Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SharePoint groups have to be mail enabled, so if you're happy to redo all your Azure AD security groups as mail-enabled ones then you can use them in SharePoint Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

Thanks Ants posted:

SharePoint groups have to be mail enabled, so if you're happy to redo all your Azure AD security groups as mail-enabled ones then you can use them in SharePoint Online.

The same is true if you want to use security groups in either On Premise or AAD to grant full access / send as for Exchange online mailboxes; they need to be mail enabled. It's pretty trivial to use PowerShell to mass mail enable the groups and then hide them from the GAL at the same time. A little time syncing (depending on location) and you're done

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Bob Morales posted:

They don't have...an FTP site?

We used to get this zip code software for our IBM. Every few months you get a CD in the mail (that you pay for) and then the IBM guy had to load the disc up

I asked if he could just download it instead of paying for the CD. he called and asked and they said no

A couple months later they email saying they siwtched to downloads only. My theory was the CD burner broke

Jesus Christ is that ZIP/CITY? We still get that via CD in the mail.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

USPS provides this over API these days

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The guy in the cube next to me is literally singing with his headphones in. It is days like these where I am reminded how much I would like to work from home.

At one of my last jobs the guy would watch Netflix or Youtube in his cube every day and instead of laughing out loud he would giggle and rub his hands together. Eventually I started tracking every time he did that and it got to over 25 one day so I told my boss and he was put on any printer ticket and imaging computers all day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Yea, one of those

http://www.worksright.com/services.asp

quote:

PRODUCT DOWNLOADS

PER/MAIL monthly updates can now be downloaded.

Instructions for downloading and installing PER/MAIL updates can be found here

http://www.worksright.com/documents/PERDldInst.pdf
:haw:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Speaking of sharepoint, I discovered a page with all the systems documentation I’ve been asking for for the past 4 months out of the blue. Nobody is aware that it exists. Organization!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Woof Blitzer posted:

Speaking of sharepoint, I discovered a page with all the systems documentation I’ve been asking for for the past 4 months out of the blue. Nobody is aware that it exists. Organization!

In the :yaybutt: shadow-IT era you innovate too quickly to be held back by having to build documentation and sort it into categories, just search for everything you want to find :350: (assuming you know the search terms)

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Jesus, imagine working here.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What in the holy gently caress

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Fool posted:

I'm surprised they felt the need to "document" that conversation. Seems like the opposite of what you'd want to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After I read it and before I noticed the date I assumed it was from the 80's or earlier.

Doing that today seems like a slam dunk discrimination lawsuit.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
What the...?

Credit check for conditions of hiring? “As you know, many firms perform credit checks.”

I know no firms that do credit checks.

And gently caress you for asking me to buy a shiny car. It is absolutely none of your concern what make/model/condition my car is.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The only time I've ever heard of car requirements are when the company is paying the lease.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

What the...?

Credit check for conditions of hiring? “As you know, many firms perform credit checks.”

And gently caress you for asking me to buy a shiny car. It is absolutely none of your concern what make/model/condition my car is.

Credit checks are incredibly common starting a few years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saw that letter on the reddits, and if anyone cares: the car they're mad about is a 2005 Camry. No dents, just faded paint. They also don't drive it to any kind of sales meetings or anything, it just sits in the company garage.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Saw that letter on the reddits, and if anyone cares: the car they're mad about is a 2005 Camry. No dents, just faded paint. They also don't drive it to any kind of sales meetings or anything, it just sits in the company garage.

That car would be matte pink by the end of the week.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
That is a really poorly written email for someone that is supposedly vice president of HR

"Frankly..."
"To be more frank..."

What's next, "To be frankest"???

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

PancakeTransmission posted:

That is a really poorly written email for someone that is supposedly vice president of HR

"Frankly..."
"To be more frank..."

What's next, "To be frankest"???

I feel like anyone who would write that email isn't too bright anyway. That being said, it's entirely possible the whole thing is fake.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

PBS posted:

I feel like anyone who would write that email isn't too bright anyway. That being said, it's entirely possible the whole thing is fake.

If it is real, they deserve the impending lawsuit.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

The Fool posted:

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of drooling lawyers.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sickening posted:

Credit checks are incredibly common starting a few years ago.

Not to mention that espionage (industrial and otherwise) and bribery are valid concerns. All federal IT staff in positions beyond entry helpdesk that I know are credit checked.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I (sadly) don't see anything legally actionable there. I would have to choose my words carefully in that meeting because it's unwise to tell a VP "I drive a 20 year old car because I like it and don't give a gently caress about your stupid status symbols" but there's nothing illegal there as far as I can tell.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Sheep posted:

Not to mention that espionage (industrial and otherwise) and bribery are valid concerns. All federal IT staff in positions beyond entry helpdesk that I know are credit checked.

Joke's on you, since thanks to spying, fraud, and large-scale embezzlement at all of my previous jobs, I drive a shiny new car and my credit rating is absolutely stellar!

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

xzzy posted:

I knew a guy who got told his vehicle was inappropriate. But to be fair, he was visiting customers and was driving his wife's farm truck because some of these customers lived out in the country, down lovely roads and so the 'image thing' was a valid issue.

Actually, now I think about it, that also happened to me once. No credit check or formal warning, though.
At the time, I said something along the lines that as they weren't paying me much, I chose not to prioritise a shiny car but if they paid me more, I'd upgrade.

Twat Waffle posted:

That car would be matte pink by the end of the week.
I then did something like that.
I did not enjoy good relationships at that job.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If a company gives a poo poo about someone's vehicle then they are welcome to provide one they feel is more appropriate. Does it get them to work on time? Cool, it's doing the trick.

Unless it's had a Tom Green-style airbrush job I guess.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I (sadly) don't see anything legally actionable there. I would have to choose my words carefully in that meeting because it's unwise to tell a VP "I drive a 20 year old car because I like it and don't give a gently caress about your stupid status symbols" but there's nothing illegal there as far as I can tell.
I read it this morning and thought it was great considering I had to attend a company wide "Anti-Bullying & Harassment" training seminar on the same day. While nothing particularly unlawful had actually taken place you can bet a court would want a drat good explanation to back up their justification, but if I understand American law you're pretty much SOL regardless.

May as well just shine them on with a "Gee willickers! If you're concerned about the quality of my car I would be very happy to accept a Ford GT on your behalf!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's people's preferred way to run console applications as a Windows service? I have a big VM in Azure that I am going to power up on-demand as it's used to render images, and I need to load up the render node and pass a very basic command line switch along to it to tell it where to look for jobs.

Is there any reason not to use the PowerShell New-Service command?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

What's people's preferred way to run console applications as a Windows service? I have a big VM in Azure that I am going to power up on-demand as it's used to render images, and I need to load up the render node and pass a very basic command line switch along to it to tell it where to look for jobs.

Is there any reason not to use the PowerShell New-Service command?

I would use a machine level startup batch instead of a service for that. Unless you need the script ran after a specific service going up it’s more flexible that way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've just remembered that I can also just create a scheduled task for this as there's no need for it to be a service. I don't want to run it with any privileges above a standard user account.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WTF for the day:

code:
#   BOSS Note:   To prevent Linux from using the port numbers that FORMER EMPLOYEE is using here, we have to reserve the                                      
#   port numbers.   This prevents linux from assigning them when making outgoing connections.    Example:  FORMER EMPLOYEE wants to
#   use port 34356 but ds keeps using it to connect to erp.   ds.ourcompany.com:34356 -> erp.ourcompany.com:3306
#   to reserve the port numbers edit /etc/sysctl.conf and modify the net.ipv4.ip_local_reserved_ports entry.   Currently it looks like
#   this:  "net.ipv4.ip_local_reserved_ports=34354,34355,34356,34357,34358,34359,34360,34361,34362,34363"
#   save the file and then run "sysctl -p" to reload the configuration from the config files.  Ports should be reserved.
#   DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE BACKUP SERVER ALSO!!!!
#
for port in $SQL
do
  #production
  nohup /usr/bin/php /usr/local/apache2/www/ATBarcodeListener.php $port >> /home/RFIDtickets/ATBarcodeListener_$port.txt &
  #devel
  #nohup /root/php-build/php-5.3.5/sapi/cli/php /usr/local/apache2/www/ATBarcodeListener.php $port >> /home/RFIDtickets/ATBarcodeListener_$port.txt &
done
Troubleshooting an issue where something crashes because of an unsafe SQL statement.

WHY THE gently caress aren't you just using a server that accepts connections on 1 standard port then starts a new thread to handle each socket...
And why the gently caress did you write a 'server' in php!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

WTF for the day:

:words:

Is Nginx not good enough for this?

Edit*
LOL PHP
Double LOL for PHP < 7
LOL^4 for PHP < 5.6

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
So I'm finishing up my third week of Short-Term Disability after getting an abscess. Got admitted to the hospital right after New Year's when I had an unbearable pain when trying to sit. loving thing was super-infected and the tissue turned necrotic. I was in the hospital for 5 days because I also suffered acute kidney injury (either from some of the drugs or because of the contrasting dye they used for the CT scan). Abscess was 3" deep and about the size of a loving oversized golf ball, and the tissue that turned necrotic was the size of an old silver dollar coin.

I'd managed to avoid hospitals for drat near 47 years, and all of a sudden I was admitted twice within 6 months. Not my finest year. Work, fortunately, was very understanding. I figured I'd have to burn my PTO and sick leave, but our HR department was like "nope - call this number and start STD. Concentrate on healing and taking care of yourself. Your job will be here when you get back." I was actually shocked - pretty much every job I've ever had was all "gently caress you for getting sick. Get back to work peon!" and then my current employer ruins my image of all companies as soulless machines that dispose of broken parts with careless abandon.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Daylen Drazzi posted:

So I'm finishing up my third week of Short-Term Disability after getting an abscess. Got admitted to the hospital right after New Year's when I had an unbearable pain when trying to sit. loving thing was super-infected and the tissue turned necrotic. I was in the hospital for 5 days because I also suffered acute kidney injury (either from some of the drugs or because of the contrasting dye they used for the CT scan). Abscess was 3" deep and about the size of a loving oversized golf ball, and the tissue that turned necrotic was the size of an old silver dollar coin.

I'd managed to avoid hospitals for drat near 47 years, and all of a sudden I was admitted twice within 6 months. Not my finest year. Work, fortunately, was very understanding. I figured I'd have to burn my PTO and sick leave, but our HR department was like "nope - call this number and start STD. Concentrate on healing and taking care of yourself. Your job will be here when you get back." I was actually shocked - pretty much every job I've ever had was all "gently caress you for getting sick. Get back to work peon!" and then my current employer ruins my image of all companies as soulless machines that dispose of broken parts with careless abandon.

Take care of yourself and your wounds, you don't want to develop a fistula or experience dehiscence.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Edit*
LOL PHP
Double LOL for PHP < 7
LOL^4 for PHP < 5.6

Isn't there some colossal vulnerability before 5.6 too? Some neuron in my brain is wiggling but not providing any details.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

Isn't there some colossal vulnerability before 5.6 too? Some neuron in my brain is wiggling but not providing any details.

If by "some" you mean "64" then sure.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-74/product_id-128/version_id-105871/PHP-PHP-5.3.6.html

3 of those are 10.0's

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Edit*
LOL PHP
Double LOL for PHP < 7
LOL^4 for PHP < 5.6

This server is getting trashed soon, almost everything in it has been moved to 7.2

Basically it gets strings from barcode readers and then sticks them in a database depending on where they were scanned in

Factory floor, a build packet comes along, worker scans it, we now know that build x is at station Y

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Agrikk posted:

What the...?

I once briefly worked for a commodity trading business that did a full background and credit check on all new hires. I had to have a private conversation with the president of the company about my student loans at the time because they were concerned they were too large (around $25k) at the time. Basically I had to explain to him my plan to pay them off, which was an odd conversation... my plan depended on me being gainfully employed and thus earning income to pay them off!

About 4 months into that job they announced that while they would still be doing credit checks they wouldnt concern themselves with student loan debt anymore. They were shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that the majority of applicants under 30 had some sort of student loan debt.

But I guess when you inherit the company from your father and get all of your post secondary paid for by your parents this comes to news as you.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I work at an FI so I wasn't super shocked when they credit checked me during my application. That being said they also didn't give any shits about my student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I got credit checked by Aramark to be a loving barista, and this was 2 decades ago.To be fair though, Aramark is an awful loving company, even by large multi-national and food service standards.