Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you want from the chat thread in the new year?
This poll is closed.
Video games 100 14.08%
Not Video Games 46 6.48%
poo poo Posting 56 7.89%
Bowsette 128 18.03%
Polls 58 8.17%
No poll, How many times do I have to pick this? 53 7.46%
More General Horniness 103 14.51%
Less General Horniness 72 10.14%
Serious discussion of current issues 46 6.48%
Nothing. The thread is perfect the way it is :) 48 6.76%
Total: 294 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

The real moral of Disgaea was to not let your culture define you, and to not make snap judgments of others based on their culture.

Thats the one with the culture of mostly naked anime children right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

I liked the part in Disgaea where it’s revealed that the protagonist is literally allergic to big anime tiddies, I definitely saw a bit of myself there

I don't think I can relate to this series

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

PS5 isn't portable so it's garbage imo

yeah so we need a vita 2 i agree

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

yeah so we need a vita 2 i agree

sure if they actually make games for it this time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I liked the part in Disgaea where it’s revealed that the protagonist is literally allergic to big anime tiddies, I definitely saw a bit of myself there

What was he allergic too, I know sexy women was one of them but I think there were some other things too

RBA Starblade posted:

...no?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I mean...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SHE'S A THOUSAND YEAR OLD DEMON THAT JUST LOOKS LIKE A SCHOOLGIRL IT'S FINE

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Etna's bad but I thought she was the only person in the game that looked like that

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Etna's bad but I thought she was the only person in the game that looked like that

You were wrong. Dead wrong.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

You were wrong. Dead wrong.

Are we talking about the entire franchise or just disgaea 1, because if it gets worse past disgaea 1 then yeah I wouldn't know, but if it got worse in disgaea 1 then that's just my own faulty memory and my bad.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

i remember that part because it was when even horned up anime loving 18 year old me was like "ok, this game is embarassing"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I also remember the shouty space aventurer man Jake Justice or whatever his name was and his babealicious companion, and how bored I was

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I can’t think of anyone as bad as Etna off the top of my head, but I’ve only seen a handful of games in the franchise. The cheesecake/beefcake seems relegated to actual adults in every other case.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know my brother wound up playing through phantom dust i think a few years back when it showed up on steam and had few complaints about it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
PS360 era was truly the dark ages.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You mean phantom brave? Yeah, phantom brave is very good, but also like the first quarter or fifth of the game is just very sad and it only gets sadder. It's just really frontloaded with lots of depressing poo poo and it can be hard to push through that because of how sad it is.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

You mean phantom brave? Yeah, phantom brave is very good, but also like the first quarter or fifth of the game is just very sad and it only gets sadder. It's just really frontloaded with lots of depressing poo poo and it can be hard to push through that because of how sad it is.

oh that's the one. what the heck is phantom dust

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wasn't phantom dust a popular video game card game

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think phantom dust is what gets into men’s eyes when they watch a sad thing?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i looked it up and it's like 80% phantom skin flakes gross

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jay Rust posted:

Pretty sure this is grounds for exile

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

How does Etna keep losing clothes between games, jesus

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WaltherFeng posted:

Only for Nintendo and hardware quality in general, there was a lot of good stuff on the PS3 and 360

I think I went through loving five 360s and they just kept sending me new ones. A few years back a lightning bolt hit my apartment building and set it on fire a little bit; it blew out my computer's graphics card (specifically, somehow), my tv's electronics, and shut my PS4 off, but it was otherwise undamaged. The turned off 360 melted and if you turned it back on belched smoke.

What the gently caress Microsoft.

quote:

How does Etna keep losing clothes between games, jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah microsoft why did you hit that guys house with lightning

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

yeah microsoft why did you hit that guys house with lightning

I heard you laughing Bill you piece of poo poo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

After Disgaea 1, the series dialed back on the sexualized characters. People seem to remember Disgaea 1 the best, but the later games are way better. D5 is my favorite of the series by far for how easy it is to lose yourself in doing the 200 floor dungeons. Disgaea 4 is the worst of the series though cause the story levels turned into puzzles and they sucked and were ultra hard.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 22, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rarity posted:

SHE'S A THOUSAND YEAR OLD DEMON THAT JUST LOOKS LIKE A SCHOOLGIRL IT'S FINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

After Disgaea 1, the series dialed back on the sexualized characters. People seem to remember Disgaea 1 the best, but the later games are way better. D5 is my favorite of the series by far for how easy it is to lose yourself in doing the 200 floor dungeons. Disgaea 4 is the worst of the series though cause the story levels turned into puzzles and they sucked and were ultra hard.

People remember 1 as the best because of the story, but yeah the gameplay has just gotten progressively better.

NIS used to have some good writers, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad, and Z.H.P. had decent stories.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

zounds! heinous peristalsis

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Always gonna laugh at Mastiff trying to piggyback off of Disgaea by localizing La Pucelle and then censoring the gently caress out of it to remove as many crosses and religious references as possible, and also removing a dude's cigarette but not the smoke from his cigarette

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

People remember 1 as the best because of the story, but yeah the gameplay has just gotten progressively better.

NIS used to have some good writers, Phantom Brave, Soul Nomad, and Z.H.P. had decent stories.

This is true. I don't remember the story for Disgaea 5 at all, other than the dialog cutscenes were massive text dumps that went on forever.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

I said come in! posted:

After Disgaea 1, the series dialed back on the sexualized characters.
Not really, no, Etna's outfits get increasingly fanservicy, as do some classes, not to mention Laharl-chan or one of the spinoffs revolving around finding Etna's panties. And the bonus illustrations that came with japanese perorders or limited editions. The games that dial back are the non-Disgaea ones, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom.

Chev fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 22, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chev posted:

Not really, no Etna's outfits get increasingly fanservicy, as do some classes, not to mention Laharl-chan or one of the spinoffs revolving around finding Etna's panties. And the bonus illustrations that came with japanese perorders or limited editions.

:chloe:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Andrast posted:

PS5 isn't portable so it's garbage imo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Any console is portable if you put your mind to it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Any console is portable if you put your mind to it.

The Wii U was sorta portable if you could find an outlet

The Forbidden Portability Technique... the council of Portable Gamer elders are fools, stuck in the Old Ways if they do not embrace it!!!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fear the old blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Double Punctuation posted:

I can’t think of anyone as bad as Etna off the top of my head, but I’ve only seen a handful of games in the franchise. The cheesecake/beefcake seems relegated to actual adults in every other case.

laharl also runs around shirtless and in boyshorts for the entire first game but people tend to ignore these things for dudes, probably understandably

Electric Phantasm posted:

Soul Nomad getting a rerelease would be badass but at this point I think NIS is so poor that they can't justify releasing anything non-Disgaea because that's like their only profitable IP left