Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Is anybody aware of an app that could do some auto-sorting of files based on tokens in the filename? For instance, sorting a folder full of "alpha-XXXX.doc", "bravo-XXXX.pdf", "charlie-XXX.pdf" etc files into seperate 'alpha', 'bravo', and charlie folders? Or say "alpha-edit1.pdf", "alpha_edit2.pdf", "alpha-final.pdf" into 'Edit1', 'Edit2', or 'Final' folders?

I hope that explanation makes sense.

I can't think of an app off-hand, but it could be done fairly easily with PowerShell. At its simplest, it would look something like

code:
Get-ChildItem -Path C:\folder\alpha* -File | Move-Item -Destination C:\folder\alpha\
With a little more elaboration, it could be generalized to make a pretty flexible tool that you could run as a scheduled task or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

google search: https://sumtips.com/snippets/powershell/powershell-sort-files-into-folders-based-on-filename/

I'm a dope so I'd just find a way to make Renamer do it for me: http://www.den4b.com/products/renamer

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I just realized I didn't even explain half my problem; one feature that would be an essential, which is making folders based on that token I'm moving files with in the process. It could be (and in one instance is) 1,000+ files and I could end up with 40 or 50 folders; making those is the giant pain in the rear end I'm trying to avoid having to do (and didn't explain in the first place because I'm a forgetful dope). But yeah, it looks like powershell may be up to the task, thanks!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In that case you'd preface it with New-Item to create the folders for moving into

new-item -itemtype "directory" -path "c:\folder\" -name "alpha"

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Uthor posted:

I'm looking for an app that lets me right click on a JPG (or batch of JPGs) and resize them. I have something on my desktop but don't remember what I installed and won't be home until the end of the week to check. Mainly, I use it to resize photos from my camera into something more email friendly.

Few pages back, unsure if it was answered.

I use this.
https://www.intowindows.com/resize-images-from-context-menu-in-windows-10/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I forgot all about this! Thanks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Recommendations for the easiest way to add notes on top of a video file? Want to add notes about certain parts of a video, but don't need anyone super fancy, before I upload to YouTube

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Medullah posted:

Recommendations for the easiest way to add notes on top of a video file? Want to add notes about certain parts of a video, but don't need anyone super fancy, before I upload to YouTube

Doesn't YouTube have a basic video editing feature? You might be able to do it right there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Doesn't YouTube have a basic video editing feature? You might be able to do it right there.

That's what I thought but I couldn't figure it out, and googling gave me unclear results. It could just be my Google Fu wasn't on point.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Medullah posted:

That's what I thought but I couldn't figure it out, and googling gave me unclear results. It could just be my Google Fu wasn't on point.

Apparently they discontinued most of their editing features at some point :doh:

If you're on Windows 10, there's a built-in app I'd never noticed before that's literally called Video Editor. It's not exactly feature-rich, but you can add text annotations.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
My kingdom for a god drat VLC dark mode skin that doesn't reconfigure the UI and hide/break using VLSub search/download!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Doing a long delayed refresh of my various account passwords. What does a Microsoft account now include? They rolled in skype and outlook at some point, anything else?

Edit: found the answer. Everything in the list below shares the same email and password. Jesus.

quote:

Windows 8 and later
Windows Server 2012 and later
Windows components
Calendar
Cortana
Groove Music
Feedback Hub
Mail
Movies & TV
Microsoft Store
Outlook Express
Windows Messenger
Windows Phone 7 and later
Windows Phone Store
Bing
Exchange Online
Exchange Online Protection
Microsoft Office
Office 365
Office Online
OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive)
Outlook.com (formerly Hotmail)
People
Visual Studio
Microsoft Azure (formerly Windows Azure)
Windows Insider Program
Windows Live Messenger
Windows Movie Maker
Windows Photo Gallery
Xbox Live

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 22, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fruits of the sea posted:

Doing a long delayed refresh of my various account passwords. What does a Microsoft account now include? They rolled in skype and outlook at some point, anything else?

Microsoft office. Your windows login, unless you jumped through the hoops needed for a local only account. The new Chromium based Microsoft Edge if you plan on using it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Microsoft office. Your windows login, unless you jumped through the hoops needed for a local only account. The new Chromium based Microsoft Edge if you plan on using it.

Thanks, the list I found wasn't updated for the Edge.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks, the list I found wasn't updated for the Edge.

I mean you don't have to sign into your Microsoft account to use edge, but much like your google account with chrome it allows for syncing, and various personalisation features. One thing I love in Chromium Edge is that I can store payment details as well as my Address and whatnot and basically auto fill forms when I'm online shopping - Name, Address, email, credit card number and expiry, etc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean you don't have to sign into your Microsoft account to use edge, but much like your google account with chrome it allows for syncing, and various personalisation features. One thing I love in Chromium Edge is that I can store payment details as well as my Address and whatnot and basically auto fill forms when I'm online shopping - Name, Address, email, credit card number and expiry, etc.
Don't chrome and firefox already do that as well?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mystes posted:

Don't chrome and firefox already do that as well?

Haven’t used Firefox since chrome first came out so I can’t speak for that but I don’t remember chrome being able to do that unless I missed it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, that's been a feature forever, Chrome has it as well.

Is there an option to delete all synced data from the Microsoft servers? Can't find it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I went through a horrible cycle of constantly resetting the passwords for skype, office and windows back when I got a Win8 computer and before I figured out the accounts were now all linked. Lost permanent access to an old hotmail account I had been using since I was a kid. Suffice to say I'd rather not link more services together under the same password.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So my dad is old and he’s been using AV software for years and he was asking me about PCmatic. He wants to switch from using AVG which he pays for.

Anyone have any experience with PCmatic?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If he's on Win 10 do you think there's any way to convince him to get rid of it all and just use the built in Defender?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

If he's on Win 10 do you think there's any way to convince him to get rid of it all and just use the built in Defender?

He is and I wish. I think the issue is I’m not there so if he just un installed AvG I couldn’t be sure defender would be enabled properly.

I’ve told him that before but again he’s old and set in his ways.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

This is why I have remote access set up for my FIL's computer. I can just log in and fix poo poo instead of trying to walk a 71 year old man through the necessary clicks.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just get him to download Teamviewer Quicksupport and log in through that. Never use an antivirus software that isn't Defender; it's all snake oil, and free options (Avast is probably the most popular one) are all riddled with ads and weird browser hijacking extensions.

If Defender didn't activate automatically after uninstalling AVG, get the AVG Clear or AVG Remover tool from the AVG website to completely uninstall it: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Uninstall-AVG-software-Clear-Remover&q=How+to+uninstall+AVG&supportType=home

Lambert fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 22, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lambert posted:

Just get him to download Teamviewer Quicksupport and log in through that. Never use an antivirus software that isn't Defender; it's all snake oil, and free options (Avast is probably the most popular one) are all riddled with ads and weird browser hijacking extensions.

If Defender didn't activate automatically after uninstalling AVG, get the AVG Clear or AVG Remover tool from the AVG website to completely uninstall it: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Uninstall-AVG-software-Clear-Remover&q=How+to+uninstall+AVG&supportType=home

Ok thanks! I’ll do this I’ve told him in the past that he doesn’t need it but again he’s in his 70s and remembers the hellscape that the PC world used to be.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just tell him you bought him a new program called Defender and need to install it for him.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I just had a long conversation with him about it and his current one doesn’t expire till March so he’s gonna wait till I’m back from my trip so I can teamview in and delete the current one and make sure defender is working.

Is the small successes.

Thanks guys!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I like Chrome (and Credge (and sure Firefox whatever)) and I like Windows' built in Virtual Desktops. But I have a problem, because if I put various browser windows on various desktops, and then restart the browser (eg, for an update), they all reset to ONE virtual desktop. What I would like is for each window to restore to the ORIGINAL virtual desktop it was closed from. Googling around, this is allegedly possible and/or how it's supposed to work (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1000451).

Has anyone seen a Chrome flag that relates to this behavior, or possibly some other setting, or registry tweak, or whatever? It's driving me insane.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is why I have remote access set up for my FIL's computer. I can just log in and fix poo poo instead of trying to walk a 71 year old man through the necessary clicks.

Chrome Remote Access has saved me from much headache

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So my dad is old and he’s been using AV software for years and he was asking me about PCmatic. He wants to switch from using AVG which he pays for.

AV software is snake oil and often does more harm than good. The only thing he should be using is Windows defender built into windows 10. You need to drill into him the importance of always making sure things are kept up to date, plus have ublock origin installed in his web browser - I prefer the new Chromium Edge.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MarcusSA posted:

Dear god what a terrible, cheesy name. Anyone suggestible enough to be lured by that deserves what they get.

Medullah posted:

Just tell him you bought him a new program called Defender and need to install it for him.

Haha that is genius. I'm gonna remember that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Factor Mystic posted:

I like Chrome (and Credge (and sure Firefox whatever)) and I like Windows' built in Virtual Desktops. But I have a problem, because if I put various browser windows on various desktops, and then restart the browser (eg, for an update), they all reset to ONE virtual desktop. What I would like is for each window to restore to the ORIGINAL virtual desktop it was closed from. Googling around, this is allegedly possible and/or how it's supposed to work (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1000451).

Has anyone seen a Chrome flag that relates to this behavior, or possibly some other setting, or registry tweak, or whatever? It's driving me insane.

Post this on the Edge Beta forums. It's a good use case.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Chrome Remote Access has saved me from much headache

The extension is blocked at work since our Chrome is centrally managed, otherwise I'd use that all the time. I use DWService and it's been working well for me so far. Made the switch when TeamViewer got stupid (again).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have an iCal to G Suite importing question. Is there a G Suite thread or anything?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Dear god what a terrible, cheesy name. Anyone suggestible enough to be lured by that deserves what they get.

it's easily in line with how software was named. probably still are a lot of products like this!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Okay, I am having another problem with Excel. This one is so baffling and Google simply is not helping. So I have a column full of numbers and I want to make a line chart. Every guide tells me to select the column, go to Insert > Charts > Line and pick the chart you want, and you'll get it. Okay, so I do that and...

Why is that even an option???? Anyway if I had to guess I would say that the program is somehow not recognizing the numbers as numbers, but I already used Format Cells to change all these cells to the Number format. So I'm at a loss. Again, Google isn't helping. The search "excel chart all numbers go in title" or similar only turns up results for how to give a chart a title. Has anyone dealt with this before? Also, let me know if this isn't the right place for this.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Lambert posted:

Yeah, that's been a feature forever, Chrome has it as well.

Is there an option to delete all synced data from the Microsoft servers? Can't find it.

Try here.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ariong posted:

Okay, I am having another problem with Excel. This one is so baffling and Google simply is not helping. So I have a column full of numbers and I want to make a line chart. Every guide tells me to select the column, go to Insert > Charts > Line and pick the chart you want, and you'll get it. Okay, so I do that and...

Why is that even an option???? Anyway if I had to guess I would say that the program is somehow not recognizing the numbers as numbers, but I already used Format Cells to change all these cells to the Number format. So I'm at a loss. Again, Google isn't helping. The search "excel chart all numbers go in title" or similar only turns up results for how to give a chart a title. Has anyone dealt with this before? Also, let me know if this isn't the right place for this.

Are you only highlighting that column? What is the X axis and Y axis meant to be?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ideally I’d like the X-axis to be the order of the numbers (first number all the way to the left, second number right of first, third number right of second, etc.) and the Y-axis to be the value of the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ariong posted:

Ideally I’d like the X-axis to be the order of the numbers (first number all the way to the left, second number right of first, third number right of second, etc.) and the Y-axis to be the value of the numbers.

So the data is all in one column? Or are the other columns included?