Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you think that there's just one person in the BBC's programming department that's just drawing up a list of their fetishes to do articles about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What about muslim tradwives?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

The BBC is now The Spectator.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Azza Bamboo posted:

What about muslim tradwives?
Nah that's just sexism, this is a hip new trend. Hashtag & everything.

I can't be the only one who's really unsettled by this:- like, I know right wing sex weirds have been roleplaying this imaginary reactionary bullshit since forever, but it's fashy as gently caress, so seeing it being portrayed as a cool new fad at this particular point in the prequel to children of men history is freaking me out. Check that loving union jack bunting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think part of it is just idiot journalistic contrarianism. They always pick the stupidest position to advocate for because it gets people's attention. Of course as the far right get mobilized and start doing the same thing it influences even the ones who are just brain dead by providing a convenient option. The press will flirt with fascism for clicks.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Angrymog posted:

I take it that they don't have replaceable batteries? I saved my Note 3 from having to be replaced two years ago by shoving a £10 battery in.

You can replace it, but I'm not confident in my ability to do it myself and the phone didn't officially release in ROI so nowhere around here will actually repair it for me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Skull Servant posted:

You can replace it, but I'm not confident in my ability to do it myself and the phone didn't officially release in ROI so nowhere around here will actually repair it for me.

On most non-flagship phones (where the layout is generally actively hostile to any kind of repair - :thunk: ) it's generally a pretty simple task but inevitably requires a couple of tools you won't just have laying about, and while you can get appropriate tool kits for like a tenner the fiddly nature of the job and the small chance of terminally loving the phone means that it's generally better to leave it to a local independent shop, who'll probably only charge you a tenner on top of the cost of ordering the battery off Amazon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Nah that's just sexism, this is a hip new trend. Hashtag & everything.

I can't be the only one who's really unsettled by this:- like, I know right wing sex weirds have been roleplaying this imaginary reactionary bullshit since forever, but it's fashy as gently caress, so seeing it being portrayed as a cool new fad at this particular point in the prequel to children of men history is freaking me out. Check that loving union jack bunting.
I'm not sure if it's hilarious or depressing but the best bit is how much poo poo they get completely wrong about traditional households in the name of cosplaying '50s Americana pushed by Evangelical right wingers.

Also the number of people with 'Catholic' in their bio in the comments stanning this poo poo as if 'traditional British values' doesn't imply certain positions on the existence of the Roman Church.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Culture wars is happening and like any smart enemy they've copied our weapons. They've named identities with the specific purpose of subverting the values and establishments that the socially progressive seek to uphold. In the antisemitism nonsense, they've even created and normalised a kind of outrage and awareness that, were it applied to anything other than Israel, they'd probably consider to be "political correctness gone mad". The political right have learned from us, but their distinct advantage is that they don't actually have to make any attempt to support the wellbeing of tradwives or jews or who else. All they want is to limit socially progressive people in the same ways that they feel limited and attacked by the socially progressive left.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thanks for the phone recs folks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ayyyyy got accepted to one of the universities I applied for. I'd still prefer Scotland (still waiting on the other ones) but I would totally be willing to settle for Newcastle.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On most non-flagship phones (where the layout is generally actively hostile to any kind of repair - :thunk: ) it's generally a pretty simple task but inevitably requires a couple of tools you won't just have laying about, and while you can get appropriate tool kits for like a tenner the fiddly nature of the job and the small chance of terminally loving the phone means that it's generally better to leave it to a local independent shop, who'll probably only charge you a tenner on top of the cost of ordering the battery off Amazon.

I definitely do not have enough confidence in myself to replace it without damaging it in some way. I replaced the PSU in my desktop this week and that was stressful enough.

Planned obsolescence is a complete fucker. I'm tossing this phone to a friend of mine who has been using a completely smashed S6 for the last two years, so I don't feel bad about buying a new one. I would be completely happy with just getting a new battery and keeping this one for another year or two if it wasn't such a hassle.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CoolCab posted:

ayyyyy got accepted to one of the universities I applied for. I'd still prefer Scotland (still waiting on the other ones) but I would totally be willing to settle for Newcastle.

Congratulations - if Newcastle is your fallback you’re doing pretty loving well! Fingers crossed for the rest!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skull Servant posted:

Planned obsolescence is a complete fucker. I'm tossing this phone to a friend of mine who has been using a completely smashed S6 for the last two years, so I don't feel bad about buying a new one. I would be completely happy with just getting a new battery and keeping this one for another year or two if it wasn't such a hassle.
There was a good video on that a few months back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ai4efIWDYA

CoolCab posted:

:toot:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Red Oktober posted:

Congratulations - if Newcastle is your fallback you’re doing pretty loving well! Fingers crossed for the rest!

Northumbria actually - I meant the town, sorry.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Wey ay mun.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Borrovan posted:

Check that loving union jack bunting.

Great British Bake Off was/is cryptofascist propaganda and I'm only half joking when I say that lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Skull Servant posted:

I definitely do not have enough confidence in myself to replace it without damaging it in some way. I replaced the PSU in my desktop this week and that was stressful enough.

I don't know how easy it is to assess how difficult a task is without ever having done it.

To be honest that sounds way harder than replacing a phone battery which is just a lot of fidgety bits.

Batteries don't have planned obsolescence they're just short-lived and you can't design a better battery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Designing the phone so you can't replace lovely breaky parts without special tools however, that's planned obsolescence.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

Going to hurl poo poo at you irl so I can be a true shitposter

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Torn between Burgon and Butler for Deputy.
What are peoples' views?

Ed: wrote Foster instead of Butler by mistake - now corrected.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 22, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I just remembered that I need to think about whether or not my new phone has a headphone jack. Truly we live in the stupidest loving age.

I do not want to have to buy expensive new earbuds. Sake. Especially ones I will inevitably lose.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Designing the phone so you can't replace lovely breaky parts without special tools however, that's planned obsolescence.
Depends on whether making the parts changeable without special tools would lead to them breaking more in general use cases. (Which you can in part blame more on a design/marketing fad for glass and metal more than deliberate evil finger tapping planned obsolescence, but also on ingress protection ratings and on devices becoming monoliths rather than things with parts.)

Certain manufacturers being explicitly anti right-to-repair is bad though. :getout:

Jose posted:

How will he know which feces throwing Geordie is you? :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Torn between Burgon and Foster for Deputy.
What are peoples' views?

Do you mean Dawn Butler? Dawn Foster is the columnist.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

I just remembered that I need to think about whether or not my new phone has a headphone jack. Truly we live in the stupidest loving age.

I do not want to have to buy expensive new earbuds. Sake.

For real tho, this is what made me leave apple.

For my money optimize battery life - processor and memory and such is important but a bigass battery is a real QoL improvement. I got a Moto G7 Power on black Friday sale for 99 quid and I'm quite happy with it, even though I broke the loving screen within a month of getting it.

Jose posted:

still better than carlisle

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Do you mean Dawn Butler? Dawn Foster is the columnist.

Oops yes!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As twisto pointed out a few months back, getting a bunch of cheap earbuds is a good way to optimize phone battery life. Running low power Bluetooth 4.0 takes a lot less work for the phone than powering an onboard DAC and audio amplifier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My phone barely works but I get around that by never speaking to anyone.

I keep doing that too, in fairness :v:

Butler seems good, don't know much about Burgon but I haven't seen anything to put me off Butler.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

forkboy84 posted:

Thanks for the phone recs folks.

I can vouch for OnePlus, I paid more than your budget for mine, but I did it over 2 years ago with no plans to replace it, so may be worth looking for old models.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1219717631516856323

:wtc:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh good I've always wanted to know what 2DTV would be like if done by an American who has only a tangential understanding of British politics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kickstarter idea that I get to make an animated political comedy about *throws dart* the parliamentary politics of *throws dart* Kazakhstan.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've got a smart phone, it's started reflexively crashing every time I try to open one of Jose's twitter links

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Marmaduke! posted:

I've got a smart phone, it's started reflexively crashing every time I try to open one of Jose's twitter links

Probably for the best tbh. Nothing good has come of twitter.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I'm just gonna leave this here.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jan/22/the-poo-panacea-inside-the-strange-surprising-world-of-faecal-transplants

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pooping back and forth for health reasons

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Torn between Burgon and Butler for Deputy.
What are peoples' views?

Ed: wrote Foster instead of Butler by mistake - now corrected.

Burgon's a good egg, but has had some pretty uninspiring appearances on Question Time.

The only stuff I know about Butler is on her Wikipedia page.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Flops backs Nandy

e: & I'm sticking with Raynor for deputy purely to maintain Momentum's political influence, we're not done with it yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jess voted Nandy in Nando's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Azza Bamboo posted:

Culture wars is happening and like any smart enemy they've copied our weapons. They've named identities with the specific purpose of subverting the values and establishments that the socially progressive seek to uphold. In the antisemitism nonsense, they've even created and normalised a kind of outrage and awareness that, were it applied to anything other than Israel, they'd probably consider to be "political correctness gone mad". The political right have learned from us, but their distinct advantage is that they don't actually have to make any attempt to support the wellbeing of tradwives or jews or who else. All they want is to limit socially progressive people in the same ways that they feel limited and attacked by the socially progressive left.

This is a good post.

Maybe someone Twitter savvy could flood #tradwives with "how to spot spousal abuse" infographics