Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Take copius notes, I also want to attempt espalier. Rooting and shooting for ya! No suckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eszettschnitte
Jun 23, 2019
Could I trouble any of you for some advice?

I just bought a small blueberry bush on a whim and plan on keeping it on my balcony. I know they are frost hardy but this one was probably in a greenhouse until now because it has green foliage and full of buds for new leaves. The problem is, my area still has hard freezes until March and I don't want it to go into shock or be thrown off cycle or something. I have some automated grow lamps for my succulents in my basement and it's about 57 F down there, so I put it there for now.

Do you think it will be better off in the basement (risk of flowering too soon and not getting pollinated) or better off if I just wrap some frost protection stuff around it and put it on the balcony, making it experience "autumn" and a short winter?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eszettschnitte posted:

Could I trouble any of you for some advice?

I just bought a small blueberry bush on a whim and plan on keeping it on my balcony. I know they are frost hardy but this one was probably in a greenhouse until now because it has green foliage and full of buds for new leaves. The problem is, my area still has hard freezes until March and I don't want it to go into shock or be thrown off cycle or something. I have some automated grow lamps for my succulents in my basement and it's about 57 F down there, so I put it there for now.

Do you think it will be better off in the basement (risk of flowering too soon and not getting pollinated) or better off if I just wrap some frost protection stuff around it and put it on the balcony, making it experience "autumn" and a short winter?

Harden it off.

You do that by putting it in a protected area where it’ll get lots of direct sunlight for like 3 to 4 hours a day for one or two days, then gradually increase the amount of time by like an hour a day for several days until it gets acclimated to its new environment. Ideally you’d start out doing this indoors, then start over outdoors when you’re up to like 6 to 8 hours, but if you don’t have a spot indoors that gets direct sunlight you can probably go straight to outdoors as long as you’re careful (probably up the exposure by 30 minutes a day instead of one hour if you start outdoors).

A grow lamp probably isn’t going to cut it. You want it to get used to its ACTUAL new environment, not an indoor safe space (unless the indoor safe space IS its new environment, of course :v:).

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

Harden it off.

You do that by putting it in a protected area where it’ll get lots of direct sunlight for like 3 to 4 hours a day for one or two days, then gradually increase the amount of time by like an hour a day for several days until it gets acclimated to its new environment. Ideally you’d start out doing this indoors, then start over outdoors when you’re up to like 6 to 8 hours, but if you don’t have a spot indoors that gets direct sunlight you can probably go straight to outdoors as long as you’re careful (probably up the exposure by 30 minutes a day instead of one hour if you start outdoors).

A grow lamp probably isn’t going to cut it. You want it to get used to its ACTUAL new environment, not an indoor safe space (unless the indoor safe space IS its new environment, of course :v:).

Agree. Maybe the most I would do is put some mulch on top of the pot and wrap the exterior in a blanket or something to protect the roots from extreme bullshit until spring comes. It'll be fine next year

Eszettschnitte
Jun 23, 2019
Thank you for your advice!
I was going to get it used to the sun before putting it in full sun, my succulents need the same treatment before going out in the sun. Also, athis time of the year, there is little sun here...

I was more concerned about the freezing temperatures, especially at night. Should I take it inside for the night for the first few days or wait for a few days with temperatures that are a little warmer? Will it drop its leaves?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How cold has it been getting where you live?

A balcony is already a pretty sheltered location. You can provide more shelter by by pulling a trash bag over the plant at night. Pull it off in the morning so it doesn’t cook under the greenhouse effect.

Eszettschnitte
Jun 23, 2019
It gets down to about 20F lately but I live on a minor mountain range in central Europe, so potentially down to 0F. Often we'll get another cold snap in February. I know that the plant is cold hardy enough and should be fine next winter.

I have some stuff that is designed to be wrapped around plants during winter, it's supposed to filter harsh sun and ward off cold temps. I think I'm going to try putting the pot on some cardboard, wrapping the pot with a blanket or an old towel or something and put some of the wrapping stuff over it for now. That should be fine, right?

I have to say I don't trust myself to not forget about wrapping and unwrapping the plant if I use a trash bag.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Green foliage on blueberries takes damage at 28°F (−2°C), so don’t let the plant get colder than that till it gets the message and drops its leaves.

Twenty degrees Fahrenheit is mild by blueberry standards and the plant should take to it easily once the green is gone.

Leave it out in the evening till thermometer says −2°C.

If the low isn’t forecast to be much below that, leave it out all night. Frost fabric is worth maybe 2°C above ambient on its own.

More can be gained by putting containers of water in with the plant. The thermal mass of water is significant, and it releases energy when it freezes. If there’s enough water and surface area to keep up, it can keep the air surround itself and the plant only slightly below freezing for long time.

If you need active heating, incandescent Christmas lights are a classic way to do it. When wrapped around branches, they put heat right where it’s needed.

Eszettschnitte
Jun 23, 2019
Thank you very much for your detailed advice! I will stick to it and I'm hopeful I'll get some homegrown blueberries in summer :)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Platystemon posted:

If you need active heating, incandescent Christmas lights are a classic way to do it. When wrapped around branches, they put heat right where it’s needed.

Oooh. I saw someone did this up the road with their banana palm, and wondered about the purpose. They got it in just in time for a gigantic dump of snow. I suspect the tree may be dead already, though, since there was a cold snap of -10 (Celsius) before they did.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oooh. I saw someone did this up the road with their banana palm, and wondered about the purpose. They got it in just in time for a gigantic dump of snow. I suspect the tree may be dead already, though, since there was a cold snap of -10 (Celsius) before they did.

Maybe! Could sprout back next year. They’re basically a perennial where I live, several neighbors have them and they pretty much die back to the ground every winter as we have several serious cold snaps, but they always come back in force bc the roots lived

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Christmas lights wouldn’t do much for it.

All banana foliage dies back not much below freezing, but bananas can come back from that if the ground doesn’t chill too much.

Ornamental bananas can come back from winter temperatures of negative twenty degrees Celsius or more. “Musa basjoo” is the most popular of these.

Getting fruit takes a much warmer climate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are banana trees that can fruit at a size that’s suitable for the indoors:

That’s a “super dwarf” Cavendish. Unfortunately, they taste like supermarket bananas.

To grow something tastier and more exotic, people will go to efforts like digging up the rhizome at first frost and storing it in a cool crawlspace, putting it back in the ground as soon as the danger of frost has passed.

They have to get lucky with long growing seasons and a cooperating tree. Banana plants flower when they want to. They don’t feel the time pressure of the approaching winter. Some cultivars take more than a year to fruit, so that trick will never work, no matter the luck.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Woke up and popped out for a walk around the garden to see the fresh new life and I am the proud owner of at least a solid quarter acre of creeping lantana, which is classified as ‘kill on sight’ by my local gov

V pretty but this is cow city son (I am unclear on the effect on native animals) so I gotta get rid of it. Was really looking forward to some genial slow garden projects instead of this.

I’m in a wildlife corridor and the worst spots are right on the track the Roos and wallabys take so spraying is more or less out. Australia is on fire so burning is out; first plan of attack is aggressive hand removal with a shovel. I will develop giant arms and pray that disturbing the soil doesn’t make it even worse in the long run if I half rear end it. Some bits are on a bit of a slope but theres enough on a flatish part that I can probably justify hiring a small digger, which is an upside I guess

If it comes back after the next rain I guess I’m resigning myself to endlessly tilling soil for no real purpose like some depressed dude booting up star dew valley and then immediately deciding they aren’t into it.

I don't actually know if its the bad boy I think it is, basing it off a plant ID app and some wiki-fu means I could be wrong but luckily the local dude that removes it also does four other things we need a quote for anyway so I'm probably just gonna pay him to do it tbh

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 24, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Now, normally I'd be suggesting my old friend the weed torch... Not today, old burny friend.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Woke up and popped out for a walk around the garden to see the fresh new life and I am the proud owner of at least a solid quarter acre of creeping lantana, which is classified as ‘kill on sight’ by my local gov

V pretty but this is cow city son (I am unclear on the effect on native animals) so I gotta get rid of it. Was really looking forward to some genial slow garden projects instead of this.

I’m in a wildlife corridor and the worst spots are right on the track the Roos and wallabys take so spraying is more or less out. Australia is on fire so burning is out; first plan of attack is aggressive hand removal with a shovel. I will develop giant arms and pray that disturbing the soil doesn’t make it even worse in the long run if I half rear end it. Some bits are on a bit of a slope but theres enough on a flatish part that I can probably justify hiring a small digger, which is an upside I guess

If it comes back after the next rain I guess I’m resigning myself to endlessly tilling soil for no real purpose like some depressed dude booting up star dew valley and then immediately deciding they aren’t into it.

I don't actually know if its the bad boy I think it is, basing it off a plant ID app and some wiki-fu means I could be wrong but luckily the local dude that removes it also does four other things we need a quote for anyway so I'm probably just gonna pay him to do it tbh

EDIT: Sorry, I missed a small fragment of the paragraph.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I have confirmed the lantana is toxic to my friends and future allies in the tank girl water wars; the Roos and wallabys. No quarter will be shown. I will make this beauty wish for the quick death by fire it cannot have as I uplodge it and replace it with the glorious and hardy, fire proof native Australian ground cover plant *THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK*

(I’m in south east Queensland if anyone has any recs, but I’m sure the dude at my nursery will have some suggestion, he is crazy good at selling me lots of stuff)

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 24, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Can we cross Lantana with cannabis and come together as a nation to remove it with a series of small back burns

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I have confirmed the lantana is toxic to my friends and future allies in the tank girl water wars; the Roos and wallabys. No quarter will be shown. I will make this beauty wish for the quick death by fire it cannot have as I uplodge it and replace it with the glorious and hardy, fire proof native Australian ground cover plant *THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK*

(I’m in south east Queensland if anyone has any recs, but I’m sure the dude at my nursery will have some suggestion, he is crazy good at selling me lots of stuff)

Btw you are going to be fighting this lovely weed for like the rest of your life lol. Lantana is outrageous

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah it’s gonna keep popping up until I’m dead but the more I look into it the more I have hope it’s just gonna be a fun once a year ritual rather than just my life

- all the places it has spread have lots of natural mulch so the taproot is barely in the actual dirt

- most of it hasn’t flowered, it’s just now I know what the leaves and roots look like I’m seeing it everywhere

- none of it has grown together into a dense shrub it’s just a lot of disparate shoots growing out in crazy obvious ways

I suspect the two main issues are gonna be disposal and boundary disputes with my lazy rear end neighbour that has even more than me

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Are you certain that something like glyphosate isn’t an option? You’d likely have to spray once or twice a growing season (as you deplete the energy stored in the tubers) but it shouldn’t affect the wildlife when used appropriately.

I used to do extensive invasive plant control and as long as you’re careful, it’s a very useful tool.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Solkanar512 posted:

Are you certain that something like glyphosate isn’t an option? You’d likely have to spray once or twice a growing season (as you deplete the energy stored in the tubers) but it shouldn’t affect the wildlife when used appropriately.

I used to do extensive invasive plant control and as long as you’re careful, it’s a very useful tool.

The trick is to be careful, which is not information I can trust Cletus to yell at poor old Jose.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, this is why God gave Man Roundup. Alternatively, something like Tenacity might work?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Yeah it’s gonna keep popping up until I’m dead but the more I look into it the more I have hope it’s just gonna be a fun once a year ritual rather than just my life

- all the places it has spread have lots of natural mulch so the taproot is barely in the actual dirt

- most of it hasn’t flowered, it’s just now I know what the leaves and roots look like I’m seeing it everywhere

- none of it has grown together into a dense shrub it’s just a lot of disparate shoots growing out in crazy obvious ways

I suspect the two main issues are gonna be disposal and boundary disputes with my lazy rear end neighbour that has even more than me

Also, once you get your poo poo under control, report the gently caress out of your neighbor. gently caress invasives.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Can anyone recommend compost bins? We'd prefer one that would rotate, to make mixing easier.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I have this one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tumbling-composter-with-two-chambers-0594490p.html#srp

It's ok. I put red wigglers in there with the compost and it works fairly well. It's just a bitch getting it out and actually using it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm exploring the idea, if it can be used safely I'm for it, I've just had some bad experiences with roundup so I'll probably pay someone to do it

(roundup is also my dads name bc he is a cheapskate)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm exploring the idea, if it can be used safely I'm for it, I've just had some bad experiences with roundup so I'll probably pay someone to do it

(roundup is also my dads name bc he is a cheapskate)

If by ‘used safely’ you mean you’re worried about overspray, you can use the concentrate undiluted as a hack-and-squirt treatment. Cut the lantana off at the ground and immediately spray glyphosate concentrate on the cut stump and it will absorb down into the roots and keep it from coming back.

If by ‘used safely’ you mean you’re worried about RoundupCancer, wear gloves and long pants/sleeves and don’t take a bath in it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If by ‘used safely’ you mean you’re worried about overspray, you can use the concentrate undiluted as a hack-and-squirt treatment. Cut the lantana off at the ground and immediately spray glyphosate concentrate on the cut stump and it will absorb down into the roots and keep it from coming back.

If by ‘used safely’ you mean you’re worried about RoundupCancer, wear gloves and long pants/sleeves and don’t take a bath in it.

I've done this technique with other chemicals to prevent Quaking Aspen from loving up my septic drain field, and it works wonders. Don't be afraid to mix a little food coloring in to be absolutely sure you don't apply in the same place a day later or whatever.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Wear gloves, and do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVd7w-Dc5qY

I agree, add some blue dye to make sure you are getting appropriate coverage, but you should be totally fine. It will be tedious to cover a large area this way, but the nice thing about glyphosate is that it will move throughout the plant so you don't need 100% coverage, just do a few quick passes every few weeks until you look clear.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Like I said I’m just worried about spraying the macropod track. It’s right on where they eat and the wicking thing or applying it directly to any taproots I can’t remove cleanly seems like a reasonable first measure alongside what I’m planning. Overspray is well and truely the concern.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Jestery posted:

Operation Leafy greens self sustainability is entering phase two

I have planted around 15-20 sambung plants in two troughs and a large growing pot this was more than sufficient to eat from 2-5 times a week

This was phase one and proof of concept

I observed that having them grow as large branches on long stakes is the most comfortable way to harvest and keep everything under control and easily assessable if there are any issues

Phase two is a more organised grow set up

6-10 buckets with long stakes and 3-5 plants per bucket

This should be a far more steady supply to draw from as needed

My end goal is to have a stir-fry growing in my backyard at all times

I currently have a large polystyrene container of spring onions and ginger growing to get a feel for how they grow.

I also have spring onions , silverbeet(for iron) and beans growing in a passive hydroponic system

Hopefully I can have a pretty good meal I can just harvest from or add too will little effort

If anyone has any ideas for non-seasonal fruiting type plants that would be rad

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Like I said I’m just worried about spraying the macropod track. It’s right on where they eat and the wicking thing or applying it directly to any taproots I can’t remove cleanly seems like a reasonable first measure alongside what I’m planning. Overspray is well and truely the concern.

Sounds like a plan. Here's what I'd do:

Go in and manually pull like what you've planned. Wait like a month, then go and spot spray/wick to all the new shoots that you've missed / that are sprouting from broken roots. Use the glyphosate exactly for what it's best at while minimizing usage volume for areas that can be removed via other means.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I want to point out it is the most insane and Australian thing that when I went to talk to three seperate nursery people their answer for what to plant over where I pulled it out were more verbancae looking motherfuckers. I know they’re probably nowhere near as prolific and snakey but like jeez guys I don’t want to look at another weird loving tube flower cluster in my life

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Expected from the country that introduced the cane toad on purpose.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Import some rabbits to eat it

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
God drat it, I wasn't planning on fruit trees until next year but I made the mistake of going to Costco and they had young looking combination trees for $18 each. I now have a 5 in 1 apple and a 3 in 1 cherry. That took massive restraint.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hubis posted:

Import some rabbits to eat it

Look I’m not stupid ok, I’m not gonna do that unless I already know what I need to introduce later to eat the rabbits

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I ordered a couple of goji berry plants from Stark Bros about two or three weeks ago, a Big Lifeberry and a Sweet Lifeberry. After a week of hardening both of them off, the Big Lifeberry is doing great and already has a few new leaf buds, while the Sweet Lifeberry...... isn’t. The Sweet Lifeberry showed up at my house with at least half the soil missing from its pot and a bunch of its roots exposed; I added some more soil, but I’m wondering if it might already be dead.

Does my Sweet Lifeberry plant still have a chance, or do I need to go ahead and order a new one before Stark Bros runs out of them for the year?

PHOTOS:

Big Lifeberry

Sweet Lifeberry