Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Yeah I came back with syndicate after stopping before crimson curse and it wasn't hard to pick it back up. I even made pro rank for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm actually quite enjoying this game. Quite a different feel from other CCGs. I've been bouncing between this and Eternal and they both seem to scratch a different itch.

One thing I don't enjoy is how long matches seem to take. Maybe its because I'm still at noob tier. But any tips on speeding up matches would be much appreciated.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Gwent is back and in good shape with many balance changes since the post mid-winter disaster period. I'm finding the meta much more diverse than what's in MTGA at the moment and there's a new infusion of players from the iOS release. If you've abandoned it but are sitting on tons of scrap it's a a good time to check it out again.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I must say that I'm positively surprised by Gwent.

I mean, I knew the Witcher version and I didn't play the initially released standalone, so I may not have the full experience ... but overall the game in it's current shape seems solid for me? And if not because I'm a scrub and know nothing, the game is definitely entertaining.

The whole no mana, no life points design + a bit of bluffing are making this a unique enough thing to try. I may not have a lot experience with other TCG's (just Hearthstone, MTGA, Eternal and Calculords on Android :D) but I don't remember the last time I had this much fun.

Definitely worth trying, the F2P aspect seems really generous overall.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The game is a blast and it's extremely generous. The new edition had growing pains, which is why this thread stagnated, but Gwent is in a good place now in my eyes.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I'm not sure how up to date the OP or title is? Worth updating those?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I feel like it's worth a new thread at this point, OP is badly out of date on factions, rules, mechanics, format, etc. No mention of Thronebreaker (which you should get because it's good). Someone who is up to date on the game should create a new OP and get this one locked.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did Thronebreaker ever get that hard-patch that was drummed up after the complaints at release?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I really liked Gwent in it's original incarnation, before the initial relaunch. What's it like now then? More like that again?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's uh... Different. That's my take after playing it again for 2 days after not having touched it for god knows how long.

Roach is the only thing that still works even vaguely how I remember it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Does anyone have any conten creators to recommend for this game, especially any that do a good job of explaining concepts, in-game decisions, etc?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Oh poo poo it’s on IOS? I’m back in :slick: I preferred the original as well but if it’s portable I can gently caress with it and figure it out

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-12-04-cd-projekt-discontinuing-support-for-witcher-card-game-gwent-on-consoles

In case any of you played on console, are currently on hiatus, and might play again some day. Transfer your account.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Holy crap, I just tried it again in... a year? It feels super different from before, but I can't exactly explain how, since it's been a while. However, the onboarding has been pretty smooth, that experience was nicely guided and I didn't feel too lost in the process.

Aug 2, 2000

The new expansion is fun. I made a Skellige deck that shits out tons of druids and crows. The game deserves a new thread whenever the android release happens.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 14, 2019

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

How much has Gwent changed since the Homecoming release? Back in the beta I played a bunch (was in the top 100 NA players) but after Homecoming revamped everything I found my interest rapidly slipping and haven't touched it since shortly after Thronebreaker. The Witcher netflix show gave me a bunch of nostalgia though, and I'm thinking about diving back in (lord knows I have the scrap to make almost anything). Have there been any major overhauls in the last year, or does everything pretty much work the same as when Homecoming launched?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's a few new keyword mechanics, in particular one that a new faction (The Syndicate) revolves around. Also depending on how soon after Homecoming you stopped there's the big mechanical change where leaders no longer effect your between round mulligan count. Instead, the leader ability you choose gives you extra provisions to use towards list building, so stronger abilities are balanced by having weaker decks, and vice versa.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Anyone else running into a lot of Skellige Crow players? Seems quite unbeatable!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
did they make this good yet

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
If you played a lot of the beta pre thronebreaker like me it’s pretty cool

Just jumped back in after seeing it finally on IOS and have played pretty much non stop :shrug:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

If you mean did they revert the game to back how it was before homecoming, then no. If you mean is the game super fun if you enjoy the mechanics of orders and charges, then yes.

Aug 2, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah. The cards have been rebalanced several times which ultimately lead to a very diverse meta. The game has more back and forth interactions and less of a solitaire feel. There are also far more cards and an additional faction to choose from now because there have been expansions. Population is strong enough that I match within seconds every time.

the_american_dream posted:

Anyone else running into a lot of Skellige Crow players? Seems quite unbeatable!
Skellige Crow is a very risky deck to play because by default all the crows will have the same power . That leaves multiple effects that can damage or wipe out all of them at once depending on the card or board state. Also it lacks machines. It may be able to poo poo out crows very quickly but other decks can create chain reactions that will boost themselves, damage you, or both every turn.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah, I really don't like what they did with homecoming which is a shame because before that it was great. Oh well, thanks anyway!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Yeah. The cards have been rebalanced several times which ultimately lead to a very diverse meta. The game has more back and forth interactions and less of a solitaire feel. There are also far more cards and an additional faction to choose from now because there have been expansions. Population is strong enough that I match within seconds every time.

Skellige Crow is a very risky deck to play because by default all the crows will have the same power . That leaves multiple effects that can damage or wipe out all of them at once depending on the card or board state. Also it lacks machines. It may be able to poo poo out crows very quickly but other decks can create chain reactions that will boost themselves, damage you, or both every turn.

Yea once I got over the awe of New Thing I sorted out a bit of strategy that at least didn’t get overwhelmed

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I've started playing Thronebreaker but my problem is that, despite it having a few similarities to Gwent in Witcher 3, they don't actually ever explain what majority of the cards do.

And you start with a full deck of cards that all have these powers that I have no idea what any of them do.

Are there any good videos that are just like a five minute "here's an overview of how to play"?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Been playing quite a bit more lately and the Scoia'tael Harmony deck is super busted at the early ranks. I haven't lost a game yet, not knowing what anyone is bring to the table. Because I played so much in beta, I haven't had any trouble making decks. I think when I came back I had something like 170k scraps, which has been plenty to build multiple decks and not even dent my reserves. Games pretty fun and i'm fairly happy with all the changes i've noticed from the beta days until now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Enjoying this game a lot all of a sudden. I started playing a syndicate deck, which is super fun, but way more complicated than the harmony deck. The harmony deck just pilots itself for the most part.

Is there no way to spend just scraps on premium cards anymore? I only see options to use dust to upgrade to premium.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mordiceius posted:

So I've started playing Thronebreaker but my problem is that, despite it having a few similarities to Gwent in Witcher 3, they don't actually ever explain what majority of the cards do.

And you start with a full deck of cards that all have these powers that I have no idea what any of them do.

Are there any good videos that are just like a five minute "here's an overview of how to play"?
Um? Every card has an explanation of what it does, including its powers. And you get a few tutorial "puzzle" fights, just to make sure you understand each mainstay's gimmick. And you don't get to choose your cards until you're quite a few hours into the campaign.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is Thronebreaker set to get a sequel or is the concept dead?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Dead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Is it worth playing at all?I liked Gwent in w3

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I liked it, so yeah.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ravenfood posted:

I barely play standalone Gwent, but Thronebreaker is really good and fun, with lots of fun/unique card fights with special rules and tons of cool choices/consequences the Witcher is known for. It's really really drat good. It took my right about 25 hours to beat it so it's meaty as well. While I hope there's more, Thronebreaker is a standalone story set during the books (leading into a really cool scene from Baptism of Fire) and it doesn't really need a sequel in and of itself.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ravenfood posted:

Is it worth playing at all?
Not really.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just read that review, which while well written, definitely doesn't represent the experience I had with the game. But it also takes a good deal to annoy me.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Boy is The Wild Boar broken

Know how to beat it but it’s VERY ANNOYING!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I kinda liked Thronebreaker but found it overstayed its welcome and never finished it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought TB's gameplay was ok through chapter 2, getting stale chapter 3, and chapter 4 was just unbearable.

The writing was imo excellent and the art on the map was really nice, I still like TB overall but it had its shortcomings.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Another thing TB has going for it is that it has a difficulty which allows you to skip right past the Gwent combat, treating each battle as though you won, and allowing you to concentrate on the more RPG choice/consequence related stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Xander77 posted:

Um? Every card has an explanation of what it does, including its powers. And you get a few tutorial "puzzle" fights, just to make sure you understand each mainstay's gimmick. And you don't get to choose your cards until you're quite a few hours into the campaign.

I think it's just a little overwhelming to get thrown into without ever having played the standalone Gwent game. You're thrown into the game with a full deck and every card does stuff but the game doesn't really spend time letting you get a feel for the flow of how card battle should go. I mean, W3 Gwent is super simple and most the cards don't do anything when you're first starting or have very simple mechanics. I'm getting used to it now, but I think it's a little overwhelming that you're just thrown in with a full deck without explanation.