Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's hard to think Lego really did have a dark age in the late 90s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IBroughttheFunk posted:

gently caress, why is it the meme thread always the very first place that I learn about these things. Literally every single goddamn time. RIP Terry

Dammit I was really thinking Terry Gilliam finally hate-croaked.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

drat. you can still see the original ears in the do-over (left)

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jan 22, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd think old timey people would have a better idea of what animals looked like but I suppose this is what happens before naturalism is a thing.

It's kind of hard to realise that 'Detailed art should maybe try to actually look like what it's a picture of' is a very recent thing. (or maybe a lost art)

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd think old timey people would have a better idea of what animals looked like but I suppose this is what happens before naturalism is a thing.

It's kind of hard to realise that 'Detailed art should maybe try to actually look like what it's a picture of' is a very recent thing. (or maybe a lost art)

Often old art was by people who could draw more naturalistic work but kept to the stylized designs fashionable in their time and culture, much like how people who draw silly cartoony styles today are supposed to practice realistic figure drawing to help inform their more stylized work.

However, you also had a lot of individual artists like those today who only ever work from anime art without ever trying to draw real things, and end up producing work badly designed even within its own genre.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LifeLynx posted:

That sure looks like someone's painting of a sheep from centuries ago, whatever. Have you seen paintings of animals from back then? Things were drawn like someone trying to reconstruct what an animal looked like from what a friend told them. If it wasn't for the Twitter extremely online voice trying to make it into a meme, I wouldn't have noticed.

I mean, wasn't that the case? I imagine most explorers, merchants, travelers, and other people who saw these exotic animals like elephants, lions, hippos, tigers, etc... weren't great artists. So they told a friend about it, he told a friend, and then finally that guy, or like three people later, finally tell someone who can at least sort of draw or paint.

That being said...this is a sheep. How TF did this artist never see a loving sheep in their life?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's hard to think Lego really did have a dark age in the late 90s.

They stopped making things that actually seemed like a model ship or castle and started making just absolute dogshit

Compare the Fright Knights castle with the classic Crusaders/Black Knights sets

Looks like it was made by a 6 year old

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

Compare the Fright Knights castle with the classic Crusaders/Black Knights sets

Looks like it was made by a 6 year old

Then why didn't it sell :confused:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lego was saved by licensing deals, but lost its soul in the process.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

A Grand Egg posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

As stupid as this is it never fails to make me laugh when it pops up every few years.

Not sure why he got probed, this is a vintage meme from the early 2000 "poo poo post" era. Rough around the edges, but a powerful meta critic of the posting style of the time.

I guess because it's not really pc or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IF you said that medieval art looked bad the church would accuse you of witchcraft so everyone had to go along with it. "Oh yeah, that's totally and recognizably a lion"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That meme was an instant probe back in the day iirc

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IBroughttheFunk posted:

gently caress, why is it the meme thread always the very first place that I learn about these things. Literally every single goddamn time. RIP Terry

https://twitter.com/MrPeanut/status/1220013408180895745

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

euphronius posted:

Ah, didn't know that. Ty friend.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

loving outstanding

I laughed when I saw how small it was. It's like a knocker for a cat door! :3:

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

That dude who kept threatening to kill Mr. Peanut finally did it. The absolute madman

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

euphronius posted:

It wasn't

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Goddammit

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paladinus posted:

It's Jesus.

MY AGNUS IS BLEEDING!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fister Roboto posted:

MY AGNUS IS BLEEDING!!!

This is the kind of mixture of high and low brow that I come to this forum for

It's like caviar mac & cheese or something

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Didn't Biden go on a rant talking about a fight with Mr. Peanut 40 years ago?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fister Roboto posted:

MY AGNUS IS BLEEDING!!!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

MR. PEANUT DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Peanut: I have information that will lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zoux posted:

IF you said that medieval art looked bad the church would accuse you of witchcraft so everyone had to go along with it. "Oh yeah, that's totally and recognizably a lion"
Some art was sponsored by old rich dudes and those old rich dudes would have their likeness put somewhere in the art, especially as Jesus. That may explain the eyes and mouth.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Fister Roboto posted:

MY AGNUS IS BLEEDING!!!

Dios mio!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Luv2 Interact With Brands Online

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/MrPeanut/status/1220030475131150336

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

This version of the future is the worst one

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This version of the future is the worst one

I loving hate living in the mirror universe

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I choose to believe Corporate Twitter is actually run by bots & this is a sign that we're this much closer to Skynet launching the nukes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Danaru posted:

I loving hate living in the mirror universe

I'm not convinced this is the full-on mirror universe. I think this is just the timeline where George Bailey was never born AND Biff got to keep the sports almanac.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

I'm not convinced this is the full-on mirror universe. I think this is just the timeline where George Bailey was never born AND Biff got to keep the sports almanac.

I mean, if mirror universes are a thing, every universe is some other universe's mirror. If we have a mirror universe we're their mirror just as they're ours.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean, wasn't that the case? I imagine most explorers, merchants, travelers, and other people who saw these exotic animals like elephants, lions, hippos, tigers, etc... weren't great artists. So they told a friend about it, he told a friend, and then finally that guy, or like three people later, finally tell someone who can at least sort of draw or paint.

That being said...this is a sheep. How TF did this artist never see a loving sheep in their life?

Look up Conrad Gesner's drawings of whales that were based on descriptions alone. The dude was an amazing zoologist and great at drawing very accurate and anatomically correct animals if he could actually see them. But his attempts to draw whales (and various other real and imaginary creatures that he only had secondhand accounts of) are loving hilarious.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Post your favorite long ear villain