Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone posted:

John de Lancie as an old-rear end version of Q is gonna be an interesting shoehorn.

"Why Picard, I thought you might be comfortable speaking peer-to-peer. Or does seeing my face all tired and wrinkled make you think too much of your impending death? Can't say I know the feeling, but I imagine it's... mortifying."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

"Why Picard, I thought you might be comfortable speaking peer-to-peer. Or does seeing my face all tired and wrinkled make you think too much of your impending death? Can't say I know the feeling, but I imagine it's... mortifying."

That does sound exactly like a thing Q would say.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I hope Gates McFadden shows up. He's the best twitter follow. She's become a super sweet grandma. Just a month ago she had surgery for a seperated collar bone and posted while high AF on painkillers and it was just the absolute best.

She was the choreographer for Labyrinth

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Croatoan posted:

I hope Gates McFadden shows up. He's the best twitter follow. She's become a super sweet grandma. Just a month ago she had surgery for a seperated collar bone and posted while high AF on painkillers and it was just the absolute best.

Genuinely they should have her in as the captain of the medical ship she was captain of in All Good Things. Because a) it would be a neat callback and b) Crusher should be Captain Crusher.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

Genuinely they should have her in as the captain of the medical ship she was captain of in All Good Things. Because a) it would be a neat callback and b) Crusher should be Captain Crusher.

She should be the head of Starfleet Medical, pioneering life saving techniques across the galaxy in her badass Hospital ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

<Picard's dinky little freighter or whatever is about to be blown up>

Sir, there's another ship coming in! It's... the Pasteur!

<Crusher's hospital ship swoops dramatically across the screen to the main theme and blasts the bad guys away>

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Oh yeah in the future all star fleet ships get that one-shot-kill phaser cannon"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

John de Lancie as an old-rear end version of Q is gonna be an interesting shoehorn.

Nah

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m really looking forward to hearing the theme music, and seeing what it’ll be. Maybe they’ll pay homage to the TNG theme, maybe it’ll be dubstep?

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I’m really looking forward to hearing the theme music, and seeing what it’ll be. Maybe they’ll pay homage to the TNG theme, maybe it’ll be dubstep?

Faith of the Heart (Skrillex Remix)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Soundtrack is entirely vaporwave

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Discovery has a lovely theme. I expect Picard's will be pretty good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rhyno posted:

Discovery has a lovely theme.

Couldn't tell you a drat thing about the Discovery theme, and I've seen every episode.

Fakeedit: like, can't even hum a single measure of any kind of musical leitmotif in that series whatsoever, besides when they tossed out the Enterprise motif a few times whenever it was on-screen.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Recommending Michelle Yeoh movies and only including western movies

I know what you mean, but this made me think of Michelle Yeoh in a cowboy hat walking moseying into a saloon with those swingy half-doors and saying "howdy, pardner" and suddenly I need this to be real.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone posted:

Couldn't tell you a drat thing about the Discovery theme, and I've seen every episode.

Fakeedit: like, can't even hum a single measure of any kind of musical leitmotif in that series whatsoever, besides when they tossed out the Enterprise motif a few times whenever it was on-screen.

I thought I had it but realized I was humming the Downton Abbey theme.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nolpET4mgiI

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

I know what you mean, but this made me think of Michelle Yeoh in a cowboy hat walking moseying into a saloon with those swingy half-doors and saying "howdy, pardner" and suddenly I need this to be real.

Now I'm okay with Discovery doing a holodeck episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

If this is not the closing credits theme I will be pissed.

*dramatic zoom onto Picard’s face as the episode draws to a close*

*smash cut to -

CAP-TAIN JEAN-LUC-PIC-ARD...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mllaneza posted:

Now I'm okay with Discovery doing a holodeck episode.

Holospores.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Just loving dump the old continuity and commit to a hard loving reboot. Hell, they can call it a parallel timeline in the same "multiverse" or whatever, but just stop trying to pretend the new poo poo fits into the history or future of the prior shows and it can open so many options.

From a couple pages back...but Disco is set in the "main"/prime timeline, right? I'm sure there was plenty of goon discussion on it, but it seems like just having it be the Kelvin timeline would basically automatically fix any issues regarding continuity, anachronistic technology and styles, etc...

Any reason they went prime timeline?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

DrBouvenstein posted:

Didn't Discovery S1 get produced before the Viacom-CBS merger brought all of Trek back under one company?

For a good long while the rights were split between Paramount (movies) and CBS (TV).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrBouvenstein posted:

There was some bullshit about not being allowed to do a show set in the Kelvin timeline because of the Paramount/CBS split.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

I thought I had it but realized I was humming the Downton Abbey theme.

They’ve both got similar staccato violin sections with smoother themes playing over them, so you’re not a million miles off base.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
75% of things wrong with Disco can be usually traced back to some high-as-gently caress decision made by Bryan Fuller, and the last two seasons have been desperately struggling to dig themselves out his influence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Yeah, my biggest issue with the Disco theme, or the music that plays over the opening, anyway, is that it fails the whistle test. You can't whistle or hum it. There's no melody.

HD DAD posted:

75% of things wrong with Disco can be usually traced back to some high-as-gently caress decision made by Bryan Fuller, and the last two seasons have been desperately struggling to dig themselves out his influence.

I think they would've been fine if Fuller had been around to actually do them, but the problem is that they got dumped on producers who had absolutely different vision to him but no time to change things so it just ended up clashing and weird and trying to change stuff after it's been established to fit the new vision.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HD DAD posted:

If the network had gone along with Fuller's ideas Discovery would have been an anthology show with a different story, cast, and time period every season.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Would totally believe you if you told me Disco had no incidental music at all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My biggest problem with Disco’s music is that the only time it’s ever memorable is when it tries to ape the Giacchino themes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fuller's Disco would probably have been more TOS-compliant than the Disco we got. Fuller was very much a TOS fanboy, which is why the show was set when it was, but the people who took over clearly didn't care about fitting into TOS that much.

Hell, look at the detailing on his Discovery compared to the one we got. Still different, but something you could see being related to TMP design styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WK86TRPSs8

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 22, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obviously the theme should be, well, disco.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh yeah, Guinan. Y'know what, hell yeah, bring back Guinan.

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1220028276879568897

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

According to All Good Things he actually married Leah Brahms, so either she got divorced or her old husband died... or Geordi really did marry Holobrahms and everyone is pretending she's real to humour him :tinfoil:

I'm sorry Leah, your husband wanted to see the Dilithium refiner so badly, but the railing over the crusher, it gave way. I tried to warn him but he was too interested in the machinery. I'm so sorry.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, my biggest issue with the Disco theme, or the music that plays over the opening, anyway, is that it fails the whistle test. You can't whistle or hum it. There's no melody.

To quote myself from last time this came up, re: the opening titles

quote:

A series of unconnected Star Trek references set to musical wallpaper that's sprinkled with familiar echoes but never actually develops into its own melody.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I used to hate Guinan as a kid but now as a grown up she's cool. Her borgsplanation ruled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Fuller's Disco would probably have been more TOS-compliant than the Disco we got. Fuller was very much a TOS fanboy, which is why the show was set when it was, but the people who took over clearly didn't care about fitting into TOS that much.

Hell, look at the detailing on his Discovery compared to the one we got. Still different, but something you could see being related to TMP design styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WK86TRPSs8

Doesn't change the fundamental flaw, in that the Crossfield class is based on McQuarrie's rejected Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans, and it's loving awful.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Timby posted:

Doesn't change the fundamental flaw, in that the Crossfield class is based on McQuarrie's rejected Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans, and it's loving awful.

The ship grew on me. But who's got that gif where someone TOS'd it up a bit? That was much better.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The Discovery theme is kinda slow. Somehow it reminds me of Westworld so I made this... http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e288b0b8f459-star-trek-discovery-westworld.php

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

Oh yeah, Guinan. Y'know what, hell yeah, bring back Guinan.

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1220028276879568897

I am absolutely fine with the Picard show just becoming a bunch of gratuitous cameos.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Timby posted:

It grew on me as well and this is a little off topic but the plot of Star Trek: Planet of the Titans sounds like it would have been fun if you're into 70s sci-fi like Frederik Pohl or Arthur C. Clarke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

It grew on me as well and this is a little off topic but the plot of Star Trek: Planet of the Titans sounds like it would have been fun if you're into 70s sci-fi like Frederik Pohl or Arthur C. Clarke.

Oh, absolutely. A Star Trek movie with a batshit insane plot, written and directed by Philip Kaufman, with Toshiro Mifune as the Klingon heavy?

Sign me right the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon is such a great idea that it could have carried absolutely everything else about the movie. Even if they crammed in the Spock killing JFK thing or w/e