Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For the ones you do have, I'd probably recommend 4. If you can get your hands on the missing titles, 5 is probably the best place to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nexus is pretty skippable to be honest. 5 and 2U are both great though.

I want a new one already. Lets see that switch transition

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok thanks!

I was playing 4 some tonight but I think I’ve hosed my self lol.

I might just order 5 off amazon and start fresh.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Now what have you gotten yourself into? There are ways to get out of sticky situations in this series if you know how, and the later games are more forgiving with what may seem like permanent screw ups at first glance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

That seems unlikely.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Araxxor posted:

Now what have you gotten yourself into? There are ways to get out of sticky situations in this series if you know how, and the later games are more forgiving with what may seem like permanent screw ups at first glance.

Regy Rusty posted:

That seems unlikely.

Well I’m probably exaggerating but my team is level 21 and I got to the mismia Forrest and got my rear end handed to me.

TBF though it had been a year since I played the game last.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Well I’m probably exaggerating but my team is level 21 and I got to the mismia Forrest and got my rear end handed to me.

TBF though it had been a year since I played the game last.

Oh, that's just a natural part of the series. A new locale can hand your rear end to you hard when you first visit it. So it's a bit of an uphill battle at first as you work to get through the new place.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Out of morbid curiosity, when does subclassing unlock in Nexus? I'm guessing pretty late.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, when does subclassing unlock in Nexus? I'm guessing pretty late.

The very end of Labyrinth 8, right before the boss fight. Which is basically some time after Master skills get unlocked.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Araxxor posted:

The very end of Labyrinth 8, right before the boss fight. Which is basically some time after Master skills get unlocked.
So a ways down the line. I'm nearly to 40 already (thanks, Alice!).

I really have no idea what subs I'd even throw on my party, I should probably think about that. Any standout recommendations for Hero/Imperial/Ronin Farmer/Medic?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Subclassing is pretty weak in EON; it's mostly shopping for passives as most active skills aren't worth using at half level.

Maybe the best physical subclass is Ronin with 12% more damage from Duel (against enemies attacked last turn) and 9% more physical damage from Phys ATK Up. Speed Up can also be useful for skills with a low chance to miss.
The second best subclass should be Gunner for a 9% chance at Multi-Shot while they also have Phys ATK Up. More volatile but Multi-Shot is just fun when it works.
While these two are the best compared to Bushi or god forbid Gladiator it's not a big difference to the other subclass options, though.

Highlander is a nice all around subclass for Phys ATK Up, Phys DEF Up, HP Up and Bloody Veil. Bloody Offense also goes up to 30% at half level but with a four turn duration it might be a bit too annoying for a damage class to keep it active.
Nightseeker is good when you have some ailment support for Proficiency and Follow Trace.
Then there is Landsknecht with Single Devotion which gives 10% - but mixed elemental skills only get 3% from it. Status DEF Up and Phys DEF Up are ok but other than a Nightseeker probably no offensive class is fast enough for Proficiency and Initiative.

Any sword class can make use of Imperial just for Drive Blade access and Accel Drive if you really have a lot of points to spare. Even at half level it's still stronger than many other skills at full level.
Similarely sword classes can also go with War Magus for the War Edge Mastery passive while wielding a staff. Physical staffs actually have better ATK than swords on their level they are just a bit more rare. You also get Phys ATK Up while Imperial only has Elem ATK Up. But no War Magus skill is really worth using for a subclass.
In the end War Magus comes out ahead if you don't use Accel Drive; the pen-ultimate staff has 230 ATK and a 7% damage increase from War Edge Mastery plus the 9% from Phys ATK Up (the ultimate staff is magical) while the ultimate Drive Blade has 240 ATK and neither bonus.
But if you have the points for Accel Drive Imperial should be ahead, especially for Hero. An Accel Drive Afterimage is the dream - and it happens with a 50% chance, unless you use Charge Image to make it 100%. Throw in Force Boost the next turn and you are in business.

Take your pick. The best subclasses from a damage perspective would probably be Hero/Imperial or Hero/War Magus (or maybe Hero/Highlander if you focus on shield skills), Imperial/Ronin, Ronin/Gunner.
Hero/Gunner should also work since Afterimages inherit your Hero's passives so they'll also get their chance to Multi-Shot. I'm not sure about Hero/Ronin - Duel should not work for an Afterimage unless it stays around for longer than one turn but it might also inherit the "attacked last turn" status of the Hero.
But really, the differences are not that big. Offensive subclassing is not really all that interesting, sadly.

For Farmer I found Arcanist to be a good fit. Status ATK Up helps make Lullaby even more ridiculous, Warding Mist is nice when it works, Bracing Walk is decent even this late in the game (but probably not needed in your party) and while it maxes out at 14% Atrophic Eye is still a defence debuff. Now the Circle skills have pretty terrible infliction chances, especially at half level - but then again, what else will your Farmer learn at like 70+?

Your Medic can probably make use of Sovereign. Attack Order has at least the decency to scale to 23% at half level. And while Prevent Order will only reach a 71% chance to do its job your LUCless frontline could really use any help to not get inflicted with stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Make everyone a farmer so they can use guns and equip a gun in every offhand so the Shogun can use their gun volley skill.

Problem solved.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Hold up. I can actually use a farmer in EO:N and my party won't be totally gimped? That sounds awesome! What works well with them?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
They kind of go with anything, except if maybe you have full binds and sleep covered. Their weakness is partially offset by the extra XP.
I'd say use one if you have four classes down but can't decide on a fifth.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Anything with a strong Force Boost works great with Farmer because their Force Break fill up the Force Gauge of all other party members. It also has a 33% chance to repair broken gauges - but that's really unreliable so it's better not to build your strategy around that.

Most Boosts of damage classes give a 1.4x damage multiplier and having that for three extra turns is already nice.
But then you have stuff like Hero who gets nothing for themself but a +50% chance to create an Afterimage (which stacks to 100% with the Afterimage passive) and gives all their Afterimages a 2.8x damage multiplier for some big if delayed hits.
Ronin gets unleashed by their Boost. Normally their T2 skills reduce the duration of their Stances by two turns so you have to re-apply your Stance every few turns. This gets negates by their Boost so they can spam strong skills with wreckles abandon. However the "disable skills next turn" penalty of their T3 skills doesn't get removed by their Boost. Using your Force Break doesn't count as a skill, though, and if you don't plan on using any skills on the turn your Farmer uses their Break you can use the T3 skill twice over the course of your two Boosts.
Highlander should also greatly benefit from more Boosts. Their strongest spammable skill is Legion Charge but at max level it eats 50% of your party's HP - but the Highlander's Boost heals the party for a portion of the damage inflicted (which is easily an overheal with EO's damage/HP ratio on the player side) which negates this downside.

Of the supporters Sovereign would probably most enjoy more Boosts since it turns their Orders to party wide skills, allowing them faster buffing.

Additionally at 40+ Farmer gets Lullaby which, like in EOIII, puts them to sleep and tries to inflict sleep on the entire enemy party. It maxes out at a 75% infliction chance but Farmer's LUC is so high that's basically 100%. I have yet to see it fail against a random encounter enemy that doesn't resist sleep and it works on most FOEs and bosses.
Also at 40+ they get Fruitful Song which regenerates the party's TP by walking. You can spam your strongest skills and still go nearly infinite.

Farmer still doesn't do much on most turn during combat but their Force Break makes them a valuable asset in boss fights while Lullaby and Fruitful Song trivialize random encounters at 40+. With the gather skills you can also have enough money to almost always have the best equipment, heal HP and TP every time you gather and with Earth's Bounty you are about 3 levels ahead of the curve for most of the game.

While they have significent downsides and need a proper party to make use of their support Farmer is a real class now. I just hit the 12th labyrinth with Hero/Ronin Gunner/Sovereign/Farmer and the Farmer has been incredibly useful.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

In boss fights, Farmer's primary purpose is to use their Force Break, which restores all party members' Force Gauge to full (unless it's already broken, in which case they have a 33% of unbreaking and and also refilling it instead). So they synergize with classes that benefit very well from consecutive Force Boosts like Imperial, Hero, and Gunner - Farmer parties usually aim to burst down the boss as quickly as possible.

In dungeon exploration, they're probably straight-up the best class in the entire game because aside from their usual drop boosting skills, they have Lullaby, an incredibly accurate Sleep-inflicting skill, that hits all enemies, with 200% speed modifier. So yeah. The only drawback is that they need to wait for level 40 to unlock it, but once they do, they basically make explorations a complete breeze.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 25, 2020

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I cleared EO4! Now to just do post game stuff.

What all carries over for new game plus?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
You keep your characters and their equipment, pretty much everything else resets.
Inventory, storage, shop unlocks, class unlocks, subclass unlock, monster codex, item compendium, maps, quest completion, achievements - all gone. Not sure about your money.

You can bring a character with an unlockable class and/or a subclass back into NG+ but you can not create an unlockable class or give a subclass after resting your character - until you unlock that stuff again, of course.
There are also no low level katanas or Drive Blades so low level Bushi and especially Imperial are severely hindered in a NG+ run.

Starting with the next game NG+ gives you a menu with a wide selection of stuff you can keep. But sadly in EOIV almost everything gets deleted.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, okay, I can work with that. I just didn't want to lose my current members.

When you retire can you change class? Does it also change their name?

Also why is hall of darkness so spooky :ohdear:

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
If a character retires they... retire. You delete said character and their equipment! Later games strip them beforehand, I think. But I'm still paranoid and remove their equipment myself before retiring.
After deletion you create a completely new character that is level 30 or half of the level of the deleted character, whatever is lower. The new character also gets a stat and skill point bonus depending on the level of the deleted character.
You can however give your new character the same name, portrait and class (unless the class is locked because EOIV NG+) and pretend they are the same character.

Hall of Darkness is spooky because of the evil things that happened there. You can find journals scattered around that detail its lore.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The real question is, why does the fifth dungeon have such awesome music.

I think this is straight up the best song in the whole franchise. I used to just idle in the maze because it's so good.

theshim
May 1, 2012

My party hit Master skills and uh, Lullaby :stare:

FelicityGS posted:

Also why is hall of darkness so spooky :ohdear:
I love Hall of Darkness! It's absolutely terrifying, has interesting statues that you should very definitely check, and has one hell of a battle theme.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

I don't know if it's me or if it's EON, but I can't seem to get into it. I've played and beaten EOU 1+2 and 5. I've gotten fairly far into 4 before life made me put my DS down for a long while. I can't for the life of me figure out if I just can't build a party I'm happy with our what. Every time I reach mid way through the second big dungeon I just kinda taper off.

Any opinions on going back and restarting 4 or if there are specific party setups to avoid in Nexus?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

theshim posted:

My party hit Master skills and uh, Lullaby :stare:

I love Hall of Darkness! It's absolutely terrifying, has interesting statues that you should very definitely check, and has one hell of a battle theme.

I checked the statues and got party wiped :mad:

werbear posted:

If a character retires they... retire. You delete said character and their equipment! Later games strip them beforehand, I think. But I'm still paranoid and remove their equipment myself before retiring.
After deletion you create a completely new character that is level 30 or half of the level of the deleted character, whatever is lower. The new character also gets a stat and skill point bonus depending on the level of the deleted character.
You can however give your new character the same name, portrait and class (unless the class is locked because EOIV NG+) and pretend they are the same character.

Hall of Darkness is spooky because of the evil things that happened there. You can find journals scattered around that detail its lore.

Cool, thanks!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nexus was pretty hard for me to play constantly, I had to take small breaks after each dungeon. I blame it on the fact that most of the themes are reused from older games. A lot of them are forests too which got tiring

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

d3lness posted:

I don't know if it's me or if it's EON, but I can't seem to get into it. I've played and beaten EOU 1+2 and 5. I've gotten fairly far into 4 before life made me put my DS down for a long while. I can't for the life of me figure out if I just can't build a party I'm happy with our what. Every time I reach mid way through the second big dungeon I just kinda taper off.

Any opinions on going back and restarting 4 or if there are specific party setups to avoid in Nexus?

Are you having trouble getting through the game, or are you just falling off? If the former, what's the problem you're running into? If you're just falling off, you're far from the only one. Quite a few others just kinda fell off the game as well for various reasons.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Araxxor posted:

Are you having trouble getting through the game, or are you just falling off? If the former, what's the problem you're running into? If you're just falling off, you're far from the only one. Quite a few others just kinda fell off the game as well for various reasons.

I keep bouncing off it. Every other game felt like I was exploring uncharted territory and it was me vs the unknown. An earlier post makes a good point that the dungeons are all reused. I thought I could get past that, but apparently a giant pile of classes isn't enough to get me into the game. I think I enjoyed PQ more than EON.

theshim
May 1, 2012

FelicityGS posted:

I checked the statues and got party wiped :mad:
So say we all, friend :unsmigghh:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

It feels like a lot of EO:N bosses are just needlessly spongey/too much HP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Aerofallosov posted:

It feels like a lot of EO:N bosses are just needlessly spongey/too much HP.

The problem is more that there are too many possible team combinations, and for some of them it's a slog and for others the bosses die in 2 turns.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah. It's easy to build a weak or low working together team. But I'm going to definitely add a farmer. I'm just going through EO:V first. I have a weird brain worm about going in order.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I survived the statues fight.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh my god those dolls why is this place like this everything is so tense every encounter :negative:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
And that's one of the most benign encounters, too. Hey, new hammer!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

blizzardvizard posted:

Nexus is a celebration of the entire series that serves as a punctuation point to end of its run on the 3DS, but on its own merit I'd say it's in the... worse half of the series. It relies on dungeon/boss callbacks as the hook for you to keep moving along, but if you strip away the nostalgia honestly it's a rather repetitive game.

I'd recommend 5; it's a return to form in that it focuses on the core dungeon-crawling experience after 3 and 4's dabble in overworld exploration, but at the same time it really improves upon the original formula with its creative dungeon concepts and class mechanics, and I think it's just a tight package overall. I'd say it's the strongest game aesthetically as well.

I'm going through Nexus right now, but since I didn't start getting into this series until IV, and haven't played all of them, I'm not getting all of the references so it still feels pretty fresh. I'm disappointed it doesn't seem to have an English dub, though. I liked the voices in V.

EOIV was fun because I downloaded the demo on a whim one day, having entirely missed this series of games somehow, and enjoyed it, but I love EOV even more. One thing I do miss in Nexus from V is cooking. I liked having little campfire spots in the dungeons to camp out and make food and I miss fishing even though there was only like two kinds of fish.

theshim
May 1, 2012

okay I just want to say that Kvasir sucks and it's an actual crime we didn't get Missy back

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

theshim posted:

okay I just want to say that Kvasir sucks and it's an actual crime we didn't get Missy back

yes

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
There is also a distinct lack of lady boners in Nexus, as far as I've discovered anyway.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The guildmaster isn't bad depending on your tastes

theshim posted:

Kvasir is great because he sucks, except for the parts where he really sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

yes