Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roger_Mudd posted:

Lol. Said every person who received a jury summons.

It's frankly astounding in this era of increased financial precarity that anyone can actually show up for jury duty that isn't retired. And of course being 70+ is an auto excuse out

Edit to be clear I didn't care about jury duty until it impacted me which I'm sure is also true for everyone else, but those of us with decent hourly earnings and no PTO/benefits get insanely hosed over by it

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
In a just world, none of Trumps attorneys should get jobs after this embarrassment.

I don't think they're being "unethical," they're just intentionally dumbing themselves down and pretending to be the densest pieces of poo poo in human history. A free market shouldn't let any of these guys off the hook.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Sometimes I go back and reread pages of this thread, and I gotta say there's a lot of great posts itt. Just, abnormally high amount. I really recommend it.

Yes, I do find this fun. It's how you can tell I'm a lawyer and terminally so.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

blarzgh posted:

And before anyone gets the idea that I'm opining on the impeachment, understand:

The fall of the Roman Republic was the result of a ton of factors, including:
- Numerous, costly wars abroad
- Increasing economic inequality
- Political polarization (Equestrian v. Optimate, Romans v. Italians, Farmers v. State)
- The relentless erosion of political moors, and respect for political institutions
- Populist uprising

and it feels like looking in a really lovely mirror right now.
If we're only in the Gracchi phase of the American Republic, then we've got another 100 solid years of "democracy", and then ~300 years of being a world superpower empire to look forward to.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Pook Good Mook posted:

In a just world, none of Trumps attorneys should get jobs after this embarrassment.

I don't think they're being "unethical," they're just intentionally dumbing themselves down and pretending to be the densest pieces of poo poo in human history. A free market shouldn't let any of these guys off the hook.

In a better world everyone would learn that working for Trump is career poison.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Hopefully the Visicanucks will sack DC soon and put us all out of this misery

Our problems are more reminiscent of the end of the Roman Republic than they are the end of the Roman Empire.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

homullus posted:

Our problems are more reminiscent of the end of the Roman Republic than they are the end of the Roman Empire.

If only Caligula had been Caesar’s heir and not Augustus

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ani posted:

If we're only in the Gracchi phase of the American Republic, then we've got another 100 solid years of "democracy", and then ~300 years of being a world superpower empire to look forward to.

True, but it took them 800 years to get to the fall of the republic, and we've done it in a quarter of that time. Plus we've only had the accelerant that is the internet for maybe 10 years of ubiquitous coverage?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blarzgh posted:

True, but it took them 800 years to get to the fall of the republic, and we've done it in a quarter of that time. Plus we've only had the accelerant that is the internet for maybe 10 years of ubiquitous coverage?

Check your timeline, brah, the Republic was founded in 244 AUC and fell in 727 AUC, making it a mere 483 years, although those years varied widely in length.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pook Good Mook posted:

Having a trained ape who will dance for you is actually a very valuable asset, provided you name that ape after a famous attorney

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

blarzgh posted:

And before anyone gets the idea that I'm opining on the impeachment, understand:

The fall of the Roman Republic was the result of a ton of factors, including:
- Numerous, costly wars abroad
- Increasing economic inequality
- Political polarization (Equestrian v. Optimate, Romans v. Italians, Farmers v. State)
- The relentless erosion of political moors, and respect for political institutions
- Populist uprising

and it feels like looking in a really lovely mirror right now.

Shut up pleb

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump's defense is dumb and it isn't an actual defense.

The body that has sole authority to determine what is or isn't an impeachable offense has determined that it was. All of this bluster about "X isn't really impeachable" is inherently flawed because the House has the sole authority to determine what is or isn't. The senate trial is not to determine whether Trump committed an impeachable offense, but rather if he should be removed from office for doing so.

Not only that, and not only has executive privilege not been asserted as opposed to a blanket stonewall, but ask an originalist where in the constitution you can even find the phrase “executive privilege.” (And do so in an extremely Scalia voice.)

The only reason removal is a dead letter is because the Senate will always fail to use it, but they definitely can (and probably should do it at least 3-4 times per century as a matter of checks and balances).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

But but but the will of the voters :qq:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

But but but the will of the voters :qq:

I still wonder how many Republican voters (and Democratic ones for that matter) think that Trump getting impeached will immediately lead to a triumphal procession by HRC as she is enthroned by the backstabbers in the Senate as opposed to Pence being the one to take over.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Today's Daubert hearing was more like a Flaw-bert hearing.

I got nothing. It was kind of dull.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I remembered my history for a bit and if anything was too conservative in my estimate. The world would be better today* if in the 20th century alone Wilson, Harding, probably Coolidge, Hoover, Johnson, Nixon, Reagan, and Clinton were all impeached/removed and in most cases you wouldn’t have to stretch to find a reason.

* There were also grounds to impeach Bush I but it’s not clear the world would be better off with a Quayle presidency. Also a bunch of tankies would probably put early FDR on this list just to get Henry Wallace installed for a couple years.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 22, 2020

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Vote Zombie Eisenhower, 2020

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Why Hoover out of curiosity? 'The Great Humanitarian' they called him, before he was elected.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

sullat posted:

Why Hoover out of curiosity? 'The Great Humanitarian' they called him, before he was elected.

Pure survival when the nation is saddled with a figure mismatched with the Depression. This impeachment would require some other pretext as opposed to most of the others. Ultimately there’s nothing wrong with the legislative branch clawing back the power between branches and sometimes that means showing a one-termer the door a little early. :shrug:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

Pure survival when the nation is saddled with a figure mismatched with the Depression. This impeachment would require some other pretext as opposed to most of the others. Ultimately there’s nothing wrong with the legislative branch clawing back the power between branches and sometimes that means showing a one-termer the door a little early. :shrug:

I had no idea who Hoover's vice president was until a few minutes ago, and so yeah, I'd say impeaching Hoover would have been worth it at least for the first native-American president. Dunno if he would have pushed through Keynesian economics or not though.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Ani posted:

When does Lindsey Graham get beaten to death with a table leg?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/hlcentrists/status/1219684001566248961?s=21

Also all those times you rubbed your lil pasty weenus on some poor girl’s clothed backside after you stumbled back to the dorm completely faded from funneling :kav: all night

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I need to get a stamp to slap on client's piles of emails and poo poo that says "You look lovely in this too." I can count on one hand the amount of times the claim "this is super useful and shows so and so is the worst" actually panned out.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My kid brother used to play intramural basketball against Harvard law student teams. He said they were by far the most competitive but least athletic group of people he had ever met playing sports.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yuns posted:

My kid brother used to play intramural basketball against Harvard law student teams. He said they were by far the most competitive but least athletic group of people he had ever met playing sports.

He should come watch the annual Home Court game between Georgetown profs and members of Congress.

(It raises money for the DC Legal Clinic for the Homeless so everyone should, but goddamn those are some sad basketball games.)

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Eminent Domain posted:

I need to get a stamp to slap on client's piles of emails and poo poo that says "You look lovely in this too." I can count on one hand the amount of times the claim "this is super useful and shows so and so is the worst" actually panned out.

That reminds me of every family law case I ever had.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
In a pay to publish article some lawyer bemoans his client not being admitted to the bar because of $900,000 of student debt, is 59 years old, disabled, and only works part time as a paralegal.

And really buried the lede about her filing 60 frivolous lawsuits.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2020/01/23/court-denies-bar-admission-to-new-lawyer-due-to-student-loans/

Edit: here’s the opinion from Ohio: http://supremecourt.ohio.gov/pdf_viewer/pdf_viewer.aspx?pdf=876632.pdf

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
$900,000 in student debt is remarkable

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

$900,000 in student debt is remarkable

Hers is only $300,000 or so (It doesn't say if she went on to get an LLM). Her husband's must make up the rest.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
There reaches a point where you're basically Constantine chain smoking cigarettes because the end is certain, it's really just a question of when.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump's defense is dumb and it isn't an actual defense.

The body that has sole authority to determine what is or isn't an impeachable offense has determined that it was. All of this bluster about "X isn't really impeachable" is inherently flawed because the House has the sole authority to determine what is or isn't. The senate trial is not to determine whether Trump committed an impeachable offense, but rather if he should be removed from office for doing so.

This is precisely right. Trump's conduct was impeachable because he was impeached for it. So that debate has been settled.

Besides which, all of these erstwhile originalists seem v confused about the fact that "misdemeanor" in the 18th century just meant general bad behavior and not a particular class of minor crime.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Yuns posted:

When I was in computer science grad school I played left field on our IM softball team, because I was one of the few CS grad students with baseball experience and people tend to hit the ball to left field on the reg.

One day, we played a law school team, which quickly jumped out to a several run lead. With a runner on first, a righty stepped up to the plate and mashed one deep to left-center. I broke into a sprint and--thanks to a lack of warning track--slammed into the chain link outfield fence knee-first as I made the catch.

When I noticed my kneecap had been (painfully and disgustingly) dislodged from the front of my leg, i fell to the ground screaming and neglected to get the ball back to the infield. I was later told the runner tagged from first and scored.

Lawyers.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I have had my knee cap realigned more than once and I will likely have a knee replacement before the age of 40 due to playing pointless high school football

Being a lawyer is just continuing that quest for self inflicted pain

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Kennel posted:

1997 Viivi & Wagner

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EwokEntourage posted:

I have had my knee cap realigned more than once and I will likely have a knee replacement before the age of 40 due to playing pointless high school football

Being a lawyer is just continuing that quest for self inflicted pain

I'm so glad I hosed up my knee the summer before Freshman year, avoiding this problem.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Lots of olds itt (my knee hurts)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Man, this case against the former minister of justice's girlfriend is just :suspense:

To recap, the (at the time) sitting minister of justice's girlfriend attempted to frame a theater production that had made a play about authoritarian assholes (includin moj) for threats against the minister and other officials, including making threatening letters, damaging their house, tagging their own property, badly attempting to set their car on fire.

Seeing as this was threats against a member of government, the police poured massive amounts of resources into the case, the prime minister went national about the evils of free speech and threatening to shut down the theater.

Police couldn't find poo poo. They were stumped. They set up cameras, surveiled the poo poo out of people, spent millions. The party surrogates and the minister and his girlfriend criticized the police publicly for incompetence.

Turned out, she staged the whole thing. Badly. Once video surveillance couldn't find perps, they looked inside the house and yeah.

So the minister of justice got resigned, she's charged now and the case is coming up. The charge? Obstruction, frameup, and attack on the highest state authority which is basically the biggest bitch slap of all threat statutes. Carries a max of 10 years in a 21 year prison sentence limit society. loving ouch.

This is gonna be good. Being rich and white helps a lot less over here.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
When everyone is rich and white it kinda levels the playing field.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
True. Though I will say Oslo west is still next level rich and white, like a goddamned cheese cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

True. Though I will say Oslo west is still next level rich and white, like a goddamned cheese cake.

Lol I like “cheesecake” as a derogatory term...rich, white, and dense