Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

you will end up writing lots of YAML. its not necessarily a bad thing. devops/SRE money is also pretty good these days, esp compared to dev roles (ive seen people paying significantly more).
Most of my SRE engineering work is in various config languages, design docs, and training others rather than "proper" programming. But I've somewhat chosen that path, other SREs get far more coding done (though they'd get about twice as much coding if they were in a "pure" software engineering role).

quote:

what sort of on-call pay is considered reasonable? i get ~1 day's pay for doing 1 (week-long) shift of on-call. it sure doesn't feel like much
This depends a lot on the health of the organization and how much they respect you. For comparison, Google has two tiers of on-call:

1) 30-minute expected response time (as in, within 30 minutes you're in front of a working computer/internet starting to work on the problem). Pay is 1/3 of an hour of comp-time for every non-business hour you're oncall. Typically done in a continuous (24 h/day) multi-day shift, with <1 page per day.

2) 5-minute expected response time (ie no swimming or going to the movies without someone to cover). Pay is 2/3 of an hour. Typically done in a series of 12 hour shifts with a second team in another time zone handling the overnight. ~2 pages per shift; any more and the service is considered unhealthy. A minimum of 6-8 people per time zone are required, meaning you'll go oncall a few days once every few weeks, or for a whole week once every other month.

Comp-time can be converted to cash or bonus vacation days. For both tier 1 and 2 a single weekend day spent oncall = 8 hours of comp time, or an entire vacation day. I love oncall and try to max it out (80 hours comp time == 2 weeks bonus vacation/pay, every quarter)

Most companies are far less reasonable than this though. Make sure they tell you what sort of oncall incentive is offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

am i understanding you're paid less for being on call, or is it pay in addition?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
that sounds pretty reasonable

i get ~1/15th of my hourly pay for on call, pretty comparable to your first scenario, so lmao owned i guess

oh and our rotations are way worse because we are understaffed!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boiled Water posted:

am i understanding you're paid less for being on call, or is it pay in addition?

On-call pay is in addition to your regular salary, at least for the hours where you're not otherwise at work.

For the hours where you are at work, I'm not sure whether you still get something extra or if it's just considered part of your regular duties. I haven't been on-call in half a decade.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I never got paid extra for on-call, but the job's base salary is high enough that I don't really complain.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

how common is it for devs to be expected to provide 24/7 support on their product

I used to manage a team that supported software at GE Healthcare used 24x7 by hospitals, so about as 24x7 as it gets

how it worked there was there would be support associates on call for 2nd and 3rd shift. when a call came in, if the support associate couldn’t solve it they would reach out to me, and I would coordinate appropriate resources. sometimes it was the hospitals implementation person, sometimes it was a higher-up support associate, like an architect, sometimes it was a developer, really depended on the situation.

so, if the issue was deemed to be serious enough that it needed a fix NOW, or much more often, someone to review code NOW so that support could determine if this was a legit bug or something client-side, then engineers would be brought in to do so, any time of day or night

at GE Healthcare our support associates got a base oncall pay rate, then a per-call fixed amount, then a 1.5x rate that kicked in If they were on the call for more than an hour.

so, what I’m saying is yeah, depending on the software you make, it is very normal for devs to be oncall. a friend of mine is a software dev, works for a financial bigco and supports their legacy cobol software. another 24x7 gig.

random fart apps? tell them to gently caress off, no oncall. mission critical apps used by 24x7 operations? yeah, devs are oncall

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 21, 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but what if someone doesn’t get their Yo???

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
missile defense system yo?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

welp just got news that i didn’t get it. as soon as the tech interview started i knew i was on thin ice because he was asking google-style brain teasers and spring batch trivia. for a nosql job. feedback was that my personal skills were top notch and what they wanted to hire me on but my tech skills, ‘didn’t go deep enough’

interviewing is garbage

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

what sort of on-call pay is considered reasonable? i get ~1 day's pay for doing 1 (week-long) shift of on-call. it sure doesn't feel like much

I don't know, my career generally doesn't require it, which was by design. I just know that people on-call at my job get it, and all say that it adds up if you're on call a lot and that it makes it worth it for them.

as for your specific situation, I'd generally think that your rate is fine if they give you more if you actually get paged. otherwise it wouldn't be good for me at all. everybody's different though 🤷‍♀️

e: I work at google, so shadowhawk's details above are what's setting the happiness levels

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 22, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

man i’m gonna be upset about this at least for the rest of the week. all three competitors that i interviewed with were all several rounds of getting incredibly strong feedback and essentially signaling to me that i was a shoe-in until the second-to-last interview where someone would thumbs down for extremely arbitrary reasons. i know that’s the risk you run with smaller start ups but going 0-for-3 when it was my ticket out from being slow walked on my current underpayment situation kind of hurts. feels bad man.

now i’m in the uncomfortable position of making it clear i was unhappy about my pay to my boss and now over half a year later still haven’t left so they know they don’t have to do much to keep me here. loving hell

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poo poo rex, that sucks. I'm sorry man

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i mean i’m still in a good situation overall. i’m highly paid for pittsburgh and my job is pretty alright. it’s just the knowledge that i’m making 20-30% under my peers, including those a level below me, is pretty demotivating. i’ll survive. just gonna be upset for a few days about it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i felt like the convo was heading south after the riddle & spring batch question so i tried to steer it towards all my experience in, you know, building actual mission-critical database clusters and all of the insane details you have to be aware of to prevent them from spontaneously bursting into flames. nope. you didn’t know spring batch when you never loving claimed to while interviewing with a nosql company. fail. interviewing is garbage

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I used to manage a team that supported software at GE Healthcare used 24x7 by hospitals, so about as 24x7 as it gets

how it worked there was there would be support associates on call for 2nd and 3rd shift. when a call came in, if the support associate couldn’t solve it they would reach out to me, and I would coordinate appropriate resources. sometimes it was the hospitals implementation person, sometimes it was a higher-up support associate, like an architect, sometimes it was a developer, really depended on the situation.

so, if the issue was deemed to be serious enough that it needed a fix NOW, or much more often, someone to review code NOW so that support could determine if this was a legit bug or something client-side, then engineers would be brought in to do so, any time of day or night

at GE Healthcare our support associates got a base oncall pay rate, then a per-call fixed amount, then a 1.5x rate that kicked in If they were on the call for more than an hour.

so, what I’m saying is yeah, depending on the software you make, it is very normal for devs to be oncall. a friend of mine is a software dev, works for a financial bigco and supports their legacy cobol software. another 24x7 gig.

random fart apps? tell them to gently caress off, no oncall. mission critical apps used by 24x7 operations? yeah, devs are oncall

i am on call as a professional dev but our team is big enough that i only have to do it for 1 week at a time every few weeks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

man i’m gonna be upset about this at least for the rest of the week. all three competitors that i interviewed with were all several rounds of getting incredibly strong feedback and essentially signaling to me that i was a shoe-in until the second-to-last interview where someone would thumbs down for extremely arbitrary reasons. i know that’s the risk you run with smaller start ups but going 0-for-3 when it was my ticket out from being slow walked on my current underpayment situation kind of hurts. feels bad man.

now i’m in the uncomfortable position of making it clear i was unhappy about my pay to my boss and now over half a year later still haven’t left so they know they don’t have to do much to keep me here. loving hell

i feel the same way dude, felt great through a few recent interviews at a couple places and was turned down for the tech skills for arbitrary reasons. some places really want you to solve the problems completely, some places really only care about the process and don't care if you finish it, and there's no way to know which is which to calibrate yourself. i also only got a 2% raise at my current which is laughable considering i know work i have personally completed in a single recent quarter has netted the company an extra several hundred thousand a year in increased revenue. thanks for making us many times over your salary. here's an extra ~$2,500

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
sorry pizza.bat that sounds incredibly lovely. interviewing is already a game of roulette just to get spoken to so its extra demoralizing to get the shaft for no good reason.

thanks for everyone who responded to my :words:

ive read the chome sre book a while back. gonna check out some more devops literature and maybe get an aws cert in the mean time. by then itll be graduation / decision time. automating scripts and a yaml can be pretty fun, but ultimately i think itll come down to how much original code and to what complexity i get to write. realistically i do not see myself having a lot of time for independent dev projects after graduation cause ~reasons~

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

what’s the word for a secret test where someone is checking to see if you belong to their ‘in’ group? it’s at the tip of my tongue but i can’t remember

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what’s the word for a secret test where someone is checking to see if you belong to their ‘in’ group? it’s at the tip of my tongue but i can’t remember

dogwhistle? :\

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a cyberpunk goose posted:

i am on call as a professional dev but our team is big enough that i only have to do it for 1 week at a time every few weeks

oh, yeah ours was that way too. forgot to mention that part, it was a rotating schedule and each dev took a half week shift once every maybe 6 weeks or so.

once a month for support associates. there were more of them but we ran 3 oncall support people a night.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

PIZZA.BAT posted:

shibboleth?

quick how do you pronounce unionized

are we talking teamsters or chemistry

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

JawnV6 posted:

shibboleth?

yes that’s it. thank you. i’m tired of shibboleth tech interviews. fortunately they’re more rare than they were even five years ago but man google really did a number on us with that garbage

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

PIZZA.BAT posted:

tech interviews

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i felt like the convo was heading south after the riddle & spring batch question so i tried to steer it towards all my experience in, you know, building actual mission-critical database clusters and all of the insane details you have to be aware of to prevent them from spontaneously bursting into flames. nope. you didn’t know spring batch when you never loving claimed to while interviewing with a nosql company. fail. interviewing is garbage

nobody who asks riddles or trivia has read or will ever care about anything on your resume

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JawnV6 posted:

shibboleth?

heh

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

yikes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

you hear about this thirdhand all the time but I never thought I'd see a direct report of it like that

lmbo owned

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

as for your specific situation, I'd generally think that your rate is fine if they give you more if you actually get paged. otherwise it wouldn't be good for me at all. everybody's different though 🤷‍♀️]

on top of our ~1 day's pay per (week long) shift, we get paid 1.5x (weekday) or 2x (weekend) our hourly rate for pages, and get the hour(s) back as hoilday. you get anywhere from zero pages (most weeks) to 10 pages (bad weeks). each page is fixable in ~30 mins, minimum paid increment is 30m, so the actual "per page" pay is piddling for being woken up at 3am, you will get :20bux:.

based on what shadowhawk posted above, at Google you get 5 times as much as us. lol. compared to another friend at a similarish org, he gets 3 times as much.

i guess i will try my hand at renegotiating this with my boss, because we are getting paid literally €2 per hour of on call which is ridiculous

a cyberpunk goose posted:

i have to do 1 week per month, and for the last 6 months I was covering for another team and doing 2 weeks per month. lol :rip:

1 week every 2 months is reasonable, imo

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

welp. this is very lovely.

did they justify why they were asking sprint batch questions when you never claimed to know that?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

welp. this is very lovely.

did they justify why they were asking sprint batch questions when you never claimed to know that?

he said no big deal if i couldn’t answer any of the questions but didn’t justify why he was asking them in the first place. i was more direct when the guy was giving me the feedback but he wasn’t a technical guy so he didn’t even really know what spring batch was or why i’d find it strange to be asked about it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

I mean you kind of have to respect the hustle there

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sapozhnik posted:

in fact you do not

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"euro" is the problem, because it indicates that you do not live in a figgieland

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted:

in fact you do not
you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

in the same way you have to "respect the hustle" of amazon literally working people to death on the warehouse floor

which is to say, not at all

edit: here's the thing: that would actually be a pretty okay way of interviewing, if and only if the candidate was paid a full contracting rate for those 3 days

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm the hospital using this companies software that was written by interviewees who may not have even been qualified for the job.

I'm also the support team that has to deal with that

I'm thirdly the vendor putting its rear end on the line with regards to HIPAA compliance by having outside contractors except with less than zero accountability modifying source code.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Poopernickel posted:

i pronounce it so that it rhymes with di-uh-beet-us, and say it with a twang too

coo-ber-NEET-us

thank u for this beautiful post