Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gunder posted:

How would you guys characterise the coffee that a Chemex produces compared to a V60?

I'd put the chemex on par with a dialed in SCAA approved drip machine. Really good, but can't quite reach the clarity of flavor a v60 can get you. The thick filter and steep cone just guarantee a sorta "flattening" of flavors as the bottom of your grounds will always over-extract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So it might be prone to more bitterness? It was my understanding that it would produce less bitterness, not more, due to the thick filters removing more oil from the coffee than a V60 would.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

curried lamb of God posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a grinder and am leaning towards the Mignon Specialita. How well does it work with switching grind sizes? I currently have a cheap hand-me-down Macy's espresso machine and an aeropress, although I plan on getting a Gaggia or Lelit some time in the next few months.

I've got the Mignon Silenzio which, as far as I can tell, is the same grinder minus the Specialita's display. I only use it for espresso and still keep my Baratza Encore around for cold brew and pour over coffee. The Mignon series only has one small, fine adjustment knob for the grind size, which means that you have to turn the knob several revolutions to adjust between espresso and pour over and finding the right grind size when switching back and forth is a complete pain in the rear end.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

This arrived today.

After 10 minutes with it I can see that this will be a learning curve. I'm also bad at foaming milk.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Can a Baratza Encore grind fine enough for a Moka Pot?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gunder posted:

So it might be prone to more bitterness? It was my understanding that it would produce less bitterness, not more, due to the thick filters removing more oil from the coffee than a V60 would.

Not like "bad" over extraction more as in always on the higher side of the window of "acceptable extraction range" in general. The thick paper filter ensures almost no solids or oils end up in the cup, ensuring a smoother cup too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I use a Chemex it tastes like a light tea. I'll take a normal dripper any day.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

consensual poster posted:

I've got the Mignon Silenzio which, as far as I can tell, is the same grinder minus the Specialita's display. I only use it for espresso and still keep my Baratza Encore around for cold brew and pour over coffee. The Mignon series only has one small, fine adjustment knob for the grind size, which means that you have to turn the knob several revolutions to adjust between espresso and pour over and finding the right grind size when switching back and forth is a complete pain in the rear end.

Thanks man! I'll probably get the Mignon and pair it with a hand grinder of some sort for Aeropress.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

obi_ant posted:

It takes a bit of fiddling but i've found that 12-13 is usually good enough for the moka pot.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

obi_ant posted:

You don't necessarily want the finest grind for the moka pot if I recall, though I haven't used it as my main coffee preparation in a while.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah iirc you generally want your moka pot grinds to be coarser than espresso grinds. You'll get a very bitter taste if you are grinding way too fine.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

12 ish is good for moka pot on the encore. Finer than that will taste terrible and set off the pressure release valve.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just tried my first 3-cup Chemex (the smallest model). You guys were definitely right about the flavour. Quite flat compared to a V60, with much less pronounced acidity. I think I probably ground a little too coarse (24 on a Virtuoso+). It wasn't at all unpleasant though. Maybe a method for people that don't enjoy a lot of acidity in their coffee?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

ThirstyBuck posted:

12 ish is good for moka pot on the encore. Finer than that will taste terrible and set off the pressure release valve.

Thanks. I think I'll pick one up and give it a shot.

Gunder posted:

Just tried my first 3-cup Chemex (the smallest model). You guys were definitely right about the flavour. Quite flat compared to a V60, with much less pronounced acidity. I think I probably ground a little too coarse (24 on a Virtuoso+). It wasn't at all unpleasant though. Maybe a method for people that don't enjoy a lot of acidity in their coffee?

I typically use an areopress or a french press. The Chemex gives me a much cleaner and balanced tasting cup of coffee (probably from the giant paper filter). I tend to lean towards something with more body and a bit more viscous than what the Chemex can offer. But I keep the Chemex around because it is good at making coffee that is more pleasant for my wife.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ThirstyBuck posted:

This arrived today.

After 10 minutes with it I can see that this will be a learning curve. I'm also bad at foaming milk.

Enjoy the curve - the milk thing is all about touch and sound.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

With a french press, are there any rules about vessel sizes versus the amount of coffee brewed? I'm assuming you can put any amount of coffee into any sized french press, and as long as your ratio is fine then the size of the vessel itself shouldn't matter? The reason I ask is that nine times out of ten I'm making about 300ml of coffee, but am wondering if it would be alright to get the larger 0.5L version of a press for the few times I'm brewing for more than one person?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gunder posted:

With a french press, are there any rules about vessel sizes versus the amount of coffee brewed? I'm assuming you can put any amount of coffee into any sized french press, and as long as your ratio is fine then the size of the vessel itself shouldn't matter? The reason I ask is that nine times out of ten I'm making about 300ml of coffee, but am wondering if it would be alright to get the larger 0.5L version of a press for the few times I'm brewing for more than one person?

It works fine for me. Just preheat your press and you shouldn't see any excess heat loss while it's brewing. I do anything from 300mL to 800mL in my 1L to account for displacement of the grounds in the water.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm also bad at foaming milk.
Me too. It took me long enough just to learn that I need to purge all the air out of the boiler.... so uhm, that might help a lot if you aren't already doing that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Me too. It took me long enough just to learn that I need to purge all the air out of the boiler.... so uhm, that might help a lot if you aren't already doing that.

Wait what? You don’t foam milk with water, use the steam.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Yes. Steam, not hot air unless you just like blowing bubbles in your milk.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

But why would you get air in your boiler anyways? It should just be steam. I mean, I purge the nozzle before I steam, but I figured that was to eject any condensate in the wand arm.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Re: Chemex chat, I discovered from a Sweet Marias video a while back that you can use V60 filters in a Chemex no problem, which is what I've been doing. It'll be closer to what a V60 puts out but I've found it to be a bit more balanced vs the V60's more bright/acidic taste. Worth trying if you find the output from the Chemex filters to be too light/muted. The same grind you'd use for the V60 should be fine this way — or else maybe one stop more coarse, but I prepare them basically identically.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

But why would you get air in your boiler anyways? It should just be steam. I mean, I purge the nozzle before I steam, but I figured that was to eject any condensate in the wand arm.
In most single boiler, semi-auto home machines the boiler is not refilled as you steam, so if you don't intentionally run water to refill it before the next round of steaming you will quickly empty the boiler (and eventually damage/destroy it). It's not going to ever blow hot air though, just sit there and cook and eventually trip an over-temp circuit. Prolonged/repeated steaming is not the intended use of said machines, and as long as you're always steaming first then pulling your shot you'll never encounter this problem.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

bizwank posted:

In most single boiler, semi-auto home machines the boiler is not refilled as you steam, so if you don't intentionally run water to refill it before the next round of steaming you will quickly empty the boiler (and eventually damage/destroy it). It's not going to ever blow hot air though, just sit there and cook and eventually trip an over-temp circuit. Prolonged/repeated steaming is not the intended use of said machines, and as long as you're always steaming first then pulling your shot you'll never encounter this problem.

Super interesting. I have a HX machine, and I guess I’ve run out of steam pressure rather than had a problem.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Come for the inhomogeneous density, stay for the orthogonal flavors.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Except coffee "beans" are actually cherry pits/seeds so...

mystes
May 31, 2006

bizwank posted:

Except coffee "beans" are actually cherry pits/seeds so...
Next you're going to be telling us that peanuts aren't nuts, raspberries aren't berries, and soymilk isn't milk.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Nah I don't care about any of that crap, this is the coffee thread :coffeepal:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has got any experience with the Breville/Sage Bambino Plus? Seems like it might be a decent beginner espresso machine?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Delonghi EC680 is half the price, nearly identical in function and performance plus you can actually get parts and service for it, unlike Breville machines.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So a little over a year ago I got a Porlex and Aeropress. I’ve always loved coffee (Bustelo was my go-to that I never really strayed from) but was trying to figure out if I was far enough right on the spectrum to become obsessed with coffee. After finding a fantastic local toaster (Flight coffee) and making some truly great coffee (and some bad coffee) it turns out I am.

Lately I was getting frustrated with my coffee consistently coming out bitter and sour and noticed my grind was pretty inconsistent, so I bit the bullet and upgraded from the Porlex to a Lido E (I know it’s geared towards espresso, but it can do anything and I liked the look of it more than the Lido 3).

The thing is amazing, it’s over 2 lbs of cast stainless steel and super thick plastic. You could probably dispatch an intruder with it. Loading it, grinding, and generally touching it feels great, though adjusting the grind setting could be better. It could easily hold 70 grams of coffee and will grind it faster than the Porlex did for 30 grams. I also switched from the Aeropress to a V60 and after a couple of (super bitter) cups dialing it in I think I’ve got it (~3 min drawdown for 300ml, using James Hoffman’s method) I am definitely making the best coffee I’ve ever had. I honestly think the V60 is more convenient than the Aeropress as well, actual brew time is only a minute more but cleanup seems easier and I don’t have to worry about temperature as much (just get the water boiling instead of shooting for ~92C with the Aeropress).

Question: as I dial in other coffees, what’s the difference between the sour taste you get from under-extraction and the acidity that’s nice to have in higher elevation/natural process/lighter roasts? Sometimes I taste some tanginess and I don’t know whether it should be there or not.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am not an expert by any means but as far as I know that "sourness" from underextraction is the same as the fruity acidity you're looking for, it's just not balanced by the sweeter notes that you get from a proper extraction so it comes off as sour because that's really the only flavor you're getting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's why I prefer a good blend. Fancy coffee is expensive now and I don't want to gamble with single origins that taste like blueberry tea.

Though my local grocery started roasting their own coffee and a 12oz bag is $11 and it's by far the cheapest option in the city for specialty coffee.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Single origins that taste like blueberry tea.

Stuff like this is pretty much all I want to drink anymore.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I love those two posts in succession.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When using my moka pot, the boil on the stove is pretty violent. How do I stop it from spitting out the coffee in this fashion? Is it my grind size or the size of my flame? I think my grind size is pretty good, considering I basically mimicked the grind that came with the coffee (also the suggested sizes here). How low should my flame be?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

obi_ant posted:

When using my moka pot, the boil on the stove is pretty violent. How do I stop it from spitting out the coffee in this fashion? Is it my grind size or the size of my flame? I think my grind size is pretty good, considering I basically mimicked the grind that came with the coffee (also the suggested sizes here). How low should my flame be?

Mine has always done that, I think it's just how they are. I just watch it and close the lid when it gets close to doing its thing (the stream turns a lighter color), then turn off the flame and wait a few moments for it to settle down. :shrug:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Grand Fromage posted:

Hello caffeine thread. I have some recipes I'm going to try that call for adding some instant coffee to the sauce. I know instant coffee is never good, but any suggestions for the better ones?

Pretty late to this but I’ve had great luck simply steeping whole coffee beans in whatever liquid is in the recipe. So if, for example, a mocha ganache recipe calls for two teaspoons of espresso powder dissolved in a cup of heavy cream, instead just heat the heavy cream and add 1/4 cup of whole coffee beans and let them steep for 10 minutes, then strain it out. The flavor is great and doesn’t gently caress with the liquid amount and you can pick good coffee for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

single origins that taste like blueberry tea.

extremely my jam