mekchu		26.5
ratmosphere	30
Rigel		28
Robviously	36
Scythe		28
sivad		26
Spokes		27
Thauros		27

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

sivad posted:

Also down for a gangtag.

Hoping I didn't miss the boat!

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

sivad posted:

Hoping I didn't miss the boat!

Oh yeah, I'd love a gang tag if they're still in the offing. Curse my slowness.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those still new to sumo, you might wanna check out Furious Pete's video of his experiences in a heya. Okinoumi features in it, I believe.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meatlong Football posted:

Not usually an Aoiyama fan but I enjoyed the theatrics. Good bout too. Takanoyama and Asashoryu highlights got me following this sport years go but I've always pulled for Tochinoshin, especially when he juiced to the gills in 2018. I check in on Hattorizakura occasionally if only because I'm certain I could crush him. He managed one win in 2018 (just look at that tachi-ai)and another in 2019 (with real sumo even). Can he keep his streak alive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dmZD_9fPg
Somehow I doubt it.

If the Goonzeki tag is still up I'd like in, it owns and anything to proselytize this silly sport is good. I had been meaning to join the game but then it seemed everyone I was familiar with finally bounced to juryo. It's fun to follow along anyway and new man-mountains are long overdue.

PM Jerusalem, the PSP/RR mod.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Wakaichiro is 4-1 going in to day 11, here's today's bout:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FriendlyEasyAsteriskPupper

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Those who missed out on gangtags, send me a PM, once I've queued up the next lot that is it though and you'll need to purchase it if you want one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'd like one please. I don't have pm

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kenning posted:

Day 10 standings
Tumbling down the leaderboard like week 2 Endo. :(

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Terunofuji is still looking strong, still undefeated at 11-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I cannot wait to see the kaiju back up in makuuchi.