Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

I'm not sure how you have things setup, but allowing C+P between Intune policy managed apps is a happy compromise. Data stays secure, user can copy and paste in managed apps.

Yeah the times I've seen this cause problems is when people can copy and paste between Word and Outlook but the company doesn't have an agreed standard IM service so people are trying to paste street addresses into WhatsApp and getting frustrated. If you cover that sort of thing off then it's unlikely that anybody will really notice the restrictions are even in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Help me out here, what's the security benefit of preventing copy and paste on a mobile device? I'm not seeing the use case.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Help me out here, what's the security benefit of preventing copy and paste on a mobile device? I'm not seeing the use case.

Infosec are weirdos?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I imagine it's some half hearted attempt at preventing data exfiltration since forwarding an email will leave a record.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

I imagine it's some half hearted attempt at preventing data exfiltration since forwarding an email will leave a record.

casual data exfil.
not serious or determined exfil.
at a cost of making everyone's life difficult

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My experience is that draconian technical controls are usually a half measure for improperly scoped access controls of the data itself.

I fully recognize that proper access control and auditing is hard and it's easier just to lock down every endpoint and call it a day and a lot of times other people are calling the shots which make the former harder. It doesn't change the fact that scope should be the first thing considered with security policy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's probably not bad to consider that if something can be viewed then it can be copied, and focus your efforts on preventing sensitive data from being in Outlook in the first place, rights manage contract documents etc. It's probably only a feature that still exists because an MDM put it in there once and now all the vendors do it so that Gartner give them a nice score.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
I just upload the screenshots to a 3rd party image to text provider.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I use a second phone to take pictures of my work phone. Eat a dick infosec

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NPR Journalizard posted:

My first account was in the previous millennium :ohdear:

Old people high 5

I started reading this forum in 99 while in college, joined a few months before the fee actually started. I turn 40 this year. Goddamn bizarre when I think about it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My hospital system was in Chapter 11 and the buyer hosed us. They had to dump the one I'm based at. They've pretty much wound down operations and IT is doing inventory.

God this whole thing is pissing me off. From how it happened to the complete lack of any callbacks. I knew this was going to happen for a while now, still can't get any one to talk to me. Even my so-called mentors in infosec that still work here don't pick up the phone or return my calls. I'm not useful to them so I don't matter anymore.

My college degree doesn't mean poo poo.
My experience doesn't mean poo poo.
My work history doesn't mean poo poo.
My connections don't mean poo poo.

They've been having job fairs here all week and they tell us basically to gently caress off because we're not RNs. One "IT" recruiter came in and despite us coming in with degrees and sometimes decades of experience, this idiot still wants CompTIA certs and won't hear of anything else. I waited 90 minutes in the cold to talk to this dipshit. I wanted to jump over the table and beat him down right there in the conference room. I'm not even going to go in there anymore because it's always a total waste of time.

I'm sick of being lied to. It's not going to be ok. My entire office has been applying to poo poo for over a month and everyone is still here.

I can't even self medicate with weed anymore because of the loving drug testing.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Let’s go be ice road truckers together

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Can I come

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

jaegerx posted:

I use a second phone to take pictures of my work phone. Eat a dick infosec

I used my personal phone to take a picture of an error message on my work phone (screenshotting disabled)

Then I pasted it in a word doc and emailed it to our IT dept.

I constantly thought of this thread as I did it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did you fax it to yourself and scan it back in and send a link to the image as QR code, though?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks Ants posted:

Did you fax it to yourself and scan it back in and send a link to the image as QR code, though?

Honestly crossed my mind to do something in that vein - scanning the work phone on my flatbed scanner would have been the easiest option but it unfortunately happened during the 6 month period where we weren't able to install our scanners due to 'security issues'

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sickening posted:

If I stopped implementing policies like this because there was a narrow/tedious work around how many security policies would I have left?

Well, you'd be left with those that actually work :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Disabling copy/paste in Outlook on mobile reminds me of people disabling access to the right-click context menu on their Geocities websites.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're not getting Mario Paint involved at some point how do you possibly stand having such low productivity?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

DelphiAegis posted:

Probably unplugging a coworkers' sata cable.

(I'm pretty sure that wasn't him, but the story was still funny.)

Last time I was updated, he is working for some for-profit Edu in Arizona. ( He was in my neck of the woods during CorvetteFisher / DaF days ). Don't ask me how I know.

Also oh god: :regd07:

ptier fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 21, 2020

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Proteus Jones posted:

It really isn't. Sisyphus has it easy in comparison to trying to get senior management to approve a roll back of an inane security policy even with the backing of the security team. It usually boils down to being asked to prove a negative. "Do you have any evidence that X can never be used to compromise our company? Hmmm? Can you?"

I just finished dealing with an audit that did basically this. Every time we got to the "okay this is impossible" they would just word it slightly differently and be all "well can you prove it now?"

Morons, the lot of them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Semi-:yotj:

New title, getting (back) off of helpdesk, but pretty much no raise. Whatever, I think not being on helpdesk is worth it for the time being and it's an internal transfer so it's not like I'm going to have to learn a bunch of new stuff.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If the owner/manager of the LinkedIn group for SH/SC is reading this ... you've allowed in a bunch of jokers who requested group invite but do not appear to be related to this forum at all. :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm a part of two different forums related linked in groups and they're both dead. I kind of wish we had a well moderated active/current group but don't have the energy to do it myself.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The last thing I want is my posts here connected to my LinkedIn good lord

Though I will plug the slack channel again: https://join.slack.com/t/somethinga...MTBmZDU4OTU0MTE

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That would actually be a nightmare, oh god.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Built in minecraft?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Built in minecraft?

presented as a youtube video where the player flips a bunch of redstone switches, triggers some dynamite, and the explosions cause the blocks to order themselves as the qr code

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Iron Rose posted:

The last thing I want is my posts here connected to my LinkedIn good lord

Did that start from an old the A Ticket Came In Thread? I seem to recall it was setup and then everyone was like, "oh...so in order for me to join you see my full name and place of employment....no thank you".

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
This Goldmined beauty for the uninformed.

quote:

Backpedaling...
it's not a scan but just a picture of the back of a camera displaying the picture that we need within a word doc that had been zipped up using winrar and saved as a .txt file somehow instead of a .doc

I extracted images from .txt file for you all to enjoy

stonefish posted:

http://users.on.net/~luchich/glorious%20fuckup.mpq

uncurable mlady posted:

Captain Capacitor posted:

Captain Capacitor posted:

This is where the we code takes you.
http://i.imgur.com/5otXf.jpg

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 21, 2020

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I'm having flashbacks to groverhaus.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

We budgeted $5k for "demo" computers. We normally order HP Elitebooks for everyone. Any new/noteworthy laptops that would be worth asking for? We bought the Surface Pro 6 last year.

If anyone cares I ordered an HP Elite Dragonfly

Going to be testing it along side this dock.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

I care. Most specifically about how the screen performs. I computer everywhere, but my biggest pet peeves are a screen that isn't bright enough to melt my retinas and a screen that reflects a shitton of light so that it's unreadable in anything but a dark cave.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

I've been using the Dragonfly notebook for about a month now.

The screen is eye searingly bright but you can change the brightnes so nbd.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Elite Dragonfly looks great but HP Sure View just seems to make the viewing angles complete poo poo and isn't always an option, and they seem allergic to putting high DPI displays on their business notebooks. I was eyeing up an Elitebook 830 G6 but the display doesn't go above 1920x1080 so I'm pretty sure the Dell XPS 9300 is my next machine.

Lenovo also seem to hate high DPI displays.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 21, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
To be fair, after hearing so many people bitch about application scaling not working well (or at all) on Surfaces or the 4k monitors we got, I can't say that I blame them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh yeah I would be very careful at what I specced for people to get as a standard laptop because they are going to complain endlessly if they need to log out/log in to get certain apps to scale nicely, but I really like my current XPS 13 display and don't want to go backwards.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Calls to a certain vendor started failing today from a 2008 r2 server (slated to be replaced next week). After much troubleshooting it was discovered that the vendor was rejecting our TLS 1.0-based connections.

A. Not sure why this server was still using TLS 1.0
B. The vendor swears this has been deprecated on their end for a while
C. If that’s the case, why the hell did it finally act up now?

We put in the registry fix for this and it started working again, but we’re still wondering wtf happened. I suspect they never actually disabled accepting 1.0 connections in their end when the deadline hit until someone noticed it this morning. Looking back through emails we talked to them about the TLS deadline and required changes back in 2018. Just confusion all around.

Edit: I guess I will also be coming through last weeks security updates for anything that could have reset these values.

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 22, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

PBS posted:

I'm having flashbacks to groverhaus.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

The perfectly placed window at the bottom of the staircase, just waiting for someone to trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

He is probably a certified VMware expert and being the brilliant rear end in a top hat stereotype somewhere.

Didn’t he have the top of the line VMware certification and not even past the age of twenty five?

Smart dude but I feel awful for his coworkers, managers and everyone else in his presence.