Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

So McTurtle is directing his opening speech directly to Trump or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

refleks posted:

So McTurtle is directing his opening speech directly to Trump or...?

probably. thats what the GOP has been doing for years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

But not Giuliani?!

Giuliani has absolutely no trouble giving an honest recollection of any and all crimes he or others may have committed. Usually unprompted, and often on national TV.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eke out posted:

he's not a member of the legal team representing trump in the impeachment trial

Well then he's already there :)

But seriously, he's basically the enabler/executor for the abuse of power article, so he ought to be fair game, IMO.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
McConnel is a brilliant politician and knows how to play the game. That is what scares me the most - he is a scumbag, a liar, and a terrible person.

I really hope he gets voted out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AngrySpork posted:

McConnel is a brilliant politician and knows how to play the game. That is what scares me the most - he is a scumbag, a liar, and a terrible person.

I really hope he gets voted out.

he might. isnt he second most unpopular senator.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I have to honestly say I’ve never heard McConnell speak. This is wild.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The Access Hollywood tape should have been the first indication that he's bulletproof. Sure, you can hit him but like a god drat cockroach he just won't die (figuratively. I'm not advocating violence. Hi, FBI!).

That's poor evidence of him being bulletproof though. He got saved from that scandal by the quick and timely intervention of Wikileaks.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yea, Collins is the most unpopular right now, I think.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

Well then he's already there :)

But seriously, he's basically the enabler/executor for the abuse of power article, so he ought to be fair game, IMO.

to clarify, the reason I linked that is that they're trying to disqualify an active member of trump's legal team, white house counsel Pat Cipollone. the same thing doesn't apply to Rudy because he's not actually representing Trump in this proceeding -- the fact that he's a witness may be relevant, but that's it's own separate matter

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Voter suppression works.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

That's poor evidence of him being bulletproof though. He got saved from that scandal by the quick and timely intervention of Wikileaks.

We've built up a pretty sizable body of evidence before and since. If we're talking specifically about how the fact that he's a living embodiment of political scandal will affect his election chances, well, I guess we'll find out. But the fundamentals of his national approval are baked in at this point.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I yearn for the day when Rudy takes the stand under oath. A man can dream.....

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

Is Cruz overhearing this right now?

Edit: Yes, he is, but WHY?

AngrySpork fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 21, 2020

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

AngrySpork posted:

Most senior member present?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

AngrySpork posted:

NPR just has a stream of the hall and a police officer with a serious mullet

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

We've built up a pretty sizable body of evidence before and since. If we're talking specifically about how the fact that he's a living embodiment of political scandal will affect his election chances, well, I guess we'll find out. But the fundamentals of his national approval are baked in at this point.

The existence of other evidence doesn't make the Access Hollywood scandal itself good evidence.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What resolution are they discussing currently?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

hanales posted:

I liked him more when he starred in the "Duck And Cover" movie that played for us in the 1960s.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cipillone is not a great public speaker.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

refleks posted:

Most senior member present?

There are plenty of other more senior senators. I guess the GOP caucus just deciced to let him preside

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

hanales posted:

The banality of evil.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Schiff's giving an opening statement now, FYI

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Yeah it is pretty good. I am steeling myself for how mad the rebuttal is going to make me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

eke out posted:

Schiff's giving an opening statement now, FYI

Sorry, Schiff is giving what's basically the main democratic position against the McConnell rules resolution, which comes off a lot like an opening statement

But technically openings don't come until tomorrow

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to be disappointed if when the ratfucking goes through. I was getting hopeful for a proper circus.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AngrySpork posted:

I don't know about brilliant as much as he's a craven rear end in a top hat that has no problem making GBS threads all over things because "Well it doesn't say a Dog can't..." in the fine print.

Great rules lawyering, though.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know about brilliant as much as he's a craven rear end in a top hat that has no problem making GBS threads all over things because "Well it doesn't say a Dog can't..." in the fine print.

Thats what I mean by a good politician. I do not mean a good person. He knows how to play people and play the game and get what he wants.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FilthyImp posted:

He's a staggeringly effective evil dooer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/lacaldwelldc/status/1219690775816130567?s=21

Sounds like the scenario where John Roberts isn't allowed to sleep for two days has been changed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/lacaldwelldc/status/1219690775816130567?s=21

Sounds like the scenario where John Roberts isn't allowed to sleep for two days has been changed

they probably couldnt get the votes for that level of ratfucking.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jay Sekulow is bad at his job but he's a lawyer employed by Trump so I repeat myself

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

Jay Sekulow is bad at his job but he's a lawyer employed by Trump so I repeat myself

i am cool with that.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It is so tiresome that their strategy for months has just been to angrily growl and shout nonsense.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they probably couldnt get the votes for that level of ratfucking.

Better for him to cave on those two points to get the wishy-washy R's on his side for the big fuckery still in there. Concede a battle now to hopefully win the war.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

It is so tiresome that their strategy for months has just been to angrily growl and shout nonsense.

It's literally all they have. It's more tiresome that it actually works.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eke out posted:

But he's someone who has appeared on Fox so I'm sure the chuds are eating his bullshit up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

tecnocrat posted:

Better for him to cave on those two points to get the wishy-washy R's on his side for the big fuckery still in there. Concede a battle now to hopefully win the war.

i mean even if those wish washers vote to convict it won't be enough. we know the future, its just we don't know the path.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

But he's someone who has appeared on Fox so I'm sure the chuds are eating his bullshit up.

yeah I have no doubt he's performing the role that he thinks Trump wants to see, which is the only thing that matters here

Sekulow's job isn't to win (he wins by default) it's to look like a Strong Man on TV so he can keep making money off Trump's infinite legal problems for the rest of his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

eke out posted:

yeah I have no doubt he's performing the role that he thinks Trump wants to see, which is the only thing that matters here

Sekulow's job isn't to win (he wins by default) it's to look like a Strong Man on TV so he can keep making money off Trump's infinite legal problems for the rest of his life

Well... given Trump's propensity to just not pay his lawyers....