Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, sure. But if the only way to get the witnesses we want is to sacrifice Hunter, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Prosecute Hunter? Sure, absolutely. Prosecute Hunter during this impeachment trial? Absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

generic one posted:

Prosecute Hunter? Sure, absolutely. Prosecute Hunter during this impeachment trial? Absolutely not.

He isn't going to be prosecuted. He'll just have to go in front of America and talk about what a failson he is and his no show job/jobs.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

He isn't going to be prosecuted. He'll just have to go in front of America and talk about what a failson he is and his no show job/jobs.

So your advocating that this time we should give ground to the Republicans as surely it will work out for the Democrats?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Was he threatening that a Democrat would become President soon or that a Republican Senator they all hate would? I'm having a short brained sort of day and I'm not sure I follow.
Exactly. I know they want unlimited power, but I don't see how all of them are missing the established precedents they'll have to deal with when there's a Democrat house and senate and President. "We will hold the Senate trial for Pence following the Trump-impeachment rules, no witnesses, convict, done".

In some ways there's no precedent (because it's not a court of law), but in other ways there's only precedent (because they have no other documentation to leverage).

(It's because their political/moral/ethical position is "we are right"/"what's right is what we say".)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Exactly. I know they want unlimited power, but I don't see how all of them are missing the established precedents they'll have to deal with when there's a Democrat house and senate and President. "We will hold the Senate trial for Pence following the Trump-impeachment rules, no witnesses, convict, done".

In some ways there's no precedent (because it's not a court of law), but in other ways there's only precedent (because they have no other documentation to leverage).

(It's because their political/moral/ethical position is "we are right"/"what's right is what we say".)

They know Democrats are wimps and will actually take it seriously

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1219818607342800896

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

The Glumslinger posted:

They know Democrats are wimps and will actually take it seriously
Winning Democrat strategy, and real reason for reduced media coverage found: Right before the vote, they all moon and walk out.

ps Or just all show up drunk.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Cool, let’s have him do that in a hearing that has nothing to do with the impeachable crimes of Donald John Trump.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hunt11 posted:

So your advocating that this time we should give ground to the Republicans as surely it will work out for the Democrats?

I don't see letting a jackass corrupt failson testify as giving ground. They are going to make him a huge issue in the campaign if by some tragedy Biden wins the primary anyway whether he testifies or not.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1219830238240178177

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hunt11 posted:

it's not 'giving ground' because the other side is we get to hear an actual first hand witness who almost certainly is going to try to save his own rep and sell a book. Who gives a gently caress about biden? He's gonna be an issue no matter what, it's not like fox is ever gonna go 'well hunter didn't testify so we can't really say he was a corrupt crackhead failson after all'.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the democrats would give them hunter and then the republicans would pull the football away like they do every time over and over again, so that it ends up being only hunter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

the democrats would give them hunter and then the republicans would pull the football away like they do every time over and over again, so that it ends up being only hunter

At least that would be funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The 7th Guest posted:

if chuck is that cartoonishly wrong here, like actually maybe mentally handicapped levels of 'unable to be trusted to consent to deals', then we've got way bigger issues than PROTECT HUNTER

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I’d assume the prosecution goes first with their witnesses but who knows what Calvinball rules they end up passing.

Also I think I mentioned it in the other thread but there’s nothing to stop the 53 Republicans from just subpoenaing Hunter by majority vote so it’s not like Democrats can really trade anything in a meaningful sense here.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 22, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

uh it's not about chuck consenting to a deal, it's about the very idea of a "deal" being honored by republicans when they never do that. they could show a live broadcast of everyone signing a contract and then after the democrats honor their side of the deal, the republicans light the contract on fire and laugh while schumer goes "HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED"

like, they will change the rules on the fly whenever they want because no one will stop them

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The 7th Guest posted:

uh it's not about chuck consenting to a deal, it's about the very idea of a "deal" being honored by republicans when they never do that. they could show a live broadcast of everyone signing a contract and then after the democrats honor their side of the deal, the republicans light the contract on fire and laugh while schumer goes "HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED"

that's literally not how this works, prosecution witnesses go first in a trial dude

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

that's literally not how this works, prosecution witnesses go first in a trial dude

What's more, we specifically know that the prosecution will go first in this trial.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's more, we specifically know that the prosecution will go first in this trial.

but guys what if mitch rigs a booby trap under bolton's seat to explode, killing him instantly and preventing him from testifying? Then we'll HAVE to let fox news call hunter a corrupt crackhead and there's no recovering from that. Better just have no witnesses like mitch wants in the first place.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

then throw hunter out there, i dont really give a gently caress about him. but there will be shenanigans

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The 7th Guest posted:

then throw hunter out there, i dont really give a gently caress about him. but there will be shenanigans

yea no poo poo, it's not like there's a no shenanigans option here

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Do we know why the Republicans aren't just voting to call Hunter Biden and no one else?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

The GOP can try this by whatever rules they want. Everyone needs to know this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

Do we know why the Republicans aren't just voting to call Hunter Biden and no one else?

probably the Romney types know that literally only calling a completely meaningless witness will make it hard to pretend they're not ghouls back home and are threatening to block.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I think we can assume that some of the GOP wouldn't be on board with that

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Was he threatening that a Democrat would become President soon or that a Republican Senator they all hate would? I'm having a short brained sort of day and I'm not sure I follow.

Yep. That Warren or Sanders will become President soon, and that "we" (the House and Senate) may have to do this all over again soon. It was also a side-eye check to say the Senate (regardless of the party membership) "should" be able to prosecute (next time), but have currently chosen to abstain its responsibility in the current case, and precedent may be set. Politics will rule next time, as they do now, but it's an argument to the institution of the Senate anyways, as useless as that argument appears to be.

Appreciate that Schiff looked at the camera a couple of times. Personally hope Schiff, et al., become angrier as days go on. As it stands, not much to lose either way at this point.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Because they mostly prefer no witnesses to an even more obvious sham.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Source? Last poll was June of 2019, and it was by hilariously Republican-slanted Gravis. Collins is the least popular Senator in Washington. She's a dead woman walking.

Most recent thing I find is an October poll from Public Policy Polling (admittedly Democratic-slanted), which has her losing to a generic Democrat 41-44

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/PPP_Release_ME_101519.pdf

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Source? Last poll was June of 2019, and it was by hilariously Republican-slanted Gravis. Collins is the least popular Senator in Washington. She's a dead woman walking.

I think she's definitely gone with general election anti Trump turnout. Same for Gardner. I will take great pleasure in her losing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mcmagic posted:

I don't see letting a jackass corrupt failson testify as giving ground. They are going to make him a huge issue in the campaign if by some tragedy Biden wins the primary anyway whether he testifies or not.

It's a hard thing to make an issue out of when I'd bet dollars to dimes that fully 90% of senators have fuckup relatives sitting on the boards of various companies and foundations. I'd be surprised if anyone on either side really wants that to get dug into and to become a political liability.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Otteration posted:

Yep. That Warren or Sanders will become President soon, and that "we" (the House and Senate) may have to do this all over again soon. It was also a side-eye check to say the Senate (regardless of the party membership) "should" be able to prosecute (next time), but have currently chosen to abstain its responsibility in the current case, and precedent may be set. Politics will rule next time, as they do now, but it's an argument to the institution of the Senate anyways, as useless as that argument appears to be.

Appreciate that Schiff looked at the camera a couple of times. Personally hope Schiff, et al., become angrier as days go on. As it stands, not much to lose either way at this point.

Ok, that makes sense. I suppose I just skipped ahead mentally to "the Republicans would consider this an empty threat because they can lean on their E.C. advantage, voter suppression, a compliant Supreme Court and the DNC to ratfuck their own people for Biden, so the Presidency is reasonably still in their grasp; why would they care?". I've been stressing too much.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So are they done yet? I couldn’t listen anymore at like 8 .

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So are they done yet? I couldn’t listen anymore at like 8 .

No it's still going. Two hours of argument per subpoena, then it gets tabled.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

if chuck is that cartoonishly wrong here, like actually maybe mentally handicapped levels of 'unable to be trusted to consent to deals', then we've got way bigger issues than PROTECT HUNTER

No-one gives a poo poo about protecting Hunter. The whole thing agaisnt him is bullshit anyway and he really has nothing to answer for except being the son of a famous US pol. This is the GOP doing Benghazi all over again in the run up to another election, so that the Bidens (and by association, all Democrats) are seen as equally tarnished as Trump. They are using it to set up a 'both sides are bad' narrative to uninformed voters and to get the media to split time between actual corruption on the GOP side and allegations of corruption on the Dem side.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just tuned in at the end of a proposal to send the Sergeant-at-arms to find and bring Bolton to them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are Senators still in the chamber or is it Schiff and Nadler talking to no one?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Still there.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
still going, and Schiff is still great. they're all gonna be 53-47 votes to ignore every amendment tho, oh well

hopefully they can at least clog things up and stretch it out and at least get some good sound bites in; Schiff has had at least a few

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Are they about to spend two hours arguing an amendment changing a thing two hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Schiff is a robot and they're just methodically punishing the GOP for their bullshit. This is great