Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
The Integrity one would be an annoying fix, since while it is something ghosts have, it isn't something ghosts lose, being unable to suffer Breaking Points. And losing it is the bulk of Integrity rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

nofather posted:

Searched for it and on the Discord the developer (Eric) said before the Kickstarter Platonic Body got renamed to Rapid Healing.
Oh, thank you!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

nofather posted:

The Integrity one would be an annoying fix, since while it is something ghosts have, it isn't something ghosts lose, being unable to suffer Breaking Points. And losing it is the bulk of Integrity rules.

Geist changes this, instead presenting modified breaking points ghosts are still vulnerable to instead of the standard breaking points. Integrity and its breaking points also hook into the Rank of newly risen ghosts, how many Memories the Absent can hold before suffering Memory Bleed, and how long it takes the Underworld to eat a starving ghost.

It's a dilemma, because having to include Integrity eats a lot of words, but there are enough references strewn about to it that trying to edit them out is also an effort.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Geser Khan update: poo poo, I have to write a power that will let you turn into, among other things, a seven-foot tall baby, two distinct children, your spouse and a bird without stepping on the Theoi PSP's toes.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Aww man who let the baby have Scale again

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Aww man who let the baby have Scale again

the baby hurls a dude over three mountains

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I would like to take this moment to congratulate Goku on his hard-won victory over the wizards.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Jhet posted:

I might use that idea, and I'm running a Mage Awakening 2e game. That's a sick idea. Clearly, I have fewer issues with destroying china shops with mashing things together. It fits the world we're playing in really well, and as they won't ever discover all the deep meanings part, it would be a really nice way to have some werewolves drop by for a while.

Oh, hah, I hadn't even thought of how well it'd slot into Forsaken. It definitely seems like it'd have a home there, especially given the heavy lean towards maintaining the spiritual integrity of whatever territories are staked out. Though 'territory' would be quite a bit more transient, in this case. By all means, adapt it however you like!

Axqu posted:

Dude!! That idea loving rules. I don't think I'm old enough to do the idea justice (born in '92) but that's really drat cool and I like it lots. Might tangentially mention something like it in my game; the need for an underground anti-authoritarian wild party scene is already served by the local Brujah clan's rants and raves, and a traveling caern like that probably wouldn't want to hang out in a city where vampires have a stranglehold on the working class. Or, hell, maybe they'd want to come in and shake up the status quo.

Personally, I've always found the division between Brujah and Gnawer to be a little-- IDK, shortsighted. Though there's references in books here and there where WW clearly tries to walk it back. Werewolves by and large have acknowledged that there's no point in going against vampires, as it's basically just a massive resource drain, but they'll gladly murder the hell out of Sabbat.

Like, yeah, if a particular vampire is getting a little too Wyrmy, kill 'em dead, but they're pretty natural allies if they reach out and tell these guys 'hey, so this is what 'Wyrmy' means and this is how you make that not happen, root out the dudes that do dumb poo poo, literally eat the rich, and we won't have a problem.' And I can't imagine your garden variety Brujah being a+ cool with the poo poo the Wyrm usually gets up to (especially if it's corporatized). IDK, my thoughts on how Gnawers especially handle vampire interactions are admittedly a bit more loose than how they're depicted in the books, and a canonical history of Glass Walkers especially making careful alliances with a select number of individuals only makes it seem more viable.

All that is to say: Gnawers that are already going against the grain have plenty of reason to rub elbows with Brujah that share their values, and having allies within the clan might speak to how it is they can operate in Brujah spaces without catching flack ("I know a guy who knows a guy from the next town over, they'll vouch for 'em.").

As for not knowing specifics of rave culture-- good news! There's documentaries for that.

UK Rave Scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-XrlMpwEuM
American Rave Scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aIbiZDAPx8

And, if you prefer comedic podcasts, here's a Hound Tall episode about it: https://archive.nerdist.com/hound-tall-20-raves-and-the-history-of-electronic-music/

EDIT: Honestly, what it comes down to is a big-rear end dance party where everyone's sharing the same vibe, really keyed in to making sure everyone's comfortable/having a good time, being on the lookout for any weird poo poo going on and expelling it in a hurry, so it's not too hard to do the idea justice. People of all walks of life tended to show up to these things, and it only ever really mattered that you were having a blast, and being cool to the people around you. Also lots of light shows and whatnot.

A lot of parties really went all-in on things like med tents and chillout rooms for people that were having a rough time, and if someone was in real trouble drug-wise, they'd find a way to get EMS on the scene without busting up the party. People weren't just ditched if something was going real wrong. Having kin be the frontmen for taking someone to a meetup spot to hand them off to the EMS, and take care of the chillout rooms, would work out pretty well in general.

That Old Tree posted:

I'm not into running oWoD anymore, except maybe Wraith if the planets align, but I would totally steal that spirit rave idea for Awakening maybe with some Forsaken crossover. Very cool.

By all means! Like I said, I haven't even thought of how it'd fit into the framework of CofD, and I'd be interested to hear how people use it if they end up swiping it. I'm glad all those :words: could be of some help.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 17, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The head mage of the rave has to be named Darudest or don't even act like you love the 90s.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The head mage of the rave has to be named Darudest or don't even act like you love the 90s.

Named their cabal the OakenFold.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Old Boot posted:

Named their cabal the OakenFold.

:golfclap:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

bewilderment posted:

I had a flip through Sanctum and Sigil long long ago and didn't find it helpful but it was super long ago.

From what I've established so far I guess my Consilium's system is as follows:
- As above, they have the wacky "one of each order and path, but still only five people" setup
- The role of Hierarch is basically for life (until abdication) with any contest determined by "take it if you think you can" with no real holds barred
- The prior Hierarch established a reasonably strict and stifling rule of law, right up until he was killed under mysterious circumstances (prior to campaign start)
- The new Hierarch is, outside of 'emergency circumstances', bound by existing law and has declined to remove any, but is relatively hands off and encourages cabals in their personal projects so long as they appear to be working for the betterment of the city
- The Sentinels are directed by the Hierarch, but as above, she's much less inclined to call them on anybody than her predecessor.
- Very campaign specific: almost any punishment short of death can be exchanged with exile to Tasmania, should the guilty party feel that exile is preferable to apologising to the wronged party or whatever.

That much is relatively set and can't be easily retconned. As for the rest, my rough guidelines for how the system works is as follows, but which can be changed:
- The Hierarch appoints their own council, and can dismiss them pretty much at will. Because new appointees could require a full reshuffle, this isn't done without a lot of consideration.
- The Hierarch is bound by any existing laws, but there's no real mechanism for putting them on trial and this is yet to be really tested. As long as its 'within the law' they can do whatever they like, though.
- New laws are subject to a whole council vote with the Hierarch acting only as a tiebreaker. This is somewhere I feel like I can give the PC power - the Hierarch appears to be a stickler for their own ideals so while they would love to cast a vote themselves, they can't do so without losing a lot of face. This also encourages the PC to get others on their side.
- Appointments to Herald or Sentinel also require a vote.
- The position of 'Provost' isn't really an official thing in this Consilium. Councilors may have trusted aides but they only have power insomuch as they're assumed to speak for their superior.

The council votes seem like the best place for the player to exert power but there's potentially a lot of soft power that comes with being a council member. If they oppose or critique the Hierarch, people are more likely to notice than if it was coming from some rando, which makes it more likely that anybody who opposes the current regime will drift towards the player as an ally. The player also can take advantage of the 'one of each order and path, but still only five people' thing since it makes it hard for the Hierarch to fire them - the only person to replace them with is the player's mentor, it sounds like - so the Hierarch either has to accept a rival on the council or force a big confrontation by breaking the previous rule 'one of each' rule.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Did anyone back Cults of the Blood Gods? How were the manuscript previews if so? I'll get it eventually, but I didn't have the spare change to throw at a physical book this month.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Obligatum VII posted:

I would like to take this moment to congratulate Goku on his hard-won victory over the wizards.

Is Majin Buu a Promethean? Discuss.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blockhouse posted:

all of this has happened before...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Goku's one of the Bound and King Kai is his Geist.

e: not sure if he's actually a Sin-Eater though. also Beerus is an Exarch and Frieza is a Seer and one of his Pylons

Launch is a Demon, which explains why she can switch Covers, is one of the only DB characters ever to fight with a gun, and was able to retroactively conceal all trace of herself ever existing :v:

e2: Piccolo is a Changeling, and King Piccolo was his Keeper

the Androids are Prometheans (obviously) and Cell was a Centimanus

Chiaotzu is a Vampire. Tien is a Deviant created by Master Shen, and Krillin is some weird non-splat Horror whose defining trait is having no nose.

Mr. Satan is a Hunter, and Buu is a high-ranking spirit who was tainted by the Maeljin but got better (possibly an Idigam considering his progression from formless trickster -> Kid Buu)

and as for woof, well:

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/King_Furry

e3: and finally, Yamcha is a Mummy, because they find him in the desert and he gets weaker with every passing episode

... and all of this will happen again

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

No, but several of the androids are, specifically 8

e: Better question is, what kind of Prometheans are all of the androids

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 18, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The thing is now we can be pretty sure that 17 and 18 and I guess 20 are Deviants

All the others are Prometheans yeah

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Promethean is very interesting and I wish Paradox could put up some studio to make a pc game about, because it would be an insane amount of time and effort to put a group to run a table for this around here

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Promethean seems like one of the best games to run one-on-one.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Promethean is very interesting and I wish Paradox could put up some studio to make a pc game about, because it would be an insane amount of time and effort to put a group to run a table for this around here

Promethean but adapted as a harvest moon/animal crossing/the urbz/stardew valley type of game.

Pick your starting type of promethean, try to integrate into society while accomplishing goals along your pilgrimage and try to keep the wasteland in check as well as avoiding showing your disfigurements.

Townspeople have varying types of reactions based on their own personality and your race of promethean. Managing the disquiet is very important when figuring out these different kinds of reactions and how to overcome or avoid them.

Do errands for the not-angel-things-whose-names-I've-forgotten and seek out any pandorans that are causing a ruckus.

You must maintain balance. If you don't, you'll need to move, whether because the town is now just dead from your existence or if the disquiet has caused permanent damage to citizens of the town. Sure, you can just move to another town, but you'll have to start from scratch in a lot of ways even if you'd maintain some of the milestones of your pilgrimage.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nofather posted:

Promethean seems like one of the best games to run one-on-one.

When I still had a group around, I had this ambition of running a Promethean chronicle as an extended prelude to introduce Mortal characters who would then become different kinds of supernaturals but I never had sufficient interest.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Did anyone back Cults of the Blood Gods? How were the manuscript previews if so? I'll get it eventually, but I didn't have the spare change to throw at a physical book this month.

I did, I haven't had time to actually sit down with the previews yet unfortunately. The bits in the backer updates that were just preview chunks were pretty neat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What about Vegeta?

I assume Vegeta is actually a short dude from space. Just like Jaco.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Ghost Hitler is probably the easiest to address. No one is going to object to the idea that he stepped over and was immediately dragged away screaming by the ghosts of those he murdered. Or, and this is the simplest route, say that he lacked the will to linger as a wraith - that his innate weakness of spirit that lead him into fascism doomed him from before he died to immediately slip into nothingness and crumble away. It's way simpler than trying to figure out a satisfactory Merlin.

In my headcanon, the Dark Kingdom of Wire, at least several Citadels dominated by the Grim Legion and Nazis established beyond the Shroud, each offered a high reward for bringing them the real Ghost Hitler. The result was predictable – pretty much every Reaper who could Moliate jumped on the opportunity. Soon, the market was flooded with drone Hitlers, Spectre Hitlers, actual Nazis looking like Hitler and random Hitler-like wraiths, very insistent that they are not the real one. There were even some wraiths convinced they are the real Fuhrer, because someone hired a Mnemoi to craft artificial memories for them. Soon, pretty much everyone stopped buying, leaving a horde of fake Adolfs in the Shadowlands.

Then there was a short period where every group of Nazi Renegades had a Hitler leading them. As a lot of Spectres also know Moliate and love to be edgelords, they frequently tried to borrow the look to strike some fear into the hearts of their victims. It backfired – it became bland and silly to the point it tainted the entire Nazi imagery. Twenty years after the end of the war, a wraith dressed like a Nazi would either be mistaken for a Spectre, or at best, ridiculed. Nobody in their right mind would try to look like Hitler at this point, because even Spectres consider it pathetic. As for the real Hitler, nobody knows what happened to him and most wraiths don't even care – given the multitude of fake Hitlers that went to the Forges, it's very likely the real one was among them.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Imagine being a Geist paired to Imitation Ghost Hitler. Zyklon Blue Light Special.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When is the Chicago By Night book supposed to be available on DriveThru or in stores or whatever?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When is the Chicago By Night book supposed to be available on DriveThru or in stores or whatever?

I believe Amazon said sometime in late February, but that it's also contingent on the hard copies making it out.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Does anyone have a link to a complete list of game books for Vampire? My Google-fu seems to be failing. Wikipedia seems to have book lists for Werewolf, Mage and Changeling but not for Vampire

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Masquerade or Requiem?

This seems pretty complete for Masquerade up until around fifth edition. Don't know for sure how complete this is for Requiem.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did the Kindred have any idea the Americas existed before Columbus? Were there any Native American equivalents of vampires running around?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Did the Kindred have any idea the Americas existed before Columbus? Were there any Native American equivalents of vampires running around?

There were a few meso-american bloodlines in Masquerade.

In Requiem there was a whole society there that got wiped out.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

I Am Just a Box posted:

Masquerade or Requiem?

This seems pretty complete for Masquerade up until around fifth edition. Don't know for sure how complete this is for Requiem.

Cheers dude, was mainly after Masqerade.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The new Color Out of Space film is essentially an Abyssal entity vs a small farm. The colors are amazing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

As a society, no. Individuals? Yes.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

V20 made it quite clear that the Nosferatu and Niktuku were actively cultivating blood cults in north america before the arrival of western pig-dogs and their sniveling childer of Caine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

There were a few meso-american bloodlines in Masquerade.

In Requiem there was a whole society there that got wiped out.

Including some really interesting relics that survived, like the Worm Pipe, which can resurrect the dead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember in Chicago by Night, Meneleus, a super-old "I was at Carthage" Brujah and also responsible for Pompeii fled to North America a while after blowing the city up. He led the Incas and got facerolled by Helena (the OTHER super old Methuselah in the city) and her conquistadors. After that Menele Embraced a couple of Native Americans, including one statted in the book, Yaryan (who knows a secret ritual using his namesake made up root and an 'ancient purification rite' to break Blood Bonds by the way), who is super special and isn't even listed as Brujah.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawgstar posted:

I remember in Chicago by Night, Meneleus, a super-old "I was at Carthage" Brujah and also responsible for Pompeii fled to North America a while after blowing the city up. He led the Incas and got facerolled by Helena (the OTHER super old Methuselah in the city) and her conquistadors. After that Menele Embraced a couple of Native Americans, including one statted in the book, Yaryan (who knows a secret ritual using his namesake made up root and an 'ancient purification rite' to break Blood Bonds by the way), who is super special and isn't even listed as Brujah.

There were other old metusaleh roaming around North America, see Huitzilopochtli, Mictlantecuhtli and his unknown sire as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry Lobster posted:

There were other old metusaleh roaming around North America, see Huitzilopochtli, Mictlantecuhtli and his unknown sire as well.

Are the super old Baali in the area or is that somebody else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawgstar posted:

Are the super old Baali in the area or is that somebody else?

Huitzilopochtli is the elder Baali that fled to the New World and end up sleeping in Mexico and shaped up the Aztecs.

Mictlantecuhtli was a native of a north american tribe and embraced by an unknown gangrel metusaleh. He migrated south and was revered as a god by the Mayans. His backstory also mentions how he met an unnamed Nosferatu at some point.