Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah if I remember correctly, the literal only thing they do with the MMORPG after the terrorist stuff takes over is use it to send someone an in-game message, basically a less-traceable email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah if I remember correctly, the literal only thing they do with the MMORPG after the terrorist stuff takes over is use it to send someone an in-game message, basically a less-traceable email.

There’s some more scenes of writer bickering after that I think, but it totally ceases to have any bearing on the plot and only exists to somehow make the pacing even worse.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I finished William Control's books; really, it's one book split into three parts so he can gouge more money out of you. It remains just as bad all the way to the finish, with the protagonist switching between angry curse-filled rants and flowery purple prose that fills an entire paragraph in response to a question. The third book tries to go for a dark noir feel with gunfights and murders in dive bar bathrooms, but it's overall just really juvenile and absurdly graphic. It's like an angry 16-year-old who idolizes the Columbine shooters wrote it, but it's actually a rich musician closing on 40 (who, according to his social media, now lives in a poly relationship with three alternative models because his wife left him and took their son). It's also loaded with grammatical and spelling errors because it's self-published.

This will probably be the only thread I do that has to have a general trigger warning at the beginning because it's just so obscenely grotesque. Rape, murder, suicide, drugs, pretty much everything except scat play. He inserts his lyrics as dialogue or descriptive text in really clunky, unnatural ways that immediately call attention to the fact that he's using song lyrics. He beats a dude to death with a spreader bar in a sex club and uses the phrase "screaming vaginas" while trying to talk dirty. He says that he can't be a racist because he likes the taste of black pussy. He writes an ode to vaginal flaps during a sex scene where a character's rear end is describe as so enormous that it could blot out the sun.

Not sure if you know but there are a bunch of accusations against William Control of sexual coercion/violence, and essentially forcing women into a sex cult and to do degrading things against their will. His social media obviously portrays it a bit differently.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure if you know but there are a bunch of accusations against William Control of sexual coercion/violence, and essentially forcing women into a sex cult and to do degrading things against their will. His social media obviously portrays it a bit differently.

Oh we spent like a page in here on that before.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Nessa posted:

We actually had to fire a client last year because he was awful and kept harassing us, even calling us names over the phone.

This guy: https://www.amazon.com/ademola-usuanlele/s?k=ademola+usuanlele

He honestly thought his children’s books were going to make him a millionaire. Everything about them is terrible. His regular books don’t have proper chapters and are just several page rants that have him signing off with his name and “The Peacemaker” every time. Even the children’s book had chapters, but instead of being numbered, they were lettered, like Chapter A, Chapter B, etc...

He also believed that NASA is some sort of Satanic force.

I am so glad we are rid of him.

We've discussed this a bit in that thread, but if you don't read it, (a) you're insane and (b) you absolutely must click through that link to see some high-octane wackadoo, especially the children's book.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pastry of the Year posted:

We've discussed this a bit in that thread, but if you don't read it, (a) you're insane and (b) you absolutely must click through that link to see some high-octane wackadoo, especially the children's book.

I’m glad those children not only get to be King and Queen and jointly rule their country (I don’t think that’s how it works) but now possess the skills to get a job as middle management at the factory producing the Kingdom of Edmonton’s unmanned murderdrones.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Well, you have to have a fallback plan.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh we spent like a page in here on that before.

Yeah, chitoryu’s the only reason I know that the dude from Aiden had a sex cult.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

quote:

LYING, FALSEHOODS AND DECEPTIONS are sin. They were the first combination of sin that devil delivered to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden which led to the fall of the first Adam and man. This eventually led to God sending Jesus Christ down in the form of human as the second Adam. Lying, Falsehood and Deceptions by Ademola and Christiana Usuanlele was birthed by our book on Forgiveness. If you can get hold of the Forgiveness before you read this book, it will ring a a louder bell in your ears. You can read them in the order convenient to you. The pattern and structure of both books are identical. This book is a Kingdom Advancement Tool using various scriptures in the Bible and the Holy Spirit to portray lying, falsehoods and deceptions as a serious spiritual and physical issue that should be given all the attention it deserves. It explores some of the causes of lying and some of the spiritual and physical problems caused by lying. These problems caused include disunity, lack of prosperity, lack of peace, lack of everlasting joy, lack of love, stagnation of faith, stagnation of spiritual growth and a whole host of other problems. We have as led by the Spirit of God walked through some ways to stop lying, falsehoods and deceptions as directed by Jesus Christ and we have opened the door for those who want salvation and those who want to rededicate their lives to Jesus Christ. Please do not be shy about reading this book. If you truly believe that you do not have problems with lying, you can use the book to guide others to learn how to stop lying, falsehoods and deception or to prevent them from getting themselves entangled in lies/falsehoods and deception which is a Sin. Buy and read a copy today! GOD BLESS YOU.

The description of a book surprisingly named Lying, Falsehoods and Deceptions.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
But are they sins? :thunkher:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I’m glad those children not only get to be King and Queen and jointly rule their country (I don’t think that’s how it works)

It's how it works in Narnia. :shrug:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiggum posted:

It's how it works in Narnia. :shrug:

Also Egypt!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Qwertycoatl posted:

I missed the earlier discussion, but the moment I say this, I thought REAMDE.

Goddamn that's a terrible book. At least at the beginning, it held the potential of being an interesting, nerdy infodump. But then it turns into a technothriller, everyone is a badass, everyone gets paired up by the end and it's all so transparently boys own adventure.

Confession, I read several of Stephenson's early technothrillers and they're fine, even good trashy reads. But REAMDE is a book that doesn't know what it wants to say, and spends 1000 pages not saying it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

nonathlon posted:

I missed the earlier discussion, but the moment I say this, I thought REAMDE.

Goddamn that's a terrible book. At least at the beginning, it held the potential of being an interesting, nerdy infodump. But then it turns into a technothriller, everyone is a badass, everyone gets paired up by the end and it's all so transparently boys own adventure.

Confession, I read several of Stephenson's early technothrillers and they're fine, even good trashy reads. But REAMDE is a book that doesn't know what it wants to say, and spends 1000 pages not saying it.

Yeah, it was a hell of a whiplash for me, too. I'd come fresh off of Cryptonomicon, which I'd enjoyed quite a bit (despite some of the cringy STEMlordery), and figured I'd enjoy his at the time newest book just as much. But nope, there's just... barely anything in there. Keeps going round and round without much of a point.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is the back cover description of PRINCE ZEBRY THE DANCING MOOSE BOOK TWO. Wondering what happened to PRINCE ZEBRY THE DANCING MOOSE BOOK ONE? It doesn't exist!

hahahahaha I'm lying, of course it does, it's just called THE STORY OF GOLD (MAC) & SILVER (FOR THE MOOSE WAR BETWEEN CANADA & NORWAY 2018 - 2019)

An "iconic and precious Moose" versus a "precious and soothing Elk". Who will win?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I really really really want that book.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it was a hell of a whiplash for me, too. I'd come fresh off of Cryptonomicon, which I'd enjoyed quite a bit (despite some of the cringy STEMlordery), and figured I'd enjoy his at the time newest book just as much. But nope, there's just... barely anything in there. Keeps going round and round without much of a point.

My favorite bad bit of Cryptonomicon is when Stevenson has a STEMlord totally own a strawman social constructionist professor, in a scene I have seen in like twelve different SF books and short stories because SF authors really want to re-write some embarrassing conversation they had at a party to be Marine Todd but with scientism

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

my old boss recommended reamde very highly and I had the same arc as pretty much everyone else in here. it was kind of neat to think about the whole t’rain economy interacting with the real world, but then the terrorists took the Eritrean girl to some mine in Canada and I stopped giving half a poo poo about anybody in the story, and therefore stopped reading

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The weird thing about Reamde is it got really, really good reviews. I bought it after reading the AVClub’s A- review of it (back when the AVclub was good) and was so very disappointed.

Though RPO and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo both got similar reviews and were complete rear end, so I think book reviews back then just sucked.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I have a copy of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that I started but never finished. What I can say is that it was the perfect thickness to prop up a wobbly step stool leg when I was hanging a photo last night (yup, could have become my own entry in the OSHA thread).

+1, would use to prop up wobbly step stool or other furniture legs again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I have a copy of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that I started but never finished. What I can say is that it was the perfect thickness to prop up a wobbly step stool leg when I was hanging a photo last night (yup, could have become my own entry in the OSHA thread).

+1, would use to prop up wobbly step stool or other furniture legs again.

Probably the only actual use for that turd. You probably got far enough into it to solve the main mystery, anyway!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
In current events the Romance Writers of America just imploded over racism and some really racist depictions of Chinese people in a book. Like, Fu Manchu level "THE BRONZED SKIN OF THE CHINEE" stuff.
https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1165781318875013120
https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1165781984536227840
https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1165783326063386624
https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1165788146115629056

https://www.claireryanauthor.com/blog/2019/12/27/the-implosion-of-the-rwa

quote:

August 27th, 2019:

Suzan Tisdale files an ethics complaint against Courtney Milan. The meat of the complaint arose out of events on August 25th-26th when Milan, among others, criticized Tisdale on Twitter for keeping Sue Grimshaw on staff at her publishing company as an editor in spite of Grimshaw’s history of being, well, racist and problematic, and also a Trump supporter. Tisdale asserts, with no supporting documentation, that several authors refuse to work with her publishing company because they fear a backlash from Milan. Tisdale further asserts that Milan helped to put an exclusion into the Ethics Policy for social media posts in order to bully others with impunity on Twitter.

Milan is asked to resign (not recuse herself) as chairperson of the Ethics Committee by outgoing RWA president HelenKay Dimon.

September 11th:

Kathryn Lynn Davis files an ethics complaint against Courtney Milan. This complaint concerned Milan’s criticism on August 25th-26th of one of Davis’s books, written in the ‘90s, that contained harmful racist stereotypes of Chinese women. Davis asserts, with no supporting documentation, that she lost a three-book deal because the publishing company feared a backlash from Milan. (Note: Milan is half-Chinese.) Davis also accuses Milan of violating her intellectual property rights, as she posted screenshots from Davis’ book for criticism and commentary, and violating the RWA social media policy.

(Note that as per US copyright law, posting excerpts of a work for the purposes of criticism and analysis is considered fair use.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/01/08/romance-writers-america-cancels-awards-program-writer-racism-controversy/

quote:

Calling the novel a “racist mess,” Milan, who is Chinese American, highlighted a plot line featuring Asian characters with “slightly yellow” skin and “slanted almond eyes,” and noted that the book depicted 19th-century Chinese women as demure, quiet and compliant. “The notion of the submissive Chinese woman is a racist stereotype which fuels higher rates of violence against Asian women,” she wrote. “It is hard not to be upset about something that has done me and my loved ones real harm.”

Davis, the book’s author, responded to the criticism by filing an ethics complaint with Romance Writers of America. “These attacks on me have resulted in my losing a three-book contract with a publisher whom I cannot name because they fear having their own name linked with Ms. Milan’s,” she wrote, claiming the tweets amounted to “cyber-bullying.”

At the time, Milan served as the chair of Romance Writers of America’s ethics committee. Suzan Tisdale, a romance writer and publisher who works with Davis, questioned the appropriateness of allowing Milan to hold that position in a complaint of her own. “This is akin to putting a neo-Nazi in charge of a UN human rights committee,” she wrote, arguing Davis had been unfairly smeared as a racist after she “immersed herself in the Chinese culture for six years.”

"when the ethics chair is ALSO ethnic"

quote:

Even the writers who had complained about Milan’s tweets expressed some level of regret. Tisdale told the Guardian she had only wanted an apology and thought the punishment was too harsh, while Davis walked back her initial claims that she had “lost” a book deal, telling the outlet that the discussion about her contract had only been postponed. She claimed Romance Writers of America’s leadership had encouraged her to file a complaint and she felt they had “used” her.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Wait so there's a Scottish one, a Chinese one, and an Indian one and they're all half-sisters? Who rewrote To Deep for Tears?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

there wolf posted:

Wait so there's a Scottish one, a Chinese one, and an Indian one and they're all half-sisters? Who rewrote To Deep for Tears?

I'm going to presume the backstory here is a typical English colonialist whose favourite pastime is knocking up the help.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.
The best part of the Romance Writers of America thing is that they apparently didn't own romancewritersofamerica.com, so the one and only Chuck Tingle bought it and created a whole site to drag them.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Bless Chuck Tingle, I got quite a laugh out of that.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

The Clowning posted:

The best part of the Romance Writers of America thing is that they apparently didn't own romancewritersofamerica.com, so the one and only Chuck Tingle bought it and created a whole site to drag them.

This is even funnier than it seems at first because he only got involved because the president of the RWA was claiming that he knew the identity of the 'collective of writers behind' Chuck Tingle, who, it has been pretty well established at this point, is just one person. Who did not know the president of the RWA.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Chuck Tingle is the buckaroo of my heart. He has pounded the butt of my frosty-cold soul and filled it with a disturbingly large and unrealistic amount of warmth and love.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

neongrey posted:

This is even funnier than it seems at first because he only got involved because the president of the RWA was claiming that he knew the identity of the 'collective of writers behind' Chuck Tingle, who, it has been pretty well established at this point, is just one person. Who did not know the president of the RWA.

They eventually settled on one person just to keep the voice consistent but many of the early books were ghost or group written.

. . . or so i've been told.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
The controversial book on question also contains a Chinese character who is, if I remember right, half western but isn't recognized as such because she always avoids eyecontact and looks downwards. This, according to the book, is proper etiquette and not a desperate attempt to hide a massive plothole.

Basically, yeah, this book is racist as gently caress.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Author frantically pushes a one sentence ebook update 'I talked to my therapist yesterday and I'm coming to realize that my upbringing wasn't normal after all and I was just in a super abusive home.'

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Screaming Idiot posted:

Chuck Tingle is the buckaroo of my heart. He has pounded the butt of my frosty-cold soul and filled it with a disturbingly large and unrealistic amount of warmth and love.

I haven't even read any of his stuff but even as a life-long atheist I'm pretty sure he's doing God's work, and anyone picking the side opposed to whatever side Chuck Tingle is on, is on the wrong side.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/Blackbow-Re-Armed-Novella-Greg-Ramsay-ebook/dp/B083RPYVGZ

quote:

In the year 2452, a young Bruce Knight unhappily joins his family in Emilia City’s temple on the planet Tamashiri where The Mother delivers an impassioned sermon about the Goddess KamaGiri for all of her Children. Bruce, a young disabled outcast, grows up with the struggles of culturally accentuated bullying from both wopeeps, (Earth 2020 translation: females) and his fellow mepeeps, (Earth 2020 translation: males). But this already disenfranchised youth is too young to understand that he should’ve been thrown off the Cliff of Yeet after he was born for his circumstances; instead he finds himself living in a city that already hates him for existing before he’s old enough to understand why.

Emilia City belongs to the wopeeps. Otherwise known as The Reds, they are self-proclaimed true Descendants of the Goddess KamaGiri whom believe themselves made in her image during the Re-Birthing. Young Bruce quickly learns that mepeeps have the divine honour of serving wopeeps should they deign to allow them during the yearly hallowed Reflection Ceremonies, that is if they’re lucky. For wopeeps are the better of mepeeps in every way, some even have Goddess-like powers. Bruce’s mother Serenity is by her own claim a powerful wopeep, who rarely treats him to anything other than her dominant aggression as is a wopeep’s right. Together with his father, the maligned and meek Chronicler Jonathan, Serenity Knight will forge Bruce into a weapon or kill him trying. And all for a war only she seems convinced is coming… A war with the Mottled, or Mots: a mysterious faction of hulking beings whom she believes will kill them all in their quest to seize the Sacred Goddess statue. Thereby proving themselves the true Descendants once and for all. Will Bruce survive the chaos brewing in the political maelstrom of his world, or will the many trials of his mysterious destiny and a potential war not of his making destroy him?

I found this, and needed someone else to feel my pain.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“Cliff of Yeet” would be fantastic in some sort of satirical modern day attempt at a pulp schlockfest and I’m sad its in that garbage fire instead.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

MOOOOM! Jimmy is writing bizarro fiction again! make him stop!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I hate every word more than the last, good find.

Ed. Lol he changed the synopsis

quote:

In the year 2452, a young mepeep, Bruce Knight, finds himself living in a city that already hates him for existing before he’s old enough to understand why.

Emilia City belongs to the wopeeps. Wopeeps are seen as the better of mepeeps in every way, some even have Goddess-like powers. Bruce’s mother Serenity is by her own claim a powerful wopeep, and is happy to ensure everyone knows it. Together with his father, the maligned and meek Chronicler Jonathan, Serenity Knight will forge Bruce into a weapon or kill him trying. And all for a war only she seems convinced is coming…

Will anyone survive the chaos brewing in the political maelstrom of his world, or will the many trials of his mysterious destiny and a potential war not of his making destroy him?

Author’s Note:
Re-edited by Jacqui Corn-Uys of Finishing Touches Editing as of 01/26/20.
This story is a continuation of the world established in the epilogue of Lia, Human of Utah (3rd Edition). Lia’s post-apocalyptic sci-fi horror tale can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XDDGQ3V
I recommend you read all of Lia’s journey before reading Blackbow Re-Armed for the sake of context, though it shouldn't be necessary.

This work shares a title and slightly modified cover with my unpublished original Blackbow, but it is entirely different. In fact this story only shares some character names in common with the original.

Alien Sex Manual has a new favorite as of 09:46 on Feb 2, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if there's anything fantasy needs, it's immersion-breaking sidebars explaining your utterly inane pseudoslang.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

if there's anything fantasy needs, it's immersion-breaking sidebars explaining your utterly inane pseudoslang.

It's just bringing fantasy novels closer to their ideal form: tabletop roleplaying sourcebooks

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Clicking to look inside was...an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
they say abreast instead of amen because they are women, sorry, woolooloos.