Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
lol @ this in credge

this didn't pop up in credge beta and doesn't pop up in vivaldi

block annoying ads y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
windows tryin to convince you to use edge instead of whatever you like every step of the way is trash too ofc not gonna deny that

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

AtomD posted:

windows tryin to convince you to use edge instead of whatever you like every step of the way is trash too ofc not gonna deny that

I liked that pop-up that windows used to show you iirc when you changed your default browser to chrome bc it looked like a shaggar post ("why not use the best browser, edge?" or something like that)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zlodo posted:

I liked that pop-up that windows used to show you iirc when you changed your default browser to chrome bc it looked like a shaggar post ("why not use the best browser, edge?" or something like that)

it also showed that when you used chredge previews, for maximum annoyance.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bulgakov posted:

no gods no masters installing it in a VM :justpost:

if it means an alternative to keeping a google chome install around for those times i need a non safari browser sure why not

it’s literally chrome op

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you use chredge you may be sending google less data than if you used chrome, but you're still giving google control of the Internet by ensuring chromium's dominance.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Bulgakov posted:

no gods no masters installing it in a VM :justpost:

if it means an alternative to keeping a google chome install around for those times i need a non safari browser sure why not

why would you install the beta when the final version came out last week?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

If you use chredge you may be sending google less data than if you used chrome, but you're still giving google control of the Internet by ensuring chromium's dominance.

i too do most of my activism for a better future by way of careful software selection

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i too do most of my activism for a better future by way of careful software selection
Because there's no way everyone using a specific free browser could result in that company having complete control over the web because websites can't be bothered to support anything else. That could never happen.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

this seems like "call the justice department" stuff

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1220002505117065216

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

loving with google is praxis

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

how long until every github msi download gets automatically replaced with poo poo like this, sourceforge style

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
binged again!

also lol
https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1220004309036937217

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Because there's no way everyone using a specific free browser could result in that company having complete control over the web because websites can't be bothered to support anything else. That could never happen.

it absolutely could happen, i just highly doubt we can realistically change things through individual choices.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it absolutely could happen, i just highly doubt we can realistically change things through individual choices.
Individually that's true, but Chrome achieved dominance because we spent years telling everyone to use it. The only way to fix that is to start telling everyone you know to use firefox now.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*yosposter in the town square, unkempt and unshaven, dressed in sackcloth and hollering*

"Repent! Use Firefox!"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zlodo posted:

I like the message that shows up when you press Windows-Tab demanding permission to spy on you and your only choices are Yes and Learn More

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

mystes posted:

Individually that's true, but Chrome achieved dominance because we spent years telling everyone to use it. The only way to fix that is to start telling everyone you know to use firefox now.

Why does it matter if there aren't multiple incompatible rendering engines? Seems like a good thing, I guess I'm all in on Google "controlling the web", then!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah when in the tech sector has a monopoly led to stagnation and anti-consumer behavior?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

because whomever controls the rendering engine controls what the browser is capable of doing

it isn't a coincidence that Mobile Safari is a piece of poo poo but has support for top-of-the-line high performance privacy-preserving ad blocking -- Apple doesn't want you making web sites, they want you making proprietary apps

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
when microsoft won the browser wars they went 5 loving year between ie 6 and ie 7
google has the opposite problem of constantly updating chrome and adding the latest draft rfc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah and the web has gotten worse every year since ie6

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ahh yes, the good old days of pop-ups, pop-unders and drive-by malware browser enhancement installers

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar thinks that ActiveX was better than JavaScript.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger advocated silverlight. let that sink in

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The_Franz posted:

ahh yes, the good old days of pop-ups, pop-unders and drive-by malware browser enhancement installers

yeah previously ads and trackers had to be manually installed by the user. now they're part of w3c thanks to failfox and chome.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Shaggar thinks that ActiveX was better than JavaScript.

yeah any of the languages you could write in for activex are better than javascript.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
imo the web went downhill after ie7, since that's about when facebook, twitter and youtube started up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
failfox and chome are responsible for the proliferation of social networks and the javascript required to support them.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah previously ads and trackers had to be manually installed by the user. now they're part of w3c thanks to failfox and chome.

lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

chrome is planning on completely killing 3rd party cookies in the near-future. in conclusion, a land of contrasts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that just means they've built a different way to track people and they're trying to undercut their competition

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm still okay with it since it will make other terrible people suffer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
yeah. browser fingerprinting has been a known concept for at least 10 years now, so removing third-party cookies just means that they've built that to a point where it's even more effective. security theater.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the only web site I've ever interacted with that requires third-party cookies is login.live.com

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

oh good I wouldn't want to deprive myself of alphabet's excellent ad service of showing me things I've already bought

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

chrome is planning on completely killing 3rd party cookies in the near-future. in conclusion, a land of contrasts

They aren't killing them until the advertisers who use them have a working alternative so yeah it's kind of pointless.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

necrotic posted:

They aren't killing them until the advertisers who use them have a working alternative so yeah it's kind of pointless.

ads will be moved to from doubleclick.net to ads.site.com then maybe site.com/ads/ then finally the site will move to doubleclick.net/site.com/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Perplx posted:

ads will be moved to from doubleclick.net to ads.site.com then maybe site.com/ads/ then finally the site will move to https://www.google.com/amp/s/site.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

the only web site I've ever interacted with that requires third-party cookies is login.live.com

the one place where theyre actually useful