Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

My eyes are doing 360 turns in my head right now
Well I for one am loving shocked that plant based burgers don't grow like that on the vine and will be writing to the manager.

:lol: that the go to boogeyman for propylene glycol is 'e-cigarettes' now though, used to be 'antifreeze'. Or, y'know, ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I will never stop enjoying it when people shake their fists at the boogieman that is CHEMICALS!!!!!!1!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

where's the slug safe veggie burgers??

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On the burger vine.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sodium Chloride is a loving slug pesticide, too. And folks LOVE that poo poo.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Didn't find the last one funny?.. Maybe if I rephrase it..

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Guavanaut posted:

Well I for one am loving shocked that plant based burgers don't grow like that on the vine and will be writing to the manager.

:lol: that the go to boogeyman for propylene glycol is 'e-cigarettes' now though, used to be 'antifreeze'. Or, y'know, ice cream.

Oh no, a cellulose derivative in my food made out of plants.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Would "let's discuss it over powwow chow" be better or worse idk I'm at most 1/8th native and my family is pretty drat alienated from any culture save pop culture so idk if I count as a Warren myself. Never used it on applications or anything even though my dad was convinced it would help with scholarships.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!
That top picture is a Toronto police car, so those people aren’t Democrats. That’s either from the 2010 G20 summit or when the Raptors won last year.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

LitigiousChimp posted:

That top picture is a Toronto police car, so those people aren’t Democrats. That’s either from the 2010 G20 summit or when the Raptors won last year.

Canadian here: It's the G20 summit protest. I'm surprised they restrained themselves enough to not use one of the pictures where the car was burning. I guess showing ~scary black-clothed protesters~ was more important.

Edit: They also blurred the original photo, which among other things makes it hard to read the advertisement on the right and see that it is for a musical at the Royal Alexandra Theatre:

Double edit: and the CANADA bag on the far left, lol

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 22, 2020

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Prism posted:

Canadian here: It's the G20 summit protest. I'm surprised they restrained themselves enough to not use one of the pictures where the car was burning. I guess showing ~scary black-clothed protesters~ was more important.

Edit: They also blurred the original photo, which among other things makes it hard to read the advertisement on the right and see that it is for a musical at the Royal Alexandra Theatre:

Double edit: and the CANADA bag on the far left, lol

To be fair that's probably more due to incompetent resizing and the right's apparent love of .jpg compression than anything intentional.

Although I do wonder what that "C.L." they photoshoped onto that traffic pylon is supposed to stand for. Coushatta, Louisiana? Classical Liberals? Creamy Lemon?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jagged Jim posted:

Although I do wonder what that "C.L." they photoshoped onto that traffic pylon is supposed to stand for. Coushatta, Louisiana? Classical Liberals? Creamy Lemon?

It's probably supposed to be a watermark for the meme maker. You see a lot of that on these lovely FB memes because content gets stolen all the time.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Ok, but to be fair maybe swap the bottom image out for the Charlottesville car attack, the Oklahoma City bombing or a picture of Dylan Roof and we'll see how that looks (actually, don't do this because lots of good people really died in those).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

T-man posted:

Would "let's discuss it over powwow chow" be better or worse idk I'm at most 1/8th native and my family is pretty drat alienated from any culture save pop culture so idk if I count as a Warren myself. Never used it on applications or anything even though my dad was convinced it would help with scholarships.

Probably better because it's a reference to a thing she said/did and not just a stereotype of marginalized people. It's all kinda lame tho.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump fighting with rosie o'donnel and the pope on twitter andwe're supposed to be scandalized that two elderly opponents are grumping at oneanother. oh my stars and garters with such disagreeable attitudes how could we EVER trust them to be president??? what if they embarrassed us???

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I thought the big thing about the rally in Virginia was that they actually cleaned up after themselves?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I kept reading the first word as “white”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DariusLikewise posted:

My cat does does that exact thing to me if I leave the bathroom door open while pissing or making GBS threads.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DariusLikewise posted:

why is that dog nazi saluting

bad boy, bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A take so hot that it just set the Cuyahoga River on fire.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Do they think literal children are somehow making everything plastic?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

So, they're saying that when they were kids everything was low emission and recycled (it wasn't, but that's another issue), and now that they're all grown up their kids are complaining about how hosed up the planet is? Uh, isn't the only logical conclusion here that they were in fact the people who hosed up the planet?

"This world was awesome when I was a kid! It's too bad my own kids get to live in a completely hosed world, though. Gee, not sure what might have happened between my youth and theirs."

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

God forbid you might take responsibility and try to improve something instead of bitching about youngins.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"My dad needed emissions to build and drive tanks to beat the nazis. Are you a nazi?"-my loving jewish stepuncle, to me, another jew, paraphrased but barely

I think he's taken all the wrong lessons from everything he referenced when he said that

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Invalid Validation posted:

God forbid you might take responsibility and try to improve something instead of bitching about youngins.

Heaven loving forefend that members of the Party of Personal Responsibility have to take responsibility for literally anything. That would be WORSE THAN SLAVERY.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Guavanaut posted:

A take so hot that it just set the Cuyahoga River on fire.

*companies replace renewable materials with plastics so that they can preserve their bottom like by reducing damaged products and cheaper production costs*

"The consumer did this"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Well, I'm convinced.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a good point, they're all pointed at Earth's walls.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

So...what are they pointed at?

E: removed the quoted picture, its already on the page twice

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I don't know the actual science behind it, but logically if you pointed them straight up you'd get a very narrow window of access to a satellite, and only when they were directly overhead.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
the satellites in question are geosynchronous, and are situated at the equator. therefore to hit it, it has to be at an angle to the ground relative to your latitude. That dish one in particular has to be rather far north unless its not actually in use.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 26, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the satellites in question are geosynchronous, and are situated at the equator. therefore to hit it, it has to be at an angle to the ground relative to your latitude. That dish one in particular has to be rather far north unless its not actually in use.

Geostationary, not geosynchronous. A geosynchronous orbit has the same period as the Earth's rotation, a geostationary orbit is a geosynchronous orbit that is above the equator so it appears to be stationary from earth (a non--equatorial geosynchronous satellite would appear to move around the sky in an ellipse).

I mean technically geosynchronous orbits aren't entirely stationary from Earth because Earth is a lovely timekeeper and there's all sorts of other perturbations, but they generally don't move by more than about half a degree, which is why those dishes generally have a couple of degrees margin of error.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Geostationary, not geosynchronous. A geosynchronous orbit has the same period as the Earth's rotation, a geostationary orbit is a geosynchronous orbit that is above the equator so it appears to be stationary from earth (a non--equatorial geosynchronous satellite would appear to move around the sky in an ellipse).

I mean technically geosynchronous orbits aren't entirely stationary from Earth because Earth is a lovely timekeeper and there's all sorts of other perturbations, but they generally don't move by more than about half a degree, which is why those dishes generally have a couple of degrees margin of error.

true.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

I don't know the actual science behind it, but logically if you pointed them straight up you'd get a very narrow window of access to a satellite, and only when they were directly overhead.

Can confirm, when we first got satellite tv in Yellowknife, kid me honestly wondered what satellite we were gonna get pointing it nearly flat at the horizon.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
When i lived in indonesia which was like 7 degrees from the equator the sattelite dishes did point up.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
I'm sorry. I wasn't asking the theead what the satelite dishes are pointing at, it was a question for the email: if they're not pointing at satelites, what are they pointing at?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"My dad needed emissions to build and drive tanks to beat the nazis. Are you a nazi?"-my loving jewish stepuncle, to me, another jew, paraphrased but barely

I think he's taken all the wrong lessons from everything he referenced when he said that

You should go really dark in your reply and point out that nazi's turned Jews into emissions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Keeshhound posted:

Also all of those dishes (and almost every modern consumer TV dish) are offset designs. Their window of reception is at an angle upwards from the dish, so what it looks like it's pointing at isn't what it's actually pointing at.

Eulogistics posted:

I'm sorry. I wasn't asking the theead what the satelite dishes are pointing at, it was a question for the email: if they're not pointing at satelites, what are they pointing at?
Transmitters mounted on the great ice wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

It's a good point, they're all pointed at Earth's walls.

Ah, lets assume the satellite is above the equator.
All dishes north of it will be pointing south, so pointing to the earth walls.
But all dishes south of the equator will be pointing north. To the north pole.

Explain that.