Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

Didn’t he have the top of the line VMware certification and not even past the age of twenty five?

Smart dude but I feel awful for his coworkers, managers and everyone else in his presence.

No. He was working on VMware datacenter. Don’t think he ever got it. He stopped sending me pictures of his cosplay a few years ago so no idea where he ended up.

E: shine on you crazy diamond. My favorite daf was him trying to purposely wreck his base model m3. He drained the oil as I recall to ensure it got totaled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Someone here has him on LinkedIn. I’m sure he was in the goon group.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Last time he posted here I asked him about his vcdx tox being passed. He said he saw the light that certs were stupid.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

Someone here has him on LinkedIn. I’m sure he was in the goon group.

I’d look in the group but I don’t know his real name

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

The perfectly placed window at the bottom of the staircase, just waiting for someone to trip.

Apropos nothing and possibly :nms: but that link to imgur served me up this link right below the photos:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lentini

Three legs, four feet and two sets of functioning male genitalia. I don’t even...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Three legs, four feet and two sets of functioning male genitalia.

Don't doxx me.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't doxx me.

I have to know...do you have two bladders as well? How do you pee, you don't look wide enough to take up two urinals? Do you use one set of genitalia to masturbate and the other to fornicate with?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Twat Waffle posted:

I have to know...do you have two bladders as well? How do you pee, you don't look wide enough to take up two urinals? Do you use one set of genitalia to masturbate and the other to fornicate with?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!

He’s 6’10. He’s literally a monster if you look at him in person. He’s like 800 centimeters in Canada talk. I’m surprised he only has 2 of everything

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Fool posted:

If anyone cares I ordered an HP Elite Dragonfly

Going to be testing it along side this dock.

I use this dock daily, it has a fan that runs all the freaking time no matter what I'm doing on my laptop. It's a pretty common issue too

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-120w-Thunderbolt-dock-fan-noise/td-p/6943333

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

I’d look in the group but I don’t know his real name

Sent you a PM.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mattfl posted:

I use this dock daily, it has a fan that runs all the freaking time no matter what I'm doing on my laptop. It's a pretty common issue too

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-120w-Thunderbolt-dock-fan-noise/td-p/6943333

This just makes me wonder, what are they doing in the dock that it needs a fan? I have a Lenovo TB3 dock that I run 3 monitors off of all day long and I'm not sure if it even gets warm.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Eletriarnation posted:

This just makes me wonder, what are they doing in the dock that it needs a fan? I have a Lenovo TB3 dock that I run 3 monitors off of all day long and I'm not sure if it even gets warm.
My last company gave me a crappy work laptop that would get overheated constantly. I wasn't even running anything intense, it was just a huge company so they went for the cheapest option on computers that still ran somehow and let employees deal with it.

Also, hi, thread - I'm a work-from-home QA Analyst who had a sudden urge to see if there was a thread full of folks like me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ptier posted:

Sent you a PM.

I'm only in the SA IT Mentoring group, so I didn't find him. Oh well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Will you all please stop tempting fate? You'll summon him.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Will you all please stop tempting fate? You'll summon him.

RedRum!

VMWare!

Hypervisor!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The Splash posted:

My last company gave me a crappy work laptop that would get overheated constantly. I wasn't even running anything intense, it was just a huge company so they went for the cheapest option on computers that still ran somehow and let employees deal with it.

Also, hi, thread - I'm a work-from-home QA Analyst who had a sudden urge to see if there was a thread full of folks like me.

This isn't the laptops fan that's running full time, this is the fan inside the DOCK that's running full time lol

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

mattfl posted:

This isn't the laptops fan that's running full time, this is the fan inside the DOCK that's running full time lol
Oh, oops
...how the hell

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably they picked a Thunderbolt chip that draws a lot of power (maybe they were keen to get something to market) and slapped a fan on to compensate. Not sure why they wouldn't go back and have another go when the chips matured though.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Win2008 patches ruining everything - i'm talking every stupid 2008 device that's a VM (and some physicals) getting nuked to hell and back. god bless the paranoid backups guy who makes SAN snapshots. piss off to microsoft for ruining my already hectic week

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Win2008 patches ruining everything - i'm talking every stupid 2008 device that's a VM (and some physicals) getting nuked to hell and back. god bless the paranoid backups guy who makes SAN snapshots. piss off to microsoft for ruining my already hectic week

2008 is end of life....

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

2008 is end of life....

Look, it's only 5 versions old!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CLAM DOWN posted:

2008 is end of life....

How very apropros, that's how I feel after trying in vain to move license servers off a 2008 box without everything blowing apart…

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CLAM DOWN posted:

2008 is end of life....

I know of companies, major ones too, that are now upgrading some system to 2008 from 2003 in PROD

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

CLAM DOWN posted:

2008 is end of life....

Nothing ever is end of life if the vendor doesn't update their software and/or someone is not updating ours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Nothing ever is end of life if the vendor doesn't update their software and/or someone is not updating ours.

That's not what "end of life" means. It means that is no longer supported by a vendor and among other things will experience increasingly dangerous security vulnerabilities that will never get fixed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just fired back up a WinXP machine I thought we were done with but nope gotta thank proprietary software and hardware for that one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

cage-free egghead posted:

I just fired back up a WinXP machine I thought we were done with but nope gotta thank proprietary software and hardware for that one.

OH NO one of the caps blew, who could have foretold such events?!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I still have a Win2K box in production. Can't do poo poo about it but mitigate things the best we can. Business people signed off on the risk all the way up the chain, just part of IT life I guess. Retired the last 2 NT4 systems about 2 years ago.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have an entire facility with XP machines in operations because the equipment it is for requires a special PCI card, driver and software suite that really does not like to work outside of XP sp2

They have tons of spare parts to support it until the piece of equipment in question dies or is replaced. The whole thing is basically sandboxed off and is officially classed by us as not securable and vulnerable to anything that breaks that perimeter

Manufacturing!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I long for teh day when I run into an NT4 box in production.

I have a customer with a win2k box. Yes, they are in manufacturing, why do you ask?

When I first met that client was interesting, I had just gotten the job and they were one of my first on-site visits at new company. Turns out their biggest customer is an old client of mine, was just kind of weird.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, our manufacturing plants have a bunch of old stuff I don't even know about . We have a specialty manufacturing IT group that handles most of that stuff. Custom PCI cards for special equipment, things like that. I know they scrounge ebay for certain parts to stockpile them in case something breaks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MF_James posted:

I have a customer with a win2k box. Yes, they are in manufacturing, why do you ask?

The electron microprobe is connected to several Win98 PCs…

Luckily, that's an SEP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Okay folks, I have a few AWS managed Ad deployements out there and I am looking for a MFA solution for these environments. Looks like its still limited radius, so anyone have any decent options? I would prefer to not have to spin up a EC2 just to have an agent running.

Each of these environments are small (less than 50). Right now Microsoft authenticator seems like the best choice and that wrong somehow.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Microsoft's Authenticator is great, go for it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Microsoft's Authenticator is great, go for it.

not empty quoting

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

MS MFA gets up my rear end at work because their Linux solution is so half-assed (build a RADIUS to MFA gateway and configure all your Linux clients to require RADIUS authentication). It probably works, but it doesn't show well when we already have a bunch of Duo licenses and Duo has a proper plugable authentication module.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not what "end of life" means. It means that is no longer supported by a vendor and among other things will experience increasingly dangerous security vulnerabilities that will never get fixed.

Yes that is the official textbook definition, but as you can tell from the replies there’s way too many devices reliant on EOL software because they are designed to run for decades and software simply isn’t designed like that. So the textbook definition means jack-poo poo in practice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It has a very specific meaning in our world and I would only use the phrase in that context because doing otherwise would lead to confusion.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Yes that is the official textbook definition, but as you can tell from the replies there’s way too many devices reliant on EOL software because they are designed to run for decades and software simply isn’t designed like that. So the textbook definition means jack-poo poo in practice.

It means a lot in the security world, as said, which is my world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Even outside of security, the meaning has been pretty much accepted to be “no longer supported by the vendor and everything that entails ”

Just because there are legitimate reasons to need to run a product past its end-of-life date doesn’t change the meaning of the term