Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Soft axle plus 1x2 round thingies (whatever there name is)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I can't think of any 1x2 round things.

Do you mean 1x1 round bricks?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

I can't think of any 1x2 round things.

Do you mean 1x1 round bricks?

The sugar canes from the gingerbread house are made out of them. They take a 1-long pin on each side....let me check brickling...

e: pin connectors

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 21, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got it. Now i know what you are talking about.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=62462&idColor=3#T=P&C=3

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The solt axle might make it look pretty lovely, though. Is there a pin similar to the plate-modified with the interlocking teeth? I can only assume there is tons of options in the bionicle pieces, but I have neary no experience with them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Are the ISS solar panels printed or stickers?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

drgitlin posted:

Review says printed. Apparently there are 64 of them. Lego doesn't hate their customers that much.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

drgitlin posted:

For a second there I thought I was in the Space Flight thread and you were asking about the actual ISS.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Scipiotik posted:

Lego doesn't hate their customers that much.
...anymore

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is amazing and would get 10k votes so fast.

Not a car dealer but my family business was a truck repair shop so a lot of those touches are nostalgic for me.

I’m more of a Star Wars / Ironman collector but drat if I wouldn’t scoop that up in a heartbeat. Blown away carbohydrate, excellent job!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Thanks much, guys! I really appreciate your comments and support. To address a couple things:

I don't want to submit this to Ideas for a few reasons. First, you lose your rights to things like instructions just from submitting it. Second, I would have to put a lot of time and effort into promoting it, which is really not my jam - I don't even have a social media presence to utilize. Third, I don't think this would translate terribly well to an official set. It would definitely have to undergo a lot of changes: the cars would be unlicensed, the parking lot would be downsized or omitted, and LEGO did just release their own small car dealership set. I just don't see it working well. I'm happy enough for it to just be a MOC. If anything else, it would be a better fit for something like Bricklink's ADP if they bring that back.

Regarding a manager's office, that was originally intended, but it didn't fit in such a way that wouldn't inhibit your ability to get your hands in there - the walls are quite high, so the rooms have to be pretty wide and open to have any kind of access. It's certainly doable, but I decided against it.

As for the inflatable arm man, maybe? I didn't personally think it made a lot of sense in the context of a dealership that's trying to push a nostalgic, retro image, but the sheer tackiness is appealing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That build is one of those cases where mixing old light grey and new light grey might have worked well.

The pristine white garage floor would never exist at a shady used car lot. :v:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Everything about that car dealership is perfect but I cannot get over how absolutely glorious the salesmen minifigs are, they are wonderful.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Just to pile on, it's wonderful. I'd started on a similar idea but it was no where near as good as that!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I will echo that that dealership is as perfect as it could be and to be made into an official set would only diminish it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m glad they made the ISS a smaller set. I was expecting a monstrosity but at $70 it’s just about at impulse buy level to kill a few hours on an afternoon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just got to make sure that those auto salesmen come with a little razzle-dazzle!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ugh the new T-70 is sooo good and yet $20 more than it should be.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks much, guys! I really appreciate your comments and support. To address a couple things:

I don't want to submit this to Ideas for a few reasons. First, you lose your rights to things like instructions just from submitting it. Second, I would have to put a lot of time and effort into promoting it, which is really not my jam - I don't even have a social media presence to utilize. Third, I don't think this would translate terribly well to an official set. It would definitely have to undergo a lot of changes: the cars would be unlicensed, the parking lot would be downsized or omitted, and LEGO did just release their own small car dealership set. I just don't see it working well. I'm happy enough for it to just be a MOC. If anything else, it would be a better fit for something like Bricklink's ADP if they bring that back.

Regarding a manager's office, that was originally intended, but it didn't fit in such a way that wouldn't inhibit your ability to get your hands in there - the walls are quite high, so the rooms have to be pretty wide and open to have any kind of access. It's certainly doable, but I decided against it.

As for the inflatable arm man, maybe? I didn't personally think it made a lot of sense in the context of a dealership that's trying to push a nostalgic, retro image, but the sheer tackiness is appealing.

Comedy option: Lepin

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Agreed, thats a well designed Lego model. I particularly like the brick built text.

As far as succeeding on Lego Ideas; That whole car dealership stereotype is pretty american. Thats not at all how (used) car dealerships are in europe, at least not here in scandinavia.
I have seen these car dealerships in american movies and always found them a bit curious as the whole operation is so different from here. I assume they are depicted very stereotyped but the stereotypes presumably are there for a reason.

It could do well on Ideas on the merit of being a well designed Lego model but im unsure how successful the nostalgia/culture bit of it will be a factor.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Not anymore (at least not for a month while they get a new warehouse)!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

They recently bought 3 new factories by all account, so I’m guessing they’re not going anywhere for a while. Just change the sign out front.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
China don't give a gently caress about copyrights.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

They recently bought 3 new factories by all account, so I’m guessing they’re not going anywhere for a while. Just change the brick built sign out front.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Out of interest: is there anything besides bragging rights and maybe some paid promotion gigs that you get out off a published Lego Ideas set? Like "so and so much for every set sold"?

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
They do get a percentage, it’s a royalty model. I can’t remember if it’s from gross of each retail sale or out of profits. I think it’s split with IP holders if it’s a licensed property, I assume that’s case by case.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That car lot is utter perfection. Great work!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

tuo posted:

Out of interest: is there anything besides bragging rights and maybe some paid promotion gigs that you get out off a published Lego Ideas set? Like "so and so much for every set sold"?
"1% of the total net sales of the product (this includes projects featuring original models based on third-party intellectual property such as a game, TV show, or movie)."

Payout ends up being in the thousands iirc. Not bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bet saturn V has cleaned up more than any other ideas winner.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Carbs: It's been amazing watching this whole thing unfold. I can't say anything that hasn't been already said. But I just realized I need to find that hair on the smarmy guy and a couple dark suits and make an American Psycho diorama, because there is something wrong with me.

Speaking of sadism, everyone go vote for the Untitled Goose Game Ideas set, because good meme game needs a good meme set.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Vote for anything/everything that is NOT a diorama for a tv show or film franchise, imo. Those are pure laziness (except the Planet Express which the designer clearly put thought and effort into)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

Speaking of sadism, everyone go vote for the Untitled Goose Game Ideas set, because good meme game needs a good meme set.

Already did!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Vote for anything/everything that is NOT a diorama for a tv show or film franchise, imo. Those are pure laziness (except the Planet Express which the designer clearly put thought and effort into)

Planet express too—that’s just begging for legoification.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Imma out myself as a dirty lepin liker... the bricks are actually pretty decent, like better than megablocks ever were, and especially for MOCs where I can buy the instructions directly from the designer (like the modern library) or retired lego sets with stupid secondary market gouging, my conscious doesn’t hurt too bad. My purchases over the last few months have been about fifty fifty, so I figure a rising tide lifts all ships, especially if it’s not in direct competition with anyone :shrug:

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

OSU_Matthew posted:

Planet express too—that’s just begging for legoification.

The Planet Express ship is already at the review stage.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Good lord it’s hard to photograph Lego. What are some tips to get passable photos with my phone, assuming no light box?

I have a nearly finished modular moc, it’s got some custom play features, I am having a very hard time getting images of the interiors particularly.

I feel like I can get better results rebuilding in Stud.io and rendering.

I would be pretty proud of my build if not for Carbohydrates posting up that masterwork dealership, but man my photos look like rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to step up your photo game, there's no way around spending some money. Either a lightbox or a giant piece of white fabric from a fabric store or a canvas backdrop. Common household stuff you might be able to borrow would be bed sheets or a shower curtain or something.

Lighting you can kinda cheap out on, get a couple clamp lights from home depot and a pair of 60W LED bulbs. Or steal table lamps from around the house and fake it as best you can.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scipiotik posted:

Review says printed. Apparently there are 64 of them. Lego doesn't hate their customers that much.

Thank gently caress, I'm stoked now.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

xzzy posted:

If you want to step up your photo game, there's no way around spending some money. Either a lightbox or a giant piece of white fabric from a fabric store or a canvas backdrop. Common household stuff you might be able to borrow would be bed sheets or a shower curtain or something.

Lighting you can kinda cheap out on, get a couple clamp lights from home depot and a pair of 60W LED bulbs. Or steal table lamps from around the house and fake it as best you can.

https://www.joann.com/rip-stop-nylon/xprd560961.html doubled up is great for the sides/top of a DIY lightbox, and also makes a great handheld softbox if you put it in a cheap embroidery hoop.

I built a 2x2x3 lightbox last year from scrap plywood, that fabric, and a roll of bright white paper as the back and bottom, and a couple cheap lamps on the top and either side. I wouldn't recommend it for professional use, but it's fine for taking pictures here and there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use a $20 lightbox I got off Amazon. :v:

And it folds up into something I can throw into the closet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1220345613616844800?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's blue flame pieces these days? Tight!