Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm getting OnePlus'd 😑 One is the already discussed thing, but it's just so dumb:

Now apparently USB C headphones can be fiddly: I listened to a couple hours of music with my Pixel USB-C buds just fine, then plugged the phone in to charge for 15 minutes, and now it doesn't recognize the headphones. I only spent a minute googling it, but apparently this may happen when you plug a OnePlus into a Pixel charger, and will get fixed if you plug it into another charger (though didn't fix itself when I plugged it into my laptop for a minute with a USB C-C cable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah my pixel 4xl is... adequate. Not face melting good, and probably not worth the price. I'm okay with it because I came from a Nexus 6p so there's definite upgrades, but I'd be pissed if I came from a 3 and paid full price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah my pixel 4xl is... adequate. Not face melting good, and probably not worth the price. I'm okay with it because I came from a Nexus 6p so there's definite upgrades, but I'd be pissed if I came from a 3 and paid full price.

The thing is, I also have a Note 10+ and a OnePlus 7 Pro and they are also...adequate.

I'm not even sure what face melting good for phones is anymore. They're all fast and work well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah, when I upgraded from an OG Pixel XL, I looked at the specs for the 4 and the 3a, and decided it wasn't really worth the extra cost and went with the 3a XL. The 3a having a headphone jack really went a long way for me.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

sourdough posted:

I listened to a couple hours of music with my Pixel USB-C buds just fine,

How are these, anyway? I've already got a nice set of Bluetooth cans, but I'd like something more discreet and without a battery to be topped-off.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

If you're upgrading flagship phones annually, you know what you're getting into.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

spincube posted:

How are these, anyway? I've already got a nice set of Bluetooth cans, but I'd like something more discreet and without a battery to be topped-off.

I like the Assistant button (especially tapping to have your notifications read to you). I found them comfortable. They let in outside sound, which I considered a plus letting me hear my surroundings. They don't sit super securely, so I can't use them while on the elliptical.

Mine broke kinda quickly. The left ear has no more bass. I got a One Plus set as a replacement, which are more traditional. For some reason, double/triple tap to skip/rewind doesn't work on my pair. My big issue is that the tips fall off easily and I'm constantly looking for a missing one or picking it out of my ear canal (fun!). But, $30.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My P4XL has been far and away my favorite phone of all time, but I know I'm an outlier. The fingerprint readers on my 6P, Pixel, and Pixel 3 were all varying degrees of okay (getting noticeably better with each device, while still never being great), but a lot of that is due to me having gloves a lot of the time. Face unlock is basically better for my use case 100% of the time and, with the exception of when I'm laying on my side in bed, it just works without me having to even think about it. The camera is fantastic and I've never found myself worried about the battery life. Losing the headphone jack had no impact on me, since I've been using BT for all my audio listening needs for a few years now, and I would probably be fine losing the USB-C jack too ever since getting wireless pads for my home/office/car. All of that said, I basically got mine for free and wouldn't have bothered upgrading from the P3 had that not been the case. Because of that, I think for most people the P3a/P3aXL are the best options. I recently got a friend on a P3a (coming from a Moto G5+) and she's loving it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

spincube posted:

I've had absolutely no problems with them, but am also not at all a headphone snob. I use them or some basic Apple ones that came with my last iPhone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How's OnePlus' Android skin? If Samsung is going to serve me another Exynos, I'm considering trying something else. The Snapdragon modems idle way better in bad signal scenarios, whereas the Exynos ones run down my battery. To the point of getting warm in my pocket.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

How's OnePlus' Android skin?

It's extremely google with just a handful of actually tasteful changes here or there you can either use or turn off. I honestly can't tell much of a difference in look/feel (other than speed) between my og pixel and the 7t

like turning off dumb space wasting poo poo in the notification bar eg the nfc and bt icons which i always need on but dont give two shits about knowing they are on because i never turn them off.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's extremely google with just a handful of actually tasteful changes here or there you can either use or turn off. I honestly can't tell much of a difference in look/feel (other than speed) between my og pixel and the 7t

This is my experience so far too. Even has Google assistant feed/whatever it's called to the left on the launcher.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sourdough posted:

This is my experience so far too. Even has Google assistant feed/whatever it's called to the left on the launcher.

weirdly enough i went with the "shelf" thing and keep my agenda and health widgits tucked into and put the Google Assistant/Feed on a tray icon. 100% because i can't stand having wallpapers stretched to fit multiple desktops.

me irl :shepface:

this is also faster one handed this way because the phone is so gently caress off tall that instead of left swiping and tapping the search bar (which i can no longer reach on the 7t) i just tap the G icon then tap search.

edit: I'm still not totally over the loss of 3.5mm though. Granted i splurged a little and got some anker liberty 2's and they sound great, work great etc nothing beats the simplicity of just jamming some cheap 10$ sony buds into a dedicated jack and not carrying what happens to them. I'm not physical keyboard guy or anything but BT only or shared with the power socket is a stupid trend and I hate it.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 22, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Great timing on the Pixel 4 followups. I'm still on my original Pixel XL and the battery is obviously turning a corner though remarkably the phone still works perfectly. I've flirted with a lot of options for replacing it but am not enthusiastic about any of them.

I was considering an iPhone but my wife got one to replace her busted Pixel 2 and CarPlay alone make that a hard pass even if the rest of the device seems fine. I'll never complain about Android Auto again.

I keep thinking about the Pixel 3aXL which seems fine, I guess. I have no need for a headphone jack but wouldn't mind some Qi charging. While I don't have any preference between face unlock or fingerprint the slow adoption of the biometric API certainly discourages being an early adopter. On the other hand the Pixel 4a comes out in four months but maybe no XL?

I'd probably have already picked up a Pixel 4 if the orange 64GB version was available anywhere but I know it makes sense to both wait for it to return and for the huge discount that comes when the 4a comes in May. I neither trust Qualcomm to make next year's chips work nor my Pixel XL's battery to last so I have to pick a phone soon but I can't get excited about any of them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I don't use the shelf at all and launch Google Assistant by holding down the power button for half a second on my OP6T.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sourdough posted:

It only has that if you have a carrier model. The unlocked ones don't.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really like my Pixel 4 XL. To me the battery life seems fantastic, even coming from a 2 XL. The face unlock is much better now that I have swipe to unlock turned on. Before that it was kind of driving me crazy not being able to easily see notifications without unlocking. I'm not sure if it's significantly nicer than fingerprint, but I will say it's nice being able to easily unlock it when I get out of the shower or when wearing gloves.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

For those who have a OnePlus 7T, what cases and/or screen protectors are you using? Just got one myself.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

anakha posted:

For those who have a OnePlus 7T, what cases and/or screen protectors are you using? Just got one myself.

The clear case it comes with, and None

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Great timing on the Pixel 4 followups. I'm still on my original Pixel XL and the battery is obviously turning a corner though remarkably the phone still works perfectly. I've flirted with a lot of options for replacing it but am not enthusiastic about any of them.

I was considering an iPhone but my wife got one to replace her busted Pixel 2 and CarPlay alone make that a hard pass even if the rest of the device seems fine. I'll never complain about Android Auto again.

I keep thinking about the Pixel 3aXL which seems fine, I guess. I have no need for a headphone jack but wouldn't mind some Qi charging. While I don't have any preference between face unlock or fingerprint the slow adoption of the biometric API certainly discourages being an early adopter. On the other hand the Pixel 4a comes out in four months but maybe no XL?

I'd probably have already picked up a Pixel 4 if the orange 64GB version was available anywhere but I know it makes sense to both wait for it to return and for the huge discount that comes when the 4a comes in May. I neither trust Qualcomm to make next year's chips work nor my Pixel XL's battery to last so I have to pick a phone soon but I can't get excited about any of them.

FWIW, I went form OG Pixel XL to 3aXL.

On paper, the 3aXL isn't too much faster than a PXL, but that's compared to a new PXL. My 3aXL is significantly faster/smoother compared to my PXL side by side.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

anakha posted:

I was using the sandstone case before switching to a dbrand skin. No screen protector, I never use those. The stock one got scratched like two weeks into owning the phone and I was so happy to rip it off

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FistEnergy posted:

The clear case it comes with, and None

This

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I went form OG Pixel XL to 3aXL.

On paper, the 3aXL isn't too much faster than a PXL, but that's compared to a new PXL. My 3aXL is significantly faster/smoother compared to my PXL side by side.

I'm not unhappy with the speed of my Pixel XL. The things that bum me out about the 3aXL is that it's a year old already, comes in a meh light purple instead of a cool color like my Really Blue XL or the orange P4, and the feeling that if I wait long enough I can get the Pixel 4 for close enough to the same price that it would be silly to compromise.

Besides if the 4a comes out and the rumors of no XL version are true, I'm sure that will be the best time to pick up a 3aXL or a 4 so no reason to rush.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

Usual recommendations here are the Pixel 3a (for good photos), the Nokia 6.1 (or 6.2 or 7.2 for a cheap phone with stock Android), and the Moto G 7 (cheap and good, but updates are a bit less likely). Hope that helps!

It really does thanks a lot!

Now to figure out if I should wait around for the black friday prices to circle around again or if I just say gently caress it and buy now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Besides if the 4a comes out and the rumors of no XL version are true, I'm sure that will be the best time to pick up a 3aXL or a 4 so no reason to rush.

That rumor is basically debunked by AOSP itself.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-2020-code-names-snapdragon-765-snapdragon-730/

There are three devices in AOSP with fish names, one has an LTE only SoC and the other two are LTE and 5G. However, one of the three is most likely an internal device and not a phone.

At this point, there will probably be a 4a with LTE only and a 4a XL with LTE and 5G.

Also the guy who claimed that "no 4a XL" rumor has never leaked anything before and has absolutely nothing to back up his claims.

Oh and the Pixel Buds 2 got registered with the Bluetooth SIG yesterday so they'll probably launch alongside the Pixel 4a phones.

https://9to5google.com/2020/01/20/google-pixel-buds-2020-bluetooth-sig/

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 22, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah I've heard all of that too but I'd be equally uninterested in a 5G device. Also they speculate that there will be 4a and 4aXL "because that's always how it's been" but then go on to speculate that the XL version will have features the non-XL lacks, you know, like it's never been. Why is it more likely that there's a regular and XL version with different specs rather than a single device with or without 5G?

Still, none of this changes the fact that around the time of the 4a launch will be the best time to buy a 3a or 4.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

Still, none of this changes the fact that around the time of the 4a launch will be the best time to buy a 3a or 4.

I'm assuming that the best time to buy a 4a would be about three weeks after it launches?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Instead of a 4a and 4a XL there could just as easily be an unlocked LTE 4a and then a 5g 4a for partners like T-Mobile. That seems more likely than then putting different capabilities in different sizes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ok, so DeX is pretty loving cool. Especially on a gently caress-off huge 4k monitor where I can have a ton of apps open at once.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I'm assuming that the best time to buy a 4a would be about three weeks after it launches?

I don't know that the 3a line ever really got a big discount until close to the holidays, maybe someone else remembers one I'm forgetting but I thought prices were steady up until Q4. If I was interested I'd have no qualms about buying on launch day.

bull3964 posted:

Instead of a 4a and 4a XL there could just as easily be an unlocked LTE 4a and then a 5g 4a for partners like T-Mobile. That seems more likely than then putting different capabilities in different sizes.

This is my pet theory as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a pretty bizarre issue with my Google Pixel 1 since updating to Android 10 last week.

I cannot take photos with the default app any longer. I Googled the issue and it started happening to a lot of people in Android 10. Some said changing the permissions for the Camera and Photo apps fixed it for them. Some said clearing the cache and data of both apps fixed it. I tried all that, even uninstalling both apps updates, then updating them again, to no avail. I take a photo, it looks like it's applying HDR, then the photo disappears. It never shows up in the Photos app and the little circle for recent photos is gray and clicking it does nothing.

I've narrowed it down to the Camera app two ways. One: I downloaded a different camera app from the Play Store and it worked just fine. This proves it is the default Camera app and not the Photos app.

Two: someone suggested it could be "scoped storage", which is new to Android 10, and the default Camera app for some reason not having the proper write permissions. I confirmed this with the fact that the default Camera app refuses to save any of my settings. I can turn off HDR, turn off camera sounds, turn off flash etc but as soon as I exit and reenter the default Camera app, those settings are gone.

I'm using the latest version of Android 10 for my phone and not some wacky custom ROM.

Supposedly there's a way to disable scoped storage per app with the following command:

adb shell cmd appops set your-package-name android:legacy_storage allow

The only problem is I have no idea what I'm supposed to type in the "your-package-name" field for both the default Camera app and the Photos app. Does anybody know what those are?

It's pretty stupid I have to do this but I just need this phone to last a few more months so I'd rather janitor it than factory reset it or something (which might not even fix it anyway).

Any info on the "package name" or even another fix for this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 22, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If in Solid Explorer you select Applications > System Apps from the sidebar and select the apps in question you'll get the package name for any system app.

Camera is com.google.android.GoogleCamera
Phots is com.google.android.apps.photos

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

If in Solid Explorer you select Applications > System Apps from the sidebar and select the apps in question you'll get the package name for any system app.

Camera is com.google.android.GoogleCamera
Phots is com.google.android.apps.photos

Thank you!

I tried that and unfortunately it didn't work. It definitely has something to do with write permissions for the camera app, though. As mentioned, if I turn off the flash, leave the app, then come back, flash is turned back on.

I know how to set write permissions for files and folders, but I have no idea how to give the app itself write permissions. Is that even a thing I can do? (Besides having it set to "on" in permission settings of course)

edit: I would just say screw it and use a 3rd party camera app but 1) I'd really like to know why this happened and if it's fixable and 2) I think using 3rd party camera apps might mean I'd lose unlimited photo backups and 3) I can't get the 3rd party camera app to open when the phone is locked (it always opens the broken Camera app)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 22, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Ok, so DeX is pretty loving cool. Especially on a gently caress-off huge 4k monitor where I can have a ton of apps open at once.

I looked into this because i never heard of it and it looks neat, but is there a Pixel4/android 10 equivalent? I checked out Maru but that seems to have quietly died last year. If so I assume all you need is a USB c -> HDMI connector?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Scaramouche posted:

I looked into this because i never heard of it and it looks neat, but is there a Pixel4/android 10 equivalent? I checked out Maru but that seems to have quietly died last year. If so I assume all you need is a USB c -> HDMI connector?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It's a Samsung thing and I'm running it with my Note 10+.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It's a Samsung thing and I'm running it with my Note 10+.

Not phone related but I just ordered a Tab S6 for work and I'm really stoked to try this out

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So I bought a "brand new" "sealed" Galaxy s8+ off ebay, the box says Android 7, but the phone was preinstalled with Android 9 with a security update date of 2019, does this mean it was refurbished? I already returned it for other reasons but I was just curious if I should avoid that seller in the future.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah I figured that out pretty quick, was wondering if there was an android general alternative that'll work on Pixel 4.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I'm not unhappy with the speed of my Pixel XL.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that the main reason always thrown about for not upgrading from an OG Pixel to a Pixel 3a is not actually much of a reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So apparently Google broke Gmail notifications for a month and I didn't notice until it updated overnight and flooded me with notifications. None of the emails were critical but at least a couple would have been useful if I had seen them on time. Thanks Google.