Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Which timeslot are you guys running? I always consider running a stint in an endurance race, and never do. If you have any use for a 3500+ IR driver with the pace and car control of a sub-1000 IR driver in the Merc, I may be interested in racing Friday overnight 3-5 AM CST, and/or 2-4 pm or 10pm-3am CST Saturday. I will be slow, and will likely crash in the dumbest way possible. Also, I don't yet own Daytona, so yeah, I'd be real bad.

Give it a try on the old version of Daytona.

The only difficult part of the road course is turn 1, you will be fine if you can get through there without dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Why am I walking up at 7 to play video games with goons?!? We can't even play at the same time! It's just hotseat multiplayer!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Two skippy races today where I quali’d last and then got promoted into 8th place when a whole bunch of cars in front just ate poo poo in like turn 3.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there any lapsed account promos going on? Mine lapsed due to an expired card

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are there any lapsed account promos going on? Mine lapsed due to an expired card

The last deal expired 16 days ago.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Oh dang, there's AI now? Maybe that'll drag me away from flight sims for a bit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shine posted:

Oh dang, there's AI now? Maybe that'll drag me away from flight sims for a bit.

It's pretty limited right now, only one car is supported, and a handful of tracks, and there's not a lot of customization with the races you can setup.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I said come in! posted:

It's pretty limited right now, only one car is supported, and a handful of tracks, and there's not a lot of customization with the races you can setup.

The porsche, mx-5, and skippy support AI.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

MX-5 and Skippy are basically all I drive outside of ovals, so yay!

I'd do more goon stuff, but I work stupid hours and weekends :argh:

E: also, bad driver

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
I've been doing a 10 race skippy AI series, and it's great. The AI is very well done, especially so early on, and every race so far has had some great battles. I'd recommend playing around with it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Shine posted:

you just described half the field

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I wish more tracks I owned or that are free were on the track list.. I might give it a shot this week but cas only race on one track

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shine posted:

MX-5 and Skippy are basically all I drive outside of ovals, so yay!

I'd do more goon stuff, but I work stupid hours and weekends :argh:

yeah the goon races are way too early in the day for me

someone create a latebois league

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Mr. Powers posted:

you just described half the field

hey look I can do left turns; I just get confused when we have to turn right

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

IceAgeComing posted:

hey look I can do left turns; I just get confused when we have to turn right

You forgot: you can brake for the bus stop and/or not fall asleep while racing. I hear not everyone is so skilled.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've never fallen asleep but I have been so far behind from the pack that my mind wanders and I just fail to turn before smashing into a wall.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The General posted:

I've never fallen asleep but I have been so far behind from the pack that my mind wanders and I just fail to turn before smashing into a wall.

That happened to someone on our team, too! Except replace mind wanders with "wheel loses its mind".

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

AI now supports a couple ovals. The common complaint so far is that the AI tends to just go 3-wide at all times and basically hold formation. While the AI drivers are supposed to have some variability in their skill, that doesn't seem to work as well on oval as it does on road.

I was able to get more actual racing action by setting a very wide skill level spread in the AI. Like, instead of 50-75% AI, I did 0-75%. I also disabled qualifying, so the higher AI wouldn't simply start ahead of the lower AI. That helped to mix things up, as the faster AI at the rear of the pack would make efforts to (and successfully) pass the slower AI, which broke up the formation driving enough that I had more holes to slip by the slower AI as well. Kind of a gamey workaround, but it was something, at least. There is an "Avoid Me" option that makes the AI go more out of their way to avoid making any contact with you, but I didn't have an issue with them smashing into me at all, so I didn't mess with it.

So yeah, it's far from the Unreal Tournament level of bot realism, but I'm glad they're working on AI, and if nothing else it'll help new drivers get used to holding lines in traffic. Definitely something I'll plop my dad into the next time he visits.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can you have mixed AI and multiplayer races?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Doesn't look like it; I don't see AI options in the custom race setup. I assume they're waiting to iron some AI kinks out before implementing that.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

no they ruled this out from the start i think. They don't want to water down the official series or hosted leagues so they have no plans to let AI be multiplayer at all (if the public demand for it was HUGE maybe they'd reconsider but I don't think it ever will be)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I use iracing specifically because I don’t want to race against AI and I think a lot of their player base feels similarly.

It’s fine for offline practice

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I use iracing specifically because I don’t want to race against AI and I think a lot of their player base feels similarly.

It’s fine for offline practice

Same. I have no interest in racing against AI.

I can see using it to get used to a new car or track, but that's about the extent of it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i'd like to do AI because I can pause the race, and I can race on my schedule.. sadly the oval AI SUUUUCKS right now.. I tried daytona and one car blew itself up on the start, and they many randomly brake check coming out of 4 I got turned because a car came into me. teaching AI to pack race is a bad way to start.. they shoudl have started with like texas or something.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 9, 2020

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I just wanted mixed human/AI races to have a gooncar oval series with 10 goons and 30 of the dumbest AI possible.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

I just wanted mixed human/AI races to have a gooncar oval series with 10 goons and 30 of the dumbest AI possible.

This would be very stupid and tons of fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm taking a wild guess and assuming the AI runs on the local system and not on iRacing's servers. The latter seems to be the only viable solution to mixed AI/multiplayer races, but would increase iRacing's cost to host this.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Season 2 update is out.

Cayman GT4 is dang fun, has new damage model that feels really good (mirrors like to fall off a lot now)

Audi TCR has new damage as well

Pretty much all the main sportscars have new tires, gt3, gte, c7 dp, hpd, lmp1s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My account lapsed. Any deals on re-upping right now?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love week 13

The Indy/Radical/MX5 race is amazing and hilarious and terrifying.

My only regret is not owning any of the cars or the track for figure 8

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Been meaning to post for a few weeks now, but I can’t recommend the discord and crew enough. Gooncar is so much fun it doesn’t even need to be said, but everyone is so helpful and insightful (I can’t believe I’m saying that unironically after reading the F1 thread for so long) it’s crazy.

After getting back into sim racing 15 years after I last ran, I couldn’t imagine walking back into another place. Thanks, goons and friends, y’all rule.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I did a F3/skip race as a skip and it was kinda neat being a moving chicane.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Rated PG-34 posted:

I did a F3/skip race as a skip and it was kinda neat being a moving chicane.

How many times were you brutally murdered?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did the F3/Skip race and it was really clean actually. Placed second in my class becauae there were only two people racing skips and had a good time.

The extra nice part of running the skip class is the turn 1 pileup is mostly over and avoidable by the time you get there in the skips

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

How many times were you brutally murdered?

I did the race again twice last night and got brutally murdered 4 times. One of the murders was by some lagging/exploding f3; they really ought to fix the net code so it doesn’t do that.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Managed first in class with the skip at Okayama. Couple skips murdered each other in front of me and i guess the sobriety level was better this time around.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I generally avoid Oxford Plains because I suck at it, but, if you want some entertainment jump in the Street Stocks at Oxford. I know most of the guys in here go for road racing but the practice session alone was hilarious. I think I saw a car hit the tops of the trees off turn 4 in one wreck. The race lobby I was put in was actually really great. I got a little roughed up at the start but managed to come back and score a top 10. Overall the leader ran like a 16.1 fastest lap and the slower cars (myself among them) ran 16.4 as their fastest laps so the parity was good and there were enough people joined that I think only 1 or 2 cars carried over from the practice session I was in to the race session.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Did the Sebring Sunrise series with a buddy of mine this afternoon and it was a really great format. 90 minutes, 2 drivers minimum, a lot of fun. We ran in GT3, a very close middle split. Unfortunately it meant that we got some pretty special GTEs, but overall it was a fun race, I qualified and handed the car off intact after 45 minutes. Unfortunately, my co-driver had a bit of contact with the wall at t1 and required a tow and fast repair, we were on for a podium, ended up fourth after one team got dsq for only one driver running.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bigbillystyle posted:

I generally avoid Oxford Plains because I suck at it, but, if you want some entertainment jump in the Street Stocks at Oxford. I know most of the guys in here go for road racing but the practice session alone was hilarious. I think I saw a car hit the tops of the trees off turn 4 in one wreck. The race lobby I was put in was actually really great. I got a little roughed up at the start but managed to come back and score a top 10. Overall the leader ran like a 16.1 fastest lap and the slower cars (myself among them) ran 16.4 as their fastest laps so the parity was good and there were enough people joined that I think only 1 or 2 cars carried over from the practice session I was in to the race session.

The only time I ever used my bumper in Iracing was at Oxford Plains SS. Just hogging the line so I moved him out of the way. Didn't spin him eithrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

algebra testes posted:

The only time I ever used my bumper in Iracing was at Oxford Plains SS. Just hogging the line so I moved him out of the way. Didn't spin him eithrr

This guys just piled in to turn 3 on the first lap. Way too deep, way too low, touched curbing and bumped my left rear. Got me out of shape and I lost like 10 spots but I got a lot of it back so I was ok with it. I was only really bummed out when I saw this guy hit everything else but the pace car, finished like 5 laps down and his safety rating went slightly UP while mine went slightly DOWN and that first lap incident was my only incident of the race.

I feel like I've gotten screwed up a couple times this week with that. The other day I had a horrid race. Lost some traction, over corrected a couple times, hit the inside wall a little at Lanier and picked up 2 points. It was my only 2 points but I hosed up in the pits and accidentally exited out the entrance. Got black flagged, ended up 14th like four or five laps down. Safety rating went up. Last night had a decent race. I did end up getting 6 incident points, 2 for rubbing outside wall on turn exit and 4 for getting bumped while checking up for another wreck but that's it. 7th place finish, on the lead lap. Felt OK about it. Rating went down. I know there isn't any objectiveness to it, it just is what it is, but I feel like finish and black flags should account for some of your safety rating. Who would you rather race with? The guy who runs basically clean and keeps it on the lead lap or the guy who totally fucks up a corner, then fucks up pit road, and ultimately finishes 5 laps down? To me the safer driver (even thought they are both me) is the one who can actually run 70 laps without loving up royally.

E: in the end I guess I don't care that much since I'm class B and I only run stuff that is class C or D really but it's the principle of the thing dammit.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 13, 2020