Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Sekulow has the most random loving pauses when he talks. Like he thinks it emphasises a point but there is just nothing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

actually Sekulow seems like he doesn't know where the camera is lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

refleks posted:

Well... given Trump's propensity to just not pay his lawyers....

He will be on the wingnut welfare train for the rest of his life just for his being seen as a defender of Dear Leader.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah whatever funding problems some people have, Sekulow is the Main Lawyer for the whole Trump shebang, both corporate and presidential. he's not having trouble getting a paycheck.

if anything he's probably doing some crimes we don't yet know about related to how he's getting paid lol

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

He will be on the wingnut welfare train for the rest of his life just for his being seen as a defender of Dear Leader.

You mean his smooth jazz band isn't going to pay the bills?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Someone explained it earlier, but how in the hell is the White House counsel allowed to be part of this?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/lacaldwelldc/status/1219690775816130567?s=21

Sounds like the scenario where John Roberts isn't allowed to sleep for two days has been changed

These both strike me as good news. Three days of 8 hours is a hell of a lot better than two of 12. It means most of the meat will be during the day when people can pay attention.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao this White House Counsel is absolutely destroying anyone's faith in the notion of there being an independent lawyer who represents The Presidency But Not The President like people think the job is

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I assume Sekulow spoke first so when everyone starts thinking holy poo poo this guy is bad, then Cipillone steps up and everyone's like you know that last guy wasn't so bad.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

So I naively thought this guy's job was to be the good cop, the one that actually cites the more complicated and nominally-neutral arguments about privilege and stuff, since he's a public employee working for the Government.

But nope, he's full on Fox News conspiracy nut too

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Once again, no one on the President’s team is saying that what Donald Trump did was okay, they are just say saying people are being mean to him.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

He can hear the mic in the room right? He can hear his dumbass finger every time he bangs the lectern...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a patriotic duty to ignore Congressional subpoenas.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

literally pounding the table over and over again

great start, very professional

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

eke out posted:

So I naively thought this guy's job was to be the good cop, the one that actually cites the more complicated and nominally-neutral arguments about privilege and stuff, since he's a public employee working for the Government.

i mean i know it won't change the outcome but you would think these guys would try a better argument than fox new grandpa stuff, then again its their base.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oh and by the way

... will mr. schiff give us documents?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1219698190129225728

trumps ironclad defense.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

eke out posted:

Shocking twist, there are no good cops.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I'm astonished that the WH lawyers managed to get through their opening comments without blaming Hillary Clinton.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ethiser posted:

Once again, no one on the President’s team is saying that what Donald Trump did was okay, they are just say saying people are being mean to him.

He's a young promising man of 73, should we ruin the rest of his life over this minor transgression?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

While this post would make absolutely perfect sense in a regular world, a meteor hit the Earth in November of 2016 as a direct result of the Cubs winning the World Series and we're all in hell now.

The Access Hollywood tape should have been the first indication that he's bulletproof. Sure, you can hit him but like a god drat cockroach he just won't die (figuratively. I'm not advocating violence. Hi, FBI!).
i think it's pretty clear at this point that for a rich person to be punished they have to agree to be punished. all this poo poo could have been done by clinton to get out of his impeachment, he just didn't, half these guys are taking a car service to their trials. one day someone just won't show up and we'll spend a few good months laughing about how stupid it is that they're not showing up and the angry wording of the fifth warning.
to be "bulletproof" all you need is enough money to pay a lawyer to tell the gun "not today, please come back later" and kinda wait for the issue to die down.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Shocking twist, there are no good cops.

no kidding. but there's a version of this trial where you have both the Trump People arguing this is an insane conspiracy hoax, and then the White House People arguing more legal and procedural issues, where the facade of neutrality benefits them.

It just turns out, instead, they're all just insane trump people

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
These will be the same grandstands from now to the end.

SubG posted:

I'm astonished that the WH lawyers managed to get through their opening comments without blaming Hillary Clinton.

That'll be their surprise Perry Mason twist just before the final commercial break.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eke out posted:

no kidding. but there's a version of this trial where you have both the Trump People arguing this is an insane conspiracy hoax, and then the White House People arguing more legal and procedural issues, where the facade of neutrality benefits them.

It just turns out, instead, they're all just insane trump people

The sane people have had three years to run for the hills door

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sekulow is "womp womp" guy right?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol MSNBC: "Mitch McConnell has already lost his grip on his caucus"

apparently those changes are a result of his lunch with the republican senators, not negotiations with dems

it makes sense though, no one wants to literally spend 1pm to like 3am in the senate every day. that's bipartisan

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

HootTheOwl posted:

Sekulow is "womp womp" guy right?

Think that was Lewandowski, but all of these assholes are interchangeable

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is Sekulow the guy with his own radioshow and the ACLJ?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Is Sekulow the guy with his own radioshow and the ACLJ?

Yes. Long before the Trump era, he used to go on Trinity Broadcasting to whine about Christians being persecuted because of church and state separation.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/lacaldwelldc/status/1219690775816130567?s=21

Sounds like the scenario where John Roberts isn't allowed to sleep for two days has been changed

I imagine John Roberts is loving this, but if it was me I've be very annoyed that I've been pulled into having to be part of this bullshit.

Also, you know, it's funny how a 12 hour workday is just beyond the pale for the senate. I used to regularly do manual labor for 12 hours a day.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. thats what the GOP has been doing for years.

The media really needs to make how the GOP blatantly does not give a gently caress and is notable outright vindictive too and doesn't consider more than half the country American citizens that they need to be responsible toward a key focus of the trial. Like it really shouldn't be that hard to do seeing as they all but outright demonstrate as such on a daily basis.

eke out posted:

lol MSNBC: "Mitch McConnell has already lost his grip on his caucus"

apparently those changes are a result of his lunch with the republican senators, not negotiations with dems

it makes sense though, no one wants to literally spend 1pm to like 3am in the senate every day. that's bipartisan

This is going to make the house part of the impeachment process look good and orderly in comparison if the process just opens demonstrably with sets of on the fly rule changes to try to fast track an acquittal. Like at least the house had Schiff and Nadler to establish and stick to a guideline of rules and processes like how a grand jury style process is supposed to work where you establish the facts and determine from the evidence whether a formal criminal trial by a jury of peers is warranted. The whole process kind of breaks down when the jury is already openly compromised and biased and seeking to find an acquittal through the fastest means possible no matter what breakdown of law and order and natural justice proceedings has to occur. The parts of the House trial where Devin Nunes, Jim Jordan etc. got to speak were notably the most chaotic and buckling part of the process because they just did not care at all about what they were supposed to be there too do. I'll be stunned if the Democratic Senators in the house which total 48 are even allowed to speak or get their due equal treatment quite the same way at all.

It's going to be so bad and the whole country is going to get to see a dose of what the Republican party has become and how little they care about anyone but their core base (if even then beyond their vote) and likely far more so than at any point in the last 4 years since it will have wall to wall coverage from the media. Like if it isn't clear by the end of it how much rank partisanship is destroying America's governments ability to function properly if at all it should be by the end of the month

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

breaking:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

I imagine John Roberts is loving this, but if it was me I've be very annoyed that I've been pulled into having to be part of this bullshit.

Also, you know, it's funny how a 12 hour workday is just beyond the pale for the senate. I used to regularly do manual labor for 12 hours a day.

I've done that before too, but I'd rather have a 12 hour manual workday than have to sit in a meeting with no phone or computer for 12 hours. That sounds like a layer of hell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

1glitch0 posted:

John Roberts loves anything that allows him to solidify Republican control of the government. I'm sure he's having the time of his life.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Darko posted:

I've done that before too, but I'd rather have a 12 hour manual workday than have to sit in a meeting with no phone or computer for 12 hours. That sounds like a layer of hell.

also it was 12 hours of debate time a day, that's probably like 14-16 actual hours

Kale
May 14, 2010

AngrySpork posted:

McConnel is a brilliant politician and knows how to play the game. That is what scares me the most - he is a scumbag, a liar, and a terrible person.

I really hope he gets voted out.

It's more like the Senate Majority Leader gives one senator a ridiculous degree of power to set agenda and rules and effectively control and disenfranchise the entire remaining chamber of congress as long as their party has at least 51 senators and he's the first one that has just been blatantly okay with exploiting those powers to their utmost degree regardless of how much damage it does to the Democratic process and precedents it sets for future Democratic Majority leaders to use against his own party should they give as little of a poo poo about their oath of office as he does.

It's less a matter of brilliance than a blatant absence of any sense of morality or willingness to put country and duty before party and self-interest. The means were always there for the taking the way the post has been set up, much like is the case with the outrageous powers the House Speakership grants the Speaker. Learning just how much power both positions actually grant the person that occupies them and how much restraint past ones must have shown not to use them to their fullest extent has certainly been enlightening.

refleks posted:

Someone explained it earlier, but how in the hell is the White House counsel allowed to be part of this?

The Senate is broken as poo poo under McConnell and they'll change any rule or allow anything that allows them to fast track an acquittal or outright dismal of charges. That's about the extent of it. This is not going to be a Democratic process at all and you can probably expect all kinds of rule changes or outlandish rule interpretations on the fly to disenfranchise any Democrats ability to re-demonstrate the case for conviction and culpability on Trump's part. Basically move over OJ trial, this is going to set the new standard for televised poo poo show circus trials.

The house portion will prove nothing in comparison. In fact it's largely agreed upon by the media and un-corrupted law experts at large save Fox News that it established factual undeniable evidence of the charges that were then leveled against Trump and sent to the Senate. The guy is guilty under what should be the current system and laws of the land and what is determined and impeachable offense warranting immediate removal from offfice, but the GOP will change rules and corrupt the process as needed in order to assure that they get their acquittal. I don't think they expected the undeniable guilt to be this established in the house trial though so now basically have to go on record with saying that it doesn't matter as long as it's their guy that's the defendant.

The problem is the impeachment system was originally set up so that Democratically elected officials would get to determine guilt and conviction so as not to disenfranchise the population in any way in allowing some unelected third party to hold sway over potentially removing a democratically elected president, but nobody that designed it ever predicted the sheer corruption of the Republican party especially under McConnell so it doesn't help either way in ensuring a fair democratic process.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 21, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kale posted:

It's more like the Senate Majority Leader gives one senator a ridiculous degree of power to set agenda and rules and effectively control and disenfranchise the entire remaining chamber of congress as long as their party has at least 51 senators and he's the first one that has just been blatantly okay with exploiting those powers to their utmost degree regardless of how much damage it does to the Democratic process and precedents it sets for future Democratic Majority leaders to use against his own party should they give as little of a poo poo about their oath of office as he does.

It's less a matter of brilliance than a blatant absence of any sense of morality or willingness to put country and duty before party and self-interest. The means were always there for the taking the way the post has been set up, much like is the case with the outrageous powers the House Speakership grants the Speaker. Learning just how much power both positions actually grant the person that occupies them and how much restraint past ones must have shown not to use them to their fullest extent has certainly been enlightening.

Well McConnell's real superpower is that he doesn't care if you call him a hypocrite or catch him in lies because he has zero shame and is an amoral sociopath who's one objective is solidifying republican power and he'll trample any institution or norm to do that. He's set the template and there is no going back who matter who succeeds him.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 21, 2020

Kale
May 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Well McConnell's real superpower is that he doesn't care if you call him a hypocrite or catch him in lies because he has zero shame and is an amoral sociopath who's one objective is solidifying republican power and he'll trample any institution or norm to do that. He's set the template and there is no going back who matter who succeeds him.

Yeah it's really really bad and not particularly funny or amusing in any way to me personally. It's just incredibly unfortunate turn of history that someone like Mitch McConnell happens to occupy the Majority Leader post at this juncture in history and only cares about his own self interest.

If Schumer were majority leader instead of McConnell you would likely see a process not too dissimilar to the one in the House that Schiff and Nadler oversaw where it's largely about establishing facts, calling appropriate witnesses to testify and face due cross examination, and following established procedures while Republicans basically beak off and moan about how unfair they think everything is to them as their contribution to the process, but largely fail to make any case at all one way or another. The Republicans know they have no legal case for establishing a valid legal defense of Trump's abuses of power with regard to Ukraine under a proper trial system by this point in the process so instead they have to try to change rules and try to make the argument that it doesn't matter, which I'm still not sure how it's going to play with the country at large, but somehow I don't think the majority of people are going to look favorably on it at all. Like the actual public at large, not just the Republican hacks and Fox News personalities that never shut up on twitter and their shows who get shared in D&D a lot. Nor the various other ignorant twitter nobodies with their hot takes that have no idea what they are talking about and what the stakes and consequences really are here.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 21, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kale posted:

Yeah it's really really bad and not particularly funny or amusing in any way to me personally. It's just incredibly unfortunate turn of history that someone like Mitch McConnell happens to occupy the Majority Leader post at this juncture in history and only cares about his own self interest.

If Schumer were majority leader instead of McConnell you would likely see a process not too dissimilar to the one in the House that Schiff and Nadler oversaw where it's largely about establishing facts and following established procedures while Republicans basically beak off and moan about how unfair they think everything is to them as their contribution to the process, but largely fail to make any case at all one way or another. The Republicans know they have no legal case for establishing a valid legal defense of Trump's abuses of power with regard to Ukraine under a proper trial system by this point in the process so instead they have to try to change rules and try to make the argument that it doesn't matter, which I'm still not sure how it's going to play with the country at large, but somehow I don't think the majority of people are going to look favorably on it at all. Like the actual public at large, not just the Republican hacks and Fox News personalities that never shut up on twitter and their shows who get shared in D&D a lot. Nor the various other ignorant twitter nobodies with their hot takes that have no idea what they are talking about and what the stakes and consequences really are here.

Schumer is a feckless moron so him being the majority leader would provide a whole new set of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

1glitch0 posted:

He doesn't want to be a part of this as his presence might remind people that the Court needs packed to remove regressive influence.