Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I think you missed the most OSHA part of that plane though...

... not to mention

and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What are the clothespins doing there?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Visual aid for identifying useful throttle positions.

Or perhaps it's just a convenient place to store them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/brother_dag/status/1219020371430531072

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabor posted:

Visual aid for identifying useful throttle positions.

Or perhaps it's just a convenient place to store them.

I was thinking maybe they were soft stops for the throttle. Clip them down farther on the rod, stop pushing it when they touch the panel or whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqiBb98o1D8&t=42s

OSHA hand‐propping action @ 0:40

Demonstration of the prop’s pivoting ability @ 7:30.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 21, 2020

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

What are the clothespins doing there?

Gotta keep your sectionals somewhere

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

drat, I thought that crane was gonna start falling down or some poo poo.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

We are really dumb I’ll give him that.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cable Guy posted:

I think you missed the most OSHA part of that plane though...

... not to mention

and

I'm not seeing what is particularly osha about that plane except for deviating from OEM design, which has hopefully been reviewed by relevant authorities.

Unless the second and last images are sequential in which case :stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lurking Haro posted:

No, it would make it worse. Whatever he's towing had too much weight behind the rear axle and started swinging.

He is really, really lucky he was able to even it out, given how far it swung.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

great build up and pay off

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/hAr6uPf.mp4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Cop didn't pay his annual fee.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wasabi the J posted:

Wouldn't a dab of gas straightened that out?

Genuinely asking.

Lurking Haro posted:

No, it would make it worse. Whatever he's towing had too much weight behind the rear axle and started swinging.
There is something to it though. Having the load balanced improperly is definitely a good way to get in to sway, but once you're there the best way to straighten it out is to put tension on the hitch. Make it want to pull straight. If the truck has enough power to spare giving it some gas can actually help, as long as you still have traction with which to use it.

That said a much easier and more reliable solution would be to activate the trailer brakes. This is why the trailer brake controllers that anyone who does serious towing with a pickup uses all have some form of manual control, so you can apply the trailer brakes separately and have it effectively drag itself back in line if it starts to sway. Ford's integrated trailer brake controller on their newer trucks actually does this automatically if it detects the trailer beginning to wag.

If you have a brake controller that's always going to be the better option, but if not and your tow vehicle has sufficient extra power you'll have an easier time regaining control with the hitch under tension compared to braking or coasting down a hill with the trailer pushing.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqiBb98o1D8&t=42s

OSHA hand‐propping action @ 0:40

Demonstration of the prop’s pivoting ability @ 7:30.

That dude is too old and creaky to be hand cranking a prop. When the engine caught and he started awkwardly staggering out of the way I thought this was going to be a snuff movie.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Must be a hell of a thing, being basically the only group of people who can tell the cops (any everyone else) Move bitch, get out the way!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vanagoon posted:

Must be a hell of a thing, being basically the only group of people who can tell the cops (any everyone else) Move bitch, get out the way!

Sometimes, only sometimes

https://youtu.be/yNaXcYezt-8

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

A few years ago I had a driver lose a barrel of liquid latex in front of a fire dept in MA, they responded immediately and cleaned up the spill in the road, and the chief called me and said that they would make the cleanup charge go away if we provided new shovels to replace the ones that were ruined by the latex. I contact my safety dept and they insisted I told the fire chief that we would replace the shovels and gear if we could get the trashed gear in return (I don't know why, it was a really sketchy trucking company I worked for). When I told the chief that they wanted the old equipment in return he immediately said "gently caress you, if you don't want to work with me we're charging you $25K for an emergency response and cleanup" and hung up.

The next morning I called the FD back to see if I could resolve the situation, asking for the chief, another guy gets on the line and says "Chief had a heart attack yesterday, he'll be out for a few months." Without missing a beat I tell the guy that the chief wanted me to call to arrange shipment of the new equipment that we were going to send to them to thank them for their help cleaning up the spill. We delivered the new gear and never got charged.

Southcoast somewhere?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Southcoast somewhere?

Massachusetts. That same driver went on to get into a collision with a jet on the tarmac at Logan airport.

e: Lynn, MA. Misread your question.

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 22, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elendil004 posted:

Southcoast somewhere?

Holy poo poo, you're alive!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

ACAB

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

There is something to it though. Having the load balanced improperly is definitely a good way to get in to sway, but once you're there the best way to straighten it out is to put tension on the hitch. Make it want to pull straight. If the truck has enough power to spare giving it some gas can actually help, as long as you still have traction with which to use it.

If you have a brake controller that's always going to be the better option, but if not and your tow vehicle has sufficient extra power you'll have an easier time regaining control with the hitch under tension compared to braking or coasting down a hill with the trailer pushing.

Everything I've ever been told about trailers was that touching the gas with a swaying trailer, but I went and looked it up on a couple DOT websites to see what the official position was and yes, you are giving suicidally bad advice. Don't touch the gas to straighten out your trailer. It will only make the problem worse.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
No, slowing down will only cause the trailer to get more erratic, that's how physics works. Hitting the gas, and I'm talking like loving flooring it, will get the wind resistance to push the trailer back to center and keep it steady.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I can think of a lot of physical forces acting on an oscillating trailer, and wind due to the car's high speed is at the bottom of my list. That sounds like a nugget of wisdom passed down through the ages, but if you're going to drag physics into it I hope you have a source.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Stomping on the gas will screw things up, putting a big pulling force on the tongue will pull it back towards the center faster and then its momentum will kick it out the other way even more.
Braking hard will screw things up even worse, since now the trailer is pushing the vehicle and will be pushed even further to the side.

What you want is to unload the tongue as much as possible - ideally, they're both just coasting along together, until they come to a stop. In some cases a little bit of gas might help with that (since your vehicle might, for example, want to slow down faster than the trailer due to air resistance, so giving a tiny bit of engine power can even that out), but since it's a bit of a panic situation and you're not really in a position to calmly assess just how much gas to give it, the safest option is to just ride it out.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1219672406945685505

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8bIbI9p.mp4

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grem posted:

No, slowing down will only cause the trailer to get more erratic, that's how physics works. Hitting the gas, and I'm talking like loving flooring it, will get the wind resistance to push the trailer back to center and keep it steady.

It started swaying in the first place because it was going too fast with not enough weight on the hitch. Braking will put more pressure in the front, stabilizing it

It's like the pendulum fallacy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g2cO5zlK3w

dudes in the russian thread seem to have figured it's the bulb from a first gen soviet TV with all the protective stuff removed.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 22, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

how to avoid ships

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/oc1rmxB.mp4

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Whats weird about a Shekhawati Shower?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

did he stop in time

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Lurking Haro posted:

It started swaying in the first place because it was going too fast with not enough weight on the hitch. Braking will put more pressure in the front, stabilizing it

It's like the pendulum fallacy.

Wow a whole lot of people here just ignoring how powerful wind is. Drive without a windshield if you're so sure.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/androphonos_/status/1219499054599557121

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah it's gonna be like that on contact, the ranges are for open air.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://twitter.com/afonsoborges/status/1220018709357613057

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/UxW71m0.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Always be suspicious of "antique" dinnerware that's bright orange/red.

quote:

Just How Radioactive Is Fiesta Ware?

There is no evidence that the people who made these dishes suffered any ill effects from exposure to the glazes, so you probably don't have a lot to worry about by just being around the dishes. That being said, scientists at Oak Ridge National Laboratory who measured radiation from the dishes found that a standard 7" "radioactive red" plate (not its official Fiesta name) will expose you to gamma radiation if you're in the same room as the plate, beta radiation if you touch the plate, and alpha radiation if you eat acidic foods off the plate. The exact radioactivity is difficult to measure since so many factors play into your exposure, but you're looking at 3-10 mR/hr. The estimated daily human limit rate is only 2 mR/hr. In case you've wondered just how much uranium that is, researchers estimate a single red plate contains approximately 4.5 grams of uranium or 20% uranium, by weight. If you eat off the radioactive dinnerware daily, you would be looking at ingesting around 0.21 grams of uranium per year. Using a red ceramic teacup daily would give you an estimated annual radiation dose of 400 mrem to your lips and 1200 mrem to the fingers, not counting the radiation from ingesting uranium.

Basically, you're not doing yourself any favors eating off the dishes and you certainly don't want to sleep with one under your pillow. Ingestion of uranium could increase the risk of tumors or cancer, particularly in the gastrointestinal tract. However, Fiesta and other dishes are a lot less radioactive than many other items produced during the same era.

You can still find a lot of old red/orange Fiesta Ware products that used uranium oxide for the color. In the early 1940's they briefly stopped using uranium oxide not because they found out it was bad, but because WW2 needed all the uranium that was available. Once that was over they used depleted uranium instead until the 1970s. But boy howdy does it look purdy! :pseudo: