Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Schiff is great still but I can hear him starting to lose his words at the end here. I can sympathize, that is a long-rear end time to be coherent. Sekulow sounded terribly angry about the whole thing.

Also lol at Blackburn getting caught not being in the chamber. Of course there wont be any consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

oxsnard posted:

Schiff is a robot and they're just methodically punishing the GOP for their bullshit. This is great

i mean end result is still that everything gets rejected and the mcconnell rules are still voted in but who knows, hopefully a soundbite or two will land after the GOP got dumped on for however many hours straight

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Sekulow seemed pretty "triggered" for most of this.

Its also pretty telling that after the last vote, Mitch was shaking hands with Trumps legal goon squad.

Unfortunately this is all going to be a big nothing burger.

Hopefully people are more informed than before the process, I just think a lot of GOP base can't be reached anymore.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So, they settled on no witnesses? Just going to move forward with a quick acquittal?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

LeeMajors posted:

So, they settled on no witnesses? Just going to move forward with a quick acquittal?

I think all they settled on is that the decision on witnesses will come after the initial days of prosecution and defense making their cases, so the concern is more that by the time the witness vote has happened people will have tuned out and McConnell will have bribed whoever is on the fence

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

They'll vote on allowing witnesses and evidence after the trial. It makes it much more efficient to bury everything.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BougieBitch posted:

I think all they settled on is that the decision on witnesses will come after the initial days of prosecution and defense making their cases, so the concern is more that by the time the witness vote has happened people will have tuned out and McConnell will have bribed whoever is on the fence

Random Stranger posted:

They'll vote on allowing witnesses and evidence after the trial. It makes it much more efficient to bury everything.

Ah yes, so they can scream there is "NO THERE, THERE" and "CLOCK AND CALENDAR" and fuss about process then dismiss the whole thing.

Makes sense.

Goddamn it.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I thought this all was supposed to start today, did I get my dates mixed up?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ummel posted:

I thought this all was supposed to start today, did I get my dates mixed up?

Yesterday was voting on the rules of the trial. You didn't miss much.

Today begins the opening arguments for the democrats. They get 24 hours spread across the next 3 days, so 8 hours each day.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BougieBitch posted:

it is dumb but I think people will be 'tuned out' no matter what, 8 hour sessions of literally just the same three people rambling starting at like noon and going until night are really loving boring.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The boring is by design. Even the camera placement is so that you can’t see how many senators are in the room or how they’re responding. McConnell is trying to make the proceedings as dry and repetitive as possible so that people will tune out and he can strangle this without people watching.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

M.c.P posted:

The boring is by design. Even the camera placement is so that you can’t see how many senators are in the room or how they’re responding. McConnell is trying to make the proceedings as dry and repetitive as possible so that people will tune out and he can strangle this without people watching.
Which... well, we'll see how that works. I suspect that the YouTube Clip nature of American media consumption is going to make this ineffective. Nobody is going to watch 8 hours live, but I think a lot of people are going to get the 'highlights'. Like, I don't even watch sports live anymore, just 30 minutes of red zone highlights on Sunday afternoon.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
everyone gets a 30 second facebook clip of [republican toady] shouting "HOW DDDDDDAAAAARE YOU, SIR!!" with the headline "[republican toady] destroys democrat hoax" and when you talk to them about the news of the day they smugly smile and say "looks like that democrat hoax got destroyed" and when you try to explain they shout "fake news" until you walk away.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, yeah, Facebook and YouTube are a plague, but my point is that you can't make impeachment so boring that no one pays attention.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

InsertPotPun posted:

everyone gets a 30 second facebook clip of [republican toady] shouting "HOW DDDDDDAAAAARE YOU, SIR!!" with the headline "[republican toady] destroys democrat hoax" and when you talk to them about the news of the day they smugly smile and say "looks like that democrat hoax got destroyed" and when you try to explain they shout "fake news" until you walk away.

The same can be done from the other side. A super cut of damning evidence being presented by Democrats with cuts to McConnell repeatedly tabling the amendments with increasingly bloody, wet eyes does not look great for Republicans. Or cuts to the president's smug dickhead lawyers making dumb arguments. There's a wealth of video to make attacks from.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL this loving dolt.

https://twitter.com/RepValDemings/status/1220017702011535364

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

M.c.P posted:

i'm sort of confused by the projected brevity of the trial for this reason; last i heard, they wanted it to be done in less than two weeks. wouldn't that keep people at least partially interested, or is the brevity some kind of insurance to make sure that things are mishandled?

:rolleyes:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1220018651362779136 That was quick.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
No you see he just means the Democrats have nothing viable to justify impeachment, because the call transcript and the tweets and the arguments and Alan Dershowitz all prove no collusion, no quid pro quo, etc.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Big boy did a good job!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cash crab posted:

i'm sort of confused by the projected brevity of the trial for this reason; last i heard, they wanted it to be done in less than two weeks. wouldn't that keep people at least partially interested, or is the brevity some kind of insurance to make sure that things are mishandled?

:rolleyes:

Its because every day they wait new evidence comes out about crimes and makes their whitewash shitshow even more transparently morally bankrupt and corrupt. I appreciate the Senator who read the GAO criminal report on withholding of aid to Ukraine into the record verbatim last night.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A bit of schadenfreude: Turley, the WH's legal expert whose opinion the White House made so much of a month or two ago, called bullshit on Cipollone's arguments.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/house-gops-legal-expert-torches-whs-defense-against-impeachment

It probably won't matter in the long run, but I get a measure of satisfaction from the fact that even those ostensibly on Trump's side think that defense's arguments are weak.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

What started this entire thing was the white house releasing the transcript of their abuse of power entirely unprompted. He should have been impeached then & there. He went on live television and openly bragged about obstructing justice by firing Comey.

It’s getting real tiring but Trump’s already been shown multiple times that he can openly brag about his abuses of power and get away with it. So what’s one more?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A bit of schadenfreude: Turley, the WH's legal expert whose opinion the White House made so much of a month or two ago, called bullshit on Cipollone's arguments.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/house-gops-legal-expert-torches-whs-defense-against-impeachment

It probably won't matter in the long run, but I get a measure of satisfaction from the fact that even those ostensibly on Trump's side think that defense's arguments are weak.

Turley only cares about one guy - Turley!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Turley just wants more airtime and will say whatever he thinks will get it for him.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh, for sure. I just think it's funny that the GOP put so much stock in his opinion and now he's turning around and saying, "Well...this argument doesn't actually make sense, guys."

e: Little things like this give me hope. I know the GOP will probably acquit, but it looks like Trump and everyone involved with defending him will make it as tough for the Republicans as possible.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 22, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

What started this entire thing was the white house releasing the transcript of their abuse of power entirely unprompted. He should have been impeached then & there. He went on live television and openly bragged about obstructing justice by firing Comey.

It’s getting real tiring but Trump’s already been shown multiple times that he can openly brag about his abuses of power and get away with it. So what’s one more?

I mean he can literally do anything and get away with it as long as the GOP has 35 senators and he has the white house.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It still irritates that the phone call can't just be "harmless" or innocuous" or "above board"...nope. It has to be perfect. The best phone call

Many people are saying it's the best phone call they've ever heard. Just perfect.

Also really tired of "read the transcript".

IT's not a transcript, we already did read it and that's why you are impeached.

Yesterday I heard Shciff refusing to call Dershowitz a liar for saying Republicans were shut out and not allowed in the closed door hearings (they were). gently caress it. Just say "he's lying and he knows this is not true but he's saying it anyway. The question is why?"

Also heard several people playing recordings of house testimony and it got me wondering if they could read allowed from some of the newer tweets and poo poo or is that limited to the house hearings?

A lot of people think Bolton can't be trusted to not just fold and, if called, will just say "yep, perfect phone call" but I get the feeling he really loving hates Trump and would actually give him up.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mcmagic posted:

I mean he can literally do anything and get away with it as long as the GOP has 35 senators and he has the white house.

Yeah to be clear I’m not dragging you for posting that. I’m just getting exhausted seeing the president openly brag about his crimes and then having people around me & the press act like this is a real head scratcher or flat out denying what he’s saying. I’m just so tired and run down by it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

PIZZA.BAT posted:

all the graffiti in maralargo is about what to do to make the most of the classified info trump just accidentally blurted out while ordering from the omelette bar "know troop movements? fast american cash now!"

Kale
May 14, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

It still irritates that the phone call can't just be "harmless" or innocuous" or "above board"...nope. It has to be perfect. The best phone call

Many people are saying it's the best phone call they've ever heard. Just perfect.

Also really tired of "read the transcript".

IT's not a transcript, we already did read it and that's why you are impeached.

Yesterday I heard Shciff refusing to call Dershowitz a liar for saying Republicans were shut out and not allowed in the closed door hearings (they were). gently caress it. Just say "he's lying and he knows this is not true but he's saying it anyway. The question is why?"

Also heard several people playing recordings of house testimony and it got me wondering if they could read allowed from some of the newer tweets and poo poo or is that limited to the house hearings?

A lot of people think Bolton can't be trusted to not just fold and, if called, will just say "yep, perfect phone call" but I get the feeling he really loving hates Trump and would actually give him up.

My favorite in recent memory was after Mike Lee a diehard Republican hack under any other circumstances stated he attended the worst low information military action briefing he'd ever witnessed since entering congress and Trump only being to insist as a counter that no in fact plenty of generals took the time out of their schedule to personally call him up and say it was actually the greatest briefing they'd ever received as if that is an even remotely plausible scenario. Naturally Trump who loves to self-aggrandize only felt this was worth mentioning like a couple days after Lee came out that it was such a bad briefing that it made him switch positions to supporting a Kaine amendment to limit presidential powers concerning Iran policy.

It's not infuriating to me, just incredibly dumb how it's so blatantly obvious he's full of poo poo to anybody stopping to think logically about most of the poo poo he says and happens around him. Very few people I've ever witnessed lie this badly and frequently in public let alone a President, but it probably gets easier and easier to do the more his party becomes a cult for him and his family.

Also yeah it cannot be stressed enough how bad it is that congress has effectively been reduced to the petty bullshit that's now being paraded before the nation where one party kind of sort of gives a poo poo about reality and there's just this constant sniping, grousing and demonizing, 90% of which comes from one side of the aisle. Like the GOP is just about the most ineffective useless whiny political party I've ever seen in any democracy and people are supposed to sit there and take what they have to say collectively about anything seriously.

That does kind of irritate me because I'm frankly not big on perpetually whiny shitheads. Like when the Democrats were out of power for the first two years of the Trump presidency I seriously don't remember any of them sitting there and bloody well whining about it and how perpetually unfair the GOP was being to them (and they were frankly but that's beside the point) every single day, but the GOP whines about literally everything it can find like it's a natural reflex action. Like how do you look at that behavior, their voting record and legislative achievements that amount this decade to a lovely tax cut for the top 1% and arrive at the conclusion that there's strong robust leadership and that anything meaningful is being accomplished in the U.S congress.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 22, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Schiff's good at this, putting him in charge was smart.

It's also very funny to me that trump's go-to for him is "pencil neck" because.. like.. it seems like Schiff is a reasonably tall and not particularly skinny dude?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eke out posted:

Schiff's good at this, putting him in charge was smart.

It's also very funny to me that trump's go-to for him is "pencil neck" because.. like.. it seems like Schiff is a reasonably tall and not particularly skinny dude?

If you're too skinny to be fat and too tall to be short, you have to be a pencil neck. Process of bully elimination.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

If you're too skinny to be fat and too tall to be short, you have to be a pencil neck. Process of bully elimination.

Especially when the bully in question is a fat, orange lardball.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Oracle posted:

Schiff is a vegan and a runner. My money's on Schiff in a cage fight.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Why not brag about it? It's not like he's going to get removed from office.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Why not brag about it? It's not like he's going to get removed from office.

Technically there's nothing in the constitution that says the President can't shoot anyone he wants to.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what happens if the Senate acquits? Nothing? Or more GOP under a microscope?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

So what happens if the Senate acquits? Nothing? Or more GOP under a microscope?

After they acquit there might be more articles sent over for them to also acquit him on.

Acquittal is guaranteed, it's just how painful it will be for the Republicans to do so that is the question. Don't bother hoping they'll remove, nothing can make that a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Schiff does a great job of raising his voice right when my attention span wanes.