Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Hello ring fit thread

Planks and mountain climbers are the devil

That is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Does anyone know how to see online friend's rankings? I'm trying to use one of my friends as motivation, but the only records I can see are my wife and I in the acquaintances ranking, or everyone else born in 1987. My friends has the game and it's actively using it every day and I want to compare stats with him.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
got this game out of a desire to do something vaguely useful with christmas money, have been playing it for about a week now. Is fun, despite previously having literally never enjoyed exercising in my life

DemoneeHo posted:

Hello ring fit thread

Planks and mountain climbers are the devil

That is all
I equipped planks to my fit bar, used them in the next battle, and then immediately unequipped planks.

I don't know if I was doing them wrong or if they just suck rear end, but spine no likey

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Are you curving your lower back by any chance? Planks should definitely not be felt in the spine like that.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 8, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The planks are weird because you are actually doing dolphin pose... if you’ve never done yoga I could understand it being tough. You’re basically pushing yourself from Forearm plank up into dolphin which is just down dog but on your forearms with your hands clasped. Push your butt up and back but it shouldn’t put any pressure on your spine or low back. If it is, try to keep your lower back straight.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It’s probably my leg strap position but I have a really hard time getting planks and mountain climbers to count, which is a shame because normally I like those exercises. If I put my leg strap too low it just slides even further down though :(

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I know it’s hard but any time you find a difficult exercise, you really should keep that thing slotted for a bit until you at least get your body used to it. Part of me wishes the game could know which exercises you find hard and weight damage or XP more on them. For instance, boat pose was 100% impossible for me right away but day 2 of it was simply hard and afterward it became much easier since I got the form right and became used to the movement. It literally felt impossible the first time I tried.

I still hate mountain climbers and planks in this game though they’re at least doable now.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
We discovered that it lets you do planks on your knees, if not for great damage. Might let you practice them bit by bit.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I can never get it to recognize my starting position for planks unless I put my legs all the way on the ground. If I'm understanding it right, you're supposed to be balanced on your forearms and toes and off the ground with the rest of your body, but I literally have to fall flat on the ground before it does the little countdown to let me start.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tbh I think I might do some tutorial videos for the harder moves in this game since it seems to be the same three or four that are confusing people. Ugh that means I have to unlock mountain climbers drat!!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

BobTheJanitor posted:

I can never get it to recognize my starting position for planks unless I put my legs all the way on the ground. If I'm understanding it right, you're supposed to be balanced on your forearms and toes and off the ground with the rest of your body, but I literally have to fall flat on the ground before it does the little countdown to let me start.

The game is waiting for you to keep your leg still, if it's moving too much it won't start the countdown because that's how it calibrates what your starting position is

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How is there no DLC yet. I want more moves Nintendo. :mad:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Give me an archery minigame with bow pull.

Beaten round one the plot. Is there a payoff to completing all the worlds 100%?

Overall, RFA's kinda like an offspring of Wii Fit and Dragon Quest Swords.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just hand squeezed 8 real lemons and let me tell you folks, smoothie crafting did not prepare me for this

derra
Dec 29, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Beaten round one the plot. Is there a payoff to completing all the worlds 100%?

Not that I've seen, unless the costume I got was for 100% only.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

derra posted:

Not that I've seen, unless the costume I got was for 100% only.
The dragon outfit? That's just for starting the NG+.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I was going through the thread and saw that some people were adding their friend codes. Feel free to add me. It'll either keep me motivated or make me quit from realizing I'm never going to get the sick gainz that y'all have.

SW-2507-2988-9383

derra
Dec 29, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

The dragon outfit? That's just for starting the NG+.

I had 100% going into NG+ so I wasn't sure if it was necessary to get it. Good to know.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A plurality or my human interaction has been my Dad hectoring me about exercise, but my attempts never lasted long. So I asked for this for Chistmas to trick my sad sack brain into doing it. I’m still having a bit of a struggle motivating myself to use it.

I know the point of this game is just to get moving, that there’s no one-size-fits-all plan, and that you have to tell of what you want to do and when you want to quit or keep going because it’s a dumb computer than can’t see you. But it seems kind of weird how you unlock exercises in the adventure and only slots six at a time. Also how sets end when you kill the monsters you’re targeting. I’ve had a few instances where I whittled down the monsters such that one rep of a new set killed them.

What does it mean when a monster gets tired?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

But it seems kind of weird how you unlock exercises in the adventure and only slots six at a time. Also how sets end when you kill the monsters you’re targeting. I’ve had a few instances where I whittled down the monsters such that one rep of a new set killed them.

It might help to know that some of this gets addressed. The sets ending the moment a monster dies is the main complaint that comes up, but you will unlock more slots over time. Additionally, the routes themselves start getting stage hazards that have to be navigated with ab crunches or squats, so it's not like you're going to never do a squat again after you remove that blue skill. There's a lot of squatting.

quote:

What does it mean when a monster gets tired?

Nothing in particular. Some monsters just don't attack every turn. (I'm pretty sure the game fudges some of its numbers to coax you forwards.)

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Stelas posted:

it's not like you're going to never do a squat again after you remove that blue skill. There's a lot of squatting.

God yes there is. One day I decided I was going to do a run avoiding leg skills, because my legs were still screaming from the previous session. So I went to fight Dragaux and it just so happened to be the level that was nothing but a ton of jump pads powered by squats before you got to him. Ughhhhhhhhhh

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

God yes there is. One day I decided I was going to do a run avoiding leg skills, because my legs were still screaming from the previous session. So I went to fight Dragaux and it just so happened to be the level that was nothing but a ton of jump pads powered by squats before you got to him. Ughhhhhhhhhh

It took me a couple tries to realize that those pads are 'squat and wait until it goes down' rather than 'it goes down based on how low you squat'. That hurt.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Those squat pads are what got me to quit playing because they ruined my knees so bad, I'm only just starting to recover after about 3 weeks of not playing.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

njsykora posted:

Those squat pads are what got me to quit playing because they ruined my knees so bad, I'm only just starting to recover after about 3 weeks of not playing.

After nearly giving up, I figured out that it will detect a squat if you just sit down on a chair. Which was how I ended up finishing off that level, because drat. Also, there are options to bypass using certain skill types entirely, for people who can't use certain parts of their body for whatever reason. You can completely turn off leg usage, if needed.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I decided to slot in all the moves that I have problems with (Planks, mountain climber and boat pose) and go slumming in low level tracks.
I can do planks and mountain climber kinda ok after figuring out my starting pose but god drat, boat pose, goddamn.
I guess my abs need more work.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yeah some of those moves are so rough that I almost want to practice them randomly outside the game so they stop killing me. But then I'd just be exercising. And without an animated sapient ring shouting at me, I'm not sure I could handle that.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Never fear! There's a quick play mode on the main menu that has all the moves unlocked.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me til the end of World 11 to get the Guru Andma joke. And I hate it. UGH.

World 12 is the last Ring ability, y/n?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yes

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

It took me til the end of World 11 to get the Guru Andma joke. And I hate it. UGH.

?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Guru Andma, Guruandma, Grandma

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
What's the point of 'change fit skill color' smoothies? Are there multi-color skills later on? I'm on World 7.

I ask because I'm sitting on a ton of them. But there's this adorable shirt I want to wear (that also apparently makes jogging and knee lifts easier) that matches well with the rest of my sweaty ensemble and I kind of want to sell them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Airspace posted:

What's the point of 'change fit skill color' smoothies? Are there multi-color skills later on? I'm on World 7.

Later on you'll unlock a skill tree, including skills like '% chance to take another turn after doing a blue skill'. There's also smoothies to boost power of certain attack types, which you should have run into by now. Just lets you streamline those a bit, if you want.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I always assumed it was for situations like 'my legs are jello today so I will slot in all arm skills and color change them to match weaknesses'.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BobTheJanitor posted:

I always assumed it was for situations like 'my legs are jello today so I will slot in all arm skills and color change them to match weaknesses'.

Yeah basically this. Also, the ones that change all skills to one color AND boost skills of that color let you get an attack boost on all of your attack skills with one smoothie.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
It's for when you want to target a specific enemy weakness and your stronger attacks are a different color. For example, the level 2 front press is much more powerful than most multi target attacks so you drink a smoothie and then use it against different color enemies for more damage.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 23, 2020

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I've only started world 3 and am having some serious wrist pain. I think its tendonitis that was beginning to be bothersome, but working with the ringcon has made it exponentially worse. Has anyone else encountered that? Would a brace of sorts help, or am I resigned to avoiding any pushing on the ring?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Oyster posted:

I've only started world 3 and am having some serious wrist pain. I think its tendonitis that was beginning to be bothersome, but working with the ringcon has made it exponentially worse. Has anyone else encountered that? Would a brace of sorts help, or am I resigned to avoiding any pushing on the ring?

I would recommend talking to a medical professional.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oyster posted:

You probably have a wrist sprain at the very least. I had one a few years back, it takes a while to heal but you can speed it up with some specific stretches. 100% go talk to your doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

organburner posted:

I would recommend talking to a medical professional.

I forgot to add that I live in America and can't afford my deductible for the next 6 months.

Finished world 3 doing a whole lotta squats. Good for building up to the wide ones, I hope.